WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Vinum Cellars

It's a little-known fact that "Vinum" gets its name from the wine secreted by the Cobranet snake. They're positively vinumous! The reason that it's a little-known fact is because it's completely untrue. Salud!

Cesare

quality posts: 1619 Private Messages Cesare

Vinum Cellars

Vinum Cellars Zinfandel (6)
$59.99 $113.00 47% off List Price
2011 Vinum Cellars California Zinfandel

Vinum Cellars Rosé of Cabernet (6)
$59.99 $109.00 45% off List Price
2012 Rosé of Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa Valley

Vinum Cellars California Chardonnay (6)
2011 Vinum Cellars California Chardonnay, North Coast

Vinum Cellars Mixed (6)
2011 Vinum Cellars California Chardonnay, North Coast
2011 Vinum Zinfandel, Paso Robles

Vinum Cellars Zinfandel/ Rosé Mixed Case
$99.99 $211.00 53% off List Price
2011 Vinum Zinfandel, Paso Robles

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

cortot20

quality posts: 142 Private Messages cortot20

Notes on the rose,

1/9/2014
I picked this bottle up from the Fedex office near my house this afternoon and then put it into the fridge to head out for the evening.
After returning from dinner and putting my 1 1/2 year old little boy to bed (mr toots as I call him) my wife and I cracked open the bottle to spend some time taking a hard look and drink at this wine. By the way, I do love twist offs so bravo there.

I was initially struck by the color of the wine, the 1/4 glass I poured was a very pale pink but a full glass became nearly orange/red. I think this is due to the watery look of the wine. With more in the glass it looks much more concentrated. The wine is clear as it should be and is in my opinion a very pretty color.

The other aspect that struck me upon pouring a glass was the aroma. I smelled it from several feet away before even picking up the glass. The nose is initially slightly off-putting for a rose, I typically expect a blast of fruit but this was initially very peppery, think green pepper not bell pepper if that makes any sense. The red fruits I could pick out were cranberry and then strawberry, the real term for the nose is probably very heavy on red fruits but I thought the cranberry note was pretty pervasive.

The wine is dry, it has a slight sweetness to it but I wouldn't put it out of the dry category. It feels like a light/medium white wine on the tongue. It opens very light but the noticeable soft tannins on the finish pull it into feeling a little heavier. Of course it is a rose of Cab so it makes sense that it would be slightly heavier than your typical rose of pinot or grenache. The palate has none of the green pepper and nice heavy dose of red fruits, with a bit more of the strawberry now. It has a fairly long and lingering finish especially for a rose and the flavor takes a good 10 seconds to fully leave your mouth.

I recommend this wine completely if you like a more interesting rose than your typical big fresh off the press fruity red fruit bomb. I sadly did not try it with food and I think it would hold well as it had good acidity, but thoroughly enjoyed it as a sipper this evening. If you are looking for comparisons I would personally rank this as not quite as good as the WC pinkie swear but definitely a step up from the El Dorado rose of grenache and the Menlo rose of something or other.

CT

losthighwayz

quality posts: 59 Private Messages losthighwayz
cortot20 wrote:Notes on the rose,

1/9/2014
I picked this bottle up from the Fedex office near my house this afternoon and then put it into the fridge to head out for the evening.
After returning from dinner and putting my 1 1/2 year old little boy to bed (mr toots as I call him) my wife and I cracked open the bottle to spend some time taking a hard look and drink at this wine. By the way, I do love twist offs so bravo there.

I was initially struck by the color of the wine, the 1/4 glass I poured was a very pale pink but a full glass became nearly orange/red. I think this is due to the watery look of the wine. With more in the glass it looks much more concentrated. The wine is clear as it should be and is in my opinion a very pretty color.

The other aspect that struck me upon pouring a glass was the aroma. I smelled it from several feet away before even picking up the glass. The nose is initially slightly off-putting for a rose, I typically expect a blast of fruit but this was initially very peppery, think green pepper not bell pepper if that makes any sense. The red fruits I could pick out were cranberry and then strawberry, the real term for the nose is probably very heavy on red fruits but I thought the cranberry note was pretty pervasive.

The wine is dry, it has a slight sweetness to it but I wouldn't put it out of the dry category. It feels like a light/medium white wine on the tongue. It opens very light but the noticeable soft tannins on the finish pull it into feeling a little heavier. Of course it is a rose of Cab so it makes sense that it would be slightly heavier than your typical rose of pinot or grenache. The palate has none of the green pepper and nice heavy dose of red fruits, with a bit more of the strawberry now. It has a fairly long and lingering finish especially for a rose and the flavor takes a good 10 seconds to fully leave your mouth.

I recommend this wine completely if you like a more interesting rose than your typical big fresh off the press fruity red fruit bomb. I sadly did not try it with food and I think it would hold well as it had good acidity, but thoroughly enjoyed it as a sipper this evening. If you are looking for comparisons I would personally rank this as not quite as good as the WC pinkie swear but definitely a step up from the El Dorado rose of grenache and the Menlo rose of something or other.

I'm a big rose fan. Thanks for the notes. I'm curious how you would compare this to the Stillman rose we both had a week ago.

"The older I get the better I was"

losthighwayz

quality posts: 59 Private Messages losthighwayz

anyone have notes on the zinfandel? CT not very good but I'd like to hear from wooters that have had this

"The older I get the better I was"

cortot20

losthighwayz wrote:I'm a big rose fan. Thanks for the notes. I'm curious how you would compare this to the Stillman rose we both had a week ago.

I didn't take notes on the Stillman rose, but I will say I thought the Stillman was more my style. But I thought the vinum was still very tasty.

CT

enriquei

quality posts: 10 Private Messages enriquei

Anyone in the SLO area interested in splitting the case of half zin half rose? I'd be interested in 3 bottles of each, but I can't justify buying a case of wine on my college student budget atm.

cortot20

enriquei wrote:Anyone in the SLO area interested in splitting the case of half zin half rose? I'd be interested in 3 bottles of each, but I can't justify buying a case of wine on my college student budget atm.

Pm answered.

CT

fsuman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fsuman
losthighwayz wrote:anyone have notes on the zinfandel? CT not very good but I'd like to hear from wooters that have had this

I tried this the first time it was offered some time last year. My full report is located back in that offer. The short version is that it drinks at the price offered. Not terribly complex or exciting, a daily drinker to be sure.

rbruno4444

quality posts: 7 Private Messages rbruno4444

Thanks for the review of our Rose. Yes, the color we were going for this year was more of a Bandol or Southern French hue as last vintage we were critiqued for the color being too dark; sometimes you can't win. Anyway, we are very happy with this wine and agree it has expressive fruit while being dry with snappy acidity. In terms of food, our Rose goes with everything from grilled steak salads to peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. ;)

Richard Bruno
Winemaker

cortot20 wrote:Notes on the rose,

1/9/2014

rbruno4444

losthighwayz wrote:anyone have notes on the zinfandel? CT not very good but I'd like to hear from wooters that have had this

Here are my notes: Deep garnet color, with aromas of sweet black cherry and sour cherry notes. The palate is juicy with strawberry rhubarb and leathery tannins with earth notes which finishes with silky French oak tannins. The wine has nice acidity and low alcohol for a Zin (13.5%) making it uniquely balanced and therefore food friendly. The grapes are from the warm coastal climate of Paso Robles from a cooler vintage (2011). The grapes were picked before the rains so we made a solid wine in a difficult vintage.
This wine pairs well with Thanksgiving Turkey (don't forget the cranberries), also grilled Pork Chops with a roasted apple chutney and served with red cabbage and goat cheese.

Richard Bruno
Winemaker

rbruno4444

Wooters,

I just wanted to make sure you didn't over look the 2011 Chardonnay. This is a really good wine at very high QPR. The grapes for these wines come from Mendocino and therefore have fantastic acidity, it's not an oak bomb. My tasting notes:

This medium straw colored Chardonnay was barrel fermented in French oak which underscore the tropical fruit aromas such as crushed pineapple, mango and passionfruit and highlights of rich custard from partial malo-lactic fermentation. The palate expresses exotic citrus with key lime, Meyer lemon and lemon custard. The finish, while showcasing ample acidity is a much more complex with a rich vanilla and creme brûlée finish.

This wine pairs well with grilled wild salmon with a citrus mango salsa served with a jasmine rice cake. It's also great with a beet and green bean salad with goat cheese and champagne vinaigrette.

Get some before its gone, almost sold out.

Richard Bruno
Winemaker

intodogs

quality posts: 3 Private Messages intodogs

Very inconsistent and inaccurate shipping info. Ordered on the 5th...it is now the 20th...seems like over the last year or so this has become the norm. Disappointing!!!

trifecta

quality posts: 72 Private Messages trifecta
intodogs wrote:Very inconsistent and inaccurate shipping info. Ordered on the 5th...it is now the 20th...seems like over the last year or so this has become the norm. Disappointing!!!

With woot plus deals, consider the day the deal ends (fri). Then 2-3 weeks from that date is the standard and iirc that is what the shipping info quotes. I would guess that you get a shipping email sometime early to mid next week.

intodogs

quality posts: 3 Private Messages intodogs
trifecta wrote:With woot plus deals, consider the day the deal ends (fri). Then 2-3 weeks from that date is the standard and iirc that is what the shipping info quotes. I would guess that you get a shipping email sometime early to mid next week.

Appreciate the reply. However first delivery date was Tues and now again today. But no FedEx location updates. Wouldn't be an issue except for the fact that I have to be home to accept it so that keeps me pretty much homebound. I have bought a lot of wine on woot and back in the day when it was a UPS delivery, it was better...

rjquillin

quality posts: 174 Private Messages rjquillin
intodogs wrote:Appreciate the reply. However first delivery date was Tues and now again today. But no FedEx location updates. Wouldn't be an issue except for the fact that I have to be home to accept it so that keeps me pretty much homebound. I have bought a lot of wine on woot and back in the day when it was a UPS delivery, it was better...

Frequently you'll get woot shipping notices well before FedEx sees the box. I've seen as much as a week, so just keep an eye for when it's actually in their possession, then you can start your planning and or redirecting if required.
I just have my default for WW as the local FedEx Office/Kinkos so I never have to worry about it.

Oh, and there are the other times you receive the shipment and get an email shipping notice after you've already pulled the cork!

It's not prefect, but with FedEx you can redirect before the first delivery attempt, and keep the box out of the truck during hot/freezing Wx. Superior IMO. And FedEx doesn't charge additional for redirect or P/U at their facility as does, or did, UPS.

CT