WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

St. Julian Michigan Riesling Variety (6)

Speed to First Woot:
5m 57.662s
First Sucker:
dvdeak
Last Wooter to Woot:
WootMeAgain
Last Purchase:
6 months ago
Order Pace (rank):
Bottom 45% of Wine Woots
Top 29% of all Woots
Woots Sold (rank):
Top 33% of Wine Woots
Top 20% of all Woots

Purchaser Experience

• 2% first woot
  • 3% second woot
  • 21% < 10 woots
  • 21% < 25 woots
  • 53% ≥ 25 woots

Purchaser Seniority

• 1% joined today
  • 0% one week old
  • 1% one month old
  • 14% one year old
  • 84% > one year old

Quantity Breakdown

• 89% bought 1
  • 9% bought 2
  • 3% bought 3

Percentage of Sales Per Hour

5%
3%
2%
1%
0%
1%
5%
5%
7%
5%
11%
5%
3%
5%
4%
5%
5%
4%
3%
5%
5%
5%
3%
3%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

Cesare

quality posts: 1595 Private Messages Cesare

St. Julian Michigan Riesling Variety 6-Pack
$59.99 $101.00 41% off List Price
2012 Reserve Riesling, Lake Michigan Shore
2011 Reserve Late Harvest Riesling, Lake Michigan Shore
2012 Braganini Reserve Whole Cluster Riesling, Lake Michigan Shore
CT links above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

cortot20

quality posts: 136 Private Messages cortot20

These look tasty, and look at the acid levels!
If SWMBO liked sweeter wines this would be a no brainer.

The description in the late harvest says it was harvested around 22 Brix. I usually pay attention to this number in red wines and 22 doesn't seem late at all. It would actually seem early.

CT

mrsjhaye

quality posts: 16 Private Messages mrsjhaye

These St. Julian's wines along with their pinot grigio used to be my go to summer wines until West Virginia was removed from the ship to list. Wistfully waiting for my state to be added back...

chipgreen

quality posts: 185 Private Messages chipgreen

Just in time for the Michigan Grape & Wine Conference this week.

CherryBomb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages CherryBomb

Darn, I was just about to order this when I noticed that Virginia is no longer on the list! Ack!

InFrom

quality posts: 31 Private Messages InFrom

The CT links are devoid of tasting notes, alas! Their 2011 Late Harvest was sold here in a 6-pack last year, but apart from one brief, favorable comment, nothing really useful in the way of a review. Their 2010 Braganini Reserve was part of a mixed 6 in 2011. There were many comments, also with winery participation, but I haven't looked at it closely. I don't know if their wines are consistent from year to year, but I suspect they might be.

I may take flier on this, just because I do love the Rieslings and haven't tried this winery yet.

PhilSandifer

quality posts: 17 Private Messages PhilSandifer

St. Julian is pretty good with their whites, and their Rieslings in particular. At $10 a bottle, this is a solid offer that I'd be tempted by on a week that wasn't this one.

edlada

quality posts: 4 Private Messages edlada
cortot20 wrote:These look tasty, and look at the acid levels!
If SWMBO liked sweeter wines this would be a no brainer.

The description in the late harvest says it was harvested around 22 Brix. I usually pay attention to this number in red wines and 22 doesn't seem late at all. It would actually seem early.

In that part of the US sometimes you are lucky to get as high as 22 brix. I worked at a winery in NW PA and anything over 23-24 brix was very unusual. I remember seeing grapes come in at 20 brix! We sometimes had to add sugar because mother nature just wasn't getting the job done. And if you don't harvest by mid October, you are taking a big chance on freezing temps.

My dogs like me, that is important.

InFrom

InFrom wrote:The CT links are devoid of tasting notes, alas! Their 2011 Late Harvest was sold here in a 6-pack last year, but apart from one brief, favorable comment, nothing really useful in the way of a review. Their 2010 Braganini Reserve was part of a mixed 6 in 2011. There were many comments, also with winery participation, but I haven't looked at it closely. I don't know if their wines are consistent from year to year, but I suspect they might be.

I may take flier on this, just because I do love the Rieslings and haven't tried this winery yet.

Well, I read through the comments from that second link, and as a result:

Last Wooter to Woot:
InFrom
Last Purchase:
just now

jnv23

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jnv23

I was at this winery at Christmastime. I loved the 2012 Reserve Riesling. I'm generally a fan of Riesling, and this is one of the better ones I've tasted. I didn't try the whole cluster Riesling and I don't remember if I tried the late harvest Riesling. (Sorry I don't have more sophisticated tasting notes. I didn't write anything down when I was there and I haven't opened the bottle of the Reserve Riesling I bought when I was there.) Basically, if you like Riesling, this is a great deal. If you only like very dry wines, then you won't like their Reserve Riesling (but in that case, why would you be looking at this deal in the first place when 1/3 of the pack is dessert wine?!).

rjquillin

quality posts: 171 Private Messages rjquillin

Recently had two chances to taste these, the 12 whole cluster and the 11 late harvest. First after the D&D tasting at the after party, and again last night at Scott Harvey's prior to dinner, but I'm still recovering from a head cold as well...
Palate was pretty much totally blown out after hours of tasting petite sirah, and that these were too warm, I can't really add any objective TN's from the first night.
Last night at SH's, when properly chilled, these were both recognizable as cool climate Michigan bottles. I've purchased a number of Braganini in the past and quite enjoyed them. They are somewhat atypical of what one may be accustomed to from a warmer climate of the same varietal, but I can and do like that.
The whole cluster did seem to have a bit of stemminess I didn't care all that much for, but the late harvest was tasting well, somewhere between off-dry and sweet but with a nice crispness to balance it out with some hard cheese nibbles we had.
At ~$10/btl a good sampler pack from an area we unfortunately don't see all that much from.

CT

bardolator

quality posts: 3 Private Messages bardolator

Anyone in the Tampa, FL area interested in splitting an order? My credit card was compromised and I'm awaiting a replacement....

jamesozzello

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jamesozzello

Got a mix a couple 2 or 3 yrs ago as one of my first woots. All I can say is DW truly enjoyed and I remember liking the Pinot Grigio , though At that time I wasn't much of a white drinker. In for 1 and hoping they'll be back with a different mix. J

rjquillin wrote:Recently had two chances to taste these, the 12 whole cluster and the 11 late harvest. First after the D&D tasting at the after party, and again last night at Scott Harvey's prior to dinner, but I'm still recovering from a head cold as well...
Palate was pretty much totally blown out after hours of tasting petite sirah, and that these were too warm, I can't really add any objective TN's from the first night.
Last night at SH's, when properly chilled, these were both recognizable as cool climate Michigan bottles. I've purchased a number of Braganini in the past and quite enjoyed them. They are somewhat atypical of what one may be accustomed to from a warmer climate of the same varietal, but I can and do like that.
The whole cluster did seem to have a bit of stemminess I didn't care all that much for, but the late harvest was tasting well, somewhere between off-dry and sweet but with a nice crispness to balance it out with some hard cheese nibbles we had.
At ~$10/btl a good sampler pack from an area we unfortunately don't see all that much from.

harmonious3

quality posts: 2 Private Messages harmonious3

Yikes! St. Julian shipped these from MI to OH in single digit temps with no insulation. Somehow they were not slushies when they arrived. They also showed up today as a complete surprise due to no shipment confirmation email or tracking info in my order history.

InFrom

harmonious3 wrote:SPOILER ALERT!Yikes! St. Julian shipped these from MI to OH in single digit temps with no insulation. Somehow they were not slushies when they arrived. They also showed up today as a complete surprise due to no shipment confirmation email or tracking info in my order history.

I fixed that for ya. Maybe I wanted to be surprised by an unexpected shipment of wine, did you ever think of that?

Seriously, thanks for posting. Good to know it's on its way. At least temps here in the East have moderated a bit.