quality posts: 1676 Private Messages Cesare

Casa Vinironia Appassimento Edizone Oro Italian Red 4-Pack
$64.99 $115.00 43% off List Price
2012 Vinironia Appassimento Edizone Oro Vino Rosso
CT link above

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

sdfreedive

quality posts: 27 Private Messages sdfreedive

What is the cellaring note of 4 years? We should hold it for 4 years? It's got a 4 year peak? Also if this is a Ripasso style what is the corresponding Amarone style wine?

chipgreen

quality posts: 202 Private Messages chipgreen

2012 Vinironia Appassimento Edizone Oro Vino Rosso

Had an opportunity to sample this wine and it is pretty much what you would expect, given the style and method of production.

Dark purple in the glass with aromas of cherry, blackberry and prune. Similar palate with the addition of plum, raisin and cassis. This is like a baby Amarone in style but made from traditional Bordeaux grapes instead of a Corvina blend. If you've never had this style of wine, it's somewhat similar to Port (sans Brandy) in the flavor profile.

I expected this to run $20-$25 per bottle so this seems like a really good deal if you like wines of this style. I enjoyed it and am debating whether to buy....

EDIT: Apologize for the brevity of this review but I was dealing with a killer headache last night. The descriptions provided under the Features and Specs tabs for this wine are spot-on. I highly recommend checking out the information provided on the offer page to get a better sense of how the wine was made and what to expect from it.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 605 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Corrected Vintage - 2012

Please note that this is for the 2012, not the 2011 as originally stated.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

chipgreen

sdfreedive wrote:What is the cellaring note of 4 years? We should hold it for 4 years? It's got a 4 year peak?

I would say drink now ---> 4 years from now.

EDIT: Kick-startin' the party!
First sucker:chipgreen

jmdavidson

quality posts: 58 Private Messages jmdavidson

A monkey in a gondola dropped a bottle of this off last week during the early flooding of 2014. Telling him grazie, I quickly opened the box with the hope that it was in fact an Italian wine.

No disappointment here. The first thing that stands out is the beautiful label and bottle. This is the same appearance found with bottles of amarone, another very nice Italian wine. SWMBO and I really enjoy Italian wines and this is one we had not already tried. It seemed only natural to make a batch of meatballs and a big pot of spaghetti sauce.

Bottle opened and left for about 15 minutes while the finishing touches were made to dinner. The initial color out of the bottle is a beautiful dark purple, which is quite inky. There is a soft smell of cherry and either vanilla or fig. We both finally took a sip and our reactions were simultaneous and the same: delicious. You immediately realize that this a really tasty wine. On the palate, black cherry, plum and figs dominate. It is soft and round. In looking at today’s write up I see that this cellared for four years. That would explain the soft tannins. The spaghetti and meatballs, particularly the basil and the acidity of the tomatoes, paired very well with this wine. I also had opened a bottle of Italian barbera, one of my favorite table wines. Each added a different complement to the dinner.

This is a wine that you could drink without food, it is that enjoyable. With food, a great complement. At the price offered, $16, this is a no brainer. I would not be going out on a limb to say that if you brought a bottle of this to a dinner party, it would the first one finished, so you'd better bring along a couple. Now to decide if we get +2 or +3.

EDIT: forgot to add that dark chocolate also went well with this wine.

Last Wooter to Woot:jmdavidson
Last Purchase:a few seconds ago
+3

rjquillin

quality posts: 183 Private Messages rjquillin
jmdavidson wrote:In looking at today’s write up I see that this cellared for four years. That would explain the soft tannins.

Yesterday and last night was D&D, we drank a lot of PS, and I'm still fuzzy this AM, but...
A 2012 'cellared for four years' just isn't quite working for me yet this morning.

CT

chipgreen

Grapes drying - "Appassimento"

chipgreen

hierophanta

quality posts: 2 Private Messages hierophanta
chipgreen wrote:

holy moly ive never seen grapes tended so carefully

chipgreen

hierophanta wrote:holy moly ive never seen grapes tended so carefully

It's a beautiful sight, isn't it?

The pics are from a blog by an ex-pat in Friuli, Italy who runs (or works at) Bastianich winery. No relation to today's woot offer, other than the Appassimento theme.

He posted a nice one-page article about Appassimento HERE.

jmdavidson

quality posts: 58 Private Messages jmdavidson
rjquillin wrote:Yesterday and last night was D&D, we drank a lot of PS, and I'm still fuzzy this AM, but...
A 2012 'cellared for four years' just isn't quite working for me yet this morning.

I'm with you, the math does not work. I do know that this technique, appassimento, requires the grapes to be left in a drying room for up to four months. The process yields full bodied, complex wines that show smoothness and roundness even when realtively young. I would venture to say that they were harvested in October 2012, left to dry until January or February 2013, crushed, pressed, fermented and then put into oak for aging.

losthighwayz

quality posts: 61 Private Messages losthighwayz

Anyone in SoCal want to split?

"The older I get the better I was"

gjmonevine

quality posts: 6 Private Messages gjmonevine

Hi All, I believe there is a typo on the "cellaring" of this wine. To my knowledge, the wine is tank fermented with only 4 months of oak aging. It is fruity and has some RS, which makes it a great bbq or cocktail hour wine. I also love the old school, classy label. If you're on the fence about this wine, woot secured the last pallet to offer this wine at this low price.

neilfindswine

quality posts: 173 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

gjmonevine wrote:Hi All, I believe there is a typo on the "cellaring" of this wine. To my knowledge, the wine is tank fermented with only 4 months of oak aging. It is fruity and has some RS, which makes it a great bbq or cocktail hour wine. I also love the old school, classy label. If you're on the fence about this wine, woot secured the last pallet to offer this wine at this low price.

Thanks for the info Greg! (Greg is our go-to Italian wine guy....)

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

bskuared

quality posts: 11 Private Messages bskuared

Oh yes... perfect addition to my collection! That's what I'm talkin' about Grazie Woot!

Last Wooter to Woot: bskuared

food. italy. food. italy. wine. books. travel. food. genealogy. food. wine. italy. food. get. the. idea?

San Clemente · http://www.italyandme.com