Moonstone Raspberry Saké 750ml
Moonstone Plum Saké 750ml 2-Pack
Moonstone Coconut Lemongrass Saké 750ml 2-Pack
CT links above

Website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

poopfeast420

quality posts: 1 Private Messages poopfeast420

Flavored sake? My goodness, my goodness, they make some crazy concoctions these days. Back in my day, us peasant farmers could either drink cheap local unfiltered sake, or cheap local unfiltered sake.

chipgreen

quality posts: 176 Private Messages chipgreen

I would love to try the Asian Pear Saké. Not sure about the rest.

CaptStack

quality posts: 1 Private Messages CaptStack
chipgreen wrote:I would love to try the Asian Pear Saké. Not sure about the rest.

The Asian Pear variety is delicious. It's locally produced near where I live, so I can get it for pretty cheap, and it's my favorite sake so far (admittedly, I haven't tried that many beyond gekkeikan from Winco).

srm8ib4

quality posts: 5 Private Messages srm8ib4

If you look at the company website, the bottles go for 13 each with 11 for the plum, which equates to 74 dollars for the 6. The prices are slightly cheaper if you look on other websites. You really only save on the shipping.

david360

quality posts: 1 Private Messages david360

I have been serving the Moonstone Plum Sake for 4 years in my restaurant in WA. Got it as an alternative to Plum wine which is sweeter and heavier. This is a great sake that goes down easy and has a wonderful bouquet. Even my wife likes this but turns her nose up at most other Alcoholic drinks. Only 7% Alcohol. I would like to try the other 3, might be in for this deal.

TheEndless

quality posts: 14 Private Messages TheEndless

These intrigue me. I've really only tried sake with sushi. Usually as sake bombs (I know!), and a handful of times warm, but these all indicate that they're best enjoyed chilled, significantly. What kind of sweetness can we expect with these?

TheEndless

smallgreendemon

quality posts: 6 Private Messages smallgreendemon
chipgreen wrote:I would love to try the Asian Pear Saké. Not sure about the rest.

They're made near where I live, I have tried all of the flavors, and they are all really quite delicious in my opinion. Most flavored sakés that I have tried taste like wine coolers (blegh); these, however, are crisp, not too sweet, and not too strongly flavored to taste the saké itself.

The coconut lemongrass is my favorite (and the one that my friends and I have gotten into the habit of serving at birthday parties). I actually drank a bottle of the plum last night and was reminded that I like it quite well, too. I recommend serving it chilled, or over ice for someone who prefers a milder drink that's closer to a cocktail.

This is a pretty decent price as they go for about $13 - $15 for a bottle locally and more in other parts of the country, when you can get them. (Heck, I've seen it listed for $54 a bottle at a restaurant in Minnesota, but that did kinda seem like price gouging.)

tiger7610

quality posts: 17 Private Messages tiger7610

I hope the coconut lemongrass is better than the sake we once got from woot that tasted like sunscreen.

In other news I realized I still have sake one from previous offer. I assume I should probably pour it out now?

bkarlan

quality posts: 46 Private Messages bkarlan

I am ordering some to your place. If you want to split, that's cool, or if you want to take a bottle tats fine too 😀

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill

dalylink

quality posts: 5 Private Messages dalylink

We are big fans of Sake One. We visited the winery (sakerie) multiple times while our daughter was in an Oregon college. I prefer their unflavored sake but I know our daughter likes the flavored. Of course she went to Japan and like plum wine too so... I think in for one and have a party!

SneezyKevinA

quality posts: 3 Private Messages SneezyKevinA

I'll pass on the coconut lemongrass but the others sound great. In for 1.

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
tiger7610 wrote:

In other news I realized I still have sake one from previous offer. I assume I should probably pour it out now?

If you are referring to the SakeOne offering from October of 2011 (I think that's the year), look at the one of the recent sake offering threads. I asked the rep the same question and he said it could still have some life left, though noted it would be more "unique" than fresh...

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

Sardinicus

quality posts: 9 Private Messages Sardinicus

The brand name of this should be the Bartles-san & Jaymes-san.

shelleympk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shelleympk

Ugh. I love this stuff, but living in Tennessee, the laws are arcane -- we only passed a "direct ship" law in '09 and apparently Woot isn't on the list.

sneefy

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sneefy

So, is this the Arbor Mist of sake?

wootvan

quality posts: 62 Private Messages wootvan
tiger7610 wrote:I hope the coconut lemongrass is better than the sake we once got from woot that tasted like sunscreen.

You bought this...

tiger7610

quality posts: 17 Private Messages tiger7610
wootvan wrote:You bought this...

This bottle made its appearance during the second clambake, really dont remember its name. Also that is hilarious

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

Calling all bowties...

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

bkarlan

tiger7610 wrote:

Sake is typically still good from the 1 yr bottle date. The date is somewhere on the bottle. If it has been opened, then it usually only stay good for 5-7 days.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill

joelsisk

quality posts: 7 Private Messages joelsisk
bkarlan wrote:Sake is typically still good from the 1 yr bottle date. The date is somewhere on the bottle. If it has been opened, then it usually only stay good for 5-7 days.

I suppose like many things, it's a question of specific bottle, personal taste, etc. We had a bottle of sakeOne G about 3+ years after purchase. It was really good slightly chilled.

I would think flavored ones would last longer than "natural"? but perhaps not.

SakeOneSakeSteve

quality posts: 4 Private Messages SakeOneSakeSteve
TheEndless wrote:These intrigue me. I've really only tried sake with sushi. Usually as sake bombs (I know!), and a handful of times warm, but these all indicate that they're best enjoyed chilled, significantly. What kind of sweetness can we expect with these?

The Asian Pear and Raspberry are actually more on the drier side, though they have nice fruit character. The Plum and Coconut Lemongrass are on the sweeter side. Kanpai!

SakeOneSakeSteve

joelsisk wrote:I suppose like many things, it's a question of specific bottle, personal taste, etc. We had a bottle of sakeOne G about 3+ years after purchase. It was really good slightly chilled.

I would think flavored ones would last longer than "natural"? but perhaps not.

The shelf life for "classic" sake and "flavored" sake are actually about the same. they are best consumed within a few months after purchase though if kept in a cool place they are fine for 12 to 18 months. And another cool thing is they last much, much longer in the fridge than wine after being opened.

SakeOneSakeSteve

sneefy wrote:So, is this the Arbor Mist of sake?

I've never tried Arbor Mist (fruit flavored wine) so I can't speak to that comparison. But I can tell you the base sake we use is the same "Junmai Ginjo" grade sake as our Momokawa and g Sake brands - in other words - the good stuff!

chipgreen

bkarlan wrote:I am ordering some to your place. If you want to split, that's cool, or if you want to take a bottle tats fine too 😀

Sure, I'll split. Can I have the pear flavored one?

SakeOneSakeSteve

david360 wrote:I have been serving the Moonstone Plum Sake for 4 years in my restaurant in WA. Got it as an alternative to Plum wine which is sweeter and heavier. This is a great sake that goes down easy and has a wonderful bouquet. Even my wife likes this but turns her nose up at most other Alcoholic drinks. Only 7% Alcohol. I would like to try the other 3, might be in for this deal.

Arigato! Our Moonstone Plum is popular for all the reasons you mentioned!

chipgreen

North316 wrote:If you are referring to the SakeOne offering from October of 2011 (I think that's the year), look at the one of the recent sake offering threads. I asked the rep the same question and he said it could still have some life left, though noted it would be more "unique" than fresh...

I had a bottle of the Nigori Junmai Ginjo (from you) that I drank a month ago and it was a little hot, alcohol-wise, but still tasted good. I enjoyed it.

bkarlan

chipgreen wrote:Sure, I'll split. Can I have the pear flavored one?

Sure thing