Open Range Red Wine, by Casey Flat Ranch 6-Pack
$74.99 $127.00 41% off List Price
2010 Open Range Red Wine
CT link above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

rjquillin

quality posts: 168 Private Messages rjquillin

Pretty interesting blend.
Given the 14.8% AbV, hoping Laura can join in with some pH and TA numbers as well. Even RS.
Pretty long time on 30% new French oak too for a reasonably priced blend, hoping for some additional notes.

CT

sdfreedive

quality posts: 22 Private Messages sdfreedive

“Without a strict guide on varietal composition, I am striving to achieve a particular style for this red wine—a big, concentrated, fruit driven wine at a value.”

Fruit forward...hmm I like that style. I'm hoping for a few notes to push me over the edge. 6 bottles is a lot of unknown wine that appears to be a drink now proposition.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 174 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

Courtesy of CJ:

cjsiege wrote:List of previous WW gatherings by area.
New list in the Gatherings tab and Old list in the Community tab. Great reading and great examples of how to set up a Get-Together Thread.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Upcoming Woot Wine Gatherings…All The News for the week of February 2.
Now that Football season is finally over...
Attend or Host a Get-Together in your area!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

February
2/1???: SoCal #31: Burgers and Zin
2/18-21: Hilton Head/Savannah?
2/21-23: 2014 Dark & Delicious Weekend (Alameda, CA on Fri, Napa/Sonoma on Sat & Sun)
TBD: Houston Area Kick-start

March
3/15: Ohio: Winemakers' Dinner with Scott and Jana Harvey
3/22: NorCal: Winemaker trip out to Winesmith

Summer
TBD: 2014 RPM History Tour Interest Thread

Pending
TBD: Trip to Taldeschi, Hawley & Handal
TBD: Atlanta #1
TBD: NYC Tasting #??: A Tribute (interest thread)
TBD: NorCal #?: Open invitation to the New Muscardini Tasting Room

No events in your area??? Start one! Create an interest thread in the GATHERINGS Community Tab.

So join or create a WW Gathering!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

tjhoulihan

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tjhoulihan

I've purchased a case or two of this wine for the past two vintages (from a different retailer). I don't know that that I've had a better sub-$20 priced wine. A great daily drinker. Unfortunately, GA is still on Woots! DNS list. I highly suggest that you pull the trigger on this one.

RonKatzEsq

quality posts: 0 Private Messages RonKatzEsq

Maryland is not usually excluded from the fun, I wonder why we got shot down on this one? It's cold here we need our wine stat!

laurafromcaseyflatranch

quality posts: 1 Private Messages laurafromcaseyflatranch
rjquillin wrote:Pretty interesting blend.
Given the 14.8% AbV, hoping Laura can join in with some pH and TA numbers as well. Even RS.
Pretty long time on 30% new French oak too for a reasonably priced blend, hoping for some additional notes.

The pH is 3.7 and TA is 0.63, no RS. Many of the lots that go into this blend are big wines... Bold Petite Sirah from Lake County, mountain Cabernet from the Capay Valley....they need that extra time in barrel.

laurafromcaseyflatranch

sdfreedive wrote:“Without a strict guide on varietal composition, I am striving to achieve a particular style for this red wine—a big, concentrated, fruit driven wine at a value.”

Fruit forward...hmm I like that style. I'm hoping for a few notes to push me over the edge. 6 bottles is a lot of unknown wine that appears to be a drink now proposition.

Dried rose, roasted plum and olive tapenade. There are hints of clove and pepper. This is a deeply colored, full bodied wine. Don't think twice.

laurafromcaseyflatranch

laurafromcaseyflatranch wrote:Dried rose, roasted plum and olive tapenade. There are hints of clove and pepper. This is a deeply colored, full bodied wine. Don't think twice.

Also, this wine just won Double Gold from the San Francisco Wine Competition!

laurafromcaseyflatranch

laurafromcaseyflatranch wrote:Also, this wine just won Double Gold from the San Francisco Wine Competition!

2014 San Francisco Chronicle Wine Competition, I should say.

palmer3317

quality posts: 0 Private Messages palmer3317

I've enjoyed the CFR Estate red.. looking forward to giving this a try. In for one.

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 33 Private Messages fredrinaldi
laurafromcaseyflatranch wrote:Dried rose, roasted plum and olive tapenade. There are hints of clove and pepper. This is a deeply colored, full bodied wine. Don't think twice.

sounds like my kind of wine
Last Wooter to Woot:
fredrinaldi

chipgreen

quality posts: 178 Private Messages chipgreen
fredrinaldi wrote:sounds like my kind of wine
Last Wooter to Woot:
fredrinaldi

23% Cab for you, 11% Merlot for the wife. The rest is just filler.

EDIT: How is your achilles doing? I hope it's all "heeled" up by now!

I'm here all week, try the cheese.

neilfindswine

quality posts: 167 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

fredrinaldi wrote:sounds like my kind of wine
Last Wooter to Woot:
fredrinaldi

I was literally logging in right now to suggest that this wine was 'Fred-ish' and you beat me to it. Enjoy my friend...

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

fredrinaldi

chipgreen wrote:23% Cab for you, 11% Merlot for the wife. The rest is just filler.

EDIT: How is your achilles doing? I hope it's all "heeled" up by now!

I'm here all week, try the cheese.

thanks for asking the Achillies is better than ever, been golfing and getting ready to hit the gym again. god knows I need it 6 month layoff and a few lbs added do to inactivity.

"laurafromcaseyflatranch"
got me with "This is a deeply colored, full bodied wine. Don't think twice".
so I didn't

fredrinaldi

neilfindswine wrote:I was literally logging in right now to suggest that this wine was 'Fred-ish' and you beat me to it. Enjoy my friend...

funny, thanks for thinking about me.

chipgreen

quality posts: 178 Private Messages chipgreen
fredrinaldi wrote:thanks for asking the Achillies is better than ever, been golfing and getting ready to hit the gym again. god know I need it 6 month layoff and a few lbs added dou to inactivity.

"laurafromcaseyflatranch"
got me with "This is a deeply colored, full bodied wine. Don't think twice".
so I didn't

It does sound like some tasty juice.

fredrinaldi

for the candy lovers home woot has the salted caramels, all milk or all dark, peanutbutter cups ........ I must resist for 6 more days

rjquillin

chipgreen wrote:It does sound like some tasty juice.

I noticed mill was first sucker too; for some reason that rather surprised me a bit.

CT

cortot20

quality posts: 130 Private Messages cortot20
rjquillin wrote:I noticed mill was first sucker too; for some reason that rather surprised me a bit.

What are the chances we missed this on Saturday? It definitely sounds interesting, maybe I'll pick up a bottle somewhere somehow.

CT

rjquillin

cortot20 wrote:What are the chances we missed this on Saturday? It definitely sounds interesting, maybe I'll pick up a bottle somewhere somehow.

wanna split a woot?

CT

cortot20

quality posts: 130 Private Messages cortot20
rjquillin wrote:wanna split a woot?

Not this time RJ. I need to buy less wine for the immediate future. If someone picks one up I might take one off their hands later. But I definitely don't need 3.

CT

losthighwayz

quality posts: 58 Private Messages losthighwayz
cortot20 wrote:What are the chances we missed this on Saturday? It definitely sounds interesting, maybe I'll pick up a bottle somewhere somehow.

Ill find out tomorrow when i head to kinkos. Fed ex tried to deliver at 10:30am both times, i miss the old driver. She knew my schedule

"The older I get the better I was"

klezman

quality posts: 119 Private Messages klezman
losthighwayz wrote:Ill find out tomorrow when i head to kinkos. Fed ex tried to deliver at 10:30am both times, i miss the old driver. She knew my schedule

Could also be ground vs. home vs. express. They've got different trucks, drivers, and routes.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

NedDawg

quality posts: 34 Private Messages NedDawg

I doubt that anybody's reading this thread now, but I'm sorry I missed this offering. Is there a tasting room in Capay Valley?

neilfindswine

quality posts: 167 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

NedDawg wrote:I doubt that anybody's reading this thread now, but I'm sorry I missed this offering. Is there a tasting room in Capay Valley?

I'm told: there is one in Winters…We are part of a coop called Root Stock in Downtown Winters. Its very charming!

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...