Marqués De La Villa "Tinta De Toro" Spanish Red 6-Pack
$69.99 $115.00 39% off List Price
2012 Marqués de la Villa Tinta De Toro
CT link above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

chipgreen

quality posts: 187 Private Messages chipgreen

2012 Marqués de la Villa Tinta De Toro

My local FedEx driver was starting to do a pretty good job of slowing down around the curve in front of my house, preventing me from scavenging bottles of wine as they would fly out of the back of his truck and skitter across the street. I had to install a remote-controlled ramp in the road so that I could kick up the back corner of his truck when he drove by, to jar loose some of that sweet juice. It worked as planned and I was able to score a bottle of 2012 Marqués de la Villa Tinta de Toro, which is a fancy way of saying "Tempranillo".

PnP, slightly chilled. Pretty magenta color in the glass with thin, medium spaced legs. Nose of strawberry shortcake!? I thought maybe this was a blend with some Grenache when I detected strawberry on the nose but the bottle says 100% Tinta de Toro. Don't think I have ever picked up strawberry on the nose of a Tempranillo before, at least not as the primary scent. Curious as to whether the palate will follow suit, I take a drink and find that it does, somewhat. More of a strawberry jam flavor on the palate with some cherry, creme de cassis, sweet oak and blackberry. There is a fairly mild but alluring spice blend of nutmeg and clove on the mid-palate with a rounded mouthfeel and mild tannins on the medium finish. As the wine warmed to room temperature, it exhibited a darker fruit nose and flavor profile but only slightly so.

I looked up this wine on the producer's website and found that it is a "Joven" which indicates that the wine is meant to be drunk young (within a couple years of release), due to limited aging and oak treatment. I found this wine to be very tasty even though it is unlike any other Tempranillo I've had (which is only around 10-12 but enough to have a general idea of the varietal character).

Even though I don't need more wine, have no space, have spent far too much on wine recently, etc. etc., I will have to consider going in on this if the price is right.

EDIT: The price is right!
Speed to first woot: 3m 52.006s
First sucker:chipgreen

Willing to split....

DarkStar11

quality posts: 1 Private Messages DarkStar11

Chip - your review made me click the big yellow button. Thanks!

chipgreen

DarkStar11 wrote:Chip - your review made me click the big yellow button. Thanks!

My pleasure! It made me click too, haha.

shahnm

quality posts: 27 Private Messages shahnm

It's cheaper elsewhere if you're looking for 12 bottles.

About $120 shipped to Florida (your shipping may be different) for a case:

http://www.rodmans.com/wines/2012-Marques-de-la-Villa-Malvasia-w17793372k

chipgreen

shahnm wrote:It's cheaper elsewhere if you're looking for 12 bottles.

About $120 shipped to Florida (your shipping may be different) for a case:

http://www.rodmans.com/wines/2012-Marques-de-la-Villa-Malvasia-w17793372k

Appears to be a wine-searcher glitch that lists Malvasia instead of Tinta de Toro. I manually changed the search parameters and was not able to find the 2012 but there was one listing for the 2011 Tinta de Toro for around $11.99/bottle before taxes/shipping.

klezman

quality posts: 122 Private Messages klezman

A few of us had the chance to try this at losthiwayz' place a couple weeks ago. My notes:

PnP the nose was pretty closed down and somewhat hot. Needs some air to wake up. Colour was smack dab in the middle of "red". Palate was not distinctive, but well balanced and with dark red fruit. Initial thought was that it was too young.

We gave this wine 2-3 Vinturi passes, and that helped bring the fruit out. We thought it was a wine to hold for a couple years and return to. At this price, it's fine to drink now with a fair bit of air or hold for 1-2 years.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

UBlink

quality posts: 18 Private Messages UBlink

This showed up at last month's DFW WW dinner and I have these notes - color is clear medium purple. Nose is candied cherry. Plum on the palate with earthy, leathery notes. Young tannins but not overbearing. Medium finish with nice tannins. Other than the differences in color (could be the lighting) they appear consistent with the other reviews. The main thing I remember is that the nose was quite different from the taste. From the nose I was expecting a fruit bomb, but the taste had a nice balance with some complexity. Great QPR at this price.

Following the eight word profile, political economy in eight words:
Ain't no free lunch - them what has gets.

hail2skins

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hail2skins

Tried to order in large part due to Chip's review, but for the first time ever, this wine isn't shipped to MN. There are no laws preventing that as the last Minnesota update on the link is from 2006 when they lifted the ban here. Wonder why this wine can't come to this state? Anyone know?

chipgreen

hail2skins wrote:Tried to order in large part due to Chip's review, but for the first time ever, this wine isn't shipped to MN. There are no laws preventing that as the last Minnesota update on the link is from 2006 when they lifted the ban here. Wonder why this wine can't come to this state? Anyone know?

Wine.woot hasn't shipped to MN and a handful of other states since October. There is no official explanation for why these states were dropped but HERE is a brief summary of the situation. Some of the states that were initially removed from the ship-to list were restored but it's been 2 months since the last one. Hopefully there are still efforts being made to restore additional states.

hail2skins

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hail2skins
chipgreen wrote:Wine.woot hasn't shipped to MN and a handful of other states since October. There is no official explanation for why these states were dropped but HERE is a brief summary of the situation. Some of the states that were initially removed from the ship-to list were restored but it's been 2 months since the last one. Hopefully there are still efforts being made to restore additional states.

Thanks Chip. I know we still allow shipped wine as I still order it from other places . I'll just wait for Woot to start again.

chipgreen

Day 2 Notes

I'm still getting strawberry on the nose but it's not the bright strawberry shortcake from the initial PnP. I am also noticing cherry, cassis and a little spice. Similar palate as last night but the spiciness has become part of the entry instead of being delayed to the mid-palate. This masks the fruit slightly so it's not as fruit forward now. The tannins are also more developed but still light-medium in intensity. Very nice wine for the price, glad I went in on the offer.

UBlink

quality posts: 18 Private Messages UBlink

Just a followup on my earlier comment. I'm in for 2 of these as an alternative to Cal Zin for the upcoming summer grilling and smoking. I loves my Zin, but this way I've got a choice. Thanks for making this available.

Following the eight word profile, political economy in eight words:
Ain't no free lunch - them what has gets.

losthighwayz

quality posts: 59 Private Messages losthighwayz

Had this with klez and merbill a few weeks ago. I found it to be good but not quite ready for drinking. Not much on the nose and fruit was somewhat muted...vinturi helped. This will not knock your socks off but the price a great buy. I had it pegged at around $16 delivered.

"The older I get the better I was"

chipgreen

Day 3
Finishing off the last glass, bottle was vacu-vin'd overnight both nights. It has picked up a black pepper note and in general the spice has really come out more and almost dominates the fruit. This is more like the Tempranillo I'm used to drinking! It's been a little different each day but enjoyable all three days.