2009 Cabernet Sauvignon, Sonoma County
2009 Syrah, England Crest, Sonoma Valley
2009 Zinfandel, Meek's Hilltop Ranch, Sonoma Valley
CT links above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

rjquillin

quality posts: 173 Private Messages rjquillin

~~~ autobuy alert ~~~
If you don't already have these in your cellar.
I didn't, and this beats club pricing.
Peter's offerings are always solid, cellar well and are in a more traditional old world style.

CT

michaelvella

quality posts: 12 Private Messages michaelvella

man, that looks like an awesome bordeaux blend with that cab. who's had it - with notes?

SonomaBouliste

quality posts: 234 Private Messages SonomaBouliste

Good evening (good morning to those of you in states where there actually is a winter this year).
I'll be around for an hour or so to respond to questions and comments, such as the inevitable aging window and Mac compatibility queries.
I will check in throughout the day Friday also, so if you post a question and don't get a response, check back later.

Peter

chipgreen

quality posts: 187 Private Messages chipgreen

Peter, thanks for bestowing us with a pope hat/rocket ship new release extravaganza!

I'm in for at least one set - any of the usual suspects want to combine/split additional sets?

klezman

quality posts: 122 Private Messages klezman

Reaction to seeing 6 bottles of Wellington at 10:15pm: Yay! Grumble! Yay! Crap...no room. Hmmm...wonder if I can justify it anyway. Need some Wellington to drink while waiting on the Victory to age more.

While you're here, Peter, how are the single vineyard Cabs doing from 2005/2006/2007?

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

SonomaBouliste

Well, I just listened to the Vintner Voicemail. Don't waste your time; it's tedious, rambling, slightly incoherent and neither informational nor entertaining.
I just didn't speak well, but I can write a bit at least;)

rc70

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rc70

Definite auto buy even though I'm out of storage space and have a very large amount of "Wellington" already.
I believe I will have a Wellington weekend so i can drink up some space for this. Thank you Peter.

SonomaBouliste

klezman wrote:Reaction to seeing 6 bottles of Wellington at 10:15pm: Yay! Grumble! Yay! Crap...no room. Hmmm...wonder if I can justify it anyway. Need some Wellington to drink while waiting on the Victory to age more.

While you're here, Peter, how are the single vineyard Cabs doing from 2005/2006/2007?

The Karren Vineyard looks to be the slowest developer, improving (an extremely subjective statement) for ten years or more. The Handal Denier not produced every year) tends to open up sooner, and the Mohrhardt Ridge (25 vintage track record) is typically quite approachable at 4-5 years, peaks (for my personal taste) at 8-12 years, and lasts for 20+. The M.R. is not usually intensely tannic; it is the low pH from very cool climate grapes that kep this wine fresh.

edthebedhead

quality posts: 4 Private Messages edthebedhead
SonomaBouliste wrote:Good evening (good morning to those of you in states where there actually is a winter this year).
I'll be around for an hour or so to respond to questions and comments, such as the inevitable aging window and Mac compatibility queries.
I will check in throughout the day Friday also, so if you post a question and don't get a response, check back later.

Peter

How does this Zinfandel compare with the Estate Vineyard, or others of the same/similar vintage? Or perhaps you could mention if they are prepared the same way, or if they differ in barrels, cellaring, etc.

noslensj

quality posts: 42 Private Messages noslensj
SonomaBouliste wrote:

Hi Peter. I couldn't let the opportunity pass to ask about Mac compatibility questions. So here we go.

Mac 'n CS? I'm thinking that a good Dubliner cheddar should work well.

For Mac 'n Zin I'm inclined toward a Reggiano Parmesan. What do you think?

As for Mac 'n syrah, I'm a bit stumped and open to suggestions.

edthebedhead

quality posts: 4 Private Messages edthebedhead

It is snowing here in Colorado. Winter!

SonomaBouliste

edthebedhead wrote:How does this Zinfandel compare with the Estate Vineyard, or others of the same/similar vintage?

The Meeks Hilltop has brighter fruit - raspberry predominant. It's dry, medium bodied, with moderate tannin at four years of age. As far as comparison to other 2009 Zins, ours stand out a bit due to our very limited use of new oak. To my taste, Cab generally needs lots of oak, but obvious oak in Zin destroys its charm - makes it seem like a cheap &-#5.

The Estate Vineyard Zinfandel is more tannic, solid structure and a darker character to the fruit, with added notes of mixed spices and earth. The Estate Zin typically just starts to open up at five years old and starts to get really interesting at 8 to 10 years.

As far as winemaking, it's pretty similar ; 2 -3 ton open top fermentors, extended cold soak and/or not inoculated with packaged yeast, pressed around dryness, low percentage of new oak. The Estate does require more time in barrel to soften. We typically bottle the Meeks at 10-13 months after harvest and the Estate at 16-18 months,

SonomaBouliste

noslensj wrote:Hi Peter. I couldn't let the opportunity pass to ask about Mac compatibility questions. So here we go.

Mac 'n CS? I'm thinking that a good Dubliner cheddar should work well.

For Mac 'n Zin I'm inclined toward a Reggiano Parmesan. What do you think?

As for Mac 'n syrah, I'm a bit stumped and open to suggestions.

Funny you should ask. Tonight I made m&c with Asiago, Jarlsberg and a Sardinian Pecorino. We had EnglandCrest Syrah and it worked superbly.

NightGhost

quality posts: 1905 Private Messages NightGhost

Hi Peter,

Can you give us recommended drinking windows on these?

Thanks!

SonomaBouliste

edthebedhead wrote:It is snowing here in Colorado. Winter!

We had some much ballyhooed rain last night - 0.05 inches. Brings our January total to 0.10. It "only" got to the mid 60's today. We are currently facing a high probability of a catastrophic drought. Farmers, including grape growers , are facing multiple challenges, municipalities are running out of stored water, salmon have been unable to enter river systems to spawn, fire danger is high now and likely will be critical come summer.

Yes, I have been complaining about our sunny January days in the 70's. I wish we could average out conditions with the parts of the country suffering from miserable cold and storms.

SonomaBouliste

NightGhost wrote:Hi Peter,

Thanks!

Arrrgh. I would say the bay window of a nice restaurant for the Cabernet, by the window of the pop-up camping tent for the Zin, and I wouldn't drink the Syrah too close to any window this time of year - too chilly.

SonomaBouliste

NightGhost wrote:Hi Peter,

Thanks!

I've written at length how subjective and individual this issue is, but here goes:
2009 Cabernet, Sonoma County - now to 2020
2009 Zinfandel, Meeks Hilltop Ranch - now to 2016
2009 Syrah, EnglandCrest - now to 2021

SonomaBouliste

Good night y'all. I'll be back tomorrow.

darynmckay

quality posts: 3 Private Messages darynmckay

Wellington = Autobuy.

Peter, I had a question for you about a prior order that I pm'ed you so it's not taking up precious on-topic space in this forum.

Sidenote: Is it horrible that the recipe in the description actually sounds like it would be delicious if you took out the bowl?

NightGhost

quality posts: 1905 Private Messages NightGhost
SonomaBouliste wrote:I've written at length how subjective and individual this issue is, but here goes:
2009 Cabernet, Sonoma County - now to 2020
2009 Zinfandel, Meeks Hilltop Ranch - now to 2016
2009 Syrah, EnglandCrest - now to 2021

Thank you. Yes - I realize it's subjective. As a bouliste, you obviously like to roll 'em, whereas I, as a poker player, prefer to hold 'em. But I wouldn't do either anywhere near a window.

islidur

quality posts: 3 Private Messages islidur

I haven't Wooted in a pretty long time. I sustained a head injury and lost the ability to smell and taste, so haven't been motivated to spend money on wines. I still have many bottles of Wellington in the cellar and there's some indications my disability is clearing, so I'm in on this great deal with the hope I'll soon be able to enjoy some of the older stock and replace it with this.

If not, the wife will certainly enjoy enough for the both of us.

rpm

quality posts: 172 Private Messages rpm
SonomaBouliste wrote:Well, I just listened to the Vintner Voicemail. Don't waste your time; it's tedious, rambling, slightly incoherent and neither informational nor entertaining.
I just didn't speak well, but I can write a bit at least;)

Nonsense Peter, always great to hear from you and see your wines here!

Folks, this is a certified RPM AUTOBUY. Buy what you can afford, and then one more set.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

Cyradia

quality posts: 29 Private Messages Cyradia

Can you please compare the 2009s with the 2008s (and maybe the 2007s, if you're feeling froggy)?

I felt like your 2008 and 2007s zins and merlots were surprisingly different...so I'm curious how the 2009s are shaping up.

Harvest comments...how it changed the flavor profile, etc.?

tmmcelmurry

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tmmcelmurry

No Missouri Shipping. Sad kitten face Why no love for the show me state?

kylecountryman

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kylecountryman

Oh man, I don't need any more wine, but I love Wellington. I don't think I have any more space either, because I have to do some bottling this weekend. This is quite a dilemma...what to do?

Peter - I sent you a PM for something a bit off topic. Thanks.

tjhoulihan

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tjhoulihan
tmmcelmurry wrote:No Missouri Shipping. Sad kitten face Why no love for the show me state?

PM Peter -or- email his GM Toby (toby@wellingtonvineyards.com). Reference the Woot deal and they might be able to get close to this pricing direct from the winery (shipping will probably be slightly more expensive).

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
chipgreen wrote:Peter, thanks for bestowing us with a pope hat/rocket ship new release extravaganza!

I'm in for at least one set - any of the usual suspects want to combine/split additional sets?

I would take one of each, but certainly don't need them, so fine either way.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

bflohl

quality posts: 3 Private Messages bflohl
rc70 wrote:Definite auto buy even though I'm out of storage space and have a very large amount of "Wellington" already.
I believe I will have a Wellington weekend so i can drink up some space for this. Thank you Peter.

Likewise here. The case from the Nov. offering is still sitting in the cellar, waiting for room in the racks to open up. But in for one anyway.

jmdavidson

quality posts: 57 Private Messages jmdavidson

Any predictions on when this will be a sell out? I'll go with 12:45.

pheasantdog

quality posts: 3 Private Messages pheasantdog

AAARRGHHHH! Wellington is one of my favorite vintners and Wine.Woot has stopped shipping to Missouri! Time to contact Wellington direct.

When will the insanity stop?

Woot - Why won't you ship to Missouri? Others can!

jessicadennis

quality posts: 4 Private Messages jessicadennis

Ugh when did stupid Georgia start being an even bigger buzzkill? I know I've had Wellington delivered before, but now I can't? BOO I say, BOOOOOO.

pmuscian

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pmuscian

Wine from Wellington? I'm in, first time wooting wine. We visited this vineyard years back and fell in love with the Noir de Noirs--a "smack your face" inky bold red. But happy to score this combo. Tnx!

tmmcelmurry

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tmmcelmurry

Thanks

tjhoulihan wrote:PM Peter -or- email his GM Toby (toby@wellingtonvineyards.com). Reference the Woot deal and they might be able to get close to this pricing direct from the winery (shipping will probably be slightly more expensive).

nathanbsmith

quality posts: 3 Private Messages nathanbsmith

In for three - NOT!!!! Thanks to the Tennessee buzzkill...

LAST PURCHASE: Creminelli Italian Salami

2014: 1 (Thanks to stick-in-the-mud buzzkilling state legislators)

2013: 183 bottles and counting
2012: 74 bottles
2011: 38 bottles

My CT

mproulx49

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mproulx49

Never had a Wellington that I didn't love! Definitely an autobuy, even if your cellar is full and you have no money to spend :-)

sdilullo

quality posts: 36 Private Messages sdilullo

Buy, buy, buy.
Buy, buy, buy.
Buy, buy, buyyyyy, buy, buyyy.

Buy, buy, buy.
Oh, auto-buy.
Click that yellow button and buy.

Hey!

QPR.
QPR.
Peter makes great wine.

Don't think twice.
That's not nice.
Buy, buy, buyyyyy, buyyyy, buyyyyyy!

----------------------

I'd hope you can figure out what tune to sing this to.

my CT | bottles wooted to date: 249
my flying adventures | a mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway will take you anywhere.

SonomaBouliste

tmmcelmurry wrote:No Missouri Shipping. Sad kitten face Why no love for the show me state?

As with previous deals, we will offer this w00t to customers in states where we can legally ship but w00t can't. Shipping may be a little higher for some states (though we have been doing very little shipping lately due to weather).
Just send an e-mail to Toby@wellingtonvineyards.com, and he'll get back to you next week.

gastrognome

quality posts: 3 Private Messages gastrognome

Auto Buy! Peter's stuff is always welcome in my basement.