Canihan Family Cellars Estate Pinot Noir 2-Pack
$64.99 $117.00 44% off List Price
2011 Canihan Family Cellars Estate Pinot Noir, Sonoma Coast
CT link above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

klezman

quality posts: 121 Private Messages klezman

A monkey wearing a cape stopped by the office today and flung a bottle of 2011 Canihan Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir at me. It had a note on it: "Must be consumed by 10pm tonight. This is both a Black Tie and a Pope Hat/Rocket Ship, first time anybody outside the winery has seen this!" Excited at the prospect I brought it home with me this evening.

PnP: Colour is a deep reddish-purple. Medium weigh and viscosity judging by the legs. Alcohol is 14.1%. Wow, lots of earthy mushroom! Off to a great start. Ever so slight hint of alcohol, but this will undoubtedly blow off in a few minutes. There's also a hint of cola and the bright cherry is starting to come out after a couple minutes of swirling. First couple sips are brilliantly acidic and mineral, actually almost overwhelmingly so (and if you know my tastes, that's really saying something). There is big ripe raspberry and pomegranate fruit and something herbaceous - rosemary? The mushrooms come back immediately after swallowing and persist into the finish for a good 20+ seconds. The finish dies out toward the fruity end of things, but the sous bois character sticks around even longer.

Initial impression: crap...I may not be able to resist this one, depending on the price. This is a food wine, neither wimpy nor overripe. Burgundian in overall style, and this is a baby that should last for at least 5 years.

Almost an hour later, it's softened considerably while the flavour profile has moved a bit towards the fruit. Don't worry, though, the mushroom is still there.

Having this with some Mahi-Mahi, sauteed with a Thai 7-spice blend, since that's what we'd already planned for the evening. It's not the perfect pairing, but they do play nice together. It even handles the low-level spice pretty well.

Another half hour later the nose is limestone, sous bois, and raspberry. I'm definitely enjoying that the woods never leave this wine.

Almost 3 hours in, now, and it's deepened further and increased a bit in complexity. Some greener notes have emerged as well while the fruit continues to play ball with the mushroom and earth. This is a pre-release wine and I don't have the experience with this producer to know how it's going to evolve. So that's the question I'm throwing to the winery!

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

cortot20

quality posts: 137 Private Messages cortot20

Completely out of my current price range but you make it sound so good Klez, I have to woefully pass on this.

CT

klezman

cortot20 wrote:Completely out of my current price range but you make it sound so good Klez, I have to woefully pass on this.

I am still enjoying the last glass from the bottle. I should have left 1/3 of it for tomorrow night, but it just kept vanishing. molarchae didn't even help much.

So now nearly 4 hours after opening it's come out with some notes from the oak - some caramel and butterscotch.

Agreed on the price - if it was under $30 it'd be a must buy. At $35 it's harder for me to justify in my current situation. But I do want to buy two sets - a bottle or two for now and the rest to start opening in 2016/7.

2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

bcanihan

quality posts: 9 Private Messages bcanihan

Hi Wooters, Bill Canihan of Canihan Winery here. It's great to be back on the Wine.Woot boards with an early look at our upcoming release of the 2011 Estate Pinot Noir. Dry-farmed, cane-pruned to yield less than 1.5 tons per acre, certified organic vineyard on the border of the Sonoma Coast. A great value, as this will retail for $50/bottle.
I look forward to today's comments & discussion. Bill Canihan

rjquillin

quality posts: 171 Private Messages rjquillin
klezman wrote:... the sous bois character ...

Not just Canadian, but French-Canadian even!

I got entirely too much expensive PN on BD-V, but you do make me want to consider this.
Pondering, for now.

CT

rjquillin

Bill,
As this is a new release, can you compare/contrast to your two earlier releases for us?
Klezman suggested a drink/cellar window from now to out five or six years.
Based on your other vintages, any comments here, when properly cellared?

Thanks for the launch here, and joining in.

[edit] and reading a bit more I see mention of Phil your vineyard manager being associated with Moon Mountain. Was this before Repris acquired the property, or is he still active with them as well. I ask out of curiosity, as some of us here picked up some MM bottles when they were being liquidated a few years ago.

CT

cortot20

quality posts: 137 Private Messages cortot20
rjquillin wrote:Not just Canadian, but French-Canadian even!

I got entirely too much expensive PN on BD-V, but you do make me want to consider this.
Pondering, for now.

Agreed, thanks to klezman for making me google something in French. Damn French Canadians and their French words. This is America speak................oh yeah, I forget, speak what you want we're a nation of immigrants.

Thanks for the wordication.

CT

klezman

rjquillin wrote:Not just Canadian, but French-Canadian even!

Pondering, for now.

But...but...I'm from English speaking Canada!

Yeah I'm in the same boat as you, Ron. Want it, but not sure I can justify it.

neilfindswine

quality posts: 170 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

...thanks for stopping by today Bill.

I was sold on Canihan after tasting the Exuberance Syrah and had been talking to Bill about his '10 Pinot. But I took too long and now it's all gone... So when Bill asked if we'd want to debut the recently bottled '11, I said "but of course.."

I have nothing to add to Klez's detailed, Canadian notes. Quality, BTB juice here.

Also curious how this youngster will age.

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

bcanihan

klezman wrote:A monkey wearing a cape stopped by the office today and flung a bottle of 2011 Canihan Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir at me. It had a note on it: "Must be consumed by 10pm tonight. This is both a Black Tie and a Pope Hat/Rocket Ship, first time anybody outside the winery has seen this!" Excited at the prospect I brought it home with me this evening.

PnP: Colour is a deep reddish-purple. Medium weigh and viscosity judging by the legs. Alcohol is 14.1%. Wow, lots of earthy mushroom! Off to a great start. Ever so slight hint of alcohol, but this will undoubtedly blow off in a few minutes. There's also a hint of cola and the bright cherry is starting to come out after a couple minutes of swirling. First couple sips are brilliantly acidic and mineral, actually almost overwhelmingly so (and if you know my tastes, that's really saying something). There is big ripe raspberry and pomegranate fruit and something herbaceous - rosemary? The mushrooms come back immediately after swallowing and persist into the finish for a good 20+ seconds. The finish dies out toward the fruity end of things, but the sous bois character sticks around even longer.

Initial impression: crap...I may not be able to resist this one, depending on the price. This is a food wine, neither wimpy nor overripe. Burgundian in overall style, and this is a baby that should last for at least 5 years.

Almost an hour later, it's softened considerably while the flavour profile has moved a bit towards the fruit. Don't worry, though, the mushroom is still there.

Having this with some Mahi-Mahi, sauteed with a Thai 7-spice blend, since that's what we'd already planned for the evening. It's not the perfect pairing, but they do play nice together. It even handles the low-level spice pretty well.

Another half hour later the nose is limestone, sous bois, and raspberry. I'm definitely enjoying that the woods never leave this wine.

Almost 3 hours in, now, and it's deepened further and increased a bit in complexity. Some greener notes have emerged as well while the fruit continues to play ball with the mushroom and earth. This is a pre-release wine and I don't have the experience with this producer to know how it's going to evolve. So that's the question I'm throwing to the winery!

Hello Klezman,
Bill Canihan here, and I'm glad that you enjoyed the preview of our upcoming release of 2011 Estate Pinot Noir. Our Pinots evolve very slowly, with the acidity gradually fading over the next 4-5 years; however, the raspberry, pomegranate and mushroom notes will linger for 5-6 more years, perhaps longer. Over the holidays, we had a bottle of our 2005 & 2007 Pinots, and both showed extremely well and elegant. The acidity & tannins had faded, but the fruit remained present.
I feel that our dry-farming and cane-pruning result in elegant wines that age much longer than the typical 4-5 years for most Pinots. Yes, I agree this is a baby, bottled last March, and we try to allow a full year of bottle age prior to release, but we've sold-out of our prior vintages.
Thanks, Bill Canihan

bcanihan

rjquillin wrote:Bill,
As this is a new release, can you compare/contrast to your two earlier releases for us?
Klezman suggested a drink/cellar window from now to out five or six years.
Based on your other vintages, any comments here, when properly cellared?

Thanks for the launch here, and joining in.

[edit] and reading a bit more I see mention of Phil your vineyard manager being associated with Moon Mountain. Was this before Repris acquired the property, or is he still active with them as well. I ask out of curiosity, as some of us here picked up some MM bottles when they were being liquidated a few years ago.

Thanks for your comments & questions. I feel that the 2011 will improve over the next 3-4 years, likely peaking in 2018. I'd compare the growing season for the 2011 to that of 2005 & 2007. I'm surprised at how well the 2005 vintage remains integrated & balanced today. The 2005 & 2007 were not as integrated 10 months post-bottling as the 2011 is today. The 2011 is lovely now, but I would suggest opening it a few hours prior to enjoying, as it definitely needs to breathe.

Phil is still involved farming the Moon Mountain property for Repris.
Its a fabulous property that produced great wines (Carmenet, Moon Mountain) and continues today as Repris. Farming practies necessary to produce stellar wines are not cheap, and its difficult as a producer when farming costs alone exceed $30/bottle for certain vintages (2004, 2005, 2008 & 2009 for us).
Thanks, Bill Canihan

bcanihan

neilfindswine wrote:...thanks for stopping by today Bill.

I was sold on Canihan after tasting the Exuberance Syrah and had been talking to Bill about his '10 Pinot. But I took too long and now it's all gone... So when Bill asked if we'd want to debut the recently bottled '11, I said "but of course.."

I have nothing to add to Klez's detailed, Canadian notes. Quality, BTB juice here.

Also curious how this youngster will age.

Thanks Neil, It's great to be back on the Wine.Woot boards again. I expect the 2011 to gradually soften with out losing an y raspberry, pomegranate or mushroom notes over the next 3-4 years, likely peaking in 2017-2018; however, compared with our prior Pinot vintages, its showing better at this 10-month mark post-bottling than our prior vintages (except for maybe the 2007). If allowed to breathe for a few hours, I think it's delicious right now. We only produced 230 cases, as early rains compressed our harvest. We picked half of the 2011 Pinot a few days prior to the rain, and the remaining half in the rain.

Thanks, Bill Canihan

InFrom

quality posts: 31 Private Messages InFrom
neilfindswine wrote: I said "but of course.."

Admit it -- didn't you really say, "mais oui"?

bsevern

quality posts: 109 Private Messages bsevern

A monkey dropped a bottle of this off at my office too, didn't realize it was up today.....I need to get on it ASAP!!!!

jmdavidson

quality posts: 57 Private Messages jmdavidson
bsevern wrote:A monkey dropped a bottle of this off at my office too, didn't realize it was up today.....I need to get on it ASAP!!!!

As suggested, besides PnP notations, I hope you have time to do a tasting after a lengthy decant. Mushroom in PN always intrigues me.

bsevern

jmdavidson wrote:As suggested, besides PnP notations, I hope you have time to do a tasting after a lengthy decant. Mushroom in PN always intrigues me.

I'll take one for the team and open this at lunch with a small sample then, and the rest to follow this evening

neilfindswine

quality posts: 170 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

InFrom wrote:Admit it -- didn't you really say, "mais oui"?

I think I actually said: "Sure, eh. I'm all aboot it".

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

trifecta

quality posts: 72 Private Messages trifecta
bcanihan wrote:Hi Wooters, Bill Canihan of Canihan Winery here. It's great to be back on the Wine.Woot boards with an early look at our upcoming release of the 2011 Estate Pinot Noir. Dry-farmed, cane-pruned to yield less than 1.5 tons per acre, certified organic vineyard on the border of the Sonoma Coast. A great value, as this will retail for $50/bottle.
I look forward to today's comments & discussion. Bill Canihan

Bill,

Thanks for joining the boards today. As always your participation is very much appreciated. The style and flavor profile of this pinot sounds right up my alley, especially based on a trusted palate like klezman's.

From the website I see that you focus mainly on Pinot and Syrah, but also produce a Cab Franc on the estate? Not to derail the Pinot conversation here, but there are some francophiles here (raised hand) that would enjoy hearing about that, especially since it looks like you aren't currently growing other Bordeaux varietals. There are not many folks bottling Cab Franc by itself. What inspired you to add Cab Franc to the vineyard as one of only 3 grapes?

klezman

I also raise my hand for Cab Franc, especially the cooler climate variety.

bcanihan

trifecta wrote:Bill,

Thanks for joining the boards today. As always your participation is very much appreciated. The style and flavor profile of this pinot sounds right up my alley, especially based on a trusted palate like klezman's.

From the website I see that you focus mainly on Pinot and Syrah, but also produce a Cab Franc on the estate? Not to derail the Pinot conversation here, but there are some francophiles here (raised hand) that would enjoy hearing about that, especially since it looks like you aren't currently growing other Bordeaux varietals. There are not many folks bottling Cab Franc by itself. What inspired you to add Cab Franc to the vineyard as one of only 3 grapes?

Hi Trifecta, thank you for your comments and questions. I was a wine consumer in the 1980s & 1990's (before spending every nickel on planting our vineyard in 1998) and I was a fan of Heitz Cabs from Martha's Vineyard (affordable way back then)which had several eucalyptus trees located in the vineyard, resulting in a slight mint/menthol character, which I enjoyed.
The neighbor bordering the West side of our vineyard has a line of eucalyptus trees (the winds & rains are from the west at our site, and since our site & climate are too cool for Cabernet Sauvignon & Zin to ripen consistently, Cab Franc was my choice for a 2.5 acre block.
We only produced two vintages (2005 & 2006) before vineyard manager Phil Coturri convinced me to bud-over the Cab Franc in 2007 in order to have a white varietal for our "Estate Program". I chose Viognier as that varietal. After the bud-over, our Cab Francs were released and received Gold Medals in two annual SF Chronicle Wine Competitions, and Wine & Spirits Mag gave a "93-point" rating. Due to weather issues such as frost, dehydration, early rains causing mildew, etc we harvested our first Viognier only last year. We are currently in the process of cutting-back 3/4ths of the Viognier vines so that we'll have Cab Franc back again in 2015 or 2016, while maintaining a small amount of Viognier to co-ferment with our Syrah (3-4%). It seems the Cab Franc following is very loyal, and I wouldn't want to make those fans wait any longer.

Thanks,

Bill Canihan

bcanihan

klezman wrote:I also raise my hand for Cab Franc, especially the cooler climate variety.

Thanks Klezman,
I agree. Please see my reply to trifecta from a few minutes ago about the background on the Cab Franc. So many people have asked me if I was insane to bud-over the Cab Franc, but we'll have some back in a couple of years.

Thanks,

Bill Canihan

kaolis

quality posts: 27 Private Messages kaolis
bcanihan wrote:Hi Trifecta, thank you for your comments and questions. I was a wine consumer in the 1980s & 1990's (before spending every nickel on planting our vineyard in 1998) and I was a fan of Heitz Cabs from Martha's Vineyard (affordable way back then)which had several eucalyptus trees located in the vineyard, resulting in a slight mint/menthol character, which I enjoyed.
The neighbor bordering the West side of our vineyard has a line of eucalyptus trees (the winds & rains are from the west at our site, and since our site & climate are too cool for Cabernet Sauvignon & Zin to ripen consistently, Cab Franc was my choice for a 2.5 acre block.
We only produced two vintages (2005 & 2006) before vineyard manager Phil Coturri convinced me to bud-over the Cab Franc in 2007 in order to have a white varietal for our "Estate Program". I chose Viognier as that varietal. After the bud-over, our Cab Francs were released and received Gold Medals in two annual SF Chronicle Wine Competitions, and Wine & Spirits Mag gave a "93-point" rating. Due to weather issues such as frost, dehydration, early rains causing mildew, etc we harvested our first Viognier only last year. We are currently in the process of cutting-back 3/4ths of the Viognier vines so that we'll have Cab Franc back again in 2015 or 2016, while maintaining a small amount of Viognier to co-ferment with our Syrah (3-4%). It seems the Cab Franc following is very loyal, and I wouldn't want to make those fans wait any longer.

Thanks,

Bill Canihan

Ouch! That sounds like an expensive lesson.

mjrowe

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mjrowe

Budding over cab franc to plant viogner makes me sad. :-(

rjquillin

And wonder what Phil was thinking..

CT

bcanihan

rjquillin wrote:And wonder what Phil was thinking..

Yes, it made me more and more sad every year that went by without ANY Viognier. Phil actually wanted me to plant Chardonnay, which can grow almost anywhere. In any event, I'm excited to have 2 acres of Cab Franc returning.

Thanks,

Bill Canihan

dstearl

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dstearl

I have bottles of 2005,2006, and 2007 Canihan Exuberance Estate Syrah in my cellar. I keep staring at them wondering when I should open them.

How are they drinking now, am I waiting too long on the 2005?

bsevern

Had a quick (read very small) sample during lunch right after opening the bottle. Initially was very earthy, mushroom, almost a bit dank. Was quite smooth, lots of acid, lot of fruit, notably ripe strawberry. OK, cork in, back to this at dinner.

Got home, girlfriend made home made pot-stickers, good should be a nice pairing. Poured a new glass, and with the first sniffy sniff it was quickly obvious the breath did this good. Now in addition to the earthy, mushroomy, forest floor nose, it was now infused with beautiful bright red fruit, with some blue fruit in the background. Very nice!

Poured a half glass, and the first sip was like an entirely differnt wine then the wine I tried at lunch. The wine really opened up! The earthy, mushroomy, forest floor was still present, albeit now taking back seat to the beautiful and pure fruit. Not a fruit bomb by any stretch of the imagination, but just lush, tasty, layered raspberry, dark cherry, with hints of blue berries, and dark chocolate. I get a bit of oak, but it's well integrated. The finish is medium, not longer. The finish reminds me a a cherry liquor I've had that I can't quite put my finger on. I wish the finish was a bit longer, but it's very nice while it last. I'm going to gas a quarter of the bottle tonight and see how it holds up a couple of nights later.

Overall, I really enjoyed this wine. It's not inexpensive, but it's very well crafted, even the bottle is high quality. If you're a Pinot lover, that tends to favor Sonoma Coastal Pinots with all their mushroomy, forest floor funk, along with great fruit, you should enjoy this!

jmdavidson

quality posts: 57 Private Messages jmdavidson

Great rattage. Thanks for the input. Too bad it sold out hours ago. Also too bad that more could not have been made available.

twinketoes

quality posts: 0 Private Messages twinketoes

yay. I was the last wooter, can't wait, it's due to arrive tomorrow. After this past week I could sure do with a nice bottle of Pinot. lol

:-p

mpfrogner

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mpfrogner

Has anyone received theirs yet?

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 563 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

mpfrogner wrote:Has anyone received theirs yet?

Wine.woot shipments take a bit longer than shipments from our other sites. Allow at least 2-3 weeks.

The FAQ:

How long is shipment going to take?
You should get your wine in 2-3 weeks, often sooner. We know the wait is kind of a drag. But it's still gonna taste good (maybe even better), and since we leave it to the wineries to get the wine to you, you can count on their experience to send their wine using their expert methodologies.

FORUM MODERATOR.............ON VACATION!
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders