quality posts: 1563 Private Messages Cesare

Caleo Negroamaro del Salento Italian Red 4-Pack
$49.99 $87.00 43% off List Price
2012 Caleo Negroamaro del Salento IGT
CT link above

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

chipgreen

quality posts: 178 Private Messages chipgreen

2012 Caleo Negroamaro del Salento

I got to sample a bottle of this wine and don't know exactly what to make of it! Have never tried a Negroamaro before so do not know if this is typical of the varietal but here are my impressions;

Dark burgundy color in the glass with very slow forming, widely spaced legs and 1/8" clear meniscus when held to the light.

Fruity nose, mostly berries. Strawberry, raspberry, blackberry... maybe a little cherry and just a touch of smoke.

The palate doesn't really seem to follow the nose. There is some initial "barnyard" funk, reminiscent of hay and/or clover. Plummy mid-palate with dark chocolate and black cherry notes on the back end.

The wine is medium-bodied with a soft mouthfeel and mild tannins. It has a savory character to it that seems to tie in with an allspice note that comes and goes. There is a slight metallic aftertaste - calcium.

It's almost like a chameleon wine but it's my perception that keeps changing rather than the wine itself. I will have to revisit this one tomorrow to see how it develops overnight but it's definitely interesting.

dalematthew

quality posts: 21 Private Messages dalematthew

Was just about to ask - so what is this. Thanks for the rattage!

pseudogourmet98

quality posts: 15 Private Messages pseudogourmet98

Vintage =2012. Specs tab lists "Cellaring: 4 years".

How exactly (without the aid of a DeLorean equipped with a fully functional flux capacitor) is that possible?

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
pseudogourmet98 wrote:Vintage =2012. Specs tab lists "Cellaring: 4 years".

How exactly (without the aid of a DeLorean equipped with a fully functional flux capacitor) is that possible?

Maybe they mean you could cellar it for four years?

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

rjquillin

quality posts: 169 Private Messages rjquillin
kylemittskus wrote:Maybe they mean you could cellar it for four years?

My thoughts exactly.
and I found the Producers Website giving additional info of 4 g/l RS. With only 5.5 g/l TA and no pH listed, this sounds like a pretty soft bottle that may do well to make it to four years.

CT

InFrom

quality posts: 31 Private Messages InFrom

I looked at this last night, and only held off buying because there was nothing much in the way of tasting notes. But now that I've slept on it: I'm curious, since I don't recall ever having this varietal before; chipgreen's notes make it sound at least acceptable; and I've recently become fixated on visiting Puglia. It all adds up to I have to try this.

pseudogourmet98

quality posts: 15 Private Messages pseudogourmet98
kylemittskus wrote:Maybe they mean you could cellar it for four years?

Ah! I hadn't thought of that.

chipgreen

rjquillin wrote:My thoughts exactly.
and I found the Producers Website giving additional info of 4 g/l RS. With only 5.5 g/l TA and no pH listed, this sounds like a pretty soft bottle that may do well to make it to four years.

Strange, I didn't notice any obvious sweetness and 4g/l should be pretty noticeable. There was a possible touch of sweetness mixed in with what I described as "hay and clover" but it came across as more pungent than sweet, kind of both. As previously mentioned, this wine is all over the place or maybe just my perception of it is. It's somewhere between complex and disjointed - at least it was on Day 1.

Day 2 notes:
Darker purple in the glass than I noticed last night. Nose has picked up a bit of a candied cherry note to accompany the berries.

Still getting that funk on the entry but it's leaning a bit more towards earthy than pungent now. Dark fruits on the mid-palate, plum and blackberry with some spice/smoke leading to black cherry and allspice on the finish.

The savory characteristic from last night seems to have morphed into an enjoyably juicy mouthfeel. I really didn't notice the acidity when I first tried this but it was enough to prevent the wine from seeming flabby. I am noticing some acid on the finish today and the tannins are a little more grippy. The slightly metallic aftertaste has almost vanished but I can still sense it a little. The varied parts seem to be coming together and I am liking this a lot more today.

klezman

quality posts: 119 Private Messages klezman
chipgreen wrote:Strange, I didn't notice any obvious sweetness and 4g/l should be pretty noticeable.

4 g/l is 0.4%, which is around the perceptibility threshold for most people. Shouldn't be obviously sweet by about any measure. 4% (40 g/l), on the other hand...

Thanks for the notes!

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

chipgreen

klezman wrote:4 g/l is 0.4%, which is around the perceptibility threshold for most people. Shouldn't be obviously sweet by about any measure. 4% (40 g/l), on the other hand...

Thanks for the notes!

Ahh, you're right. I mixed up g/l with %. I believe Scott Harvey has mentioned that 1% is generally considered the threshold of perceptibility for most people.

rjquillin

quality posts: 169 Private Messages rjquillin
klezman wrote:4 g/l is 0.4%, which is around the perceptibility threshold for most people. Shouldn't be obviously sweet by about any measure. 4% (40 g/l), on the other hand...

Thanks for the notes!

Carp, that decimal again. Good reason to avoid metric.

CT

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
chipgreen wrote:Ahh, you're right. I mixed up g/l with %. I believe Scott Harvey has mentioned that 1% is generally considered the threshold of perceptibility for most people.

I think that 2% is the threshold for most. I don't think 1% is perceptible. I could be misremembering, though.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

klezman

quality posts: 119 Private Messages klezman
kylemittskus wrote:I think that 2% is the threshold for most. I don't think 1% is perceptible. I could be misremembering, though.

I thought it was 0.3-0.5%, person-dependent.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT