Copa del Rey 2009 Rapel Valley Chardonnay
CT link above

Winery website

Previous offer:
10/29/11

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

rc70

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rc70

Fred ? It's Copa time even if it's not the right color.

cortot20

quality posts: 145 Private Messages cortot20
rc70 wrote:Fred ? It's Copa time even if it's not the right color.

There's always time for copa!!!!

CT

noslensj

quality posts: 42 Private Messages noslensj

I'm obviously not Fred, but Fred and I have almost similar tracks on the Copa cab. And I've bought the Copa chard before, so I'll weigh in.

For most folks this is going to wind up being about $9 to $10/bottle, with taxes and shipping. So the question is how does this compare with what you might be able to pull off the shelf for $9 at your local Safeway, TJs, BevMo, or similar.

My past purchases of Copa chard have been easily drinkable, with a soft mouth feel, and with obvious but not dominating MLF. If that's what you're looking for you should consider this offering, as it will be a solidly made, middle of the road chard. If forced to choose between this and Barefoot or Yellowtail, this would be my easy, if reluctant, choice.

For myself, I would save my money. Here in Washington I can go to the Rite-Aid in the local strip mall and get Columbia Crest or Chateau Ste. Michelle or Columbia Winery chards for about $8 that I enjoy vastly more. Or, for about the same amount of money I would go to Costco and grab Menagé a Trois white blend (which is mostly chard).

rickyr46

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rickyr46

Yes! Tennessee is back. My list is long. I have a lot of catching up to do. Thanks woot

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 35 Private Messages fredrinaldi

heh, heh, heh

blaculadave

quality posts: 18 Private Messages blaculadave

Staff

rickyr46 wrote:Yes! Tennessee is back. My list is long. I have a lot of catching up to do. Thanks woot

Sorry, that was a mistake...it was carried over from the last time we sold this offer.

Unfortunately, TN is not back yet.

rickyr46

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rickyr46

Crap..shakes fist at you.
Oh well

83fxwg

quality posts: 9 Private Messages 83fxwg

Holy crap NY has been back in since 10/10...had no idea. I was so mad I pulled Woot off my bookmark toolbar and junked their emails. WD maybe consider sending previous NY customers an email update in case they were as childish as me...

I'm drowning and monkeys dressed as lifeguards are throwing me anvils...

83fxwg

quality posts: 9 Private Messages 83fxwg

Almost forgot...in for 3. This is favorite of the summer lizards that lounge around my deck. Easy drinking with pronounced fruit flavors and as noslensj already stated a step above Barefoot and Yellowtail.

I'm drowning and monkeys dressed as lifeguards are throwing me anvils...

NightGhost

quality posts: 1905 Private Messages NightGhost

I had the 2008. It was enjoyable, with a smooth, if somewhat creamy mouthfeel, and a bright flavor of pineapple and lightly sweet citrus.

Partial MLF and some oak. So not a butterbomb, but not ultra-crisp either (I prefer the latter).

A good buy, if not an uber-bargain such as can sometimes be found here. I thought it was considerably better than the $8 bottles I can find in my local wineshops.

The 2008 was bottled in Chile and shipped up. The current vintage was shipped as bulk juice and bottled in the US.

My main concern is the age. I bought the 2008 in Feb. 2011 and drank it shortly afterwards. There was no sign of its being past its prime.

I've had 10-year-old Chardonnays that were fine, but others that had begun to spoil after 2 years. I think this one would lie somewhere in the middle of that range.

Has anyone had this recently?

KingsCup

quality posts: 4 Private Messages KingsCup

Hi all! I am Tierney with Hahn Family Wines. I am glad to see so many wooters on here who have tried the Copa's before and are familiar with them. If anyone has any questions, I will be glad to answer them. Woot on!

pseudogourmet98

quality posts: 17 Private Messages pseudogourmet98
KingsCup wrote:Hi all! I am Tierney with Hahn Family Wines. I am glad to see so many wooters on here who have tried the Copa's before and are familiar with them. If anyone has any questions, I will be glad to answer them. Woot on!

To start with could you address the age question in the post above yours?

NightGhost wrote:I
My main concern is the age. I bought the 2008 in Feb. 2011 and drank it shortly afterwards. There was no sign of its being past its prime.

I've had 10-year-old Chardonnays that were fine, but others that had begun to spoil after 2 years. I think this one would lie somewhere in the middle of that range.

KingsCup

NightGhost wrote:

My personal experience with this wine (take it or leave it)... I was skeptical too. Our staff tried it just last week in a meeting. Honestly, I wanted to find the flaws in it because I thought that a white wine from 2009 couldn't hold up. I was pretty shocked at what I tasted. Don't get me wrong, it doesn't taste like a newly released Chard but isn't past its prime either. I found the oak influences to be right up front but faded into an abundance of tropical fruit flavors. It still holds firm to its butterscotch and pineapple flavors but has mellowed out since its original release. It definitely needs to be enjoyed in 2014 though.
I would be interested to hear if anyone else has tasted this recently and what their experience was.

rjquillin

quality posts: 174 Private Messages rjquillin
KingsCup wrote:My personal experience with this wine (take it or leave it)... I was skeptical too. Our staff tried it just last week in a meeting. Honestly, I wanted to find the flaws in it because I thought that a white wine from 2009 couldn't hold up. I was pretty shocked at what I tasted. Don't get me wrong, it doesn't taste like a newly released Chard but isn't past its prime either. I found the oak influences to be right up front but faded into an abundance of tropical fruit flavors. It still holds firm to its butterscotch and pineapple flavors but has mellowed out since its original release. It definitely needs to be enjoyed in 2014 though.
I would be interested to hear if anyone else has tasted this recently and what their experience was.

Might you attribute the slower aging to the Stelvin closure, or was a different one used?

CT

KingsCup

rjquillin wrote:Might you attribute the slower aging to the Stelvin closure, or was a different one used?

The closure on this vintage is still the screw cap closure. As I am sure you know, there are so many factors that go into the age potential of a wine that it is hard to pinpoint what exactly worked in this instance. I'm sure the screw cap certainly helped, but it could also be attributed to where the grapes came from, the vintage, and even the winemakers style.

rjquillin

quality posts: 174 Private Messages rjquillin
KingsCup wrote:The closure on this vintage is still the screw cap closure. As I am sure you know, there are so many factors that go into the age potential of a wine that it is hard to pinpoint what exactly worked in this instance. I'm sure the screw cap certainly helped, but it could also be attributed to where the grapes came from, the vintage, and even the winemakers style.
rjquillin wrote:Might you attribute the slower aging to the Stelvin closure, or was a different one used?

.. but a Stelvin ~is~ a screw cap.
You used something else?

CT

KingsCup

rjquillin wrote:.. but a Stelvin ~is~ a screw cap.
You used something else?

My apologies if my reply was not clear. Yes we used the Stelvin (I called it a screw cap in case other users were unaware of the term) on this vintage.

emmabean2000

quality posts: 6 Private Messages emmabean2000

Ok, I know I am late to the party, but Wisconsin has been off the list flor awhile, and I have not been reading posts lately. WELCOME BACK NightGhost! Your insight has been missed .

jimjacks66

quality posts: 32 Private Messages jimjacks66
emmabean2000 wrote:Ok, I know I am late to the party, but Wisconsin has been off the list flor awhile, and I have not been reading posts lately. WELCOME BACK NightGhost! Your insight has been missed .

I agree fully with emmabean2000. I have missed Nightghost over the last year or more. Very glad Nightghost is back!