$74.99 $127.00 41% off List Price
2010 Madrigal Zinfandel, Napa Valley
2011 Madrigal Zinfandel, Napa Valley
CT links above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

cortot20

quality posts: 137 Private Messages cortot20

The specs on the 2010 are a little concerning......... High alc. high PH, Low TA does not make for a wine I typically enjoy. It would seem like a flabby bomb all the way.

CT

chrismadrigal

quality posts: 3 Private Messages chrismadrigal
cortot20 wrote:The specs on the 2010 are a little concerning......... High alc. high PH, Low TA does not make for a wine I typically enjoy. It would seem like a flabby bomb all the way.

Cortot, Thanks for making a comment and giving me an opportunity to address "flabby" wines….. Zinfandels grown in really hot weathers tend to have that "flabby" taste profile. Zinfandels from Napa are blessed with a taste profile that some really nice structure. Just like the Cabernet grown in Napa, a lot of structure.

I hope we can have an opportunity to show you how nice our Zinfandels are.

Chris

edthebedhead

quality posts: 4 Private Messages edthebedhead
chrismadrigal wrote:Cortot, Thanks for making a comment and giving me an opportunity to address "flabby" wines….. Zinfandels grown in really hot weathers tend to have that "flabby" taste profile. Zinfandels from Napa are blessed with a taste profile that some really nice structure. Just like the Cabernet grown in Napa, a lot of structure.

Chris

Chris...

Can you describe some great meals to enjoy with these wines?

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

Someone gets upgraded to First Class, and she forgets all about us!

cjsiege wrote:List of previous WW gatherings by area.
New list in the Gatherings tab and Old list in the Community tab. Great reading and great examples of how to set up a Get-Together Thread.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Upcoming Woot Wine Gatherings…All The News for the week of January 20.
Time to warm up with some bold red wines... Attend or Host a Get-Together in your area!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

January
1/24-26: Buffalo/WNY #11: Icewine Festival

February
2/1??: SoCal #31: Burgers and Zin
2/21-23: 2014 Dark & Delicious Weekend (Alameda, CA on Friday, Napa/Sonoma Sat & Sun)

March
3/15: Ohio: Winemakers' Dinner with Scott and Jana Harvey

Summer
TBD: 2014 RPM History Tour Interest Thread

Pending
TBD: Trip to Taldeschi, Hawley & Handal
TBD: Atlanta #1
TBD: NYC Tasting #??: A Tribute (interest thread)
TBD: NorCal #?: Open invitation to the New Muscardini Tasting Room

No events in your area??? Start one! Create an interest thread in the GATHERINGS Community Tab.

So join or create a WW Gathering!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

klezman

quality posts: 122 Private Messages klezman

We tasted the 2010 this afternoon at losthiwayz' place. First off, it's interesting that the label says 14.8% while the specs have this at 16.2%! Having tasted it, I wouldn't be surprised if it was closer to the 16% than 14.5% range.

Nose was heavy with ripe strawberry and blackberry bramble mixed in. It was on the edge of jammy. I thought based on the nose it was right on the edge of straddling the elegant vs fruit bomb Zin style. Colour is bright purple.

Palate was very new world to me. If you put Scott Harvey's Zins on a scale, with Jana Zin at the "new world" end, followed by red label, white label, then 1869 at the "old world" end, this is pretty close to the Jana in overall profile. Ripe dark fruits, a ton of wood and spice. Finish is oaky, leathery, woody, and seemed a touch hot - at least at pop-n-pour.

A while later with a pass through the vinturi, the oak seemed to mellow a bit. I'd take this to a party tonight and almost everybody would enjoy it. For my tastes, it would likely be better in 2-4 years once the oak has a chance to integrate better.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

UBlink

quality posts: 18 Private Messages UBlink

The 2011 showed up at the DFW woot dinner on Saturday. First thing about the nose it was big - you didn't have to go looking for it. Very fruity, I was getting raspberry. The same profile followed on the palate. I didn't find it overly oaky but I'm not as sensitive to that as others. We all agreed it was a very approachable wine, would be a good choice for a large group. At $20 you're paying for Napa Valley fruit (and Napa on the label).

Following the eight word profile, political economy in eight words:
Ain't no free lunch - them what has gets.

slm9951

quality posts: 14 Private Messages slm9951
klezman wrote:We tasted the 2010 this afternoon at losthiwayz' place. First off, it's interesting that the label says 14.8% while the specs have this at 16.2%! Having tasted it, I wouldn't be surprised if it was closer to the 16% than 14.5% range.

Nose was heavy with ripe strawberry and blackberry bramble mixed in. It was on the edge of jammy. I thought based on the nose it was right on the edge of straddling the elegant vs fruit bomb Zin style. Colour is bright purple.

Palate was very new world to me. If you put Scott Harvey's Zins on a scale, with Jana Zin at the "new world" end, followed by red label, white label, then 1869 at the "old world" end, this is pretty close to the Jana in overall profile. Ripe dark fruits, a ton of wood and spice. Finish is oaky, leathery, woody, and seemed a touch hot - at least at pop-n-pour.

A while later with a pass through the vinturi, the oak seemed to mellow a bit. I'd take this to a party tonight and almost everybody would enjoy it. For my tastes, it would likely be better in 2-4 years once the oak has a chance to integrate better.

What a wonderful and informative description!!!!

cortot20

klezman wrote:We tasted the 2010 this afternoon at losthiwayz' place. First off, it's interesting that the label says 14.8% while the specs have this at 16.2%! Having tasted it, I wouldn't be surprised if it was closer to the 16% than 14.5% range.

Thanks for the notes. It was very helpful.

CT

klinemic

quality posts: 3 Private Messages klinemic

I had the pleasure of enjoying an evening with Chris Madrigal during a wine pairing dinner sponsored by a local wine store in Maryland. His wines are top notch, especially his zins and cabs. I was hoping to see this on Woot. I'm in for two! I can assure you that if you are a zin fan you won't be disappointed.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
chrismadrigal wrote:Cortot, Thanks for making a comment and giving me an opportunity to address "flabby" wines….. Zinfandels grown in really hot weathers tend to have that "flabby" taste profile. Zinfandels from Napa are blessed with a taste profile that some really nice structure. Just like the Cabernet grown in Napa, a lot of structure.

Chris

First of all, thanks for joining us. I'm not sure what your point is. This wine is from a certain region, therefore it's not flabby even though the specs suggest otherwise? I think most of us have had phenomenal CS from Napa. We've also had horrible, flabby CS from Napa. If your goal was to make a big a** fruit bomb Zin, great! If you're a "numbers aren't everything" guy, great! But I'm not buying the "it's from Napa so it's not flabby" argument.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

losthighwayz

quality posts: 59 Private Messages losthighwayz

My tasting notes are similar to Klez except I did not find it that jammy. Agree ut is a decent zin but nothing that separates it from other supermarket wines in the $15-$20 range. No doubt it would be a crowd pleaser. Was mega purple used? I swear I am able to pick it out when smelling/tasting wine.

"The older I get the better I was"

klinemic

quality posts: 3 Private Messages klinemic

My experience is that there's nothing flabby about Madrigal's zins. Although the numbers may give you reason to suspect, my taste buds say that it isn't the case. I purchased because I'm running low and this is a good deal and my wife and I always need some good zins. This will not disappoint.

kylemittskus wrote:First of all, thanks for joining us. I'm not sure what your point is. This wine is from a certain region, therefore it's not flabby even though the specs suggest otherwise? I think most of us have had phenomenal CS from Napa. We've also had horrible, flabby CS from Napa. If your goal was to make a big a** fruit bomb Zin, great! If you're a "numbers aren't everything" guy, great! But I'm not buying the "it's from Napa so it's not flabby" argument.

chrismadrigal

edthebedhead wrote:Chris...

Can you describe some great meals to enjoy with these wines?

Edthebedhead,

My first reaction is BBQ, there is place in Calistoga called Buster's BBQ (on the corner of Hwy 29 and Lincoln) that we have with the Zin all the time. Another one recently introduced to me by Quinton that works here is Chinese food. The different and complexity of the dishes was winner across the board. Have more but these came to mind quickly!!

Chris

chrismadrigal

Klezman,

Thank you for your description and comments on the wine. Also, it was nice that you got that it would be crowd pleaser now and a wine that could lay down for a several years more. We have some older vintages that really hang in there, which is nice to see.

Chris

chrismadrigal

klinemic wrote:I had the pleasure of enjoying an evening with Chris Madrigal during a wine pairing dinner sponsored by a local wine store in Maryland. His wines are top notch, especially his zins and cabs. I was hoping to see this on Woot. I'm in for two! I can assure you that if you are a zin fan you won't be disappointed.

Klinemic,

MD is a GREAT market for us and appreciate all the support that we have received as a small family winery. Hope to see you in Napa.

Chris

chrismadrigal

kylemittskus wrote:First of all, thanks for joining us. I'm not sure what your point is. This wine is from a certain region, therefore it's not flabby even though the specs suggest otherwise? I think most of us have had phenomenal CS from Napa. We've also had horrible, flabby CS from Napa. If your goal was to make a big a** fruit bomb Zin, great! If you're a "numbers aren't everything" guy, great! But I'm not buying the "it's from Napa so it's not flabby" argument.

Kylemittskus,

Yes, you are right, I did a gross generalization of flabby wines and growing areas, I should have been more specific that in Napa we have milder weather and some hot days in the north valley, but in comparison to areas closer to the Capitol, we are less hot. The heat can ripen fruit quickly, which creates higher sugars which translate to higher alc and etc. So I was using a generalization not a rule. Yes, I have tasted flabby wines from Napa. But there are many factors that come into the mix.

I guess my point is that for the price point we are selling at WineWoot, we are looking for people to give us a try. We are small family winery in the Napa Valley and my family has been in the valley for 3 generations and we'd like to expose our wines to new group of wine lovers. As the owner, I can say this. If you don't like the wines, we will make it right. But we know you'll like it because we make every bottle with care from the grape to the bottle.

Chris

chrismadrigal

losthighwayz wrote:My tasting notes are similar to Klez except I did not find it that jammy. Agree ut is a decent zin but nothing that separates it from other supermarket wines in the $15-$20 range. No doubt it would be a crowd pleaser. Was mega purple used? I swear I am able to pick it out when smelling/tasting wine.

LostHighWayz,

I want to address that no mega purple was used. That is really for the "big volume" winemakers, we tend to be non-interventionalist in winemaking.

As for "nothing separates it from supermarket wines". I am not going to make a generalization like I did before, but I would say that with purchasing from Madrigal Family Winery, you are purchasing from a small family business that makes their living from growing grapes and making wine and selling to consumers like yourself. Please don't read in it that I don't buy from supermarkets and large brands because I do, but just know that with every purchase you are supporting a family business that you can come visit and I hope that you do.

Chris

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
chrismadrigal wrote:Kylemittskus,

Yes, you are right, I did a gross generalization of flabby wines and growing areas, I should have been more specific that in Napa we have milder weather and some hot days in the north valley, but in comparison to areas closer to the Capitol, we are less hot. The heat can ripen fruit quickly, which creates higher sugars which translate to higher alc and etc. So I was using a generalization not a rule. Yes, I have tasted flabby wines from Napa. But there are many factors that come into the mix.

I guess my point is that for the price point we are selling at WineWoot, we are looking for people to give us a try. We are small family winery in the Napa Valley and my family has been in the valley for 3 generations and we'd like to expose our wines to new group of wine lovers. As the owner, I can say this. If you don't like the wines, we will make it right. But we know you'll like it because we make every bottle with care from the grape to the bottle.

Chris

I appreciate the response. We're a pretty educated group here, if I may say so, and we appreciate candor and participation so thanks for providing both.

Who would you compare your wine to? Turley and Gamba make big, high-octane wines (love both). Carlisle is a little more restrained, but still pretty big (love). Bedrock is out there and they're even more restrained (also love, but not as much as some), but still not to the Ridge level (nothing but love, but very different style). Who's on the field with you guys?

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

klezman

slm9951 wrote:What a wonderful and informative description!!!!

cortot20 wrote:Thanks for the notes. It was very helpful.

Happy to help!

2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

klezman

Agree with your questions (and see Chris somewhat addressed them below).
Having tasted this wine, I did not find it flabby. I thought there was enough acid to hold it together, even if only barely. This wasn't grape juice or dry Port (like the Aussie Shiraz I had last night).

chrismadrigal

kylemittskus wrote:I appreciate the response. We're a pretty educated group here, if I may say so, and we appreciate candor and participation so thanks for providing both.

Who would you compare your wine to? Turley and Gamba make big, high-octane wines (love both). Carlisle is a little more restrained, but still pretty big (love). Bedrock is out there and they're even more restrained (also love, but not as much as some), but still not to the Ridge level (nothing but love, but very different style). Who's on the field with you guys?

Kylemittsku,

I love the engagement of this group and know that some people are less educated and might be reading this too and want to address all levels of readership. The Zin producers you mention are all great but if I had to group myself it would be with producers that I am compete in buying fruit with. Which would be my friends too…. Storybook (aspire to), Biale and Von Strasser.

We buy fruit from long time friends of the family, such as Saviez Vineyard, Johnson Vineyard, Salisbury Vineyard (please don't poach our contracts they are hard to come by) and our own Estate in Calistoga. As a side note, as Napa becomes more CS, it is harder to find these great varietal and people willing to plant them.

Each vineyard brings their own characteristic but blended in our Napa Valley bottling, you really get a cross section of the north valley Zinfandel.

We are not looking for a fruit bomb but a wine that represents Zinfandel from Napa Valley.

Chris

cortot20

klezman wrote:Agree with your questions (and see Chris somewhat addressed them below).
Having tasted this wine, I did not find it flabby. I thought there was enough acid to hold it together, even if only barely. This wasn't grape juice or dry Port (like the Aussie Shiraz I had last night).

Technically it's all grape juice ;)

CT

losthighwayz

quality posts: 59 Private Messages losthighwayz
chrismadrigal wrote:LostHighWayz,

I want to address that no mega purple was used. That is really for the "big volume" winemakers, we tend to be non-interventionalist in winemaking.

As for "nothing separates it from supermarket wines". I am not going to make a generalization like I did before, but I would say that with purchasing from Madrigal Family Winery, you are purchasing from a small family business that makes their living from growing grapes and making wine and selling to consumers like yourself. Please don't read in it that I don't buy from supermarkets and large brands because I do, but just know that with every purchase you are supporting a family business that you can come visit and I hope that you do.

Chris

Thanks for you participation. I am still learning about wine and all its technical aspects so was curious about mega purple...I am a huge supporter of small family-owned wineries and look forward to future Madrigal offerings!

"The older I get the better I was"

xibbumbero

quality posts: 5 Private Messages xibbumbero

Must have sold out. The site won't let me order....Dang.

justplainjulie

quality posts: 5 Private Messages justplainjulie

Late to the party, but I, too, had the opportunity to taste this very recently.

I love zin and was very excited to taste this. The nose was very nice - immediate hints of raspberry and cherry. I would definitely not put this in the "jammy" class of zin - which is the style I prefer - but I thought it was very approachable and pleasant with nice fruit, softer tannins, and a medium finish. I don't think it has huge QPR at @$20, but you're probably not paying too much, either.

All in all, this was a pleasant zin, definitely on the lighter side.

rjquillin

quality posts: 171 Private Messages rjquillin
xibbumbero wrote:Must have sold out. The site won't let me order....Dang.

Nope, not sold out as of 19:02 PST, adds to cart just fine. You in an unfriendly state?

CT

sdfreedive

quality posts: 24 Private Messages sdfreedive

Man I really like that Gamba juice.

chrismadrigal

losthighwayz wrote:Thanks for you participation. I am still learning about wine and all its technical aspects so was curious about mega purple...I am a huge supporter of small family-owned wineries and look forward to future Madrigal offerings!

LostHighWayz,

Thanks for the support and looking after the smaller artisanal wineries out there.

Chris

chrismadrigal

justplainjulie wrote:Late to the party, but I, too, had the opportunity to taste this very recently.

I love zin and was very excited to taste this. The nose was very nice - immediate hints of raspberry and cherry. I would definitely not put this in the "jammy" class of zin - which is the style I prefer - but I thought it was very approachable and pleasant with nice fruit, softer tannins, and a medium finish. I don't think it has huge QPR at @$20, but you're probably not paying too much, either.

All in all, this was a pleasant zin, definitely on the lighter side.

JustPlainJulie,

Thanks for being fair and understanding that Zinfandel has many taste profiles and preferences.

Chris