quality posts: 1559 Private Messages Cesare

Danube Remix Grüner Veltliner 5-Pack
$59.99 $144.00 58% off List Price
Remix Wines 2010 Grüner Veltliner, "Danube Remix" Edna Valley
CT link above

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

pseudogourmet98

quality posts: 15 Private Messages pseudogourmet98

Very interesting. Just yesterday someone (inFrom??) posted in the pub about a Grüner Veltliner and I was curious about it as I had never heard of Grüner Veltliner. While the description for this particular offer doesn't sound like it is a " classic" Grüner Veltliner, I may have to try this. Anyone get an advance banana from the monkey?

chipgreen

quality posts: 176 Private Messages chipgreen

Grüner Veltliner, FTW!

Didn't know there was any to be had from CA. The ones I've tried have been from Ohio, New York's Finger Lakes and Virginia. I knew it was an Austrian grape and assumed it was only suited for cooler climates.

General characteristics of the Grüner Veltliners I've had; Honeydew/melon and citrus zest palate with spicy white pepper and bright acidity. Very crisp and usually tart. Perfect patio pounders.

chipgreen

pseudogourmet98 wrote:Very interesting. Just yesterday someone (inFrom??) posted in the pub about a Grüner Veltliner and I was curious about it as I had never heard of Grüner Veltliner. While the description for this particular offer doesn't sound like it is a " classic" Grüner Veltliner, I may have to try this. Anyone get an advance banana from the monkey?

Looks like rjquillin has one, hopefully he will report in soon. I went in blind just because I got excited when I saw it was Grüner Veltliner!

RemixWilli

quality posts: 3 Private Messages RemixWilli

Gruner Veltliner is a Sommelier's favorite for a unique wine taste. The banks of the Danube River is where the best Gruner grows in Austria.

wjfreeman

quality posts: 2 Private Messages wjfreeman

Could someone tell me why the state of Georgia has not been listed in the available states to which wine can be shipped for many weeks now?

I understand that each winery must register individually with states and that wine sales are made direct from the winery to each buyer. But what I do not understand is why Georgia has been left off the list of states to which Woot wine is available?

Yes, I have looked at the Free The Grapes website and went back to see if there was some onerous rule change which would have discouraged or prevented Georgia from being represented. However, I did not see anything there that would be a show stopper or indeed that had changed with the coming of the new year.

Anyone else in Georgia frustrated with this? Or anyone at Woot have any comments? Thunderthighs? Ceasare?

chipgreen

wjfreeman wrote:Could someone tell me why the state of Georgia has not been listed in the available states to which wine can be shipped for many weeks now?

HERE is a brief summary.

bigyellowdawgmom

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bigyellowdawgmom

Good reviews from SFGate. Scroll down dor the review.
http://www.sfgate.com/food/article/20-world-class-wines-you-should-know-all-20-or-2353564.php

bigyellowdawgmom

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bigyellowdawgmom
bigyellowdawgmom wrote:Good reviews from SFGate. Scroll down dor the review.
http://www.sfgate.com/food/article/20-world-class-wines-you-should-know-all-20-or-2353564.php

My first wine woot purchase. I hope it's as good as the review says.....

pseudogourmet98

quality posts: 15 Private Messages pseudogourmet98
bigyellowdawgmom wrote:Good reviews from SFGate. Scroll down for the review.

IFTFY

Edit: read that review. While it appears the grapes were sourced from the same vineyard, I'm pretty sure this is a different vintner.

rjquillin

quality posts: 167 Private Messages rjquillin

Looks like the Monkeys got logbook faced and really pon farred the site last night, so here, with a bright bushy tail is what hay must have been drinking…

2010 Danube Remix Edna Valley Grüner Veltliner
No UPC on this one. Small production? Could be interesting.

First off I think I've had some Grüner Veltliner earlier in my life, but can find no record of it, so a few comments will be based on some admittedly fuzzy memories.

Screw top as you can see, no problem here with that at all, so I can't PnP but SnP'd, no, not Green Stamps, at a few degrees C above fridge temperature as supper was in preparation.

A clear pale straw yellow, lacking any hints of green that are sometimes found in less ripe GV's.
A few swirls and thin rapid forming tears appear; sniffs and I'm getting not citrus but stone fruits, nectarine, some spice, minimal if any alcohol, suggest this won't be a lightweight citrus fruit bomb, but may some heft and complexity of riper fruit.

Entry confirms this isn't a citrus bomb. Bright with acid, but thankfully not screaming grapefruit, the nectarine and some white peach are present, with a nice minerality, and spice, a bit of ginger or white pepper. Quite clean and refreshing; should do well with food.

Finish in clean and medium length, no detectable bitterness.

Minimal to no detectable wood makes me think this could have been fermented and aged in stainless, clearly no new barrels here.

I had recalled earlier GV as more akin to those green citrusy grapefruit SB's but I'm not getting that here. As it warms I get a very nice mouth feel, not viscous, but rounder, even suggestions of creaminess, but not at all cloying, and the fruit is still there. This seems to be a ripe fruit but high acid/low pH effort. Hope the winemaker can comment later on on this.

Supper was a non-ideal match, but there really wasn't much choice. Burgers and veggies.
This held up to the burgers, and even more to my surprise did very well with a bit of balsamic over broccoli and asparagus, the latter especially difficult to pair with.
This is clearly a food wine, and an enjoyable one for the warm to hot days we've been having here in SoCal.

Really hoping the winemaker will be around with this offer as he was with his earlier one. I'd like to know a bit more about this bottle. It seems like it hold and perhaps evolve for a few years.
Should be a good qpr in the $12~15 range.

[edit] ..and I have more to hopefully find a better foodie match with today.
And welcome RemixWilli

CT

rjquillin

chipgreen wrote:Looks like rjquillin has one, hopefully he will report in soon. I went in blind just because I got excited when I saw it was Grüner Veltliner!

Posted the TN's blind, as the WW sites were FUBAR last night, now reading comments.
Don't think you'll be disappointed. While it bears some semblance to SB's, it has a nice ripeness and mineral element I found pleasing.
Bracing in acidity, but the fruit balances it nicely.

CT

losthighwayz

quality posts: 58 Private Messages losthighwayz

Having a couple of wooters in a bit to taste and rat on this offer...

"The older I get the better I was"

chipgreen

rjquillin wrote:Posted the TN's blind, as the WW sites were FUBAR last night, now reading comments.
Don't think you'll be disappointed. While it bears some semblance to SB's, it has a nice ripeness and mineral element I found pleasing.
Bracing in acidity, but the fruit balances it nicely.

Thanks for the review, I think SWMBO and myself will both enjoy this GV.

UBlink

quality posts: 18 Private Messages UBlink

A bottle of this showed up at the DFW wine woot dinner last night. On SnP it was pretty closed. At that point it was close to refrigerator temp. The palate was flat, with pineapple being the prominent flavor along with floral notes. At this point it was unremarkable, but I made a point to come back to it later.

That made all the difference. With a little time and a little warmer it was quite enjoyable. The acid balance was much improved and overall it was quite pleasant.

I'm a fan of Austrian Grüner Veltliner, and while this was different, it felt true to the varietal. After reading about the vineyard challenges of this vintage I'd say it's worth a try. Just don't serve it too chilled.

Following the eight word profile, political economy in eight words:
Ain't no free lunch - them what has gets.

klezman

quality posts: 119 Private Messages klezman

About to taste this with merbill, losthiwayz, molarchae, and a few others...notes to come!

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

klezman

I haven't read any of the other notes yet, do this is relatively objective in that sense. I found the nose to be full of flowers and sweet fruit like pineapple, apricot and with some lemon as well. The palate didn't really match that, though, with a more grassy flavor and structure similar to Sauvignon Blanc. I got a lot of lemongrass with a bit of bitterness on the finish, almost like lemon pith.

$12/bottle is a very good price for this, but I would definitely balk at the winery price of $25.

Tired of typing on my Android, do that's it for now!

2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

losthighwayz

Enjoying this with fellow socal wooters...
Nose: aromatic, flowers....nice
Taste: pineapple, touch of apricot, with some lemon rind at the end...very dry and the nose does not match the taste...im a sauv blanc drinker and really like this....a bit of heat

I guessed $18 winery and happy paying $18. Looking at price i am definitely tempted....

rjquillin

Almost sounds like we got different bottles, I'll revisit.
At what temperature you you drinking?

CT

justplainjulie

quality posts: 4 Private Messages justplainjulie

I also had the pleasure of tasting this last night.

This was defnitely one of the "heavier" gruner veltliners I've had. While I do prefer a lighter, brighter version, this was still enjoyable - after we let it warm up a bit.

I got mostly pineapple on the nose, and it paired well with some steamed mussels.

Our group liked it, but we weren't blown away by it. I think for the price offered here, it's a decent deal - especially with the warmer months approaching.

RemixWilli

quality posts: 3 Private Messages RemixWilli

For sure! Not your average Gruner, can pair nicely with rich winter dishes. made a little like a red wine. Perfect with scallops wrapped with bacon or fish with browned butter sauce.

losthighwayz

losthighwayz wrote:Enjoying this with fellow socal wooters...
Nose: aromatic, flowers....nice
Taste: pineapple, touch of apricot, with some lemon rind at the end...very dry and the nose does not match the taste...im a sauv blanc drinker and really like this....a bit of heat

I guessed $18 winery and happy paying $18. Looking at price i am definitely tempted....

Meant $12 im in. My cousin and Swmbo loved it. In for one.

klezman

rjquillin wrote:Almost sounds like we got different bottles, I'll revisit.
At what temperature you you drinking?

I noticed the bitterness more when it was very cold form the fridge. After it warmed up a bit it felt rounder and more balanced, with more tropical fruit. There's plenty of citrus here, but agreed it's not a citrus-bomb.

merbill

quality posts: 29 Private Messages merbill
klezman wrote:I haven't read any of the other notes yet, do this is relatively objective in that sense. I found the nose to be full of flowers and sweet fruit like pineapple, apricot and with some lemon as well. The palate didn't really match that, though, with a more grassy flavor and structure similar to Sauvignon Blanc. I got a lot of lemongrass with a bit of bitterness on the finish, almost like lemon pith.

$12/bottle is a very good price for this, but I would definitely balk at the winery price of $25.

Tired of typing on my Android, do that's it for now!

Klez and I talked before he posted and we have the same general impressions on this. Wonderful floral nose, but on the palate it was nutty with some grass and lemon peel tang and for me, a bit too bitter on the finish. Some loved this, but its not what I like.

Wine Wooters Part Deaux FFL Champion and Monkey Prize recipient
RPM Tour #2 Tourista
Wine Century Club Member #919

aggiechick

quality posts: 5 Private Messages aggiechick

I missed the boat on placing an order for this. Are there any other sites that have this wine?