WootBot


quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Red, White, Pink and Orange

It is my hope that one day we can all judge wine on its pH balance, its alcohol content, its terroir and aroma. But not color! Except sometimes.

Cesare


quality posts: 1617 Private Messages Cesare

Red, White, Pink and Orange

Woot Cellars Pinkie Swear 6-Pack
$59.99 $119.00 50% off List Price
2012 Woot Cellars Pinkie Swear Rosé Wine, Sonoma County

Healdsburg Ranches 2009 North Coast Zinfandel 12-Pack
$99.99 $159.00 37% off List Price
2009 Healdsburg Ranches North Coast Zinfandel

Raised By Wolves Washington Viognier 3-Pack
$39.99 $97.00 59% off List Price
2011 Raised By Wolves Viognier, Wahluke Slope

The Crusher Orange Mix 6-Pack
$59.99 $139.00 57% off List Price
2012 Crusher The Big Orange Chardonnay & Viognier Blend
2012 Crusher The Big Orange Chardonnay
2012 Crusher The Big Orange Viognier

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

chipgreen


quality posts: 187 Private Messages chipgreen

The RBW Viognier is solid. Here are my CT notes; "Pale gold in the glass with just the slightest initial hint of effervescence. Nose of melons, stone fruits, apple, pear and honeysuckle. Full bodied with viscous mouthfeel. Peach, apricot, apple and pear on the palate with a nice acidic bite on the longish finish. Very enjoyable and even better as it warmed to near room temperature. "

losthighwayz


quality posts: 59 Private Messages losthighwayz

can wooters who've had the Pinkie Swear chime in with thoughts/notes? I am looking for a bright and refreshing rose to sip on hot days. Thanks!

"The older I get the better I was"

bsevern


quality posts: 109 Private Messages bsevern

Was thinking the 2009 Healdsburg Ranches North Coast Zinfandel 12-Pack might be a good (read inexpensive) office quaffer, but there's like zero info them.

JenToTheT


quality posts: 1 Private Messages JenToTheT
losthighwayz wrote:can wooters who've had the Pinkie Swear chime in with thoughts/notes? I am looking for a bright and refreshing rose to sip on hot days. Thanks!



I'd really appreciate hearing about this one as well. I'm a little wary of trying one produced directly by Woot, but if it has decent reviews, I might be willing to give it a go.

neilfindswine


quality posts: 170 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

bsevern wrote:Was thinking the 2009 Healdsburg Ranches North Coast Zinfandel 12-Pack might be a good (read inexpensive) office quaffer, but there's like zero info them.



Who quaffs wine in the office? Oh wait... never mind.

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

kylemittskus


quality posts: 230 Private Messages kylemittskus
JenToTheT wrote:I'd really appreciate hearing about this one as well. I'm a little wary of trying one produced directly by Woot, but if it has decent reviews, I might be willing to give it a go.



I haven't had this wine, but woot cellars wines generally drink at or better than their price point.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

cortot20


quality posts: 141 Private Messages cortot20
losthighwayz wrote:can wooters who've had the Pinkie Swear chime in with thoughts/notes? I am looking for a bright and refreshing rose to sip on hot days. Thanks!



Let me drop this here for you.

Enjoyed at slightly above fridge temp after being open for an hour. It's a rose blend of 6 different red grapes so I was unsure of what to expect. Color is ruby with a bit if copper in the edges. It's of medium color depth and clear. The nose was a muted strawberry and I suspected it was the temp. The wine feels young still but I'm not sure how it will age. It's very fresh, light bodied, and dry but comes across as well balanced. As the wine warmed I got some additional flavors primarily raspberry and a slight herbaceousnes. A medium finish with a round note on the tongue. We enjoyed it with ham hoc soup and it seemed to accompany it nicely.

CT

theother1


quality posts: 1 Private Messages theother1

Why, oh why, can I not get The Crusher in GA anymore?!! So very sad...

hasopt


quality posts: 3 Private Messages hasopt

Please, please, please...is there anyone who can provide tasting notes/comparisons of The Crusher Big Orange wines from 2010, 2011, and this current 2012?

I loved the 2010, didn't care for the 2011, and, subsequently, was too gun shy to buy the 2012. I know the winemaker was Michelle McClendon for the 2010, and Gloria Mercado-Martin for the 2011 and 2012. Perhaps I just prefer Ms. McClendon's style? Notes, anyone?

Apathy0


quality posts: 2 Private Messages Apathy0
losthighwayz wrote:can wooters who've had the Pinkie Swear chime in with thoughts/notes? I am looking for a bright and refreshing rose to sip on hot days. Thanks!



I got a 6-pack last time, thinking that they would be nice to have this spring/summer...we have only one bottle left and I am probably in for at least one more, if that man in my house keeps drinking it...

I seriously lack the proper nomenclature to describe wine.
Pinkie Swear is a Very Easy Drinker, not too sweet, and practically screams for a warm day (as most of us are doing now, anyway) and some sun to really shine through.

hope that was not entirely unhelpful

gerryak


quality posts: 0 Private Messages gerryak

Seems like the HR Zin is a frequent offering. Has anyone tried it?

lamcjunk


quality posts: 7 Private Messages lamcjunk

Oh, no! This wine woot side deal is hard on my finances!

Raised By Wolves 2011 Viognier
Nose: onion, nail polish remover, hawthorne.

Palate: sweet corn, creamy pear, very little spicy-ness. Somewhat buttery feel.
short finish, but very tasty

I rated it "love it"

*******************************

Sebastiani / Wilson 2012 Chardonnay / Viognier 50% mix "
The Crusher Orange Mix"
Nose: complex, pineapple, passion fruit, cut grass, hazelnut

Palate: very smooth, with a slight citrus zing. Pinapple, pear, tart grapefruit, thyme, a little pepper.

I rated it "love it"

*******************************

Healdsburg Ranches 2009 Zinfandel (oaked)
Nose: tannins, blackberry, rich oak, mild pepper

Palate: oak, blackberries, coconut, strawberry, cherry, plum, hint of licorice


light and fruity with a bite to it. Strawberry & floral. Vanilla.

I rated it "one of the best"

*******************************

And...we've note had the Pinkie Swear, but we've loved everything from Woot Cellars so far....

Geesh!

edthebedhead


quality posts: 4 Private Messages edthebedhead
kylemittskus wrote:I haven't had this wine, but woot cellars wines generally drink at or better than their price point.



I think usually double.

andrewma


quality posts: 4 Private Messages andrewma

re: zin

for less than $10, i'm willing to give it a shot. if anything, it'll become good sangria. LOL.

skispeakeasy


quality posts: 31 Private Messages skispeakeasy
hasopt wrote:Please, please, please...is there anyone who can provide tasting notes/comparisons of The Crusher Big Orange wines from 2010, 2011, and this current 2012?

I loved the 2010, didn't care for the 2011, and, subsequently, was too gun shy to buy the 2012. I know the winemaker was Michelle McClendon for the 2010, and Gloria Mercado-Martin for the 2011 and 2012. Perhaps I just prefer Ms. McClendon's style? Notes, anyone?



My local grocery store sells The Crusher viongier. I can say from experience that it is the only viongier I have ever tried that I actually liked. The taste is closer to a sauvignon blanc for it's tangy, flavor and subtle sweetness. Unlike a lot of sauv blancs the taste is much more bold and the fruits are pronounced. I never tried the 2010, or the 2011 as I used to live in PA (a quality wine desert) But I can definitely attest to the quality of the 2012 Viognier.

I bought the mixed case from this sale and I will be posting notes about it when the sale comes along again.


Done and done! ;)

greyday


quality posts: 52 Private Messages greyday
JenToTheT wrote:I'd really appreciate hearing about this one as well. I'm a little wary of trying one produced directly by Woot, but if it has decent reviews, I might be willing to give it a go.



Woot wines are basically "licensed" by woot, they're made by popular wine woot vineyards (this one is by Meeker, who are possibly my favorite woot featured winemakers).

This drinks well and is rather comparable to the Pink Elephant rose they released a while back. I personally really loved it, but I'm more on the red side and less on the rose and white side, so take that into consideration. Very fruity and smooth, nicely acidic. I may get another six of these before this sale is over...

lamcjunk


quality posts: 7 Private Messages lamcjunk
skispeakeasy wrote:My local grocery store sells The Crusher viongier. I can say from experience that it is the only viongier I have ever tried that I actually liked. The taste is closer to a sauvignon blanc for it's tangy, flavor and subtle sweetness. Unlike a lot of sauv blancs the taste is much more bold and the fruits are pronounced.



Interesting....I never would have compared it to a Sav Blanc.....except maybe exceptional ones from NZ.

My notes:
nose: mostly minerals, some hazelnut, mild tropical fruit
palate: spicy! Nutmeg, cinnamon, licorice, pepper, grapefruit

Love it!

losthighwayz


quality posts: 59 Private Messages losthighwayz
cortot20 wrote:Let me drop this here for you.

Enjoyed at slightly above fridge temp after being open for an hour. It's a rose blend of 6 different red grapes so I was unsure of what to expect. Color is ruby with a bit if copper in the edges. It's of medium color depth and clear. The nose was a muted strawberry and I suspected it was the temp. The wine feels young still but I'm not sure how it will age. It's very fresh, light bodied, and dry but comes across as well balanced. As the wine warmed I got some additional flavors primarily raspberry and a slight herbaceousnes. A medium finish with a round note on the tongue. We enjoyed it with ham hoc soup and it seemed to accompany it nicely.



Thanks for posting...man, I need to stop checking WW...

"The older I get the better I was"

cortot20


quality posts: 141 Private Messages cortot20

I decided to jump on the pinkie swear again, it'll probably get offered again soon but I liked it enough to enjoy during this warm SoCal winter.

CT

mare0114


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mare0114

Has anybody received a shipment notification yet for the Crusher wine? I ordered this with something else off regular Woot on 1/21 and my order status says shipped but I only received the regular Woot item. I don't want to bother emailing customer service as I have emailed them three times about a corked bottle from another shipment and still no response (3+ weeks later from the original query). A bit ridiculous for customer "service". I don't suppose anyone knows of a number I can call vs. yet another sure to be unanswered email??

bardolator


quality posts: 3 Private Messages bardolator

I ordered the RBW Viognier 1/24 and got a tracking number 1/31....

EDIT: received a response from Rachel. Apparently, it may still be on the way. It seems "shipped" doesn't necessarily mean "really on a vehicle of some sort." Really didn't mean to jump the gun--thanks for continued good customer service, Woot.