CT link above

Winery website

Previous offers:
7/5/11
2/27/12

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon

These are from Santa Clara, CA. I live in Santa Clara and have NO CLUE where the vineyard is. Perhaps a winemaker could fill me in. Local wine would be great!

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
cmaldoon wrote:These are from Santa Clara, CA. I live in Santa Clara and have NO CLUE where the vineyard is. Perhaps a winemaker could fill me in. Local wine would be great!

I see from Cesare's links that these are from the Gilroy/ Morgan hill area. How does the weather there compare to that in napa/Sonoma? How about in comparison to the nearby Santa Cruz mountains? Is this warm climate wine or cool?

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

denismlynch

quality posts: 0 Private Messages denismlynch
cmaldoon wrote:These are from Santa Clara, CA. I live in Santa Clara and have NO CLUE where the vineyard is. Perhaps a winemaker could fill me in. Local wine would be great!

I guess they mean Santa Clara County. Local wine is great in our area, and Jason Stephens makes some. They are in Gilroy - just ask Google.

While you're in that part of the county, make sure to visit Sarah's Vineyard.

And if you haven't discovered the wonders of the nearby Santa Cruz Mountains, check out Ridge Vineyards, Savannah Chanelle, and David Bruce.

And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

lannycohorn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lannycohorn

Jason-Stephens Boureaux style mix = my all time favorite wine purchase from wine woot and no more shipping to Kansas... Sigh. what has this world come to???

denismlynch

quality posts: 0 Private Messages denismlynch
cmaldoon wrote:I see from Cesare's links that these are from the Gilroy/ Morgan hill area. How does the weather there compare to that in napa/Sonoma? How about in comparison to the nearby Santa Cruz mountains? Is this warm climate wine or cool?

Warmer than the Santa Cruz mountains. Warmer than the Carneros part of Napa, but cooler than Calistoga. Some areas get evening ocean breezes and fog, and in general it gets quite cool in the evenings.

twototee

quality posts: 1 Private Messages twototee

Purchased the 07 Merlot and Cab here. Unfortunately I only got one offer and it's all gone. Don't have tasting notes handy but...I remember both needed some time in the decanter. The Merlot started out with a bunch of pepper (green not black) on the nose that seemed to fade a fair amount after decanting. Both really rounded out after some air.
The Merlot was a great food wine. We sipped the Cab (no food) on the first nice cool night of fall with some friends by the campfire. Decanted the first bottle probably an hour and it was great. Decided to open the second bottle and poured through my vino-air and it wasn't as good as decanting (still very good just not as good). Had to slow down and wait for that one to open up a bit.

Overall the 07's were great wines with great QPR at around this price point. Wish I had hung on to a bottle of each or bought two offers so I had some left.

Hope the 08's are as good because I don't think I'll be able to resist.

mjrowe

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mjrowe

Can anyone compare the '08 to the '07? I really enjoyed the '07 previously offered here. Any comparison notes would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

tomthall

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tomthall

Without any listing for it, would anyone care to please hazard a guess as to the alcohol content of these?

ryancorlew

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ryancorlew

I bought their '07 mix back in 2012. Don't have tasting notes. But if I recall, on the nose it had hints of unicorn hair with a touch of rainbows, and on the palate, strong snozberries and effervescent waterfalls.

I am in for one case of 2008.

mdctreeguy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mdctreeguy

Unicorn hair is a deal breaker for me.

cortot20

quality posts: 139 Private Messages cortot20
tomthall wrote:Without any listing for it, would anyone care to please hazard a guess as to the alcohol content of these?

The 07' zin was up at 15.9% and I would guess that these are going to be ripe as well. They should both be in the high 14s to low 15s.
Bevmo offers the Jason Stephens wines and frequently includes the zin (and I'm betting in the others)in the 5 cent sale. So this is a firm pass for me based on personal availability. I did enjoy the 07' zin though.

CT

Perrin13

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Perrin13
lannycohorn wrote:Jason-Stephens Boureaux style mix = my all time favorite wine purchase from wine woot and no more shipping to Kansas... Sigh. what has this world come to???

So I too was all ready to be in for 1, but it shows that it doesn't ship to Kansas. It looks like it is legal to ship to Kansas, but according to ksrevenue.org, "must purchase wine from a winery that holds a valid Kansas Special Order Shipping license."

I guess this means that this winery doesn't have a Special Order Shipping license. And this makes me a sad panda.

edit: Also, thanks a lot Kansas for making it even harder for wineries to get their products to the people who want them.

jasonstephenswinery

quality posts: 25 Private Messages jasonstephenswinery

The vineyard is in the Morgan Hill/Gilroy area on Watsonville Road where Day and Watsonville Road meet. We have a 73 acre property with 45 acres planted with 9 varietals. In Santa Clara Valley we are one of the prominent vineyards and top producing wineries.

jasonstephenswinery

Perrin13 wrote:So I too was all ready to be in for 1, but it shows that it doesn't ship to Kansas. It looks like it is legal to ship to Kansas, but according to ksrevenue.org, "must purchase wine from a winery that holds a valid Kansas Special Order Shipping license."

I guess this means that this winery doesn't have a Special Order Shipping license. And this makes me a sad panda.

edit: Also, thanks a lot Kansas for making it even harder for wineries to get their products to the people who want them.

We are sorry about the inability to ship to Kansas. We are excited that this was your favorite all time wine Woot!

There is an organization called "Free the Grapes" that I suggest everyone sign the petition to "bring down that wall". The wall I am referring to is all of the state lines that legally make it to ship alcohol across. The state laws are old and shouldn't apply to smaller producers (both in wine and beer).

jasonstephenswinery

ryancorlew wrote:I bought their '07 mix back in 2012. Don't have tasting notes. But if I recall, on the nose it had hints of unicorn hair with a touch of rainbows, and on the palate, strong snozberries and effervescent waterfalls.

I am in for one case of 2008.

Best tasting notes ever!!!

jasonstephenswinery

tomthall wrote:Without any listing for it, would anyone care to please hazard a guess as to the alcohol content of these?

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you on this. It has been surprising a little hectic here in NorCal with the water situation. If it wasn't for that it would be perfect with our mid-70s highs and cold nights, while much of the country is in snow and deep freezes. We are super worried about the lack of water given 2013 was the lowest recorded rainfall on record (dating back to the 1880s or sometime around then).

Anyway, the Alc on the Merlot is 14.25% and the Cab is 14.8%

tomthall

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tomthall
jasonstephenswinery wrote:Sorry for the delay in getting back to you on this. It has been surprising a little hectic here in NorCal with the water situation. If it wasn't for that it would be perfect with our mid-70s highs and cold nights, while much of the country is in snow and deep freezes. We are super worried about the lack of water given 2013 was the lowest recorded rainfall on record (dating back to the 1880s or sometime around then).

Anyway, the Alc on the Merlot is 14.25% and the Cab is 14.8%

In for one. Thanks!

jasonstephenswinery

cmaldoon wrote:I see from Cesare's links that these are from the Gilroy/ Morgan hill area. How does the weather there compare to that in napa/Sonoma? How about in comparison to the nearby Santa Cruz mountains? Is this warm climate wine or cool?

With this question I always like to point out the great differences in weather within the regions mentioned because it makes it easier to understand that grapes are very site specific. So now I can generalize that our vineyard is warmer than most in the Santa Cruz Mountains, probably close to a couple degrees warmer than the average in Napa, warmer than most in Sonoma all depending on the day and the year. We are about 13 miles away from the upper portion of Monterey Bay (due west is basically Santa Cruz), but with a mountain range and two very large hills, we get insulated from the daytime cools and fog and the Morgan Hill/Gilroy Valley to the east heats us up during the day. Historically we see the fog in the summer burn off during early morning hours. The last few years morning fog really has been to frequent along with the lack of extreme heat days.

jasonstephenswinery

mjrowe wrote:Can anyone compare the '08 to the '07? I really enjoyed the '07 previously offered here. Any comparison notes would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

As the winemaker, so I am of course biased, but i think (and sales seem to prove this) that my wines are getting better each vintage. 2006 was my first "professional" vintage. 2008 was particularly good because of the lower yields in the vineyard because of a May 2008 frost.

If you liked 2007, 2008 will not disappoint. At these prices and this quality, I think the vast majority of true wine drinkers would fined this an amazing buy!

jasonstephenswinery

twototee wrote:Purchased the 07 Merlot and Cab here. Unfortunately I only got one offer and it's all gone. Don't have tasting notes handy but...I remember both needed some time in the decanter. The Merlot started out with a bunch of pepper (green not black) on the nose that seemed to fade a fair amount after decanting. Both really rounded out after some air.
The Merlot was a great food wine. We sipped the Cab (no food) on the first nice cool night of fall with some friends by the campfire. Decanted the first bottle probably an hour and it was great. Decided to open the second bottle and poured through my vino-air and it wasn't as good as decanting (still very good just not as good). Had to slow down and wait for that one to open up a bit.

Overall the 07's were great wines with great QPR at around this price point. Wish I had hung on to a bottle of each or bought two offers so I had some left.

Hope the 08's are as good because I don't think I'll be able to resist.

I appreciate you sharing your notes. We do make wines that are with structure: balanced acid, good fruit (so you know what the wine was made of), baseline oak (nothing worse than an overoaked with that tastes like oak and nothing like what the wine was derived from!), and strong, yet smooth tannins.

I never recommend the super fast aerators. Part of the enjoyment of wine is trying the wines as the wines open up as they become different wines after hours or days (not too many) pass. The aerators seems to bypass many of those stages, sometimes destroying an otherwise excellent wine.

jasonstephenswinery

cortot20 wrote:The 07' zin was up at 15.9% and I would guess that these are going to be ripe as well. They should both be in the high 14s to low 15s.
Bevmo offers the Jason Stephens wines and frequently includes the zin (and I'm betting in the others)in the 5 cent sale. So this is a firm pass for me based on personal availability. I did enjoy the 07' zin though.

You are probably referring to the 2008 Zin since we didn't produce a 2007 Zin. In California, BevMo has a couple of the wines in stock.

jasonstephenswinery

inod3 wrote:I've really enjoyed the Jason-Stephens I've bought here in the past.

http://wine.woot.com/Forums/ViewPost.aspx?PostID=4539835
http://wine.woot.com/Forums/ViewPost.aspx?PostID=4885309
http://wine.woot.com/Forums/ViewPost.aspx?PostID=4989385

Thank you! We think this is a great buy given what we sell these for in the tasting room and at restaurants. We are growing rapidly so hopefully you will find these in your local shops and restaurants soon!

jasonstephenswinery

denismlynch wrote:I guess they mean Santa Clara County. Local wine is great in our area, and Jason Stephens makes some. They are in Gilroy - just ask Google.

While you're in that part of the county, make sure to visit Sarah's Vineyard.

And if you haven't discovered the wonders of the nearby Santa Cruz Mountains, check out Ridge Vineyards, Savannah Chanelle, and David Bruce.

And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

The region is full of wines, from Monterey, San Benito, Santa Cruz Mountains, and Santa Clara Valley. In all there are easily 300+ wineries to enjoy in these nearby regions.

In this major drought we are having, please save water by drinking wine!

jasonstephenswinery

mdctreeguy wrote:Unicorn hair is a deal breaker for me.

I am not scared. That might be just the magical thing I have been waiting to taste!

jasonstephenswinery

First, thanks for all of those who have already purchased these fine wines. We think this is a great deal for those purchasing. We did this offer to expose ourselves to more and more people, which is why you are saving so much today through winewoot! If you have not already done so please take advantage of this deal as it may not happen again.

Jason-Stephens is expanding rapidly, so we hope to be in stores or restaurants in your area soon. Last year we added more than 30 new individual state distributors (we have our wines in 34 states now) who represent our wines to restaurants and other wine buyers. When many brands are getting dropped by distributors we continue to increase our distribution. Without a doubt this is only possible with the great pricing and quality of the wines that far surpass the price.

With the 2013-2014 drought in full swing, there is no better way to save water than by drinking wine (this is the opinion of the winemaker and does not reflect the opinions of this station, woot, and certainly doesn't come recommended by any legal counsel).

Please enjoy!

Brandyberry

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Brandyberry
jasonstephenswinery wrote:We are sorry about the inability to ship to Kansas. We are excited that this was your favorite all time wine Woot!

There is an organization called "Free the Grapes" that I suggest everyone sign the petition to "bring down that wall". The wall I am referring to is all of the state lines that legally make it to ship alcohol across. The state laws are old and shouldn't apply to smaller producers (both in wine and beer).

But I have purchased A LOT of wine from winewoot in the past that was shipped to Kansas. What has changed RECENTLY that has suddenly stopped the shipments?

dlschier

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dlschier
Brandyberry wrote:But I have purchased A LOT of wine from winewoot in the past that was shipped to Kansas. What has changed RECENTLY that has suddenly stopped the shipments?

This

cortot20

quality posts: 139 Private Messages cortot20
jasonstephenswinery wrote:You are probably referring to the 2008 Zin since we didn't produce a 2007 Zin. In California, BevMo has a couple of the wines in stock.

Yes, double checking it was an 08'.

CT

rmt0512

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rmt0512

I purchased the mixed reds 4-pack of Cab/Merlot both times its been up, as well as the 08 zin. They were all very good.

In for 2
(first time ever being in for more than 1)

neilfindswine

quality posts: 170 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

jasonstephenswinery wrote:
With the 2013-2014 drought in full swing, there is no better way to save water than by drinking wine (this is the opinion of the winemaker and does not reflect the opinions of this station, woot, and certainly doesn't come recommended by any legal counsel).

Please enjoy!

...this does actually reflect my opinion, but the other stuff he said is true...

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

johnfflynn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages johnfflynn

Arghhh... No shipping to Georgia. Missed yesterday's Ardente and now this awesome JS offering! Loved the 2007 Jason-Stephens Cab but sadly that case was finished at Christmas dinner. Bummed I can't get this!

jasonstephenswinery

rmt0512 wrote:I purchased the mixed reds 4-pack of Cab/Merlot both times its been up, as well as the 08 zin. They were all very good.

In for 2
(first time ever being in for more than 1)

Great time to double down!

jasonstephenswinery

johnfflynn wrote:Arghhh... No shipping to Georgia. Missed yesterday's Ardente and now this awesome JS offering! Loved the 2007 Jason-Stephens Cab but sadly that case was finished at Christmas dinner. Bummed I can't get this!

Feel free to contact the winery at info@jstephens.com for the possibility of offering this through the winery.

hokienutzz

quality posts: 2 Private Messages hokienutzz
jasonstephenswinery wrote:Feel free to contact the winery at info@jstephens.com for the possibility of offering this through the winery.

Yeah, I recently crossed the Potomac to VA, and the one regret is not having WINE WOOT.

Whoever can get this deal should. The last JS wine I purchased from here was kickass!

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 35 Private Messages fredrinaldi

still have me some 07's but couldn't pass on this juice. in for 1

slm9951

quality posts: 14 Private Messages slm9951

Is there and residual garlic in the soil of your vineyards??!!!

jasonstephenswinery

slm9951 wrote:Is there and residual garlic in the soil of your vineyards??!!!

Funny! No garlic in these wines! Not even a hint!