Il Donato Vino Rosso Case
$94.99 $151.00 37% off List Price
2011 Il Donato Vino Rosso
CT link above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

lwmcdave

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lwmcdave

More specs would be appreciated. RS, etc.

confusedemmy

quality posts: 22 Private Messages confusedemmy
lwmcdave wrote:More specs would be appreciated. RS, etc.

I agree we need some specs - although I expect there to be no RS, I myself would like to know the ETOH and aging technique.

confusedemmy

quality posts: 22 Private Messages confusedemmy

Some reviews on Vivino, link below. Oddly enough, it is listed there as Nebbiolo, but Mark's voicemail says it is 85% Primitivo and 15% Sangiovese. Cesare's CT link offers much better tasting notes. I'd like to see some tasting notes here, too. Someone out there has to have tasted this!!

That blending info from the VM might be nice to have on the specs page...

http://www.vivino.com/don-sebastiani-and-sons/il-donato-vino-rosso-2011.html

sulakdd

quality posts: 12 Private Messages sulakdd

Since this is for a whole case, any idea on drinking window? Drink now, another year, two?

gdstuart

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gdstuart

Another situation where NJ is not on the permitted list. How come? ShipCompliant has all the blog posts about NJ permitting in-ships. I buy plenty of Cameron Hughes wine and they ship here with no problems. Why do all of the Woot wines I've tried to buy exclude NJ from the ship-to lists???

kaolis

quality posts: 27 Private Messages kaolis

Found this on a website named wineoutlet.com which is offering the wine:

Technical notes
85% Primitivo 15% Sangiovese APPELLATION IGT Puglia VINTAGE 2011 WINEMAKER Greg Kitchens ALCOHOL 13.0% PH 3.66 TA 6.0 g/L RS 2.1 g/L

Don't how accurate it is.. ???

http://www.wineoutlet.com/vsku1793585.html

Winedavid39

quality posts: 202 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

very good QPR here. pop (unscrew) and pour. a good way to notch up your every day red IMO from a trusted source (Don and Sons)

rjquillin

quality posts: 174 Private Messages rjquillin

Don't need/want a full case, but would like to sample. 3 or 4 way SoCal split?

CT

chipgreen

quality posts: 189 Private Messages chipgreen
gdstuart wrote:Another situation where NJ is not on the permitted list. How come? ShipCompliant has all the blog posts about NJ permitting in-ships. I buy plenty of Cameron Hughes wine and they ship here with no problems. Why do all of the Woot wines I've tried to buy exclude NJ from the ship-to lists???

NJ has been off the list for several months. Woot has been tight-lipped about it other than to say that they are working on adding more states back (around 18-20 were eliminated in one fell swoop but 5-6 have been restored since then). The best thing you can do is keep checking back every once in awhile.

sphervey

quality posts: 39 Private Messages sphervey

I hope this helps:

The actual website link is:

http://ildonato.com/wine-vino-rosso.html

The notes under features on Woot are from that page. Here's what I found about the grapes:

Primitivo - A red grape planted found in southern Italy, most notably in Puglia. Primitivo is robust and rustic, with spicy black fruit notes, and thrives in very warm climates, where it can achieve very high alcohol levels.

This is the composition of the wine from the producer:

Varietal
Vino Rosso
85% Primitivo
15% Sangiovese
Appellation
IGT Puglia
VINTAGE
Winemaker
Greg Kitchens
ALCOHOL
13.0%
PH
TA
6.0 g/L

bskuared

quality posts: 11 Private Messages bskuared
rjquillin wrote:Don't need/want a full case, but would like to sample. 3 or 4 way SoCal split?

I'd be in for that.... Orange County here.

food. italy. food. italy. wine. books. travel. food. genealogy. food. wine. italy. food. get. the. idea?

San Clemente · http://www.italyandme.com

losthighwayz

quality posts: 59 Private Messages losthighwayz
sphervey wrote:I hope this helps:

The actual website link is:

http://ildonato.com/wine-vino-rosso.html

The notes under features on Woot are from that page. Here's what I found about the grapes:

Primitivo - A red grape planted found in southern Italy, most notably in Puglia. Primitivo is robust and rustic, with spicy black fruit notes, and thrives in very warm climates, where it can achieve very high alcohol levels.

This is the composition of the wine from the producer:

Varietal
Vino Rosso
85% Primitivo
15% Sangiovese
Appellation
IGT Puglia
VINTAGE
Winemaker
Greg Kitchens
ALCOHOL
13.0%
PH
TA
6.0 g/L

PH seems too low for my taste...Ive developed a preference for zippiness in reds lately...otherwise, looks
Like a great wine at a Great price...

Edit: thanks for posting the specs!

"The older I get the better I was"

rjquillin

bskuared wrote:I'd be in for that.... Orange County here.

Lost lost interest; I'm surprised. pH looks to be in a decent range, but RS may suggest a sweeter finish.
Sparky, Klez; any interest?

CT

alphabasic

quality posts: 4 Private Messages alphabasic

This stuff is a bit less appealing than Barefoot in my opinion, and can be had for $5 a bottle if you catch it on sale.

InFrom

quality posts: 31 Private Messages InFrom
alphabasic wrote:This stuff is a bit less appealing than Barefoot in my opinion, and can be had for $5 a bottle if you catch it on sale.

Is your opinion based on tasting it? If so, please make free with the comments, as I am considering picking up a case and would appreciate someone posting first-hand comments here. Or if not, what is the basis for your opinion?

InFrom

losthighwayz wrote:PH seems too low for my taste...Ive developed a preference for zippiness in reds lately...otherwise, looks

Did you check out the CT link? Klez reviewed it, he specifically uses the word "zippiness" in his description. Not sure if that's enough to get me off the fence, given the overall review, but I'm still mulling it over. Primitivo/Sangiovese does sound nice.

lamcjunk

quality posts: 7 Private Messages lamcjunk

We've loved everything from this winery, so in for a case to try this blend.

But....anything from the winery on the drinking window?

rjquillin

losthighwayz wrote:PH seems too low for my taste...Ive developed a preference for zippiness in reds lately...otherwise, looks

To low? Lower (numbers) is more acid/zip.
Anyway, Kyle would take a couple, sounds like bskuared is good for some, I'd take two or three. We're close to a case @ $9/btl delivered.

CT

losthighwayz

InFrom wrote:Did you check out the CT link? Klez reviewed it, he specifically uses the word "zippiness" in his description. Not sure if that's enough to get me off the fence, given the overall review, but I'm still mulling it over. Primitivo/Sangiovese does sound nice.

Well, when compared to wines I enjoy that are in the 3.4-3.6 range seems high. Then again, I am not an expert and there is a lot to be said for the other specs and how they come together to balance a wine of which I am LESS of an expert! Lol I trust Klez' palate so I am sure the acidity is there...

losthighwayz

[quote postid="5668566" user="rjquillin"]To low? Lower (numbers) is more acid/zip.
Anyway, Kyle would take a couple, sounds like bskuared is good for some, I'd take two or three. We're close to a case @ $9/btl

I'm only making an educated guess since I've noticed many of the whites I enjoy tend to be 3.4-3.6 or so in PH. Maybe its different for reds? Anyway, I'll take 3 but cannot place the order since am serious about buying a new home by June and must keep cc at zero.

rjquillin

bskuared wrote:I'd be in for that.... Orange County here.

PM for ya.

CT

RichardCarver

quality posts: 3 Private Messages RichardCarver

Damn, just got a mouthful of sediment. Nice table wine, wasn't expecting much but what's up with the little rocks?

InFrom

RichardCarver wrote:Damn, just got a mouthful of sediment. Nice table wine, wasn't expecting much but what's up with the little rocks?

Thanks for the heads-up, I haven't poured any yet.

What kind of rocks? Like little crystals, or what?