WineSmith Lodi Cabernet Sauvignon 3-Pack
$69.99 $133.00 47% off List Price
2006 Winesmith Cabernet Sauvignon Lodi, Mokelumne River
CT link above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

sdfreedive

quality posts: 25 Private Messages sdfreedive

Loved the Crucible. How does this compare? I note you use this in it but obviously this isn't all the Crucible.

winesmith

quality posts: 49 Private Messages winesmith

Hi gang. Good to be back among folks who get what I am up to. I do hope that those of you who have already appreciated this wine will chime in with your views.

This is a righteous Cab, made the way Cab should be made and once was. Call it the Once-And-Future-King. This grape received its coronation as the king of the noble varietals not because of its size but because of its ability to carry nuanced pathos, a Beethoven symphony in a bottle. But greatness takes time. In our busy society, we need to make time, to slow down, to appreciate the value of patience. Here is one compelling case for taking your time.

Now that holiday madness is done and we have some contemplative time to consider life’s larger issues, I picked this wine to show off a few postmodern principles worth discussing. In the next 24 hours we will talk about graceful longevity, structure, aromatic integration, oxygenation as a tool, proper ripeness, the value of old barrels, and the potential for under-regarded regions to produce greatness.

Although this wine was 78 months in oak, only bottled last summer, it is by no means oaky or tired. It is still grippy in its tannins and full of life – fruit centered rather than fruit forward. What has emerged is so rarely seen: fully developed bouquet of tobacco, cedar, herbs and leather.

I'm here to answer any questions. Let's party.

rjquillin

quality posts: 174 Private Messages rjquillin

and still the same price.
damn you Clark, now you're gonna make me drink one to see how many more I need...
Aren't we still killing babies here?
How long do you think this will continue to improve?

CT

winesmith

sdfreedive wrote:Loved the Crucible. How does this compare? I note you use this in it but obviously this isn't all the Crucible.

I call this little Crucible. It is not as dense, but more developed. The '05 Crucible is on a very long trajectory, 20 to 40 years more (depending on the quality of the cellar), during which it will develop unbelievable nuance and character. Right now, its appeal is its massive understatement – more like the Grand Canyon than Mount Fuji. It sucks you in with its divine absence.

I would estimate that within Bordeaux, Crucible is most like Pauillac, specifically Ch. Latour. Very dense, somewhat hard, and very clean, with blueberry/blackberry/cassis fruit and tar. I tried to center the Lodi Cab this way, and I got close, but there was always a bit more olive, which now has morphed into a very complex bouquet which reminds me more of Margaux, specifically Ch. Palmer, than Paullac. I don’t mean microbial funk – the wine is incredibly clean – but has a lot of earthy nuances which evoke aged Romano, porcini, and seaweed.

I am making a bigger deal of this than is correct. The two wines are very similar. For those of you old enough to remember Wagon Train, one could say that Crucible is Ward Bond, the solid leader, and this wine is Clint Eastwood, who scouted the road ahead.

More to the point, it's cheap enough to actually drink. A lot!

cortot20

quality posts: 145 Private Messages cortot20
winesmith wrote:Hi gang. Good to be back among folks who get what I am up to. I do hope that those of you who have already appreciated this wine will chime in with your views.

This is a righteous Cab, made the way Cab should be made and once was. Call it the Once-And-Future-King. This grape received its coronation as the king of the noble varietals not because of its size but because of its ability to carry nuanced pathos, a Beethoven symphony in a bottle. But greatness takes time. In our busy society, we need to make time, to slow down, to appreciate the value of patience. Here is one compelling case for taking your time.

Now that holiday madness is done and we have some contemplative time to consider life’s larger issues, I picked this wine to show off a few postmodern principles worth discussing. In the next 24 hours we will talk about graceful longevity, structure, aromatic integration, oxygenation as a tool, proper ripeness, the value of old barrels, and the potential for under-regarded regions to produce greatness.

Although this wine was 78 months in oak, only bottled last summer, it is by no means oaky or tired. It is still grippy in its tannins and full of life – fruit centered rather than fruit forward. What has emerged is so rarely seen: fully developed bouquet of tobacco, cedar, herbs and leather.

I'm here to answer any questions. Let's party.

The wine sat in barrels 6.5 years, which is very uncommon in Cali winemaking. What would you say was the reasoning behind that decision? Also, can you speak to this wines dumb phase. I have heard anywhere from 8-10 years from vintage for well made age worthy Cabernet is typical.

CT

ego48

quality posts: 5 Private Messages ego48

Mr. Smith,

thank you for both the offer and your participation in the discussion.

I've enjoyed your wines immensely. This wine sounds right up my street (yes i'm old enough, and while i'd prefer bond, eastwood is one i'd turn into my frequent drinker).

While i'd be in for 3 (or more if possible;-), my address in Georgia prohibits my participation.

Good luck on the offering, and to all on the fence: order! you won't be disappointed.

winesmith

rjquillin wrote:and still the same price.
damn you Clark, now you're gonna make me drink one to see how many more I need...
Aren't we still killing babies here?
How long do you think this will continue to improve?

Get out the corkscrew, Ron. We need some testimony. Daddy needs some new shoes, buddy.

I think this wine is (finally) drinking extremely well, delivering the complex aromatics one hopes for from a well-aged wine. On the other hand, it is still fresh and mildly aggressive in its tannins. So I think at this point, it's a personal preference deal.

I suppose most contemporary winelovers are used to Cabs that are young, and they like a bit of grip. For them, I see no need for further ageing. Hey, you've get those complex funky aromatics. Game over, right?

For me, a well constructed wine is like a sailing ship -- a voyage of discovery. I gotta know where it will take me. This is a young wine, and I do hope some of you will take it as far as it can go and get back to me on your journey. For that, you need to try a bottle every few years.

So I assume your question is: "how long will this wine hold up in a good cellar?" I think it is slightly before middle-aged, maybe 40% along its journey. It's seven years old now, so I'd confidently give it another ten.

trifecta

quality posts: 72 Private Messages trifecta

Clark,

Great to have you back on woot. Always a learning experience! What is your recommended decanting time for this wine at present? Slow ox for a day? 3 hours in decanter?

Also, will you be at Dark and Delicious again this year?

winesmith

cortot20 wrote:The wine sat in barrels 6.5 years, which is very uncommon in Cali winemaking. What would you say was the reasoning behind that decision? Also, can you speak to this wines dumb phase. I have heard anywhere from 8-10 years from vintage for well made age worthy Cabernet is typical.

Hey, there is no typical in Cali winemaking, least of all with me. The point of WineSmith is to explore Eurocentric possibilities for California fruit. I tasted Dave Stare of Dry Creek on my ten-year-old Chablis-style Chardonnay a asked him what vintage it was – He guessed 2010, a good guess, but it’s actually a 2003. I live for those moments.

It is extremely expensive to hold wines this long, so nobody does it. Novice wine drinkers want obvious wines anyhow, so the popular wines, like popular music, appeal to very simple basic aesthetics. I hang around with wooters because they've been around awhile and have a deeper appreciation of what wine can really offer.

Also hard to speak of what is typical in Cabernet Sauvignon. First of all let’s restrict our conversation to where it grows well: Haut Medoc, Napa Valley, East side Paso Robles, Margaret River, New Jersey Outer Coastal Plain -- places like that. Then we have to rule out all the big tit wines which employ log hangtime to impress rich fools with impact, because those wines don’t age worth a damn.

Okay. Serious regions, serious winemakers, good vintages, classic styles, and conventional methodology. These wines will be released 18 months to 3 years after vinification and will go through a dumb, hard phase until they are 5 to ten years old and last another decade or two in good conditions..

The game changer is oxygenation. This is very counter-intuitive. Most folks think, logically enough, that oxygen is an oxidizing agent. But it turns out that wine acts like a living organism, and if you challenge it with oxygen early in its youth, it responds by becoming more anti-oxidative and ageworthy.

Weird, huh? So this wine was challenged in its first month with about 60 times what a barrel could give it, with the result that its barrel ageing potential was expanded by a factor of three. The result was that at three years, the wine was still closed and simple, with hard tannins and little aromatic development. I bottled it anyhow – I needed the money. But I reserved six barrels and rode it out, finally bottling last August. The result is quite miraculous.

chipgreen

quality posts: 189 Private Messages chipgreen

I drank a bottle of Clark's 2006 Lodi Cab Sauv three months ago. PnP through the aerator on day 1, it really needed more air. Sipped it slowly over a couple hours but it was pretty closed. Skipped a day and finished the bottle on day 3 (stored using Vacu-Vin), where it was still a bit tight but much more approachable than before. It probably would have been perfect by day 5 or 6. That indicates to me that this wine still has a long life ahead of it. Clark's wines are built to age and this is no exception. I would recommend decanting this wine for several hours to really do it justice.

Since Clark is an expert on pairing music with wine, my CT review for his Lodi Cab reads simply, "Meaty, Beaty, Big and Bouncy". I think it's an apt description of a big, bold Cab with lots of fruit, spice, oak and tannins. Lots to love about this wine, including the fact that it takes some coaxing to bring out its best qualities.

I tasted the Crucible Cab a couple months before drinking the Lodi Cab so cannot make a direct comparison but they did seem fairly similar. I remember the Crucible having a little more fruit and finer grained tannins. The Lodi Cab is a little more rustic. Some of that will smooth out over the next few years but it will probably never quite reach the Crucible's level of refinement. Still, it offers an "almost Crucible" experience at a fraction of the cost, making it a no-brainer for anyone who likes big, bold Cabs. I'm looking at you, Fred!

EDIT: Where IS Fred, anyway? Haven't seen him around lately....

chipgreen

quality posts: 189 Private Messages chipgreen

I was planning to sit on my remaining two bottles of this wine for a couple years to allow for additional aging but in support of Clark's efforts and my increased ability to enjoy this wine as it evolves over the next decade, I'm in for another set!

Speed to first woot: 4m 31.221s
First sucker:sdfreedive
Last wooter to woot:chipgreen
Last purchase:a few seconds ago

winesmith

ego48 wrote:Mr. Smith,

thank you for both the offer and your participation in the discussion.

I've enjoyed your wines immensely. This wine sounds right up my street (yes i'm old enough, and while i'd prefer bond, eastwood is one i'd turn into my frequent drinker).

While i'd be in for 3 (or more if possible;-), my address in Georgia prohibits my participation.

Good luck on the offering, and to all on the fence: order! you won't be disappointed.

IMHO, consumers are being ripped off by corporate fat cats and it is toxic to the 99% of wineries who lack the clout to get into national distribution.

Wine.woot is mounting an heroic effort to change this, but they are also too big to take chances. God bless them, When they cannot stick their necks out in a particular State, they have been wonderfully gracious in allowing us to work the problem.

I will have my colleague contact you and see what can be arranged. In the meantime, I recommend you start letting the air out of the tires of the distributor-funded lobbyists and their toadies in your State legislature. If enough of us end up in jail, the world can change very rapidly.

It has already been determined that the Interstate Commerce Clause forbids barriers to direct shipping (unless the State imposes them on its own wineries, which none do). What is needed is for the Supreme Court to solidify these rights for retailers as well as they already have for wineries. The reason this is critical is that wineries cannot afford the licenses which have been installed, any more that every box of Cheerios should be required as separate license.

Consumers need to get smart and get mad. You are being screwed. The irony is that distributors would profit from the expanded awareness of wine, and will always.be more efficient, but they just can’t see it.

Nothing would give me greater pleasure than a nice jail sentence for this unconstitutional crime. If you want my wine, call me.

winesmith

trifecta wrote:Clark,

Great to have you back on woot. Always a learning experience! What is your recommended decanting time for this wine at present? Slow ox for a day? 3 hours in decanter?

I just popped a bottle and it seems to be drinking great right from the get go. A few hours in the decanter will probably enhance it a bit. I know its trajectory is days, not hours, so I'll report tomorrow, but I'm not expecting a great unfolding. I think it's probably fine to just open it and drink it.

winesmith

trifecta wrote:Clark,

Also, will you be at Dark and Delicious again this year?

Alas, I cannot make Dark And Delicious this year. The great news is that Jake Stephens is releasing a new label: Two Jakes of Diamonds. We won't ave our labels in time for D&D, which is hands down the best event of the year.

But in coming years, we shall rule as in bygone days. My Roman Reserve Cabernet Franc is a serious game changer for the whole industry.

Meantime, ye wooters, let's organize a party at my place or your place where I can show your wines to come, strum my guitar and sing my songs of the real wine industry. What say?

mikefaulk

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mikefaulk
winesmith wrote:IMHO, consumers are being ripped off by corporate fat cats and it is toxic to the 99% of wineries who lack the clout to get into national distribution.

Wine.woot is mounting an heroic effort to change this, but they are also too big to take chances. God bless them, When they cannot stick their necks out in a particular State, they have been wonderfully gracious in allowing us to work the problem.

I will have my colleague contact you and see what can be arranged. In the meantime, I recommend you start letting the air out of the tires of the distributor-funded lobbyists and their toadies in your State legislature. If enough of us end up in jail, the world can change very rapidly.

It has already been determined that the Interstate Commerce Clause forbids barriers to direct shipping (unless the State imposes them on its own wineries, which none do). What is needed is for the Supreme Court to solidify these rights for retailers as well as they already have for wineries. The reason this is critical is that wineries cannot afford the licenses which have been installed, any more that every box of Cheerios should be required as separate license.

Consumers need to get smart and get mad. You are being screwed. The irony is that distributors would profit from the expanded awareness of wine, and will always.be more efficient, but they just can’t see it.

Nothing would give me greater pleasure than a nice jail sentence for this unconstitutional crime. If you want my wine, call me.

Hello everyone!!! Mike Faulk here, Clark's wine making sidekick and the guy who will be bailing him out of jail. Anyone interested in getting your hands on some of WineSmith's awesome wines PM me. We usually find a way to work things out... Even if it means bailing Clark out of Jail :-) Live Free or Die New Hampshire!!!!

OCyuppie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages OCyuppie
winesmith wrote:But I reserved six barrels and rode it out, finally bottling last August. The result is quite miraculous.

How many bottles do six barrels make? I see that this deal has been offered on wine.woot at least twice earlier in 2013, each time with favorable comments. Based on that, in for one.

Woot has been offering some relatively older cabs; I just received my 2006 Robert Nenow three pack this past Saturday, but have not had any yet. Just as I was thinking that it was not possible to buy older cabs at a good price ... two 3-pack deals almost in a row.

winesmith

OCyuppie wrote:How many bottles do six barrels make? I see that this deal has been offered on wine.woot at least twice earlier in 2013, each time with favorable comments.

You sure know how to data-mine this website smarter than I can.

A barrel holds 225 liters, or about 24 12-bottle cases, so these six barrels gave us 142 cases, about 1700 bottles.

We showed this wine as part of a WineSmith woot-plus with five other products in September, and did very well in this minor league venue, selling 18 units of three bottles. The main benefit is that now there are some wooters out there hording a stash of this wine, and we need them to check out the merchandise for us.

Then in December, woot asked me to give them something for their holiday madness deal and I said OK because I didn't think this wine had gotten the play it deserved. Thing was, it ended up showing for one hour at 2AM to 3AM, still selling 13 units, a pretty impressive performance in the circumstances considering you turkeys only came up with 8 sales in tonight's first hour.

This is our first time showing this wine in woot's major leagues.

So work with me. I only show up here and cut my price because it's efficient. You guys get me. You inquire, I take my clothes off on the technical side, and you receive some straight answers instead of the "I do the minimum" BS.

When you respond with clicking the Buy button, it makes the relationship work in several ways. I get to justify my time and the deep discounts because our growing bond of trust makes for efficient commerce. Once you taste the wine, you become a third party verifier for your community to verify (or debunk) that the wines are as I (often outrageously) claim. And most important, our discussions about enlightened postmodern winemaking enlarge the possibility for other winemakers to make commercially viable classic styles that you love and can't find on the retail shelf.

Woot has taken us into 27 States. I see you not as customers but as wine community leaders. Chip Green was wonderful in welcoming me this summer to north Ohio where I poured Crucible and unslung my guitar. To you in other parts of the country, I hope we can together manufacture excuses for great parties of that nature.

winesmith

OCyuppie wrote:
Woot has been offering some relatively older cabs; I just received my 2006 Robert Nenow three pack this past Saturday, but have not had any yet. Just as I was thinking that it was not possible to buy older cabs at a good price ... two 3-pack deals almost in a row.

I wouldn't get complacent. I'm astonished that another mature Cab offering has surfaced. Count your blessings.

rwguessjr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rwguessjr

hello mr clark.

i normally dont drink alcohol. my 44th birthday is coming up so i decided to get your wine based on the above comments i have read. i wanted something special and i hope that this will do it. i have no experience with wine but i find from time to time i do like it. having said that what do you reccomend i do with it. planned to drink one bottle and save the other two for long term. i dont understand this bit about opening it and waiting why, how long. and if you were going to drink a bottle for your birthday dinner what would you have with it to make it special? a steak?

i sincerly appriciate your time in answering this and look forward to recieving your wine in lousiana.

and your bottles will be the start of my small wine collection in my home. is there any special thing to storing it? standing up on its side etc...

thanks so much and have a happy new year....

robert in louisiana.

OCyuppie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages OCyuppie
winesmith wrote:I wouldn't get complacent. I'm astonished that another mature Cab offering has surfaced. Count your blessings.

I am counting my blessings; woot.wine offers some great wines that I otherwise may never get to try.

winesmith

rwguessjr wrote:hello mr clark.

i normally dont drink alcohol. my 44th birthday is coming up so i decided to get your wine based on the above comments i have read. i wanted something special and i hope that this will do it. i have no experience with wine but i find from time to time i do like it. having said that what do you reccomend i do with it. planned to drink one bottle and save the other two for long term. i dont understand this bit about opening it and waiting why, how long. and if you were going to drink a bottle for your birthday dinner what would you have with it to make it special? a steak?

i sincerely appreciate your time in answering this and look forward to receiving your wine in Louisiana.

and your bottles will be the start of my small wine collection in my home. is there any special thing to storing it? standing up on its side etc...

thanks so much and have a happy new year....

robert in louisiana.

This is an awesome responsibility I do not take lightly, sir. I will do my best.

First, if you are not accustomed to alcohol, the taste of wine, particularly red wine, is for many people hard to get used to. It is bitter and hard in the way of coffee or dark chocolate. These contain phenolic compounds very similar to red wine, so it is very likely that if you like cream and sugar in your coffee and prefer milk chocolate to dark chocolate, you may not like this wine. If, on the other hand, you like black coffee and dark chocolate, your palate may be perfect for good cabernet.

Wines are like movies. You have your comedies, your action/adventure, and your dramas and foreign films. Many newbies start with the comedies (sweet wines like Riesling and white zinfandel) , and then progress to the action/adventure wines, reds like Napa Cabernet Sauvignon (if you can afford it) and Zinfandel, which in today’s style packs an alcoholic wallop. Only after tiring of these simple devices does an appreciation develop of nuance.

I could just as easily have spoken of the transition in musical appreciation from pop music to hard rock to classical. What I want you to grasp is that you may not like my wine or understand why I made it. I hope you do, I am sure your connoisseur friends will get it, but you may not.

As to getting you the wine, there is an interesting social burden we must both consider. Of all U. S. States, Louisiana has imposed the most expensive license trade barrier to direct-to-consumer trade relations, a direct challenge to the constitutional guarantees of the interstate commerce clause. If Louisiana were to offer this license to internet retailers in addition to individual wineries, there would be no dispute. Since they do not offer this option despite their constitutional requirement to do so, wineries are unable to ship through compliant channels.

I am perfectly happy to ship to you in Louisiana and to pay the required sales tax, but the $1100 yearly license to do so is beyond my means. I will never do enough sales in LA to defray this cost. I am interested in becoming a test case to destroy this burdensome infrastructure, so let’s do a deal. Let the bastards come.

rwguessjr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rwguessjr

wow you blew me away with the late night reply. just for that you will have a long term customer...

and we will be fine black coffee and dark chocolate is the stuff of legends...

whats really funny is i just got finished watching your videos from your winery site and just happened to check and saw you post. very much surprised me. and very appreciated.

i have a feeling that this will be a interesting journey.

as for the louisiana tax buisness i was unaware but it does not suprise me in the lest... there is alot of trouble with taxes and government here in good ol loisiana... im sure if we bribed the right officials... hehe..

if i was to order from you directly on a semi-recurring basis would that end up causing you a problem or result in confiscation of the shipments... really starting to wonder when the next revolution is going to occur...

again thanks so very much for your reply..

i look forward to learning more about your wine.

robert in louisiana.

winesmith

rwguessjr wrote:wow you blew me away with the late night reply. just for that you will have a long term customer...

and we will be fine black coffee and dark chocolate is the stuff of legends...

whats really funny is i just got finished watching your videos from your winery site and just happened to check and saw you post. very much surprised me. and very appreciated.

i have a feeling that this will be a interesting journey.

as for the louisiana tax buisness i was unaware but it does not suprise me in the lest... there is alot of trouble with taxes and government here in good ol loisiana... im sure if we bribed the right officials... hehe..

if i was to order from you directly on a semi-recurring basis would that end up causing you a problem or result in confiscation of the shipments... really starting to wonder when the next revolution is going to occur...

again thanks so very much for your reply..

i look forward to learning more about your wine.

robert in louisiana.

Thanks Robert. I see you get the situation. Let's go to PM to service your needs.

srwatters

quality posts: 0 Private Messages srwatters

So this intrigues me, having grown up in Lodi. I recall lots of Zin and of course table grapes (the famous "Flame Tokay"), but I don't remember Cabernet flourishing in the zone 4-5 central valley. Where are the grapes sourced from? I lived out near I-5 & Hwy 12. It would be very interesting to see if I know the vineyard from various late night escapades :-)

I'm in for one set none the less. Sounds interesting.

sphervey

quality posts: 39 Private Messages sphervey
winesmith wrote:I call this little Crucible. It is not as dense, but more developed. The '05 Crucible is on a very long trajectory, 20 to 40 years more (depending on the quality of the cellar), during which it will develop unbelievable nuance and character. Right now, its appeal is its massive understatement – more like the Grand Canyon than Mount Fuji. It sucks you in with its divine absence.

I would estimate that within Bordeaux, Crucible is most like Pauillac, specifically Ch. Latour. Very dense, somewhat hard, and very clean, with blueberry/blackberry/cassis fruit and tar. I tried to center the Lodi Cab this way, and I got close, but there was always a bit more olive, which now has morphed into a very complex bouquet which reminds me more of Margaux, specifically Ch. Palmer, than Paullac. I don’t mean microbial funk – the wine is incredibly clean – but has a lot of earthy nuances which evoke aged Romano, porcini, and seaweed.

I am making a bigger deal of this than is correct. The two wines are very similar. For those of you old enough to remember Wagon Train, one could say that Crucible is Ward Bond, the solid leader, and this wine is Clint Eastwood, who scouted the road ahead.

More to the point, it's cheap enough to actually drink. A lot!

I am loving the erudite commentary today and mulling this one over in spite of a full wine cellar, however, I could not help but advise that Robert Fulton was the one who scouted ahead in Wagon Train and the great Clint Eastwood was the sidekick in Rawhide! (If someone already noted this I missed it.)

Wish all wineries would devote such time to these boards - today is quite an education for me.

winesmith

srwatters wrote:So this intrigues me, having grown up in Lodi. I recall lots of Zin and of course table grapes (the famous "Flame Tokay"), but I don't remember Cabernet flourishing in the zone 4-5 central valley. Where are the grapes sourced from? I lived out near I-5 & Hwy 12. It would be very interesting to see if I know the vineyard from various late night escapades :-)

I'm in for one set none the less. Sounds interesting.

You're right - Cab Sauv is new to Lodi. The old vines were Tokay and some Zin. The fighting varietals started going in during the '80s, which is when this vineyard was established.

This is Peterson Farms, which is on Turner Road out by Davis Road. North west of town, in the Mokelumne River sub-app. It was originally a cherry orchard.

sphervey

quality posts: 39 Private Messages sphervey

This blog:

http://www.1winedude.com/brettanomyces-in-wine-with-christy-canterbury-tasting-winesmith-crucible/

is about the 2005 Crucible and goes into great details about "Brett", MegaPurple, and other things. Could you give us your insight on how you use or don't use them in regards to "Little Crucible"? You have a gift for putting wine making into a language I can comprehend.

yorknh

quality posts: 3 Private Messages yorknh
mikefaulk wrote:Hello everyone!!! Mike Faulk here, Clark's wine making sidekick and the guy who will be bailing him out of jail. Anyone interested in getting your hands on some of WineSmith's awesome wines PM me. We usually find a way to work things out... Even if it means bailing Clark out of Jail :-) Live Free or Die New Hampshire!!!!

You went and did it with that last statement. While I'm pretty sure the NH license is more on the order of $250 and not the $1100 of the mudsuckers in Louisiana I can imagine that it still might be prohibitive based on the potential number of sales in NH, but you'll be getting a PM from me nonetheless.

1ltkls

quality posts: 2 Private Messages 1ltkls

Based on my not-so-recent purchase of WineSmith's Planet Pluto Meritage, I've got to jump on this one. That wine was one of the reasons I've been transitioning from more of a beer drinker to more of a wine drinker.

Let's see, one to gift, one for immediate drinking then one every two years? That justifies hitting the big button for quantity = 2 doesn't it?

kls

11/17/2006 RANDOM CRSorry, we're sold out of this item or don't have enough blah blah blah.
11/17/2006 RoboRaptor Platinum Robo Dino
11/17/2006 LeakFrog (3!)
10/17/2006 jWIN AM/FM Radio Headphones: 2-fer
10/13/2006 HP Premium Plus 4×6 Photo Paper
08/18/2006 SanDisk 256MB MP3/WMA, FM, Voice Rec.

cotillion

quality posts: 4 Private Messages cotillion

Don't have much time for detail here, but just thought I'd say that I bought this (and Clark's book) a few months back and have opened one bottle. This is a seriously impressive wine and tasted very much in line with Clark's first comment here (to me).

I'm broke right now, and there are very few wines I'd be willing to buy before my next payday. I'm buying this.

jcarlton03

quality posts: 6 Private Messages jcarlton03

The Faux Chablis was incredible, and how can you not love the wine maker answering EVERY question presented plus some?! Not that I have seen anything different from Clark in the past. I haven't gone in on any reds because of the price, but you finally won me over. In for 2!

This should be the model for all wine makers, especially on woot!

It's great to be a Florida Gator!

SVonhof

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SVonhof

I am in. I have never tried Clark's wines, but based on the comments, I am trying it. I am only 40 minutes south of Lodi so I know the area well (as well as some amateur winemakers in Lodi).
I am always looking for a good Cab that is in the under $30 range and with this deal, that goal is met.

srwatters

quality posts: 0 Private Messages srwatters
winesmith wrote:You're right - Cab Sauv is new to Lodi. The old vines were Tokay and some Zin. The fighting varietals started going in during the '80s, which is when this vineyard was established.

This is Peterson Farms, which is on Turner Road out by Davis Road. North west of town, in the Mokelumne River sub-app. It was originally a cherry orchard.

Wow. That is exactly my old stomping grounds. I lived out off Ray road and Hwy 12. Used to take Turner road in and out of town all the time. I will very much enjoy tasking your wares and thanks for the reply. Nice to have input from the winemakers here on Woot! Cheers.

maitredgreg2

quality posts: 1 Private Messages maitredgreg2

I bought two of these when they were presented late in 2013. So far I've opened 2 bottles, and was blown away by its classic flavors. Great QPR for the money.
I also finally opened a bottle of the Crucible for the Saints & Philly game this past weekend, and to say the least, awesome!

maitredgreg2

quality posts: 1 Private Messages maitredgreg2

I'm in for at least one more. 🍷🍷🍷🍷👍

Donfrank

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Donfrank

All Cab-ed up an dno place to go. Too many good comments to pass up, in for 2 offers. My Robert Nenow ordered on Chirstmas Eve should be here any day now (hope it does not freeze !) A Nemow - Smith comparison in a few weeks may be interesting.

rjquillin

quality posts: 174 Private Messages rjquillin
winesmith wrote:Get out the corkscrew, Ron. We need some testimony. Daddy needs some new shoes, buddy.

So I assume your question is: "how long will this wine hold up in a good cellar?" I think it is slightly before middle-aged, maybe 40% along its journey. It's seven years old now, so I'd confidently give it another ten.

So go and buy your new shoes. You knew I wouldn't pass this up.
Home too late and off to work to pay for this too early. I supposed I could have opened one last night to drink tonight, but that would require forethought...
And yes, that was exactly the question, but only 10!?

I see you're going to be the featured guest with Tom on the WB forum here in a month; that should be ~interesting~ and an event not to miss. Gonna have any additional specials for us there?

Always a treat to have you around, oh, and what's the best (least expensive since you just picked my pocket here) way to add a digital copy of your book to the pulp one I'm reading now?

CT

cortot20

quality posts: 145 Private Messages cortot20

Any SoCalers who bought want to throw a bottle my way? I don't have the space or cash for a full set.

CT