St. Julian Chancellor Noir Michigan Red 6-Pack
$64.99 $127.00 49% off List Price
2011 Braganini Reserve Chancellor Noir
CT link above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

rjquillin

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rjquillin

The other Braganini I've had, 2010 Cab Franc, took a wee bit of getting used to, a bit different from others I've had, but was quite good.
Very tempted here for some cool climate juice, hoping some have tasted and post.

CT

chipgreen

quality posts: 185 Private Messages chipgreen

$14.99/bottle on the Braganini website?

rjquillin

chipgreen wrote:$14.99/bottle on the Braganini website?

Looks like that's for the 2009.
Numbers here are different, still..
Strange.

CT

chipgreen

rjquillin wrote:Looks like that's for the 2009.
Numbers here are different, still..
Strange.

Yep, different vintages, different numbers but identical tasting notes.

EDIT: Heh, just realized the woot deal is supposed to be for 6 bottles, the picture only shows 4 and it says 4 on the wine.woot home page, but says 6 on the product page and Cesare posted 6 (but it says 4 at the top of this page!).

merrie1106

quality posts: 0 Private Messages merrie1106

Even at $14.99/bottle, the savings are negated (IMO) with the $12 shipping charge. This is my first "wine by mail" experience, so I hope I am not disappointed.

chipgreen

merrie1106 wrote:Even at $14.99/bottle, the savings are negated (IMO) with the $12 shipping charge. This is my first "wine by mail" experience, so I hope I am not disappointed.

Looks like you're getting a 6-pack here so it should be a good deal. Welcome to the wonderful (and addicting) world of wine.woot!

chipgreen

chipgreen wrote:....just realized the woot deal is supposed to be for 6 bottles, the picture only shows 4 and it says 4 on the wine.woot home page, but says 6 on the product page and Cesare posted 6 (but says 4 at the top of this page!).

PM'd woot mod, hopefully will be fixed by morning.

slm9951

quality posts: 14 Private Messages slm9951
merrie1106 wrote:Even at $14.99/bottle, the savings are negated (IMO) with the $12 shipping charge. This is my first "wine by mail" experience, so I hope I am not disappointed.

$12.00 shipping?

kylecountryman

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kylecountryman

If it is for a six pack, I think I will give it a try. Waiting for confirmation.

chipgreen

kylecountryman wrote:If it is for a six pack, I think I will give it a try. Waiting for confirmation.

Guess I PM'd the wrong mod.

greeneggsandham

quality posts: 2 Private Messages greeneggsandham

Now that we’ve figured out the value issue (thank you), has anyone tasted this wine, or even the varietal?

agingdragqueen

quality posts: 120 Private Messages agingdragqueen

Staff

chipgreen wrote:PM'd woot mod, hopefully will be fixed by morning.

It has indeed been changed to 6, sorry for the previous confusion, rejoice in more wine!

jnv23

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jnv23

I was at this winery just a few days ago. I didn't try this particular wine, but I thought I'd offer up my take on the wine there. Everything I tried was good, though if you like wine with a lot of tannins, this might not be the winery for you. Their reds were a bit milder than others I'd tasted. Again, I didn't taste this particular one, but I'd guess that this one would be on the soft side as well, flavor-wise. I don't really like dry reds, but my husband does. Based on our particular preferences, I thought St. Julian's reds were pretty tolerable and my husband thought they were good but not great. If you're looking for a red wine to appease a group of people with widely divergent tastes in wine, my guess is that this would probably be a pretty good choice. Also, the whites and fruit wines we tried at St. Julian were great, so if any of those ever go up for sale here I'll definitely be buying some.

merrie1106

quality posts: 0 Private Messages merrie1106
slm9951 wrote:$12.00 shipping?

At cellar tracker, it was $12 shipping for 4 bottles ... since Woot only charges $5 it was a better deal, especially now with 6 bottles. :-)

rjquillin

Thermovinification;
seems to be a bit of a hot topic, and I knew nothing about it, so I found a couple of primers that may be of assistance:
Wines and Vines is pretty extensive,
Midwest Press does a good job too, and has a great pic of a retail dispensing facility with some Chancellor for $7.50/gal.

Currently reading Clark Smith's Postmodern Winemaking book where he uses MOx to help with some extraction as well.
Curious what he'd say about this.
Hopefully we'll get some winery participation as well.

CT

klezman

quality posts: 121 Private Messages klezman

I haven't had this vintage of Chancellor, but I did have the 2009 from a previous wooting. I enjoyed it - but it's not a big California wine. It's less dense, less ripe, and with a set of flavours you don't often get in sunny CA: earth, leaves, etc...

So if you will only be happy with a high-extract Zin, this is not for you. If you like, say, Cru Beaujolais, then give this a try.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

rjquillin

klezman wrote:I haven't had this vintage of Chancellor, but I did have the 2009 from a previous wooting. I enjoyed it - but it's not a big California wine. It's less dense, less ripe, and with a set of flavours you don't often get in sunny CA: earth, leaves, etc...

So if you will only be happy with a high-extract Zin, this is not for you. If you like, say, Cru Beaujolais, then give this a try.

Want a couple, or so?

CT

merbill

quality posts: 29 Private Messages merbill
rjquillin wrote:Want a couple, or so?

I would take 1 for Century Club purposes....

3X Wine Wooters FFL Champion, Commissioner, and Monkey Prize recipient
RPM Tours #2 & #4 Tourista
Wine Century Club Member #919

losthighwayz

quality posts: 59 Private Messages losthighwayz
merbill wrote:I would take 1 for Century Club purposes....

+ 1

"The older I get the better I was"