MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 185 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

PoSt away Folks!!!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

CpprCr8 wrote:List of previous WW gatherings by area.
New list in the Gatherings tab and Old list in the Community tab. Great reading and great examples of how to set up a Get-Together Thread.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Upcoming Woot Wine Gatherings…All The News for the week of December 22
Happy, happy, joy, joy??? If so, it's time to... Attend or Host a Get-Together in your area!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

January
1/24-26: Buffalo/WNY #11: Icewine Festival

February
2/21-23: 2014 Dark & Delicious Weekend (Alameda, CA)

Summer
TBD: 2014 RPM History Tour Interest Thread

Pending
TBD: Trip to Taldeschi, Hawley & Handal
TBD: Atlanta #1
TBD: NYC Tasting #??: A Tribute (interest thread)
TBD: NorCal #?: Open invitation to the New Muscardini Tasting Room

No events in your area??? Start one! Create an interest thread in the GATHERINGS Community Tab.

So join or create a WW Gathering!

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

otolith wrote:Ahem...

Really? You want credit for a half-answer? Because you didn't say that they would be good, only posted them with question marks.

Only good for a quarter credit, especially without citations!!! Silly otolith!!!

chipgreen

quality posts: 197 Private Messages chipgreen
MarkDaSpark wrote:Really? You want credit for a half-answer? Because you didn't say that they would be good, only posted them with question marks.

Only good for a quarter credit, especially without citations!!! Silly otolith!!!

I'm guessing her Mom was referring to a Late Harvest or Ice wine because she said they let the grapes turn to raisins on the vine whereas the grapes for Amarone are picked when ripe and allowed to dry in bins until they shrivel up like raisins.

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith
MarkDaSpark wrote:Really? You want credit for a half-answer? Because you didn't say that they would be good, only posted them with question marks.

Anyone who knows those wines know that they are excellent wines.

Also, I was the first one to give her an answer, I guess I could have linked to lmgtfy as well.

edit: so my non-answer, which was still the first answer to her question, makes it worth at least a 1.0...

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

bahwm

quality posts: 30 Private Messages bahwm
chipgreen wrote:I'm guessing her Mom was referring to a Late Harvest or Ice wine because she said they let the grapes turn to raisins on the vine whereas the grapes for Amarone are picked when ripe and allowed to dry in bins until they shrivel up like raisins.

Correction: When making Ice Wine, the grapes are left on the vines to FREEZE. Somehow they do not turn to raisins. I think these are grapes that originally have a lot of juice and so, they are able to freeze and then, the winemakers squeeze out the last drop or two from each grape to make the beautiful nectar which is Ice Wine--hence the high cost--it takes a lot of frozen grapes to make a little bit of Ice Wine! Oh, yeah, and they have to be picked only after the temperatures have been in the mid to upper teens Fahrenheit for three days in a row and are often picked in the middle of the night (these specs are for Ontario, Canada)

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

chipgreen

bahwm wrote:Correction: When making Ice Wine, the grapes are left on the vines to FREEZE. Somehow they do not turn to raisins. I think these are grapes that originally have a lot of juice and so, they are able to freeze and then, the winemakers squeeze out the last drop or two from each grape to make the beautiful nectar which is Ice Wine--hence the high cost--it takes a lot of frozen grapes to make a little bit of Ice Wine! Oh, yeah, and they have to be picked only after the temperatures have been in the mid to upper teens Fahrenheit for three days in a row and are often picked in the middle of the night (these specs are for Ontario, Canada)

Correct Momma's Momma cuz she said it.

"my mom was telling me about a wine she saw on some show (people were tasting/discussing wine) and this wine was made from grapes that had been allowed to stay on the vine until they were almost raisins"

rjquillin

quality posts: 179 Private Messages rjquillin

Bowtie,
Check PM, need PN.

CT

bahwm

quality posts: 30 Private Messages bahwm
chipgreen wrote:Correct Momma's Momma cuz she said it.

No. I'm correcting your explanation of what an Ice Wine is and how it's made. I don't believe Momma's Momma knows what a true Ice Wine is, let alone the process by which it's made (sorry mommadeb).

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

otolith

chipgreen wrote:Correct Momma's Momma cuz she said it.

"my mom was telling me about a wine she saw on some show (people were tasting/discussing wine) and this wine was made from grapes that had been allowed to stay on the vine until they were almost raisins"

Rereading that would make me think that a late harvest wine is what she's referring to...

I don't think I've ever had a bad late-harvest wine. They are (or can be) awesome!

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

chipgreen

bahwm wrote:No. I'm correcting your explanation of what an Ice Wine is and how it's made. I don't believe Momma's Momma knows what a true Ice Wine is, let alone the process by which it's made (sorry mommadeb).

Wasn't trying to explain how an ice wine was made, just trying to guess what kind of wine Momma's Momma was talking about based on the information provided but I understand teachers correct things!

gregorylane

quality posts: 15 Private Messages gregorylane

Hi kids! Long time, no?
I've got a query...opened a bottle of Wellington 2007 Karren Vineyard Cabernet last evening, and was so sad that it was cooked beyond wine recognition...
Can somebody steer me in the right direction? It came from an old Woot offer.
BTW...Merry Christmas to my old Wine.Woot friends!!

There is really no point in trying to explain liberty to people who don't understand what it means.
rpm-2012

chipgreen

otolith wrote:Rereading that would make me think that a late harvest wine is what she's referring to...

I don't think I've ever had a bad late-harvest wine. They are (or can be) awesome!

I'm still guessing ice wine based on the $40-$70/bottle price range.

chipgreen

gregorylane wrote:Hi kids! Long time, no?
I've got a query...opened a bottle of Wellington 2007 Karren Vineyard Cabernet last evening, and was so sad that it was cooked beyond wine recognition...

If Peter were around he would probably say "Call Toby at the tasting room".

Toll Free 1-800-816-WINE

otolith

chipgreen wrote:I'm still guessing ice wine based on the $40-$70/bottle price range.

I'm guessing late harvest as those can be in the same price range...

Leave it to a teacher to leave us with a paucity of details to make a conclusion.

--John Muir

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
rjquillin wrote:Bowtie,
Check PM, need PN.

Checked, responded, all is right with the world.

Well, today absolutely sucks because people are stupid actually, but its getting better.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

MarkDaSpark

chipgreen wrote:I'm guessing her Mom was referring to a Late Harvest or Ice wine because she said they let the grapes turn to raisins on the vine whereas the grapes for Amarone are picked when ripe and allowed to dry in bins until they shrivel up like raisins.

I'm pretty sure that the grapes for Late Harvest wines aren't left on that long (and bahwm already answered for the Ice wines). Most of the Straw wines seem to be made from raisin-like dried grapes. See the picture in the link. Looks like raisins to me.

Late Harvest wines wiki.

Reading it, it appears that Trockenbeerenauslese is left on the vine to dry, but "botrytized" via noble rot. None of the other wines considered LH seem to be using "dried" grapes.

But chances are unlikely that her mom saw these, since prices for Trockenbeerenauslese are sky high (most were well over $100, with quite a few over $1,000).

Straw wines wiki aka Raisin Wine. (Original link)

Actually, it's more likely that her mom saw a Passito di Caluso, which per Wine Searcher, is around $60 here.

bhodilee

Just get any late harvest wine and say, here ya go Mom, this is the same style you saw on TV. She'll never know, she'll love the wine, everyone will be happy. Yay white lies!

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

chipgreen

bhodilee wrote:Just get any late harvest wine and say, here ya go Mom, this is the same style you saw on TV. She'll never know, she'll love the wine, everyone will be happy. Yay white lies!

Problem solved!

mommadeb1

quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1

maybe that is what she told me...I know it was not ice wine ... all I remember was something about raisins... as you can see, I wasn't paying too much attention at the time.

mommadeb1

bahwm wrote:No. I'm correcting your explanation of what an Ice Wine is and how it's made. I don't believe Momma's Momma knows what a true Ice Wine is, let alone the process by which it's made (sorry mommadeb).

I just needed to listen better to what mom said... she actually does know how Ice wine is made....

mommadeb1

bhodilee wrote:Just get any late harvest wine and say, here ya go Mom, this is the same style you saw on TV. She'll never know, she'll love the wine, everyone will be happy. Yay white lies!

actually just talked to her.. it was an Amerone (sp) and the grapes were picked then turned to raisins.. AND while she was out yesterday, she bought a bottle ($50) ... soooo so much for me getting it for her Christmas present!!!

mommadeb1

agggghhhh.... not enough time to get things done!!!!! Today is my son and Dads birthday...we are going out for company/birthday.... the 27 is my daughters. Double stress as she turns 16 and will be going for her license!!!!!!!!!!!

chipgreen

mommadeb1 wrote:actually just talked to her.. it was an Amerone (sp) and the grapes were picked then turned to raisins.. AND while she was out yesterday, she bought a bottle ($50) ... soooo so much for me getting it for her Christmas present!!!

otolith and Sparky had it right all along!

chipgreen

MarkDaSpark wrote:I'm pretty sure that the grapes for Late Harvest wines aren't left on that long (and bahwm already answered for the Ice wines). Most of the Straw wines seem to be made from raisin-like dried grapes. See the picture in the link. Looks like raisins to me.

Late Harvest wines wiki.

Reading it, it appears that Trockenbeerenauslese is left on the vine to dry, but "botrytized" via noble rot. None of the other wines considered LH seem to be using "dried" grapes.

But chances are unlikely that her mom saw these, since prices for Trockenbeerenauslese are sky high (most were well over $100, with quite a few over $1,000).

Straw wines wiki aka Raisin Wine. (Original link)

Actually, it's more likely that her mom saw a Passito di Caluso, which per Wine Searcher, is around $60 here.

I'd like to try some of that straw wine.

rjquillin

bhodilee wrote:Checked, responded, all is right with the world.

Well, today absolutely sucks because people are stupid actually, but its getting better.

great, one more request..

CT

rjquillin

From past threads, and personal issues we won't publicly discuss, I'm thinking initiate with what used to be CS and now is just support.
Likely WCC/WD will get the message for wither credit or replacement, if possible.

gregorylane wrote:Hi kids! Long time, no?

CT

rjquillin

mommadeb1 wrote:agggghhhh.... not enough time to get things done!!!!!

So quit spending so much time killing helpless cute little (tasty) chickens. The turkey was fine and overgrown and needed to go anyway.

How many chickens to make a turkey?

CT

MarkDaSpark

chipgreen wrote:otolith had it right all along!

Ahem!

otolith wrote:Amarone?
Tokaji?

Is not getting it right!

MarkDaSpark wrote: ... Amarone della Valpolicella is a dry, bitter version, made by completing fermentation, but Recioto della Valpolicella is made by stopping fermentation, and thus is sweet.

Amarone is a Straw wine!

chipgreen

MarkDaSpark wrote:Amarone is a Straw wine!

LOL I was just coming back to add an "and Sparky" to the otolith comment.

I didn't know that Amarone was an example of straw wine.

rjquillin

bhodilee wrote:Can't find it here! Stupid Midwest!

What do you recall in the commercial about it (sake)? Any details at all?

CT

rjquillin

I am so close to a "Baaah Humbug!" I could wring some chicken neck.

Carriers (UPS) not delivering to the address on the label; off campus receiving instead of building-room on campus.

Campus receiving not delivering anything until NEXT YEAR!

Staff and students, that would be me and others, trying to kick some ass to get an instrument completed for early January shipment.

Yup, not much "holiday" spirit here right not, need spirits of another type to ease the nerves. And none of the 2+ cases of libations left. Grad students can absolutely put it away.

CT

otolith

otolith wrote:Amarone?
Tokaji?

Is not getting it right!

The hell it ain't!

--John Muir

rjquillin

bhodilee wrote:Checked, responded, all is right with the world.

PN now corrected on outgoing.

CT

mommadeb1

rjquillin wrote:So quit spending so much time killing helpless cute little (tasty) chickens. The turkey was fine and overgrown and needed to go anyway.

How many chickens to make a turkey?

well we had a few 8/9# chickens... average weight was about 6# ....

MarkDaSpark

otolith wrote:The hell it ain't!

Uh huh. Did you answer your Medical Certification exam like that?

Q: A patient comes to you with a pain in his chest, what body organ is most likely to blame?

Ototlith's answer: Heart?

Right.

mommadeb1

rjquillin wrote:I am so close to a "Baaah Humbug!" I could wring some chicken neck.

Carriers (UPS) not delivering to the address on the label; off campus receiving instead of building-room on campus.

Campus receiving not delivering anything until NEXT YEAR!

Staff and students, that would be me and others, trying to kick some ass to get an instrument completed for early January shipment.

Yup, not much "holiday" spirit here right not, need spirits of another type to ease the nerves. And none of the 2+ cases of libations left. Grad students can absolutely put it away.

after too many years in retail ruined the holidays for me! I have been out for 15 years and I still haven't recovered!!

bhodilee

rjquillin wrote:What do you recall in the commercial about it (sake)? Any details at all?

something about bamboo

Found it, I think Sho Chiku Bai

otolith

MarkDaSpark wrote:Uh huh. Did you answer your Medical Certification exam like that?

Q: A patient comes to you with a pain in his chest, what body organ is most likely to blame?

Ototlith's answer: Heart?

Right.

Nope, that was multiple choice!

You're just pissed that I guessed right, first.

--John Muir

rjquillin

bhodilee wrote:something about bamboo

Found it, I think Sho Chiku Bai

Ah, ok.
That stuff is all over the place around here, not bad, also not something I'd totally avoid either, but if there are other options, well...
Bulk producer for the most part.
Generally find these in hot sake machines around here likely the 18l box of KOSHU Masamune. Yikes.
Not sure they even have a Junmai-Dai-Ginjo grade.
Ah, they do have one:
SHO CHIKU BAI Antique $60/720ml.
Might have to look for that one.

CT