Cesare

quality posts: 1672 Private Messages Cesare

Geyser Peak Reserve Alexandre Meritage, 3.0L
$159.99 $269.00 41% off List Price
2007 Reserve Alexandre Meritage, Alexander Valley 3-Liter
or
2009 Reserve Alexandre Meritage, Alexander Valley 3-Liter
CT links above

The 3-Liter you receive will either be a 2007 or a 2009. Which one you get will be randomly selected by the Winery

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

lassow

quality posts: 133 Private Messages lassow

Large formats age slower/differently than 750ml bottles. They also do not fit in your cellar easily, if your cellar is a wine fridge. This just makes it more difficult to pick a select few to hog a shelf. Speaking of space, how tall is this bottle? The diameter would also help.

I like to talk about wine, but I'd rather drink it.

sealag

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sealag
lassow wrote:Speaking of space, how tall is this bottle? The diameter would also help.

BallPark Figures: JEROBOAM
Jeroboam - 3 liters(100 oz.)
Equivalent to - 4 Bottles
18" Length - 5" Diameter (457 x 127 mm)

All who wander are not lost.

smlauren

quality posts: 0 Private Messages smlauren

I had purchased an Atlas Peak 3 liter bottle and had it on it's side and it started to leak after several months. So, I stood it upright, but this is not good, right? The cork drys out? So, I'm scared now to buy any more of these. I assume the pressure of that much wine was too much on the cork. Happy ending though, we opened it on Thxgvg and it was fine.

439 Bottles
$8,531.53
Avg. cost per bottle $19.43

kaolis

quality posts: 28 Private Messages kaolis
smlauren wrote:I had purchased an Atlas Peak 3 liter bottle and had it on it's side and it started to leak after several months. So, I stood it upright, but this is not good, right? The cork drys out? So, I'm scared now to buy any more of these. I assume the pressure of that much wine was too much on the cork. Happy ending though, we opened it on Thxgvg and it was fine.

I wouldn't let that deter you from buying this if you want one. My guess is you just had a bad seal for some reason on that bottle. I have purchased and stored many 3.0L bottles and larger over the years and stored them on their sides with no problems at all.

Cebar33

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Cebar33

No question there are some great buys on Wine Woot. But caveat emptor is the rule of the day. I highly recommend checking an unbiased site for info on this or any other wine you are contemplating - especially if it's an expensive purchase. A steep discount by itself is NEVER a good reason to buy. My go-to site is Cellar Tracker, FYI.

kaolis

Cebar33 wrote:No question there are some great buys on Wine Woot. But caveat emptor is the rule of the day. I highly recommend checking an unbiased site for info on this or any other wine you are contemplating - especially if it's an expensive purchase. A steep discount by itself is NEVER a good reason to buy. My go-to site is Cellar Tracker, FYI.

Cellar Tracker is a tool you can use, but not the end all be all, let's be honest. Here are some other thoughts on the 2007 (of course you may get the 2009, I see this is a random choice by the winery):

94 points Wine Enthusiast
A great wine for drinking now, this is just beginning to show the evolution of its primary blackberry, blueberry and currant fruits. Hints of anise, dark chocolate, dried herb, spices and cedar add interest. This is a blend of the classic Bordeaux varieties, but the Cabernet Sauvignon component stands front and center with its firm tannins, depth and concentration. (4/ 2013)

91 points Stephen Tanzer's International Wine Cellar
Deep ruby. Dark berry preserves, licorice and pipe tobacco on the highly perfumed nose. Chewy, palate-staining cassis and bitter cherry flavors are complemented by notes of vanilla and mocha, with a bitter chocolate note on the back half. Shows very good structure but no hardness. Chewy tannins give grip to the finish, which echoes the cherry and tobacco notes. (6/ 2013)

90 points Wine & Spirits
An old-school Alexander Valley red, this has begun to show some evolution in its flavors and the openness of its tannins. Scents of peppermint, black olive and fig meld in the middle, turning toward dried fruit and oak notes in the end. Ready for lamb. (6/ 2013)

Connoisseurs Guide
Taking on ripe-cherry fruit as its main theme but showing elements of bacon, milk chocolate and roasted herbs as well, this moderately full-bodied offering is at once showy and still has a sense of reserve that argues for a few more years of keeping. It is rounded and supple to start, and it firms just enough at the finish to confirm the need for a little more age. (4/ 2013)

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

Seems like a pretty significant OR in this sale. You get 2007, one of the best vintages of the decade....OR you get a 2009....That wouldn't be worth a $160 gamble to me without at least knowing how much of each is available.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

woottoady

quality posts: 34 Private Messages woottoady
North316 wrote:Seems like a pretty significant OR in this sale. You get 2007, one of the best vintages of the decade....OR you get a 2009....That wouldn't be worth a $160 gamble to me without at least knowing how much of each is available.

+1

philct

quality posts: 2 Private Messages philct
North316 wrote:Seems like a pretty significant OR in this sale. You get 2007, one of the best vintages of the decade....OR you get a 2009....That wouldn't be worth a $160 gamble to me without at least knowing how much of each is available.

+2 and I've been buying up more large format this year for the cellar but not so sure I want to put down the 09

[img]

bolligra

quality posts: 33 Private Messages bolligra

+ 3

As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

gtcharlie

quality posts: 6 Private Messages gtcharlie
bolligra wrote:+ 3

Wait just a second here. At the risk of piling on for $160 I don't get to pick which vintage I am going to receive? Can't pull the trigger on this one as much as I might like to receive the 2007.

Donfrank

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Donfrank

I'm feeling lucky so I'm going to give it a shot and order one. Maybe a little Christmas magic will come my way either here or with th eMega millions.

kaolis

Donfrank wrote:I'm feeling lucky so I'm going to give it a shot and order one. Maybe a little Christmas magic will come my way either here or with th eMega millions.

At least your odds are better here! And you spent less than the guy in front of me yesterday who bought $600.00 in Mega Millions tickets. I spent a buck.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus
Cebar33 wrote:No question there are some great buys on Wine Woot. But caveat emptor is the rule of the day. I highly recommend checking an unbiased site for info on this or any other wine you are contemplating - especially if it's an expensive purchase. A steep discount by itself is NEVER a good reason to buy. My go-to site is Cellar Tracker, FYI.

Thanks for the completely random and unnecessary PSA. And almost all of us here are at least familiar with CT. And almost all of is use it on a daily basis. But CT is really not, in and of itself, a great tool. It can be used as one assuming you know the tasters, their knowledge, and preferences.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

shahnm

quality posts: 27 Private Messages shahnm
gtcharlie wrote:Wait just a second here. At the risk of piling on for $160 I don't get to pick which vintage I am going to receive? Can't pull the trigger on this one as much as I might like to receive the 2007.

+4

wininbig123

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wininbig123
shahnm wrote:+4

Regardless of the long odds I am going to give it a go! Hope all that good karma rewards me!

Winedavid39

quality posts: 210 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

09 a great deal, 07 a ridiculously great deal. IMO

gastrognome

quality posts: 3 Private Messages gastrognome

+6 (or was it 5? I've lost track).

McMalbec

quality posts: 8 Private Messages McMalbec

On purchase of 2 will the Winery guarantee one of each vintage?

moondigger

quality posts: 11 Private Messages moondigger

I opened a 750 ml bottle of the 2000 vintage of this wine recently. It tasted like a $40-50 California Meritage (which is to say, good, assuming you like that style of winemaking). I vaguely recall paying about that much for it ~8-10 years ago from a local wine shop.

CT comments indicated it might have been past prime by the time I opened it. If so, then it must have been excellent when it was in the prime drinking window.

I have not tried either of the two vintages in this offer, but if they're anything like the 2000 vintage, the Woot asking price is fair. Factoring in the cost to ship, it's more than fair.

For those thinking of making this their first 'big bottle' purchase, be aware that wine matures more slowly in big bottles. I had a 3L of Rancho Zabaco Zinfandel that drank quite nicely five years past when its 750 ml brothers would have begun deteriorating. (Opened that one at a family chili cookoff.)

Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

McMalbec wrote:On purchase of 2 will the Winery guarantee one of each vintage?

no, but there's a good chance.

Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

btw- this will arrive in time for Christmas.

SmilingBoognish

quality posts: 49 Private Messages SmilingBoognish

I'm willing to play vintage roulette on a Wellington mixed case, but not on a single bottle purchase of this magnitude. Then again, I hate Vegas. To each their own!

bolligra

quality posts: 33 Private Messages bolligra

My go-to site is the wooters here on wine.woot.

As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

chipgreen

quality posts: 202 Private Messages chipgreen
SmilingBoognish wrote:I'm willing to play vintage roulette on a Wellington mixed case, but not on a single bottle purchase of this magnitude. Then again, I hate Vegas. To each their own!

I think people just need to decide if the '09 is worth the asking price. If so, then you can't lose. Buy it for the '09 and be extra happy if you receive the '07.

SmilingBoognish

quality posts: 49 Private Messages SmilingBoognish
chipgreen wrote:I think people just need to decide if the '09 is worth the asking price. If so, then you can't lose. Buy it for the '09 and be extra happy if you receive the '07.

That's the right way to look at it.

fogtower

quality posts: 1 Private Messages fogtower
Winedavid39 wrote:btw- this will arrive in time for Christmas.

Would love to see more of the block collection Merlot.

cortot20

quality posts: 158 Private Messages cortot20
chipgreen wrote:I think people just need to decide if the '09 is worth the asking price. If so, then you can't lose. Buy it for the '09 and be extra happy if you receive the '07.

This.

CT

2schmoos

quality posts: 1 Private Messages 2schmoos
cortot20 wrote:This.

This is a toughy with so few posts...

Realize larger formats call for a premium but 07 on the web can be had for $35 a bottle.

Before the natives get restless, I know shipping is only $5 vs. whatever it would be on the web.

Is this that much better than the $100 Bighorn 3L?

What is the drinking window on this ?

"That was a defining moment... Either you define the moment or the moment defines you."

~ Roy "Tin Cup" McElvoy

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus
2schmoos wrote:This is a toughy with so few posts...

Realize larger formats call for a premium but 07 on the web can be had for $35 a bottle.

Before the natives get restless, I know shipping is only $5 vs. whatever it would be on the web.

Is this that much better than the $100 Bighorn 3L?

What is the drinking window on this ?

I love the idea of mags but am rarely impressed with the pricing of them. I was just discussing this topic on a different board, actually. Drinking window is probably significantly open. I would imagine that the 2007 is good for at least 10-12 years based on the numbers. I am less familiar with the 09 vintage as a whole, but would guess about the same, again based on the numbers.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

2schmoos

quality posts: 1 Private Messages 2schmoos
kylemittskus wrote:I love the idea of mags but am rarely impressed with the pricing of them. I was just discussing this topic on a different board, actually. Drinking window is probably significantly open. I would imagine that the 2007 is good for at least 10-12 years based on the numbers. I am less familiar with the 09 vintage as a whole, but would guess about the same, again based on the numbers.

Which board?

Wish it was easier to follow all of the relevant
Discussions about a particular topic than going thru all of the different threads in the general room...

"That was a defining moment... Either you define the moment or the moment defines you."

~ Roy "Tin Cup" McElvoy

wininbig123

I got the 2009. Would be interested to see how many of the 2007's were given out!

reeturn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages reeturn

I got the 2009 and was one of the first to order. I know it was random, however...just wandering if random meant 1 person will randomly get an 07!

Donfrank

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Donfrank
Donfrank wrote:I'm feeling lucky so I'm going to give it a shot and order one. Maybe a little Christmas magic will come my way either here or with th eMega millions.

YEA BABY, just picked up my package and I got the 2007 !!!!!

wininbig123

Donfrank wrote:YEA BABY, just picked up my package and I got the 2007 !!!!!

Salt in the wound! Thanks

spyderkeeper

quality posts: 1 Private Messages spyderkeeper

'09