redhead11

quality posts: 2 Private Messages redhead11

We are planning a trip up the coast of California and want to stay in Monterey for 2 nights. Any suggestions on where to stay?
Thanks

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58

A few miles north is the best value on the coast.

http://www.santacruzmotels.com/sea_and_sand.html

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

redhead11

quality posts: 2 Private Messages redhead11

okay...now how about wineries that are musts???

time2testit

quality posts: 14 Private Messages time2testit

OK folks. There must be some of you who have some good suggestions for hotels, restaurants and wineries up/down the coast (Cambria, Monterey, Solvang) in addition to our pal tytiger. Share the knowledge please!

tytiger58

O.K. if you are up there you might as well go to Pescadero 25 miles north of Santa Cruz and stop in Duartes restaurant, home of the greatest Artichoke soup and the best Cioppino in the world! Make a reservation. http://www.duartestavern.com/

And since you are there you might as well drive around the corner and get some of the best goat cheese in the world. http://www.harleyfarms.com/

Of course Mount Eden and Vine Hill are not too far both are a nice visit. Thanks for reminding me we need to head back up there

losthighwayz

quality posts: 59 Private Messages losthighwayz
time2testit wrote:OK folks. There must be some of you who have some good suggestions for hotels, restaurants and wineries up/down the coast (Cambria, Monterey, Solvang) in addition to our pal tytiger. Share the knowledge please!

Are you planning on staying in Solvang area? If so, the Pea Soup Anderson's Inn is a great value in Buellton. Not a five star but definitely comfortable. Wife and i Prefer to use our money on food and wine. As for food: awesome breakfast spot directl across from the Inn...on pR or better than the Solvand pancake houses that tend to get crowded...this is a locals spot with awesome I think its called Ellen's. Lunch: Los Olivos has a market that serves awesome tri tip sandwiches on thursdays and Saturdays...the best! They also have a full service deli. We have tried other spots bu this is by far the best. We usualky take them to go and eat at Lncort or Buttonwood wineries on Alamo Pintado.dinner: the BEST wine pairing not only n the area but in L.A. IMHO. Mirabelle Inn's restaurant. Amazing! Small and romantic though xpensive.

"The older I get the better I was"

losthighwayz

redhead11 wrote:okay...now how about wineries that are musts???

See my reply to timetotestit...this is a continuation. The fod at Mirabelle is Amazing! Other dinner spots: Grappolo in Santa Ines or ... Cant remember right now. Must visit wineries:
Tercero in los olivos
Curtis on Foxen Canyon
Kaena in Los Olivos
Longoria in Los Olivos

Ive never been but the wine ghetto in Lompoc is on our to do list...

time2testit

quality posts: 14 Private Messages time2testit

Thanks. Keep the suggestions coming. We are pretty familiar with the Los Olivos and PR areas but not so much with the Cambria and Monterey areas other than Wrath winery. And hotels and restaurant suggestion up that way also.

(By the way, we also like Pea Soup Andersons for both the pea soup and the simple lodging near things. And yes, Redhead11 loves Ellen's)

klezman

quality posts: 126 Private Messages klezman
tytiger58 wrote:O.K. if you are up there you might as well go to Pescadero 25 miles north of Santa Cruz and stop in Duartes restaurant, home of the greatest Artichoke soup and the best Cioppino in the world! Make a reservation. http://www.duartestavern.com/

And since you are there you might as well drive around the corner and get some of the best goat cheese in the world. http://www.harleyfarms.com/

Of course Mount Eden and Vine Hill are not too far both are a nice visit. Thanks for reminding me we need to head back up there

Well crap...that's my old stomping ground. Harley Farms is glorious, although very expensive cheese. You can also get freshly baked artichoke bread in the bakery next to Duarte's. Once you're that far north, though, you could also spend some time playing around the Santa Cruz Mountain wineries. So many to choose from, but obviously check out Ridge.

2014: 42 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2012 Iron Horse Estate Chardonnay
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

klezman

Also, this would be easier to discuss over whisk(e)y and/or wine. Especially seeing as how all of us commenting are pretty close to each other.

2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

tytiger58

klezman wrote:You can also get freshly baked artichoke bread in the bakery next to Duarte's.

Indeed! And if the waves are breaking you can have them make a killer sandwich that you can take a few miles north and watch people surfing mountains of water at Mavericks

Man I have to get back up there soon!

klezman

Back to Monterey proper, you've got the Bargetto tasting room on Cannery Row - but iirc they don't refund tasting fees when you purchase. Big black mark, imo.

Near Cannery Row is a little gem of a winery called Pierce Ranch Vineyards. They farm the extreme southern end of the Monterey AVA, but it's mostly Portuguese varietals. Interesting stuff, and some of it was delicious!

On the 101 side of things, there's a lot of good tasting options near Pinnacles National Monument. Chalone is east of 101 while almost everything else is west - between 101 and the coast mountains. Hahn is over there, but there are some much smaller wineries also.

The main road of Carmel Valley is also a great place to drive. It's a half day of tasting unless you really take your time. Fairly expensive overall, but there are some good wines iirc, although my last visit there was several years ago now.

RRCobra

quality posts: 0 Private Messages RRCobra
redhead11 wrote:We are planning a trip up the coast of California and want to stay in Monterey for 2 nights. Any suggestions on where to stay?
Thanks

We are from the Bay Area and visit Monterey/ Pacific Grove often. Our favorite B&B is 7 Gables. The Gable room is pretty cool and has an incredible view of the ocean. The Fish Wife (fish...duh) and Whaling Station (steaks) are our two favorite restaurants. About 30 miles south of Carmel, on highway 1, is Napenthe's which serves the Ambrosia burger, and the view of the coast is magnificent. Talbott winery in the Carmel valley has very good reds and the drive is enjoyable....have fun!

losthighwayz

klezman wrote:Also, this would be easier to discuss over whisk(e)y and/or wine. Especially seeing as how all of us commenting are pretty close to each other.

Agree! Let's try to get together sometime in the next three weeks...