CT link above

Website

Previous offers:
9/17/12 (2011)
12/13/11 (2010)

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

stillmanbrown

quality posts: 141 Private Messages stillmanbrown

Yep, I'm here. I might even stay awake for half an hour this time!
Got questions?

webdev511

quality posts: 37 Private Messages webdev511

Sure, drinking window on this? and Oh My Freezing Gluteous-Maximus holy high alcohol content!

stillmanbrown

webdev511 wrote:Sure, drinking window on this?

Hard to say. I had a 2003 from this vineyard, though I didn't make it, that hadn't held up so amazingly. If I only had two bottles, I'd open one next year (which could be Elvis' birthday, Jan. 8, or a year from now) and another in two or four?
The 2010 Colossus isn't slipping at all, and the 2005 Black Zep and 2005 La Mort Du Roi, also low yield/high extract high alcohol clone 877s, are great. But the latter two were from a vineyard a few miles away.

stillmanbrown

webdev511 wrote:Sure, drinking window on this? and Oh My Freezing Gluteous-Maximus holy high alcohol content!

Yes, and I won't tell you it has the structure of a 13% alcohol wine, but I will say this: the grapes simply didn't taste ripe under 30 brix, and adding a lot of water wouldn't have worked - the acid was fine, and in proportion - and there wasn't really enough wine to do an RO (reverse osmosis). Besides, there are limits to my enotechnophilia: just as some biodynamic types draw the line at actually slaying sacrificial animals in the vineyard during the full moon, I stop short of RO.

goneferal

quality posts: 18 Private Messages goneferal

I'm so intrigued. Pretty label, blackberry extract, one-glass-and-out alcohol content and bar-b-qued wolverines. So dark. It beckons.

stillmanbrown

I make 12% alcohol wines too, and since Robert Parker is dead nobody can accuse me of making wines like this to get big scores (and I barely have enough for WW and my email list). So please, no 'I don't drink anything over 14%' remarks. Either take pills first or s the fup!
Whoops, did I say that?

stillmanbrown

Oh - there's a new book about Paso Robles wine and culture out, it's very funny. It's also cheap. I'm not going to put in a link to it, because the formatting is a PITA and besides, it would be inappropriate. But it's called 'A Rite Of Paso' and it's by Chris Kassel, and it's on Amazon.
Soooo tempted to say something here, but instead, go buy the book. It's twelve bucks.

loveladyelectric

quality posts: 23 Private Messages loveladyelectric

Colossus again! That's enough for most people, right? This is another vintage of Colossus, and a good vintage at that.

I had this wine aerated for about 30 minutes before trying. I do think it tastes better below 70F, for what it's worth.

The wine had a beautiful nose of blackberry, blueberry, coffee, and lush dark fruits. This definitely smells of Syrah fruit, but is not at all over-extracted like most Paso Robles Syrahs. There was a great floral bouquet as well, which reminded me of much colder climate Syrahs.

The palate was very similar to the nose- very dark fruit with a floral finish, but also some white pepper. The similarities between this and Walla Walla Valley fruit is pretty close. As fruity and high alcohol as this wine is, it's still surprisingly full of a more terroir driven flavor than a lot of new world wines.

I enjoyed this a lot. I saw the alcohol on the label before I tried it and wished I hadn't because I just kept waiting to notice it. If you've had colossus before, you know what to expect and this will not disappoint. If you're looking to dip your toes in some great Paso Robles Syrah, this is a very great wine to start with.

stillmanbrown

loveladyelectric wrote:Colossus again! That's enough for most people, right? This is another vintage of Colossus, and a good vintage at that.

I had this wine aerated for about 30 minutes before trying. I do think it tastes better below 70F, for what it's worth.

The wine had a beautiful nose of blackberry, blueberry, coffee, and lush dark fruits. This definitely smells of Syrah fruit, but is not at all over-extracted like most Paso Robles Syrahs. There was a great floral bouquet as well, which reminded me of much colder climate Syrahs.

The palate was very similar to the nose- very dark fruit with a floral finish, but also some white pepper. The similarities between this and Walla Walla Valley fruit is pretty close. As fruity and high alcohol as this wine is, it's still surprisingly full of a more terroir driven flavor than a lot of new world wines.

I enjoyed this a lot. I saw the alcohol on the label before I tried it and wished I hadn't because I just kept waiting to notice it. If you've had colossus before, you know what to expect and this will not disappoint. If you're looking to dip your toes in some great Paso Robles Syrah, this is a very great wine to start with.

Thanks. I don't know what you mean by overextracted, does that refer to tannin balance or ?
You probably have to work tomorrow, so you don't need to answer me, and if you don't, you've probably moved on to firewater or worse.
Under 70 points?!?!? Oh, degrees. Well, that's always good advice.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

While at my UPS Store going through all the shipments that came in yesterday and today and trying to figure out why there was an extra 2 labels (duplicate scans), it appears a box of Stillman's 2012 Colossus fell off the truck into my PO Box.

On Pop 'n Pour, I could smell the blackberry, sadly, my nose isn't the best tonight, as I have some congestion, so that's the limit tonight. But I couldn't smell or taste the high alcohol that was listed, unlike other wines I've had with high levels.

Enjoyable, the first glass was. Food had with second and third glasses, I did. Why sound like Yoda, do you?

Anyway, had some French Onion soup and a very nice Porterhouse steak, and both went very well with SB's Syrah.

This is not an in your face tannin Syrah, but a very, very nice Syrah. 4.5 hours later, and it is still drinking the same (nom, nom, nom).

In for 2 sets, since this is very nice for sharing. 90 on the Sparky scale.

As noted, this is not for long term aging, but more of "why didn't I open this sooner!" wine.

There's one or two sips left in the bottle for reporting tomorrow night on. Assuming this doesn't sell out first. Or I decide to finish it tonight.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

loveladyelectric

quality posts: 23 Private Messages loveladyelectric
stillmanbrown wrote:Thanks. I don't know what you mean by overextracted, does that refer to tannin balance or ?
You probably have to work tomorrow, so you don't need to answer me, and if you don't, you've probably moved on to firewater or worse.
Under 70 points?!?!? Oh, degrees. Well, that's always good advice.

When I refer to something as "extracted" I am referring to the fruit. A lot of Paso Robles wine can be very, very fruit forward to (in my opinion) a fault. There's a market for that and I'm fine with it, but it's not my cup of tea.

outdoorslife

quality posts: 8 Private Messages outdoorslife

Argh... its just NOT fair... Another great SB wine shows up and NH is on the blocked list... why why why???? Been waiting all year for this (so to speak!). No merry Xmas for me...

cheesed00dle

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cheesed00dle

Another would-be insta-buy, another day of muttering at the stupid state of NJ...

stillmanbrown

outdoorslife wrote:Argh... its just NOT fair... Another great SB wine shows up and NH is on the blocked list... why why why???? Been waiting all year for this (so to speak!). No merry Xmas for me...

If you are not in one of the ever-changing, ever shifting Amawoot-allowed-alcohol states, contact me directly. Ahem! stillmanb@aol.com

stillmanbrown

cheesed00dle wrote:Another would-be insta-buy, another day of muttering at the stupid state of NJ...

If you are not in one of the ever-changing, ever shifting Amazoot-suit-attorney approved states, contact me directly. Ahem! stillmanb@aol.com

stillmanbrown

Oh my, a wooter from GA on my FB asking about Colossus . . . you people who are in the WW approved states better act fast before you have to refill your cellars from the aisles of the local Quik-E-Mart, or the wizened wino at the Grumpy Grape down the street, who will try to sell you some of the heat-damaged 1989 Opus he has a stack of in the back of the store.

srwatters

quality posts: 0 Private Messages srwatters

I drank my 2011 last month and it was excellent. Big and brutish perhaps, but a sensory pleasure that works really well post meal. I too was surprised to see the alcohol level, but didn't really feel it either.

I'm in for two of the two packs!

Big question is when will WW see more of the Black Zeppelin? I need more of the PS please!

Speed to first woot: 1m 53.113s
First sucker:tauwillow
Last wooter to woot:srwatters
Last purchase:a few seconds ago

stillmanbrown

Coming up next year: Vermentino, Viognier, Pinot Noir, Tempranillo, Alicante Bouschet, Counoise, and Death To The Infidel Zinfandel. Some, in quantities such that they will be on a woot-off for three minutes.

stillmanbrown

srwatters wrote:I drank my 2011 last month and it was excellent. Big and brutish perhaps, but a sensory pleasure that works really well post meal. I too was surprised to see the alcohol level, but didn't really feel it either.

I'm in for two of the two packs!

Big question is when will WW see more of the Black Zeppelin? I need more of the PS please!

Last wooter to woot:srwatters
Last purchase:a few seconds ago

Thanks! I seem to have 'forgotten' about the Black Zeppelin label but I will see what I can do . . .

LandRoverNut

quality posts: 1 Private Messages LandRoverNut

Wish I could be in for 6 bottles, woot still hasn't fixed the TN or VA shipping issue yet!! :-(

blakewoot

quality posts: 11 Private Messages blakewoot
stillmanbrown wrote:Thanks! I seem to have 'forgotten' about the Black Zeppelin label but I will see what I can do . . .

I randomly opened a 2009 Central Coast Black Zeppelin last night and it was mind-blowing. So much attitude and character, and tremendously evolved from my previous bottle 9 months ago. Based on that experience, I'm in for 4 bottles of this Colossus deal.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 564 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

stillmanbrown wrote:Coming up next year: Vermentino, Viognier, Pinot Noir, Tempranillo, Alicante Bouschet, Counoise, and Death To The Infidel Zinfandel. Some, in quantities such that they will be on a woot-off for three minutes.

Welcome back, Stillman. Always love having you visit us in the forums.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

stillmanbrown

ThunderThighs wrote:Welcome back, Stillman. Always love having you visit us in the forums.

Especially my aggressive solicitation of formerly shippable customers?

cortot20

quality posts: 139 Private Messages cortot20

I really enjoy stillmans wines. I also recommend getting on his email list for a first shot at his new wines. You also will get the occasional free wine quiz. ( which I never win)

CT

cheesed00dle

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cheesed00dle
stillmanbrown wrote:Especially my aggressive solicitation of formerly shippable customers?

Solicit away!

chipgreen

quality posts: 187 Private Messages chipgreen
cheesed00dle wrote:Solicit away!

If it keeps disenfranchised wine.wooters interested in the site while woot continues to work on resolving shipping issues, then it's a win-win-win! Swilly sells more wine, wine.woot retains customers and wooters in blacked-out states still get a deal.

EDIT: Since OH is back in the game, I'm in for a set to support Stillman and WD. A little more than I wanted to pay @ $35/bottle shipped but with a mere 78 cases produced this might be the only chance we get at this juice!

Last wooter to woot:chipgreen
Last purchase:2 minutes ago

cortot20

quality posts: 139 Private Messages cortot20
stillmanbrown wrote:Coming up next year: Vermentino, Viognier, Pinot Noir, Tempranillo, Alicante Bouschet, Counoise, and Death To The Infidel Zinfandel. Some, in quantities such that they will be on a woot-off for three minutes.

Intrigued by the alicante and the counouise.

CT

chuck718

quality posts: 4 Private Messages chuck718
stillmanbrown wrote:Coming up (...) Counoise

How now, Brown's Counoise?

oncman

quality posts: 2 Private Messages oncman

Glad to see Ohio on the list again. Haven't had a Stillman wine I haven't liked. I also appreciate his participation in the discussions. His comments are informative and often quite entertaining!

jrarey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jrarey

Wishing holiday Wooters more luck with today's WOOT than with this one from NINE days ago that still hasn't shipped and has apparently been abandoned by anything resembling actual customer service; http://home.woot.com/offers/candy-basket-salted-caramels-your-choice

S_H_A_M_E ON YOU WOOT!

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
jrarey wrote:Wishing holiday Wooters more luck with today's WOOT than with this one from NINE days ago that still hasn't shipped and has apparently been abandoned by anything resembling actual customer service; http://home.woot.com/offers/candy-basket-salted-caramels-your-choice

S_H_A_M_E ON YOU WOOT!

What is up with so many people not understanding the shipping these days?

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58
kylemittskus wrote:What is up with so many people not understanding the shipping these days?

I was wondering the same thing about Christmas Ha

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
kylemittskus wrote:What is up with so many people not understanding the shipping these days?

Because they never used to wait until the end of the Plus sales to ship?

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

kaolis

quality posts: 27 Private Messages kaolis
LandRoverNut wrote:Wish I could be in for 6 bottles, woot still hasn't fixed the TN or VA shipping issue yet!! :-(

If you are serious about buying and not just bit%$&ng if you go up a few posts you will see that you can contact the winery direct and they will take care of you.

Cheers!

stillmanbrown

kaolis wrote:If you are serious about buying and not just bit%$&ng if you go up a few posts you will see that you can contact the winery direct and they will take care of you.

Cheers!

He's not BSing and I am taking care of him! Now if I could just get more than one bottle of Death To The Infidel Zinfandel into Somalia . . .

stillmanbrown

oncman wrote:Glad to see Ohio on the list again. Haven't had a Stillman wine I haven't liked. I also appreciate his participation in the discussions. His comments are informative and often quite entertaining!

thanks!

stillmanbrown

cortot20 wrote:Intrigued by the alicante and the counouise.

Me too! The Alicante was originally intended to blend with the Syrah, but that may not happen until the 2014 vintage - the 2013 may have to stand alone - stylistic/chemistry issues. I hope to make the best Counoise in the history of CA - that is to say, about 86 points on my scale!

stillmanbrown

OK, listen up . . . I have to hit the road for a few hours. So if you have a burning question, call me! If I don't answer while driving next to a cop, leave a brief lucid vmail . . .
805-550-6492.