WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: When a guest brings a bottle of wine to your home, do you serve it or save it?
  • 49.7% - Serve it 1012
  • 6.7% - Save it 136
  • 41.5% - Depends on the wine 845
  • 2.1% - Something else (comments, please) 43
2036 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

ceagee

quality posts: 66 Private Messages ceagee

It just depends.

You didn't even say if they were coming for dinner or if they were staying or just dropping by or if they were bringing kids or what activities were planned. Too many variables to mention.

It just depends !

ardubu

quality posts: 8 Private Messages ardubu

How much have I had to drink already?
How much have the guests had?
What's open?
Who's on first?
Where's Waldo?

Ah, the hell with it.

noslensj

quality posts: 47 Private Messages noslensj

Let's go with the thought that this is an ordinary situation in which a guest brings a bottle of wine to an event that is a standard, non-oenophile type of get-together.

And we're seriously considering whether someone would insult that guest by not opening the botthe that they brought????

That would seem to me to be a quintessential example of a wine snob with all of the offensive traits that could be attached.

Life is about friendship and personal relations. One of the biggest beauties of wine is its ability to lubricate and facilitate that end. Wine is not the end; it is the means to the end.

chipgreen

quality posts: 207 Private Messages chipgreen

The guest should announce their intentions when presenting the wine to the host, i.e. "here is a hostess gift" or, "I thought we could have this with dinner". Assuming they have not done that, as the host I would probably just ask my guest directly if they would like me to open the bottle.

slm9951

quality posts: 14 Private Messages slm9951
chipgreen wrote:The guest should announce their intentions when presenting the wine to the host, i.e. "here is a hostess gift" or, "I thought we could have this with dinner". Assuming they have not done that, as the host I would probably just ask my guest directly if they would like me to open the bottle.

I agree with this. I always assume the wine is a gift for me. If the giver is looking at the bottle with a longing look in his eye, I might be inclined to say "shall we open this?".

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
noslensj wrote:Let's go with the thought that this is an ordinary situation in which a guest brings a bottle of wine to an event that is a standard, non-oenophile type of get-together.

And we're seriously considering whether someone would insult that guest by not opening the botthe that they brought????

That would seem to me to be a quintessential example of a wine snob with all of the offensive traits that could be attached.

Life is about friendship and personal relations. One of the biggest beauties of wine is its ability to lubricate and facilitate that end. Wine is not the end; it is the means to the end.

We had this happen recently - we hosted a dinner for a couple of friends, and they brought a bottle of wine. We had already selected wines that would be served with the various courses, and we opted not to open their bottle. They were not offended at all and completely understood the concept of having already paired wines for the meal (especially if the wines required decanting and were already open and in decanters). Now, had they brought something really truly amazing that would have easily replaced one of our selections, then yes, we would have opened it - but they themselves admitted that it was a wine they liked but wasn't a "must open" kind of thing.

Conversely, there have been several occasions where we have brought wine somewhere and it was not opened that evening. No offense taken - if we bring a wine to someone's house, we do not expect it to come home with us, whether it means it is drank or it is kept by the host/ess as a gift.

I suspect by your reaction that you would be one to be offended if you brought a wine that was not opened. If you aren't prepared to 1) Not open the bottle and 2) Not bring it home with you - don't bring it. Invite the people you wish to share it with to your place and open it then instead

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

noslensj

quality posts: 47 Private Messages noslensj
cheron98 wrote:

I suspect by your reaction that you would be one to be offended if you brought a wine that was not opened. If you aren't prepared to 1) Not open the bottle and 2) Not bring it home with you - don't bring it. Invite the people you wish to share it with to your place and open it then instead

That's strictly a hypothetical because I would never bring an uninvited bottle of wine to a party in that fashion. If I did it would be as a gift to the host, which then means the host is free to open it or not as they see fit.

But that's me. If someone brings an unannounced bottle to my event with the intent that it is to share - there's going to have to be a pretty darn good reason for me to not open that bottle.

fzzywolf

quality posts: 1 Private Messages fzzywolf

Depends on the GUEST!

The Fzzy One

seanlange

quality posts: 3 Private Messages seanlange

Generally just open it and serve it. That allows to keep the much better wine on my rack and have my guests drink the stuff with the screw top that my friend just brought. :D

SmilingBoognish

quality posts: 49 Private Messages SmilingBoognish

If we have already selected and/or opened wine to have with the meal such that opening the gift wine would be overkill, we usually don't open it unless it would go better with the meal.
To the extent we don't open it, we make an effort to invite them back at a later date to open their previous gift with an appropriate meal.

More often than not, the gift wine is opened and enjoyed on the first visit.

SmilingBoognish

quality posts: 49 Private Messages SmilingBoognish
noslensj wrote:If someone brings an unannounced bottle to my event with the intent that it is to share - there's going to have to be a pretty darn good reason for me to not open that bottle.

You mean like they dig out your wine opener and open it themselves? That's a party!

phelpst

quality posts: 0 Private Messages phelpst

I guess it depends on a few different things.
- What kind of party is it?
- Does the wine fit the food at the party?
- What else is already open?
- Are there other wine drinkers?
- Did they show up with their own corkscrew?

manhandsha

quality posts: 41 Private Messages manhandsha

Staff

Depends. Sometimes I send it home with them, sometimes we drink it and other times I save it.

Have a question about your order or account? Click here to contact Woot Member Services.

TheCheshire

quality posts: 1 Private Messages TheCheshire

"Oh, this will be GREAT to cook with! Thank you!"

chipgreen

quality posts: 207 Private Messages chipgreen
TheCheshire wrote:"Oh, this will be GREAT to cook with! Thank you!"

daveinwarshington

quality posts: 31 Private Messages daveinwarshington

Well, next dinner out, I'm gonna bring a BIG box of fine vintage vino. I'll even bring the plastic cups!

They better serve it, or else.....

LoomTheElf

quality posts: 1 Private Messages LoomTheElf

I say, "Thanks for the thought, but it's all yours. We don't drink." So, it doesn't get opened. :D

MikePhoto

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MikePhoto

Open it, of course.

Then take a big ol' swig, and pass the bottle.

"The thing about quotes on the Internet is that you cannot confirm their validity." - Benjamin Franklin

jelliebaby

quality posts: 12 Private Messages jelliebaby

I need to vent! Although purchases from other woot! areas ship promptly, what's up with the slow shipping on anything ordered from winewoot! ?? On the rare occasion I've ordered items from winewoot they take weekS to ship. Someone with clout needs to reassess this.

Thanks for letting me b*tch.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 617 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

jelliebaby wrote:I need to vent! Although purchases from other woot! areas ship promptly, what's up with the slow shipping on anything ordered from winewoot! ?? On the rare occasion I've ordered items from winewoot they take weekS to ship. Someone with clout needs to reassess this.

There's a lot going on the behind the scenes. Transporting the items, packaging, timing the shipments so they don't sit on a weekend, etc.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

kylemittskus

quality posts: 233 Private Messages kylemittskus
jelliebaby wrote:I need to vent! Although purchases from other woot! areas ship promptly, what's up with the slow shipping on anything ordered from winewoot! ?? On the rare occasion I've ordered items from winewoot they take weekS to ship. Someone with clout needs to reassess this.

You chose a strange place to do the venting.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

wesdapilot

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wesdapilot

OK, so here's the deal. I invite 6 friends over for dinner and one brings a bottle of wine he purchased from the local WalMart for $4. The wine can be opened and everyone can assess what the poor guy brought, or we can proceed with the wines that we had selected. At the end of the evening, if everyone is still vertical, we can open his and use it finish off the evening. Most people by that point won't be able to tell a Chateau Margaux from a Yellow Tail and no-one will be offended.

kmagt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kmagt

After a couple of years reading this site and ordering wine from winewoot, it still amazes me the number of non drinkers that feel it necessary to post comments about a subject they're un interested or have no experience in

LoomTheElf wrote:I say, "Thanks for the thought, but it's all yours. We don't drink." So, it doesn't get opened. :D

DarthTagnan

quality posts: 2 Private Messages DarthTagnan
slm9951 wrote:I agree with this. I always assume the wine is a gift for me. If the giver is looking at the bottle with a longing look in his eye, I might be inclined to say "shall we open this?".

I agree with you both. I bring a bottle to every home I visit. The wine is a gift for the host/hostess for the invitation to their home.

PocketBrain

quality posts: 47 Private Messages PocketBrain

I was going to say depens upon the wine or the guest, but it really is best to serve and share with the person who thought it would be a good idea. You can share notes and express your genuine appreciation for it.

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 35 Private Messages ddeuddeg
kmagt wrote:After a couple of years reading this site and ordering wine from winewoot, it still amazes me the number of non drinkers that feel it necessary to post comments about a subject they're un interested or have no experience in

+1
At least the Bud Light drinker seems to have ridden off into the sunset.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

cindyscrazy

quality posts: 3 Private Messages cindyscrazy

I tell them to keep it, I don't drink!

I do get wine sometimes from people I work with as a present (my job is considered drink inducing to everyone else) Rather then offend them, I accept. Then I give it to one of my family members whom I know will enjoy it.

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it"--from a T-shirt

https://www.etsy.com/shop/cindyscrazyknits?ref=si_shop

lamcjunk

quality posts: 8 Private Messages lamcjunk

According to "Freakin' Fabulous: How to Dress, Speak, Behave, Eat, Drink, Entertain, Decorate, and Generally Be Better than Everyone Else", you should never expect your wine (or food item) to be served when gifted.