2005 Petite Sirah, Napa Valley
2006 Petite Sirah, Napa Valley
2007 Petite Sirah, Napa Valley
CT links above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

cortot20

quality posts: 130 Private Messages cortot20

Where's sparkys tumbleweeds when you need them.

CT

lassow

quality posts: 132 Private Messages lassow

W.W, why the compelling juice but not a compelling price? And during the week of black Friday!

I like to talk about wine, but I'd rather drink it.

chipgreen

quality posts: 176 Private Messages chipgreen
lassow wrote:W.W, why the compelling juice but not a compelling price? And during the week of black Friday!

CT average of $76 for the vertical. Mission Liquor & Wines in LA has the '05 and '06 for $20 each.

PetiteSirah

quality posts: 78 Private Messages PetiteSirah

Rumor has it that there will be a l̶a̶b̶r̶a̶t̶ live-PoSting tasting THIS VERY MORNING, involving all three bottles.

Stay tuned, folks...

(rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated)

Hail the victor, the king without flaw
Salute your new master ... Petite Sirah!

"Who has two thumbs and loves Petite Sirah?" ThisGuy!

canonizer

quality posts: 22 Private Messages canonizer
PetiteSirah wrote:Rumor has it that there will be a l̶a̶b̶r̶a̶t̶ live-PoSting tasting THIS VERY MORNING, involving all three bottles.

Stay tuned, folks...

(rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated)

Ha! I was wondering if you'd be live for this.

signed.

chrismadrigal

quality posts: 3 Private Messages chrismadrigal
lassow wrote:W.W, why the compelling juice but not a compelling price? And during the week of black Friday!

Lassow,

Thank you for the thoughts/comment.

We are sharing some really special wines that have been perfectly stored (55 degrees) and the bottle aged to showcase the power of PS, we believe this was a compelling price for the care and additional attention we have given these bottles.

Also, the opportunity to experience a vertical all at once is really cool too….. The vintage and Mother Nature really shows her stuff….

Chris M

chrismadrigal

chipgreen wrote:CT average of $76 for the vertical. Mission Liquor & Wines in LA has the '05 and '06 for $20 each.

Chip,

Thank you for the comment and bringing that up.

Our friends at Mission Wine (and I mean that sincerely) have come to winery many times and are HUGE supporters of Madrigal. They did lower the price to move the last few bottles from their inventory, but that was more than several years ago. I will have to remind my kids that everything stays on the internet forever….

With that said, when working with WW for the first time, we decided to do pull some really special bottles from our library - we do PS REALLY well.

We have stored this bottles perfectly for 5-7 years. These wines can only be purchased at the winery from us and now in a vertical from WW.

As a side note about verticals, this is really cool to be able to taste side by side, year by year, and experience how vintages influence a wine.

We are small family winery and love to share our love for the land and the wines that we make.

Chris M.

chrismadrigal

I just had 2005 PS last night with BBQ and it was AWESOME!!!

Another favorite of mine is Lamb Tacos with PS.

Ask me for more pairings recommendations.

PetiteSirah

I'm also really excited about the age on these... just the right time for pre-dumb PhaSe PS, and a vertical to boot!

Now time to go downstairs and check to see if a package arrived...

PetiteSirah

PetiteSirah wrote:I'm also really excited about the age on these... just the right time for pre-dumb PhaSe PS, and a vertical to boot!

Now time to go downstairs and check to see if a package arrived...

Nope, nothing yet.

PetiteSirah

chrismadrigal wrote:I just had 2005 PS last night with BBQ and it was AWESOME!!!

Another favorite of mine is Lamb Tacos with PS.

Ask me for more pairings recommendations.

Lamb (especially with white pepper) and PS is one of the more inspired PairingS out there. PS can really handle the big, sometimes-gamy flavors of lamb, and the tannins really help cut through the fat.

chrismadrigal

PetiteSirah wrote:Nope, nothing yet.

PS,

I can't wait until package arrives!!!

Chris M

chipgreen

quality posts: 176 Private Messages chipgreen
chrismadrigal wrote:Chip,

Thank you for the comment and bringing that up.

Our friends at Mission Wine (and I mean that sincerely) have come to winery many times and are HUGE supporters of Madrigal. They did lower the price to move the last few bottles from their inventory, but that was more than several years ago. I will have to remind my kids that everything stays on the internet forever….
---snipped---
Chris M.

Hi Chris, thank you for your participation today. I don't doubt that these are some special bottles. They certainly have very good reviews from users on the Cellar Tracker website.

As wine.woot is unable to ship to Ohio at this time, I did take advantage of the low prices from Mission Wine. Hopefully the listings weren't leftover from several years ago as the wine appeared to be in stock on their website. I also picked up some of your '07 Cab Sauv from them. I guess I will have to wait and see if they send me an email saying that their website listings are outdated. Wouldn't be the first time...

Thanks again for joining us on the discussion boards and I look forward to seeing more Madrigal offers in the future (hopefully with available shipping to Ohio).

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 173 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

Lo and behold, a 2006 Madrigal PS dropped off the van into my box just now.

Need to let it settle for a bit.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

rjquillin

quality posts: 167 Private Messages rjquillin

PS and Sparky getting these. That alone suggests this may live up to it's black-tie status.

CT

trifecta

quality posts: 69 Private Messages trifecta

The monkeys had to take a long and arduous detour to find my current location... but they hopped many delivery trucks in frogger fashion and found their way to my doorstep.

2007 Madrigal Napa Valley Petite Sirah
Fresh off the truck, PnP. Color is dark and inky as one would expect from PS. Decent clarity, but I think it would settle more given time. Nose is a bit muted initially, but picking up deep dark fruit with components of blackberry compote and boysenberry with perhaps a touch of currant. Similar fruit on the palate initially, leaning more towards blackberry with some bramble. Good acid, lots of tannin heft (duh, PS). Picking up white pepper on the medium length finish. Even with only 10 minutes in the glass it is starting to wake up some. Will check back in an hour or so to update notes. This is a really nice PS. Age worthiness is not a question here, with this wine still a bit young and tight. I have had Madrigal PETs from the late and early 90s that were still fantastic. No worries with the long term potential of this wine either.

Holiday schedule = hectic. 4 hours open in the bottle and this wine has opened up, but I would say it could still use some time. Starting to pick up the cocoa/espresso on the back of the palate now. Up front fruit profile is still showing dark blackberry (not getting the blueberry from the notes). There is a fair amount of sediment and this wine will benefit from letting it rest after shipping a bit.

This is a nice wine at a good price.

klinemic

quality posts: 3 Private Messages klinemic

I had the pleasure of enjoying a wine pairing dinner with Madrigal wines recently sponsored by my favorite wine store. Chris was wonderful with his descriptions and the pairings were outstanding. I'm very hopeful that we'll be seeing more of Madrigal in the future on Woot. The zins and cabs are to die for...

MarkDaSpark

2006 Madrigal Napa Valley Petite Sirah

Okay, let it sit for 3 hours, and it's time!

PnP. Wonderful aroma on popping the cork. Color is dark and inky as usual for a PS. Wondering how trifecta found clarity, it's so nice and dark.

Nose has a wonderful aroma, picking up deep dark fruits of blackberry and black currant. Similar fruit on the palate initially, with good acidity and nicely rounded tannins (not in your face yet). Like trifecta, picking up white pepper on the medium length finish.

More in two hours.

Thinking I should have gotten more sets!

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

rjquillin

MarkDaSpark wrote:2006 Madrigal Napa Valley Petite Sirah

So you only got two!?

CT

chrismadrigal

If you new the quality of the fuit, the awesome care to make the wines and the impeccable conditions the wines were aged in. You would buy yourself some extra Christmas presents!

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon

Opening a bottle of 2005! (Would have done this for lunch but the bottle didn't arrive until 4:30 PST.

Popped and poured. A fair amount of sediment on the bottom of the cork and in the neck.

Inky black purple in the glass

Nose: virtually nothing... This baby is CLOSED right now.

Flavor: acid, a hint of black fruit and a little tannin... Closed!!!

We're putting this aside for an hour

Will report back

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
cmaldoon wrote:Opening a bottle of 2005! (Would have done this for lunch but the bottle didn't arrive until 4:30 PST.

Popped and poured. A fair amount of sediment on the bottom of the cork and in the neck.

Inky black purple in the glass

Nose: virtually nothing... This baby is CLOSED right now.

Flavor: acid, a hint of black fruit and a little tannin... Closed!!!

We're putting this aside for an hour

Will report back

An hour later and oh my, the nose is starting to open up A deep beautiful plum and fennel. The fennel flavor is a fantastic one that reminds me of Foppiano aged PS.

The palate is also rounding out. A fruity round body. Plum, a hint of licorice and a big dash of espresso.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

MarkDaSpark

MarkDaSpark wrote:2006 Madrigal Napa Valley Petite Sirah

Okay, let it sit for 3 hours, and it's time!

PnP. Wonderful aroma on popping the cork. Color is dark and inky as usual for a PS. Wondering how trifecta found clarity, it's so nice and dark.

Nose has a wonderful aroma, picking up deep dark fruits of blackberry and black currant. Similar fruit on the palate initially, with good acidity and nicely rounded tannins (not in your face yet). Like trifecta, picking up white pepper on the medium length finish.

More in two hours.

Okay, left some in the glass, and the rest in the bottle.

Still nom, nom, nom. Less tannins now on both.

Knowing now I need to order 2 more sets!

Edit: Very little sediment on the neck.

MarkDaSpark

rjquillin wrote:So you only got two!?

One initially. Note the "sets" part!

rjquillin

Yet?

CT

PetiteSirah

rjquillin wrote:Yet?

It was supposed to arrive in the morning but apparently arrived in the mid-afternoon/early evening after I headed out for Thanksgiving up in Boston.

MarkDaSpark

Any word on shipping? Got notifications for both orders (since I decided I wanted more!), but no movement on them.