2011 Il Campo "Inspired by Italy, Made in California'' Red Blend, Central Coast
CT link above

Winery website

Previous offer:
1/21/13 (2010)

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

rjquillin

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rjquillin

Welcome back Brian.
Can you tell us how this differs from your earlier 2010 offer included in the mix from April of 12?
Price point is much nicer!

CT

jsp872

quality posts: 22 Private Messages jsp872

Now that you guys are shipping to michigan again, would love to hear more about the flavor profile and the aging potential.
This wine looks interesting

melonbone

quality posts: 0 Private Messages melonbone
jsp872 wrote:Now that you guys are shipping to michigan again, would love to hear more about the flavor profile and the aging potential.

How long did it take to get shipping returned? I am ready to just give up on wine woot...
sincerely, Wisconsin.

cptgeorge

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cptgeorge

Still have one or two of the 2010 from http://wine.woot.com/offers/giornata-il-campo-red-blend-6. Of course that was back in the day when there was shipping to TN [sigh]. 'Tis a good wine, would expect the same out of the 2011.

blacktegu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blacktegu
melonbone wrote:How long did it take to get shipping returned? I am ready to just give up on wine woot...
sincerely, Wisconsin.

NEVER GIVE UP!

Cordially,
NY

jsp872

quality posts: 22 Private Messages jsp872
melonbone wrote:How long did it take to get shipping returned? I am ready to just give up on wine woot...
sincerely, Wisconsin.

I want to say about 3 - 4 months,
Luckily for me though(knock on wood), WTSO still shipped to Michigan
I have been getting my wine from them.
Which was nice cuz they put up alot of European wines I have never tried
But I checked winewoot from time to time to see if shipping was back, and now here it is!
Hopefully WTSO can help you in these dark times

brianterrizzi

quality posts: 18 Private Messages brianterrizzi

The composition is similar as both contain about 50% sangiovese. The 2011 has a new sangiovese vineyard however along with Luna Matta and Whitehawk. The profile of the wine however should be fairly consistent between the 2. Last time I tried the 2 together I would say that the oak profile is a bit less on the 2011.

rjquillin wrote:Welcome back Brian.
Can you tell us how this differs from your earlier 2010 offer included in the mix from April of 12?
Price point is much nicer!

joellg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joellg
sincerely, Wisconsin.

+1 for Missouri. Flood gates have just shut the last 3-4 months.

brianterrizzi

Our il campo is a wine made to emulate the great table reds that exist all over Italy. The wine is juicy and fresh and works well with typical Italian American cuisine. It stands up to spicy stuff well. We consider this our pizza wine. All the components of this wine are made on a very small scale and most are leftovers from our more expensive wines. Blending is done to guide the profile to a style consistent with our vision. This is our personal house wine that we drink on a fairly regular basis, maybe even tonight.

The fruit leans toward cherry and blackberry but some complexity and intensity of tannin exist as well.

We do not make this wine specifically to age, but it should hold up fine for a few years.

jsp872 wrote:Now that you guys are shipping to michigan again, would love to hear more about the flavor profile and the aging potential.

brianterrizzi

Thank you for that. Luckily TN is one of the states where we sell our wine. Ask any of the better retailers in the Nashville area and they should have our wine. Many great restaurants feature us too. Check out City House for one. I know woot has killer pricing though.

cptgeorge wrote:Still have one or two of the 2010 from http://wine.woot.com/offers/giornata-il-campo-red-blend-6. Of course that was back in the day when there was shipping to TN [sigh]. 'Tis a good wine, would expect the same out of the 2011.

tenoreprimo

quality posts: 5 Private Messages tenoreprimo

Anybody know the pH?

brianterrizzi

We are going to check the records, but I would guess around 3.5 based on the components. The acid is pretty zippy, but the #1 thing we strive for is balance.

tenoreprimo wrote:Anybody know the pH?

slm9951

quality posts: 14 Private Messages slm9951

This was one of my first Woots way back when Va was on the list. I remember it as a bright, tart forward wine with a great tannic finish. I enjoyed it more after it opened up later and the tartness calmed down. It was a very enjoyable evening sipper that lasted me over 3 evenings. I am still holding the Giornata gemellaia as a special treat for myself!!

cptgeorge

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cptgeorge
brianterrizzi wrote:Thank you for that. Luckily TN is one of the states where we sell our wine. Ask any of the better retailers in the Nashville area and they should have our wine. Many great restaurants feature us too. Check out City House for one. I know woot has killer pricing though.

Thanks Brian. Nashville is a couple hours drive northwest of where we are, but next time we're up there I'll check it out. And yes, hard to beat woot pricing.

brianterrizzi

Another note on this- I check pH pretty seriously at harvest as picking with acidity is one of my biggest keys. After that however pH is less of a concern. I don't acidulate my wines prior to bottling so the way I see it testing the pH doesn't matter. I use my palate to blend to what I deem to be the right balance.

I do see however why you would care about the #. If we can't find it just assume this will be more on the acidic side for Paso Robles. We are emulating our favorite Italian wines.

tenoreprimo wrote:Anybody know the pH?

brianterrizzi

Glad you liked the wine. The acid actually protects the wine and allows it to remain fresh for several nights. It also helps with aging. I sure hope you like the Gemellaia.

Sorry about the VA shipping, but you should be able to find our wine in DC and VA. We don't ship tons there, but seem to be represented in some nice shops and restaurants.

slm9951 wrote:This was one of my first Woots way back when Va was on the list. I remember it as a bright, tart forward wine with a great tannic finish. I enjoyed it more after it opened up later and the tartness calmed down. It was a very enjoyable evening sipper that lasted me over 3 evenings. I am still holding the Giornata gemellaia as a special treat for myself!!

tenoreprimo

quality posts: 5 Private Messages tenoreprimo
brianterrizzi wrote:Another note on this- I check pH pretty seriously at harvest as picking with acidity is one of my biggest keys. After that however pH is less of a concern. I don't acidulate my wines prior to bottling so the way I see it testing the pH doesn't matter. I use my palate to blend to what I deem to be the right balance.

I do see however why you would care about the #. If we can't find it just assume this will be more on the acidic side for Paso Robles. We are emulating our favorite Italian wines.

In for 1 and thanks for responding!

vze2hnvz

quality posts: 3 Private Messages vze2hnvz

Just as a side question. Do you chaptalize your must, or do you get the brix you want over there in sunny CA? I pressed both Traminette and Kay Gray's here in the Niagara region for me and some friend's, but they never reach the target brix in this area.

dmc69

quality posts: 4 Private Messages dmc69
vze2hnvz wrote:Just as a side question. Do you chaptalize your must, or do you get the brix you want over there in sunny CA? I pressed both Traminette and Kay Gray's here in the Niagara region for me and some friend's, but they never reach the target brix in this area.

We tend to have the opposite problem here… and chaptalization is prohibited in CA… though I'm sure it happens from time to time.

2011 was a gift for us in a way, with a remarkably cool growing season that gave us a bit more flexibility with picking decisions etc. In hot years, we're sometimes worried about ph & sugar getting too high before flavors are as developed as we'd like them to be.

-asst winemaker @ Giornata

knisk

quality posts: 2 Private Messages knisk
slm9951 wrote:This was one of my first Woots way back when Va was on the list. I remember it as a bright, tart forward wine with a great tannic finish. I enjoyed it more after it opened up later and the tartness calmed down. It was a very enjoyable evening sipper that lasted me over 3 evenings. I am still holding the Giornata gemellaia as a special treat for myself!!

Good post - thanks.

I was excited to see this winery on here again. I have tasted previous IL CAMPO releases and have been blown away with what they are delivering for under $20.

We have actually served this and a few of Giornata's other releases to really knowledgeable, experienced "wine friends" and they always think it is a $50+ boutique wine. (And truthfully it absolutely IS $50+ artisanal boutique wine.)

Picking this up for $12-$13 a bottle with shipping is simply absurd - I am not quite sure how the WineWoot guys pulled it off. First time I wooted this - I tried the first bottle and immediately wished I had bought the 3 woot limit.

rmm989

quality posts: 26 Private Messages rmm989
brianterrizzi wrote:

Any chance of matching this deal on your website?

This was one of my favorite blends that we got on woot, but woot can't ship to my state anymore. Really hoping to be able to get more.

IMO this one one of those "buy the max" deals that comes up on woot.

CT

dmc69

Random woot-related side note (I posted this during our wine.woot offer in April, 2012):

dmc69 wrote:Multi-talented (barrel-washing, foot-stomping, leg-breaking) cellar-rat who may or may not be employed by above noted winery for "dirty work" here to answer the ugly questions.

… and then I totally broke my leg during harvest this year…

And I haven't the slightest idea where the whole "leg-breaking" idea came from in the beginning. Fate is clearly a big jokester.

So today I re-title myself as highly-paid executive cellar-rat who often wins lotteries and marathons and cures cancer with a new wine-based diet…

I'll check back in another 18 months or so to let you know how my wine.woot-post future-altering theory pans out.

dmc69

rmm989 wrote:Any chance of matching this deal on your website?

This was one of my favorite blends that we got on woot, but woot can't ship to my state anymore. Really hoping to be able to get more.

IMO this one one of those "buy the max" deals that comes up on woot.

Thanks for the love!

If woot cannot ship wine to your state, shoot us an email at info@giornatawines.com and we'll try and work something out for you.

rmm989

quality posts: 26 Private Messages rmm989
dmc69 wrote:Thanks for the love!

If woot cannot ship wine to your state, shoot us an email at info@giornatawines.com and we'll try and work something out for you.

Thanks! After the last woot I looked all over for it with no luck. Very excited to see it back.

CT

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus

If I were buying . . .

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

brianterrizzi

After the last woot we were pretty much sold out, but you can always call or email us as we try to take care of everyone direct.

quote postid="5619901" user="rmm989"]Thanks! After the last woot I looked all over for it with no luck. Very excited to see it back.[/quote]

neilfindswine

quality posts: 168 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

SHILL: ....huge fan of Giornata; I've served the Il Campo, the Aglianico and the Gemellaia for discerning Italian friends (and non-Itialian friends who are Italian wine snobs) and all were impressed.

And as stated earlier, the QPR on this wine at full retail is impressive. A great daily drinker at this price that's good enough for the weekends...

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

rjquillin

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rjquillin

Ok, at under $15/btl, I could do two with any other interested SoCal'ers.

CT

jmdavidson

quality posts: 55 Private Messages jmdavidson

Looks like no buyers from Illinois yet. Anyone in the Chicago (and suburbs) area want to split this?

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 555 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Gironata reps: added your logo to your signature. Feel free to change via "Your Account" in the upper-right corner. Then choose Forum Settings.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

nathanbsmith

quality posts: 3 Private Messages nathanbsmith
brianterrizzi wrote:Thank you for that. Luckily TN is one of the states where we sell our wine. Ask any of the better retailers in the Nashville area and they should have our wine. Many great restaurants feature us too. Check out City House for one. I know woot has killer pricing though.

I will try this wine at City House on date night with my wife and close friends, who are also frequent wooters. City House will be a fist too.

Thanks Brian!!

Waiting patiently,
TN

LAST PURCHASE: Creminelli Italian Salami

2014: 1 (Thanks to stick-in-the-mud buzzkilling state legislators)

2013: 183 bottles and counting
2012: 74 bottles
2011: 38 bottles

My CT

rejiii

quality posts: 2 Private Messages rejiii

C'mon Woot, we need more wine selections not furniture or openers. Just get us the wine, we'll figure out how to open it and where to sit once we do.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
rejiii wrote:C'mon Woot, we need more wine selections not furniture or openers. Just get us the wine, we'll figure out how to open it and where to sit once we do.

I think you're a bit lost, my friend.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

brianterrizzi

Thanks wooters! Please visit us in our new winery and tasting room next time you're in Paso Robles.

InFrom

quality posts: 31 Private Messages InFrom

Darn, I was considering buying this, but I got home late and perhaps had consumed a glass or two of wine, and I forgot!

Any shares in the greater NYC area?