WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: Do you seek the advice of a sommelier when dining out?
  • 3.5% - Always 52
  • 40.2% - Sometimes 599
  • 56.3% - Never 838
1489 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

vaaccess

quality posts: 17 Private Messages vaaccess

Surprised by the "never" answers, honestly.

A real sommelier? Always. Why wouldn't you??? A waiter? Sometimes, if they have experience with the wines and I can verify they know a Syrah from a Petite Sirah!

I always find it interesting to hear other perspectives on the wine, but don't always follow the advice!

Wine Cooler (Image) currently at 47% of Capacity

My Current Inventory on CellarTracker

theother1

quality posts: 1 Private Messages theother1
vaaccess wrote:Surprised by the "never" answers, honestly.

A real sommelier? Always. Why wouldn't you??? A waiter? Sometimes, if they have experience with the wines and I can verify they know a Syrah from a Petite Sirah!

I always find it interesting to hear other perspectives on the wine, but don't always follow the advice!

Agreed. But I rarely dine in places with a true sommelier on staff. I'm not made of money!

Bookatze

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Bookatze

No need. I've done plenty of wine tastings; I already know what I like. And as far as I'm concerned, the perfect wine/food pairing is wine I like with food I like. I simply eat and drink what I want. I'm sure someone with a more sophisticated palate will beg to differ, but this is what works for me.

StarM

quality posts: 19 Private Messages StarM

If its a real sommelier, I love talking to him/her and getting their input. If its a faux somm, then never mind. Although, there are some longtime wait staff or bartenders who enjoy wine and can add some input if you see something interesting that you're not familiar with.

And, why is it, that just about everyplace now (short of Chilis) has a somm???? Really?

"We hear of the conversion of water into wine at the marriage in Cana as of a miracle. But this conversion is, through the goodness of God, made every day before our eyes. Behold the rain which descends from heaven upon our vineyards, and which incorporates itself with the grapes, to be changed into wine; a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy." Benjamin Franklin

narquespamley

quality posts: 24 Private Messages narquespamley

On the few special occasions when we go to a restaurant with a sommelier on staff, I tend to bring my own bottle of wine, thus saving the - literally - $100 markup.

jtmacc99

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jtmacc99

Always! There is an excellent choice I'll just get what I want anyway, but he or she might make me think of something I didn't consider when pairing up with the food.

dnlkolender

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dnlkolender
narquespamley wrote:On the few special occasions when we go to a restaurant with a sommelier on staff, I tend to bring my own bottle of wine, thus saving the - literally - $100 markup.

Indeed...

salanth

quality posts: 1 Private Messages salanth

The only time we did it was when my husband proposed to me and we had a hard time choosing which champagne to get. Then again, it was a wine binder rather than a wine list, so yeah.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
Bookatze wrote:No need. I've done plenty of wine tastings; I already know what I like. And as far as I'm concerned, the perfect wine/food pairing is wine I like with food I like. I simply eat and drink what I want. I'm sure someone with a more sophisticated palate will beg to differ, but this is what works for me.

Somms can recommend something you might like based on what you tell them. It's a great way to a) try something new and b) navigate a menu with few familiar names.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

michael103055

quality posts: 0 Private Messages michael103055
kylemittskus wrote:Somms can recommend something you might like based on what you tell them. It's a great way to a) try something new and b) navigate a menu with few familiar names.

I'm with you Kyle,why not get information from a sommelier? I have a 35+ year relationship with enjoying fine wine. Do I know it all? Nope...never will either...it's too much for me to keep up with anymore.Often an establishment has some excellent wines that have not made it to their wine list yet or might have been recently taken off , but they might be willing to part with a bottle or two to accompany my dinner. I have had some real surprises over the years just by inquiring. When I do bring my own bottle(s), I always share a glass either with the sommelier and/or the chef.Sometimes you can surprise him or her. Besides being proper wine etiquette, it will generally come back to you tenfold.It might be returned to you as another different free glass or bottle of wine to taste,or in your meal with a special add-on, or simply with a free dessert. Good establishments always return the favor. So yes...I recommend to always have a conversation with the sommelier.

nmbwr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nmbwr

Best wine for Thanksgiving dinner is Vouvray. But my husband thinks you should have Blue Nun and Wild Turkey. Some odd thing from his youth.

rjquillin

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rjquillin

Pointless comment to see if I can get five in a row.

But I've found somms can really help when the list is a book.

CT

daveinwarshington

quality posts: 16 Private Messages daveinwarshington

Never.
I can choose my own beer, pairing the correct IPA, Porter, Hefe, lager or whatever.

emccoyii

quality posts: 5 Private Messages emccoyii

I'm sorry, but Taco Tim's doesn't have a sommelier.

gnuman

quality posts: 1 Private Messages gnuman

I never need advice because I don't drink wine.

wkdpanda

quality posts: 10 Private Messages wkdpanda

If the place has a real selection (ie. more than the back side of the menu), then they might actually have a real sommelier. IF they do, then talk to him. I might or might not take their advice, but it can be educational. Also, if you can display a bit of knowledge, you tend to get a bit better service.

PS - only place I have dined at with a master sommelier (and they are rare) had a wine binder 112 page long. No way I was going to be able to pick out the perfect wines.

----------------
Andy the Wicked Panda

Discord

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Discord

As others have said, not utilizing the expertise of a sommelier in a high end restaurant is stupid. They know their cellar and they know what goes with the food that you will be eating. Sometime I know what I want to pair with my food. Other times they may have a better suggestion. Even if they suggest something you can still order what you prefer. Ignoring an expert is ignorant.

alexmunse

quality posts: 0 Private Messages alexmunse

The way I figure, it's free to ask, I don't really know giblet about wine AND it makes me look good in front of my wife when all I have to do is nod and go "Uh-huh" and "Burgle blurgle tannins barg"