SonomaBouliste

quality posts: 238 Private Messages SonomaBouliste
bolligra wrote:I've always been a little confused about the dumb phase. My understanding is a red wine quits developing and goes dumb about the fifth year and comes out of it in about the eight. So, does that mean it shouldn't be drunk during that period, i.e. Is it actually worse in the sixth than it would be in, say, the fourth year? Or does it just maintain whatever level it was when the dumb period begins? Is something noticeable to you guys with good palates if you drink wine while it's dumb? Thanks for any clarity.

You couldn't ask a simple question, could you?

Unfortunately, many aspects of wine quality are both subjective AND highly variable. The 5 -8 y.o. dumb phase is, at best, a generalization for top Bordeaux wines in a "typical" (if we even know what that is anymore) vintage. It certainly isn't a hard and fast rule that can be applied to all red wines. Some will be completely dead before they are 8 y.o., while others may be very backward and tight at 8 y.o. The wine doesn't quit developing; "dumb phase" is typified by a diminution of fruit aroma intensity without a lot of development of complex, secondary aromas ("bouquet"). Most people perceive wines in this stage to be less aromatic ("closed in"). Unfortunately, there is no sure fire way to know when a wine is in a dumb phase other than tasting that particular vintage regularly. Some wines never go through a dumb phase at all.

BTW: turkeys can fly (at least the wild ones can), and have an amazingly powerful, near vertical, takeoff.

tmacfarlan

quality posts: 10 Private Messages tmacfarlan

It's been nearly a year and a half since I've bought wine from woot, and that was a Wellington deal. I had a lot of backlogged wine to drink through, and took my time getting through it all.

Every time I've visited the winery and tasting room, the reception has been pleasant to say the least. Wellington's Syrah is the kind of thing you call your wine buddies over to try after opening a bottle and taking your first sip. Especially the 2002. I still have one last bottle of that, and I'm thinking it'll be perfect with the braised duck I'm cooking up for Thanksgiving.

Since it's time to stock up for 2014 and I don't drink nearly as much as I used to (quitting that job was the best thing I've ever done for my health), I'm in for one. See you when the balsamic comes back, Wine.Woot!

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
SonomaBouliste wrote:BTW: turkeys can fly (at least the wild ones can), and have an amazingly powerful, near vertical, takeoff.

However, the domestic ones raised for consumption this time of year, dropped from a helicopter onto a parking lot in Cincinnati in a T-day promo for (fictional) radio station WKRP, failed the flying test miserably, and fell to the ground "like sacks of wet cement," to quote newsman Les Nessman.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

SonomaBouliste

ddeuddeg wrote:However, the domestic ones raised for consumption this time of year, dropped from a helicopter onto a parking lot in Cincinnati in a T-day promo for (fictional) radio station WKRP, failed the flying test miserably, and fell to the ground "like sacks of wet cement," to quote newsman Les Nessman.

I believe that, sir. I had a friend who worked for a very large turkey breeder. They did, indeed, breed very large turkeys; a coworker of his had to pick up a bird that weighed 90 lbs. He likened it to trying to pick up a garbage bag full of jello.

SonomaBouliste

ddeuddeg wrote:However, the domestic ones raised for consumption this time of year, dropped from a helicopter onto a parking lot in Cincinnati in a T-day promo for (fictional) radio station WKRP, failed the flying test miserably, and fell to the ground "like sacks of wet cement," to quote newsman Les Nessman.

I believe that, sir. I had a friend who worked for a very large turkey breeder. They did, indeed, breed very large turkeys; a coworker of his had to pick up a bird that weighed 90 lbs. He likened it to trying to pick up a garbage bag full of jello.

Oops, sorry about the double post!

drgonzo99

quality posts: 0 Private Messages drgonzo99

Bah! Vermont wants Wellington!!!

chipgreen

quality posts: 195 Private Messages chipgreen

Peter, thanks for answering cellar questions today. How do you feel about the ageability of the '05 thru '07 Estate Zins?

SonomaBouliste

chipgreen wrote:Peter, thanks for answering cellar questions today. How do you feel about the ageability of the '05 thru '07 Estate Zins?

All should be good to at least 12 years from vintage date (4 more years for the '05). They'll probably still be quite enjoyable at 15, but 20 would be a risk.

joeman123

quality posts: 5 Private Messages joeman123

So happy to have a wine fridge. It is full, but the holidays are coming and Wellingtons are awesome to fill it up.

At these prices, they are great for a present for a party, a person who just loves wine. It is a very good value.

In for two, Peter!

How are your cabs selling? I would love to see some cabs on woot sometime soon. They are really your best wines IMO.

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 35 Private Messages fredrinaldi

In Vegas for annual "Thanksgiving"
NO CAB on this offer??? awe come on

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 35 Private Messages fredrinaldi
joeman123 wrote:So happy to have a wine fridge. It is full, but the holidays are coming and Wellingtons are awesome to fill it up.

At these prices, they are great for a present for a party, a person who just loves wine. It is a very good value.

In for two, Peter!

How are your cabs selling? I would love to see some cabs on woot sometime soon. They are really your best wines IMO.

here, here more Cabs......

pdunbarunc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pdunbarunc

So sad, love wellington, but not for GA apparently.

bolligra

quality posts: 33 Private Messages bolligra
SonomaBouliste wrote:You couldn't ask a simple question, could you?

Unfortunately, many aspects of wine quality are both subjective AND highly variable. The 5 -8 y.o. dumb phase is, at best, a generalization for top Bordeaux wines in a "typical" (if we even know what that is anymore) vintage. It certainly isn't a hard and fast rule that can be applied to all red wines. Some will be completely dead before they are 8 y.o., while others may be very backward and tight at 8 y.o. The wine doesn't quit developing; "dumb phase" is typified by a diminution of fruit aroma intensity without a lot of development of complex, secondary aromas ("bouquet"). Most people perceive wines in this stage to be less aromatic ("closed in"). Unfortunately, there is no sure fire way to know when a wine is in a dumb phase other than tasting that particular vintage regularly. Some wines never go through a dumb phase at all.

BTW: turkeys can fly (at least the wild ones can), and have an amazingly powerful, near vertical, takeoff.

Thanks for (somewhat) clearing that up for me. As for your aside, ddeuddeg is spot on! 😺

As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

rjquillin

quality posts: 178 Private Messages rjquillin
NightGhost wrote:Never had a Wellington I didn't like. Autobuy.

Resistance was futile..

CT

losthighwayz

quality posts: 59 Private Messages losthighwayz

PnP a 2008 Englandcrest Syrah since I am very tempted by ttis offer (and trying to convince myself to go in). Fruit sems muted and tannins are green. Not helping me push that button! Peter, is this. the norm? The nose is great, what I like in syrahs (meaty, dark fruits) but the tAste simply isnt matching at this point.....

"The older I get the better I was"

SmilingBoognish

quality posts: 48 Private Messages SmilingBoognish
losthighwayz wrote:PnP a 2008 Englandcrest Syrah since I am very tempted by ttis offer (and trying to convince myself to go in). Fruit sems muted and tannins are green. Not helping me push that button! Peter, is this. the norm? The nose is great, what I like in syrahs (meaty, dark fruits) but the tAste simply isnt matching at this point.....

My experience with other vintages of England Crest Syrah is that you need food with the wine, and that the wine needs more time in the bottle. As mentioned earlier, the difference of 3 or 4 years was remarkable.

rjquillin

Lost, Klez,
check email

CT

klezman

quality posts: 126 Private Messages klezman
SonomaBouliste wrote:If you have aging questions about previous w00t offerings I'll be happy to address those also; just let me know which wine(s).

Hey Peter,
I need to actually write this down this time around, but I'm always stymied when I think about reaching for one of the single-vineyard Cabs. I've got 2005 and 2006 of all 3 and 2007 Karren. Thoughts?
Also, how's the 2005/6/7 Victory doing?
Thanks!

Edit: I see Victory was answered above at 12-15 years from vintage for you, and closer to 20 for rpm.

2014: 42 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2012 Iron Horse Estate Chardonnay
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

SmilingBoognish

quality posts: 48 Private Messages SmilingBoognish
klezman wrote:Hey Peter,
I need to actually write this down this time around, but I'm always stymied when I think about reaching for one of the single-vineyard Cabs. I've got 2005 and 2006 of all 3 and 2007 Karren. Thoughts?

I'm not Peter, but this weekend I did look at some of my Wellington VD cabs, trying to decide on opening one over the holidays. For the 2005's I scrawled 2013-2017 on both the Morhardt Ridge and the Handal-Denier. On the Karren I wrote 2015+. These dates were based on last time Peter answered the questions. His thinking may have evolved, and he is sure to have comments about windows on the '06 and '07 vintages.

rjquillin

Let me add an '03 Karren to the mix, and verify '06~'08 on the Mohrhardt.
And I found a lost 2000 Hulen, as well as a couple '01 and '02 Syrahs.

CT

losthighwayz

quality posts: 59 Private Messages losthighwayz
rjquillin wrote:Lost, Klez,
check email

Replied but my iPad claims your email is invalid. I'll take the 3 Sonoma Zins and one Merlot if Klez ok with it....

"The older I get the better I was"

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus
losthighwayz wrote:PnP a 2008 Englandcrest Syrah since I am very tempted by ttis offer (and trying to convince myself to go in). Fruit sems muted and tannins are green. Not helping me push that button! Peter, is this. the norm? The nose is great, what I like in syrahs (meaty, dark fruits) but the tAste simply isnt matching at this point.....

Klez and I both had off bottles of that wine.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

toddly_35

quality posts: 0 Private Messages toddly_35

What the heck happened to shipping to georgia! Is this a cruel joke I can't get my Wellington fix anymore?

rjquillin

losthighwayz wrote:Replied but my iPad claims your email is invalid. I'll take the 3 Sonoma Zins and one Merlot if Klez ok with it....

you need to fix you ipad, email arrived.

CT

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 168 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

toddly_35 wrote:What the heck happened to shipping to georgia! Is this a cruel joke I can't get my Wellington fix anymore?

Wine.Woot is currently not able to offer wine deals in certain states, but will be opening up additional states as laws and regulations regarding selling wine online continue to evolve.

You're welcome to also check out this thread to discuss and talk about current Wine Shipping Laws

acompdude

quality posts: 2 Private Messages acompdude

Onerous Massive Family Gathering! I just went to buy this and Georgia is not on the list. Georgia is almost always on the list of states to ship to. Man this sucks!!!

mikegberg

quality posts: 56 Private Messages mikegberg

Anyone still waiting for this? Mine had an original delivery date of Saturday 12/7, but has not been scanned since arriving at the FedEx location on 12/3. Destination is suburban NY.

I know the recent storms have been holding things up, but I would have at least expected a departure scan by now.

"There are more old wine drinkers than old doCTors." -François Rabelais

yellclimber

quality posts: 1 Private Messages yellclimber

Mine arrive, but at least two bottles were damaged. The corks were pushed out of the top and wine was leaking. It was really cold in WY, so maybe the shipment froze in the delivery truck enroute. I sent a note to customer service, but I haven't gotten an acknowledgment that they received it. How long does it usually take to hear back from them? Thanks.