cortot20

quality posts: 162 Private Messages cortot20

I'm responsible for wine for my family of 6's thanksgiving dinner. They are doing turkey.
I was considering a PN, a zin and a light and a heavier white. I haven't decided on the white bottles yet. I may swap one of these for a rose.

How about the rest of you?

CT

karenhynes

quality posts: 11 Private Messages karenhynes

I'm having dinner with some friends. I suspect there will be 20-40 people in and out for the afternoon/evening. I was instructed not to bring anything, so naturally I am making an apple pie and will bring some pinot and a rose...maybe an eis wine...

Wine is bottled poetry - Robert Louis Stevenson

pseudogourmet98

quality posts: 19 Private Messages pseudogourmet98

So glad to see this as I was considering starting a similar thread.

I too am considering PN and Zins for red, but am coming up blank on white. I know that Reisling is good all-purpose turkey day white, but no one in our usual crowd wants it. Any/all suggestions appreciated.

karenhynes

quality posts: 11 Private Messages karenhynes
pseudogourmet98 wrote:So glad to see this as I was considering starting a similar thread.

I too am considering PN and Zins for red, but am coming up blank on white. I know that Reisling is good all-purpose turkey day white, but no one in our usual crowd wants it. Any/all suggestions appreciated.

I like to stick with aromatic whites (but stay on the dry side)....Riesling, Gewurztraminer, Viognier.

Wine is bottled poetry - Robert Louis Stevenson

kylemittskus

quality posts: 233 Private Messages kylemittskus
pseudogourmet98 wrote:So glad to see this as I was considering starting a similar thread.

Me too.

Riesling is an easy decision: absolutely. It's one of the wines on the list for one of our three dinners. At that same dinner, a German wine from my dads collection. It's a relatively cheap ($20/ L bottle from Chamber's) but nice wine he loves called Trollinger. At dinner two, not sure. Dinner three: PN, Turley Zin, and a Halćon Prado.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

UBlink

quality posts: 19 Private Messages UBlink

My go-to is Pinot. Pinot Noir for red, and a nice Oregon Pinot Gris for white. King Estate is dependable, their Acrobat label is also a good value.

Following the eight word profile, political economy in eight words:
Ain't no free lunch - them what has gets.

kylemittskus

UBlink wrote:My go-to is Pinot. Pinot Noir for red, and a nice Oregon Pinot Gris for white. King Estate is dependable, their Acrobat label is also a good value.

I cannot get behind Pinot Gris. I find it so bland and watery.

rjquillin

quality posts: 189 Private Messages rjquillin
kylemittskus wrote:I cannot get behind Pinot Gris. I find it so bland and watery.

but the Halćon Prado is a no brainer.

CT

UBlink

quality posts: 19 Private Messages UBlink
kylemittskus wrote:I cannot get behind Pinot Gris. I find it so bland and watery.

I agree on most, but I've found a lot more depth and complexity in the Oregon ones. No comparison to the off-dry Pinot Grigios.

Following the eight word profile, political economy in eight words:
Ain't no free lunch - them what has gets.

klezman

quality posts: 130 Private Messages klezman

I've had some excellent ones from Sonoma. Balletto comes to mind.

2014: 57 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2011 Wellington Cab & Merlot, Roessler 2009 Bluejay, 2010 Bell Cabernet
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

neilfindswine

quality posts: 173 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

Gewurtz is a favorite white of mine for t-day.

I usually open a Crémant de Bourgogne or some other bubbles, pink ones usually, to help me prepare the bird. And a nice Pinot at dinner.

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

cortot20

Decided on the following
10' inspiration vineyards Alexander valley zin.
11' municipal winemakers sta. rita hills morrman vineyard PN
12' pine ridge Chenin blanc + Viognier
11' valley of the moon Sonoma valley Pinot blanc

CT

noslensj

quality posts: 47 Private Messages noslensj

I used to feel the same way, until I tried a Pinot Gris from the Facelli family in Woodinville. AFter trying that I realized that it was just because I hadn't been trying good ones.

I will readily concede that proportionally there may be more fewer good Pinots gris than other varietals. But in the hands of someone who has good grapes and knows what to do with them, Pinot gris can be quite elegant.

neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

cortot20 wrote:Decided on the following
10' inspiration vineyards Alexander valley zin.
11' municipal winemakers sta. rita hills morrman vineyard PN
12' pine ridge Chenin blanc + Viognier
11' valley of the moon Sonoma valley Pinot blanc

nice lineup. That Municipal Pinot looks interesting. The Pine Ridge is one of the most interesting $12 whites at the store...never disappoints, IMHO.

chukon99

quality posts: 4 Private Messages chukon99

We'll probably open the following:

- L. Mawby sparkler
- Left Foot Charley dry riesling
- Windy Oaks pinot noir

We might swap out the riesling for a traminette, though. Just depends on our mood at the time.

cortot20

neilfindswine wrote:nice lineup. That Municipal Pinot looks interesting. The Pine Ridge is one of the most interesting $12 whites at the store...never disappoints, IMHO.

I've talked to dave potter who runs municipal a couple of times about offering his wines on woot to broaden his audience and he always comes back with "I barely make enough for my club and TR". But fingers crossed for the future.

CT

neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

cortot20 wrote:I've talked to dave potter who runs municipal a couple of times about offering his wines on woot to broaden his audience and he always comes back with "I barely make enough for my club and TR". But fingers crossed for the future.

We've tried too. Fingers crossed!

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj

I've picked out the following, but I usually change the choices a time or two before the day actually arrives:

2006 Torii Mor Deux Verres Pinot Noir

2009 Domaine Ostertag Clos Mathis Riesling

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

slm9951

quality posts: 14 Private Messages slm9951

Considering Chateau Morrisette dry rose- one of the few Va wines I will drink.

mommadeb1

quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1

I have to have some sweet wine for some of my guests... a Moscato usually or a sweet Riesling. For the red drinkers... it all depends.. for a select few.. I will open some of my "good stuff" ie. Scott Harvey or Wellington... others I will share my Pedroncelli with...I did get some ports to share.. but for the most part they like to raid my wine fridges and try new stuff... I have marked with a silver sharpie an "X" on the bottles I won't share ie... Prager....

slm9951

mommadeb1 wrote:I have to have some sweet wine for some of my guests... a Moscato usually or a sweet Riesling. For the red drinkers... it all depends.. for a select few.. I will open some of my "good stuff" ie. Scott Harvey or Wellington... others I will share my Pedroncelli with...I did get some ports to share.. but for the most part they like to raid my wine fridges and try new stuff... I have marked with a silver sharpie an "X" on the bottles I won't share ie... Prager....

Oooh!! Can I come for thanksgiving?

mommadeb1

slm9951 wrote:Oooh!! Can I come for thanksgiving?

sure!! I think we are up to 38..so what's a few more?!

chipgreen

quality posts: 207 Private Messages chipgreen
slm9951 wrote:Considering Chateau Morrisette dry rose- one of the few Va wines I will drink.

We visited 14 VA wineries over 4 days in early October and enjoyed many of the wines. Have you tried Stinson's Mourvedre Rosé? That and Early Mountain's Rosé (80/20 Merlot/Malbec) were standouts. Unfortunately we didn't make it to Chateau Morrisette. The only winery we visited that wasn't part of the Monticello wine trail was Barren Ridge.

As for my own Thanksgiving wines, am going to keep it simple with an '07 Lang Zinfandel and '07 Radog Riesling.

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22

We will be at the mercy of our guests who are bringing wine. And we have guests that know wine, so we are in good hands. I intend to be prepared to supplement. Have an off-dry Gewurtz for before dinner if needed. One friend is planning to bring some pinot for the meal, and I will have some Zinfandel, and probably Reisling, on deck as well. And maybe close with a bottle of vintage port.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

kylemittskus

:Wednesday Thanksgiving:
-2007 Von Hövel Oberemmeler Hütte Riesling Spätlese
-Knauss 2012 Württemberg Trollinger

Thursday Thanksgiving:
-NV Veuve Clicquot

Friday Thanksgivig:
-2011 Halcon Prado
-Latecia bubbles (not sure which)
-2009 Coleman Nicole Pinot Noir Morris Ranch Vineyard
-some kind of dessert wine

mommadeb1

oh and I forgot one of our traditions.. during the making of thursday's dinner...I make Bellinis....

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 35 Private Messages ddeuddeg
polarbear22 wrote:We will be at the mercy of our guests who are bringing wine. And we have guests that know wine, so we are in good hands. I intend to be prepared to supplement. Have an off-dry Gewurtz for before dinner if needed. One friend is planning to bring some pinot for the meal, and I will have some Zinfandel, and probably Reisling, on deck as well. And maybe close with a bottle of vintage port.

You won't need the Gewürz, if we're drinking the Iron Horse bubbly I'm bringing.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

slm9951

chipgreen wrote:We visited 14 VA wineries over 4 days in early October and enjoyed many of the wines. Have you tried Stinson's Mourvedre Rosé? That and Early Mountain's Rosé (80/20 Merlot/Malbec) were standouts. Unfortunately we didn't make it to Chateau Morrisette. The only winery we visited that wasn't part of the Monticello wine trail was Barren Ridge.

As for my own Thanksgiving wines, am going to keep it simple with an '07 Lang Zinfandel and '07 Radog Riesling.

I have not tried those mentioned. Chateau Morrisette is way over in the south west quadrant of the state. You were on a great wine trail!! CM is actually sold in some of the grocery stores around here but the dry rose is only available at their winery. Your choices sound wise and delicious.

polarbear22

ddeuddeg wrote:You won't need the Gewürz, if we're drinking the Iron Horse bubbly I'm bringing.

Planning on drinking it. Truly, just in case. And it will be there for some other night.

Not to worry, we aren't going to turn down Iron Horse.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
My Cellar

ddeuddeg

polarbear22 wrote:And maybe close with a bottle of vintage port.

Or maybe some icewine.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

rjquillin

quality posts: 189 Private Messages rjquillin
ddeuddeg wrote:Or maybe some icewine.

Sauternes?

CT

polarbear22

ddeuddeg wrote:Or maybe some icewine.

I have a bottle of my homemade ice wine. And we can look at my other dessert whites. Nice to have some input, and you know your cheesecake.

My Cellar

michael103055

quality posts: 0 Private Messages michael103055
cortot20 wrote:I'm responsible for wine for my family of 6's thanksgiving dinner. They are doing turkey.
I was considering a PN, a zin and a light and a heavier white. I haven't decided on the white bottles yet. I may swap one of these for a rose.

How about the rest of you?

Sounds like a very nice lineup Cortot.
My wife and I will be having around 15 folks over, and this year I am responsible for the ham being served (she has the bird).I have decided on the old "poor man's burgundy" for this year, Cru Beaujolais.Picked up some magnums of 2009 Clos de la Roilette-Fleurie a couple of years back, and I am excited to see how this vintage may have changed in the last 2 years.
My wife is pairing the bird with Clean Slate Riesling, one of our favorites, as it is not too sweet. After dinner will be a LBV Warre's 2001 port. Not a great port by any means, but a solid one, and I have 2 bottles left that I think are probably at their peak. So why not share them with friends?
Hope everyone has a fun,and safe holiday!

ddeuddeg

polarbear22 wrote:I have a bottle of my homemade ice wine. And we can look at my other dessert whites. Nice to have some input, and you know your cheesecake.

Yeah, sorry about the cheesecake falling victim to the weather-forced early departure.

polarbear22

ddeuddeg wrote:Yeah, sorry about the cheesecake falling victim to the weather-forced early departure.

So it goes. Take it safe.

My Cellar