MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

PoSt away Folks!!!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

cjsiege wrote:List of previous WW gatherings by area.
New list in the Gatherings tab and Old list in the Community tab. Great reading and great examples of how to set up a Get-Together Thread.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Upcoming Woot Wine Gatherings…All The News for the week of November 17
Counting down to Thanksgiving -- and the various Black Friday Get-togethers... Attend or Host a Get-Together in your area!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

November
11/29: NoVA/DC #30: 5th Annual Leftovers Feasting
11/29: Connecticut #?: Black Friday/White Bear
TBD: October Trip to Taldeschi, Hawley & Handal

January
TBD: Buffalo/WNY #11: Icewine Festival

Summer
TBD: 2014 RPM History Tour Interest Thread

Pending
TBD: Atlanta #1
TBD: NYC Tasting #??: A Tribute (interest thread)
TBD: NorCal #?: Open invitation to the New Muscardini Tasting Room

No events in your area??? Start one! Create an interest thread in the GATHERINGS Community Tab.

So join or create a WW Gathering!

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

rjquillin

quality posts: 173 Private Messages rjquillin

x-post from last weeks pub

Hoping all in the mid-west and north-east fared well today.
Reports are that many will be without power for an extended time.
Hoping all is still standing and those affected safe.

CT

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22

Oh snap. I posted in the old pub. Better get this back on top before Cat finds out. Though JW may still be in the room, and haven't talked to him in ages.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith
polarbear22 wrote:Gotta share my good fortune. I was able to score some rare Pappy Van Winkle this morning. E-mail late last night, went to the local store at 8 AM and was in luck. Don't know why this is so hard to find, but now I have some.

I want some just because of its history.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

vaaccess

quality posts: 17 Private Messages vaaccess
otolith wrote:I want some just because of its history.

So at one point I wanted to be cool and got some scotch that someone that drinks it a lot said was good. I can't drink it...Just too peety for me. Is bourbon and whiskey going to be the same? I used to drink 7n7 back in the day and that's really the only way I could drink it, but haven't really tried it since...Maybe I need to?

I'm more of a gin/tonic kinda guy, Hendrichs being the best gin on the planet that I've tried anyway...

Oh and I like sipping Tequila.

Wine Cooler (Image) currently at 47% of Capacity

My Current Inventory on CellarTracker

otolith

vaaccess wrote:So at one point I wanted to be cool and got some scotch that someone that drinks it a lot said was good. I can't drink it...Just too peety for me. Is bourbon and whiskey going to be the same? I used to drink 7n7 back in the day and that's really the only way I could drink it, but haven't really tried it since...Maybe I need to?

I'm more of a gin/tonic kinda guy, Hendrichs being the best gin on the planet that I've tried anyway...

I'm not much of a Scotch or Tequila or hard liquor type of person. Like you, I'm a gin and tonic or even a margarita type person.

That said, I have had some Cognac that is incredible, and do have some Scotch at home, that if I drink in a super small amount, I find interesting. The alcohol, however, usually does me in and is overwhelming. So, I usually stick to wine, or beer.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

bahwm

quality posts: 29 Private Messages bahwm
rjquillin wrote:x-post from last weeks pub

We're good except for part of the sewer line that needs to be replaced. They're coming to dig tomorrow and replace the line with PVC! There goes the wallet!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

vaaccess

otolith wrote:I'm not much of a Scotch or Tequila or hard liquor type of person. Like you, I'm a gin and tonic or even a margarita type person.

That said, I have had some Cognac that is incredible, and do have some Scotch at home, if, I drink in a super small amount, I find interesting. The alcohol, however, usually does me in and is overwhelming. So, I usually stick to wine, or beer.

I'm with you on margaritas...I make an awesome batch. Soon I'll be making it with the Anejo tequila I am making/aging and then it might just get to mind-blowing status when that stuff is ready!

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
vaaccess wrote:So at one point I wanted to be cool and got some scotch that someone that drinks it a lot said was good. I can't drink it...Just too peety for me. Is bourbon and whiskey going to be the same? I used to drink 7n7 back in the day and that's really the only way I could drink it, but haven't really tried it since...Maybe I need to?

Some scotch (Speyside and Islay) is peaty. If you like the profile otherwise, you could try some Highlands scotch. Bourbon is not peaty at all since they don't smoke peat to impart the flavor. Two totally different animals. Try a good bourbon and see what you think. I love both, but I tend to drink more bourbon than scotch.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

otolith

My comment casserolein' about the shippin' got removed from the main thread...

Best to just not even look at the main thread I guess, not that I need more wine, it's more the fact that I can't buy it that is irritating.

--John Muir

chipgreen

quality posts: 187 Private Messages chipgreen
rjquillin wrote:x-post from last weeks pub

Thanks, got lucky here in NE Ohio. Some tree limbs down in the neighborhood and I saw a flattened flagpole but nothing major.
EDIT: The worst damage I got yesterday was from the wishbone that ran over my mailbox. I propped it back up but as soon as the snow flies the street plow will be knocking it down again.

otolith

vaaccess wrote:I'm with you on margaritas...I make an awesome batch. Soon I'll be making it with the Anejo tequila I am making/aging and then it might just get to mind-blowing status when that stuff is ready!

Haven't made much for margaritas at home, just usually when we go to a Mexican place for dinner. I can make a pretty mean mojito, however.

--John Muir

MarkDaSpark

polarbear22 wrote:Oh snap. I posted in the old pub. Better get this back on top before Cat finds out. Though JW may still be in the room, and haven't talked to him in ages.

Hi-Time has the Jefferson Pres for $130 too.

They also have A.H. Hirsch Reserve 16 yr for only $1,200 (yes, you read that right). Evidently the last remaining bottles of a small batch, it includes a mahogany Humidor, and a custom made heavy-metal T-Cork. The bottle is hand-blown and numbered.

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
otolith wrote:My comment casserolein' about the shippin' got removed from the main thread...

Best to just not even look at the main thread I guess, not that I need more wine, it's more the fact that I can't buy it that is irritating.

There has been a lot of completely unnecessary deletion of posts recently that is...well BS.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

vaaccess

North316 wrote:There has been a lot of completely unnecessary deletion of posts recently that is...well BS.

Very interesting...

kylemittskus

This was some good sleuthing:

capitalsfn wrote:Anyone looking for label details: https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonline/viewColaDetails.do?action=publicFormDisplay&ttbid=13221001000254

I'm wondering if a Rose will be the next Woot cellars offering? https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonline/viewColaDetails.do?action=publicFormDisplay&ttbid=13253001000186

vaaccess

kylemittskus wrote:This was some good sleuthing:

No doubt...Great stuff.

MarkDaSpark

otolith wrote:I want some just because of its history.

You can buy a used (i.e., empty) bottle on Ebay for $110! I'm not kidding either.

Zephyress

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Zephyress
kylemittskus wrote:Some scotch (Speyside and Islay) is peaty. If you like the profile otherwise, you could try some Highlands scotch. Bourbon is not peaty at all since they don't smoke peat to impart the flavor. Two totally different animals. Try a good bourbon and see what you think. I love both, but I tend to drink more bourbon than scotch.

Hmm. I don't think of Speyside scotch as peaty at all. Islays are, certainly, and I would group Talisker, Oban, and Highland Park with them.

MarkDaSpark

I too, back in my college days, drank 7&7, as well as (shh!) Yukon Jack and Wild Turkey. Part of it was grandpa giving us kids a microscopic amount of whiskey in a glass with a lot of 7-Up. And maybe some Rum & Coca-Cola.

I prefer Hendrick's to other gins as well.

There are different types of Scotch, Blended and Single Malt. Single Malts usually are more "peaty" than Blended. Try Famous Grouse, which is my favorite blended Scotch. My son and BiL like Glenlivet.

Some Irish Whiskeys also use peat in their distilling, but aren't as bad as the Single Malts. Jameson, Bushmills, & Red Breast are my favorite Irish whiskeys.

I think someone noted that most American & Canadian whiskeys don't use peat, so they won't have that smokey taste (for the most part).

Whiskey can be made from a variety of grains including corn, wheat, barley and rye. IIRC, Bourbon is mostly restricted to those Whiskeys made in Kentucky, but can be made elsewhere in the US. Bourbon is usually made from at least 51% corn, where Rye Whiskeys are 51% rye. Malt Whiskeys are 51% malted barley.

So you should be safe with Bourbon or Rye Whiskeys.

Just be aware that lately, more experimentation is done with barrels, where they use Sherry, Port, or other barrels that were used for wine, to impart different flavors to the Whiskey or Scotch.

Edit: I left a small amount (probably 1/3 of the bottle) of Concannon Irish Whiskey (barrels were from Petite Sirah wine) at Mom's for when we visit her. Normally she doesn't drink spirits, but she drank that one!!

mommadeb1

quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1
otolith wrote:Haven't made much for margaritas at home, just usually when we go to a Mexican place for dinner. I can make a pretty mean mojito, however.

ymmm homemade mojitos!!

mommadeb1

I need everyone's positive energy.... We are doing a "Biggest Looser" competition at work... There is a first, second and third place. Final weigh in is this Friday.... I have done well the past 11 weeks... just don't want to "self sabotage" myself... I would like to loose another 2-4# this week... so,by me telling ya'll about this, I am hoping to really push myself these last 4 days!!

MarkDaSpark

Carp ... Woot-Off on Black Friday and Cyber Monday.

mommadeb1

MarkDaSpark wrote:Carp ... Woot-Off on Black Friday and Cyber Monday.

aggggggggggggggggggggggggghhhhh

otolith

North316 wrote:There has been a lot of completely unnecessary deletion of posts recently that is...well BS.

Yep, prolly best to stay out of the main threads. If I really wanted it I could ship it to my sister in NE, but that just seems ridiculous...

--John Muir

chemvictim

quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim

I killed my oven today. Tucked it in for a nice self clean, and two hours later it was dead.

On the phone with customer service, the lady keeps saying "just wait until it cools down." No. He's dead, Jim.

otolith

chemvictim wrote:I killed my oven today. Tucked it in for a nice self clean, and two hours later it was dead.

On the phone with customer service, the lady keeps saying "just wait until it cools down." No. He's dead, Jim.

That's worse than mommadeb! Also, you haven't had that oven that long. How does it already need a self clean? lol

--John Muir

mommadeb1

chemvictim wrote:I killed my oven today. Tucked it in for a nice self clean, and two hours later it was dead.

My moms oven did that a few times...they had to replace the sensor a few times.....finally had to replace it.. thank goodness for extended warranty!

bahwm

mommadeb1 wrote:My moms oven did that a few times...they had to replace the sensor a few times.....finally had to replace it.. thank goodness for extended warranty!

Ah, so you come by it honestly!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

edthebedhead

quality posts: 4 Private Messages edthebedhead
kylemittskus wrote:Some scotch (Speyside and Islay) is peaty. If you like the profile otherwise, you could try some Highlands scotch. Bourbon is not peaty at all since they don't smoke peat to impart the flavor. Two totally different animals. Try a good bourbon and see what you think. I love both, but I tend to drink more bourbon than scotch.

I've been trying some Whiskey's lately, and I really enjoy this one - it is a whiskey - but it has some lovely scotch-y notes to it, without being a peat/smoke bomb.

Stranahan's. From Colorado.

Edit:
Hooray toothy! Tooth #1 was the first wine I was ratted for! Great stuff.

chemvictim

otolith wrote:That's worse than mommadeb! Also, you haven't had that oven that long. How does it already need a self clean? lol

We made a mess. lol

chemvictim

mommadeb1 wrote:My moms oven did that a few times...they had to replace the sensor a few times.....finally had to replace it.. thank goodness for extended warranty!

Maybe I need to get the extended warranty. I do it under protest, since I think giblet ought to just work. This oven is less than 3 months old. As soon as it's fixed, I'm running the self clean cycle again, just to see.

kylemittskus

chemvictim wrote:Maybe I need to get the extended warranty. I do it under protest, since I think giblet ought to just work. This oven is less than 3 months old. As soon as it's fixed, I'm running the self clean cycle again, just to see.

If you have AmEx (everyone should!), they extend your warranties an extra year, assuming the original warranty is at least a year.

vaaccess

mommadeb1 wrote:I need everyone's positive energy.... We are doing a "Biggest Looser" competition at work... There is a first, second and third place. Final weigh in is this Friday.... I have done well the past 11 weeks... just don't want to "self sabotage" myself... I would like to loose another 2-4# this week... so,by me telling ya'll about this, I am hoping to really push myself these last 4 days!!

Good luck!

My unprofessional advice...
Drink PLENTY of water, especially drink a glass of water before you eat to help you feel full. If you want to reduce your calorie intake, eat lots of vegetables. They'll fill you up with volume, but are low on the calories. Also be sure to reduce your oil intake. I've gone to just using vinegar on salads to reduce the calories.

I'll be honest...I had been struggling losing the weight I wanted and knew that I wasn't eating as healthy as I could. I watched a documentary called "Forks not Knives" and found it to be really interesting. Since then, I've really changed things a lot and have in turn lost more weight. I'm basically 70% vegetarian at this point, sometimes vegan. And haven't had any red meat in about three weeks now. My goal is to get to the point where I don't need high-cholesterol medication any more and ideally remove the need for acid-reflux meds, too. And, to get back to my college weight...So far, looking good. It's an every day/every meal kind of smart decision making adventure that you have to take yourself on.

I recently read a book called, "The Compound Effect" by Hardy (http://www.amazon.com/Compound-Effect-Darren-Hardy/dp/159315724X/) that I found to be incredibly valuable. It talks about easy things you can do to be successful at anything. I've since given copies of the book to my family and very close friends because I think it has the ability to help everyone do anything they want to do. I would encourage everyone to read it...

chemvictim

kylemittskus wrote:If you have AmEx (everyone should!), they extend your warranties an extra year, assuming the original warranty is at least a year.

I don't have AmEx. I used to have one which I managed perfectly, then they cancelled my card because of an unrelated negative item on my credit report (it was an error and I got it removed after, but it was too late). I had a high limit and low balance on that card, so my debt utilization ratio shot up. That started a ridiculous chain reaction. My BoA card dropped my limit to just above my balance. My citibank card (which I had a huge balance) raised my rate to somewhere up in the 20's unless I closed the account, which I did.

This was in 2006, and I think there were some issues with credit in general that year. I was coming off almost a year of unemployment after grad school and moving to a very high-cost area to take a job with a salary of less than 60k. I had high credit card balances which I stupidly racked up during grad school, but never any late payments. It could have gone badly, but thankfully it did not, since I could get fired for having bad credit.

AmEx still sends me offers for prepaid cards to rebuild my credit, although I have a very good credit score and zero negative items. I still hate them.

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
polarbear22 wrote:Oh snap. I posted in the old pub. Better get this back on top before Cat finds out. Though JW may still be in the room, and haven't talked to him in ages.

Is that what that smell is... Should send a hazmat team in to clean up...

I'm slow these days. Mistakes are easily corrected

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

bahwm

The plumbing job is sooooo much worse than we expected! They had to dig a trench 15 feet deep in front of the house. Roots have impacted the sewer drain. They are going to have to dig all the way to the sewer box in the right of way and even take out some of the concrete in the front walk. As long as they're doing all of this, we may as well have the water line replaced. What the heck, it's only our money and our health! They will replace the water line with copper. I'll be taking the day off again tomorrow. If it has to go into Thursday, it's ddeuddeg's turn! He took one day off already.

vaaccess

bahwm wrote:The plumbing job is sooooo much worse than we expected! They had to dig a trench 15 feet deep in front of the house. Roots have impacted the sewer drain. They are going to have to dig all the way to the sewer box in the right of way and even take out some of the concrete in the front walk. As long as they're doing all of this, we may as well have the water line replaced. What the heck, it's only our money and our health! They will replace the water line with copper. I'll be taking the day off again tomorrow. If it has to go into Thursday, it's ddeuddeg's turn! He took one day off already.

Brutal...!!!

mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother
bahwm wrote:The plumbing job is sooooo much worse than we expected! They had to dig a trench 15 feet deep in front of the house. Roots have impacted the sewer drain. They are going to have to dig all the way to the sewer box in the right of way and even take out some of the concrete in the front walk. As long as they're doing all of this, we may as well have the water line replaced. What the heck, it's only our money and our health! They will replace the water line with copper. I'll be taking the day off again tomorrow. If it has to go into Thursday, it's ddeuddeg's turn! He took one day off already.

Pain in the neck! I hope there was no satanic toilet/floor drain involvement during the discovery period...

Replacing the water line while you're at it sounds like a no brainer- so sorry you're going through this!