12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

Cesare

quality posts: 1561 Private Messages Cesare

Woot Cellars Tøøthstejnn The Red Cabernet Franc 4-Pack
$49.99
2009 Woot Cellars Tøøthstejnn The Red, The Grimy Wyvern Wine-Hall Cabernet Franc
CT link above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

rjquillin

quality posts: 168 Private Messages rjquillin

It's woot cellars.
It's a Cab Franc.
Is everybody asleep already?

CT

boingo707

quality posts: 1 Private Messages boingo707

Haven't seen a Woot Cellars in a long time. In for 1

wilcononomous

quality posts: 20 Private Messages wilcononomous

zzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZ
huh... What?

chipgreen

quality posts: 177 Private Messages chipgreen
rjquillin wrote:It's woot cellars.
It's a Cab Franc.
Is everybody asleep already?

Some of us just live in the wrong state.

tiger7610

quality posts: 17 Private Messages tiger7610

Anyone want to split the offer? I'm in Upstate NY Also does the rule of thumb apply? Wait a year to drink this?

03wrbwrx

quality posts: 1 Private Messages 03wrbwrx

How would this do as an xmas gift?

blm00

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blm00
tiger7610 wrote:Anyone want to split the offer? I'm in Upstate NY Also does the rule of thumb apply? Wait a year to drink this?

I am also upstate, but upstate is kind of big. You could PM me to tell me where you are if you want and maybe we could figure something out.

aequitas111

quality posts: 2 Private Messages aequitas111

Come on, somebody convince me to spend more money on wine. At least this one. I'm sure I'll clear room for 4 more bottles by the time this ships.

aequitas111

quality posts: 2 Private Messages aequitas111

Up for splitting in Las Vegas Nv as well. PM me.

time2testit

quality posts: 14 Private Messages time2testit

Are we to assume this is this year's customary holiday Woot label offering or will there be other(s)? And Cab Franc!

(Edit: And congrats to rjq for first sucker!)

Winedavid39

quality posts: 196 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

I can't say where this came from, but the QPR is unmistakable.

swmbo

quality posts: 4 Private Messages swmbo
chipgreen wrote:Some of us just live in the wrong state.

I think this is the smallest state list I have ever seen on a Woot Cellar. . This will be the first one I am going to miss in three or four years.

46&2

quality posts: 7 Private Messages 46&2

I haven't made a purchase in a while, but I may have to grab this, the original was the first Woot Cellar wine I bought. I think I still have one or two in my collection. I opened a bottle around a year ago and it was pretty damn solid.

webdev511

quality posts: 37 Private Messages webdev511

This is exactly the kind of deal where I'm in for three provided it can be shipped to Minnesota, which it cannot, so maybe in for ZERO.

coolchris160

quality posts: 47 Private Messages coolchris160
webdev511 wrote:This is exactly the kind of deal where I'm in for three provided it can be shipped to Minnesota, which it cannot, so maybe in for ZERO.

Those of us in MN might have to find someone to wootleg with in Iowa. I hope WW can get the ability to ship to MN again, sooner rather than later.

chipgreen

quality posts: 177 Private Messages chipgreen

Summary of recent wine.woot shipping restrictions HERE.

klezman

quality posts: 119 Private Messages klezman

Decent specs, Cesare has pegged an unknown (to me) winery. What to do, what to do...anybody have some notes they can share? WD/Neil...notes on the wine and comments on the style?

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan
Winedavid39 wrote:I can't say where this came from, but the QPR is unmistakable.

How much bell pepper is in this one? And does it lean to the vegetal side? I prefer ones that don't go too heavy that way.

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 174 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

cjsiege wrote:List of previous WW gatherings by area.
New list in the Gatherings tab and Old list in the Community tab. Great reading and great examples of how to set up a Get-Together Thread.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Upcoming Woot Wine Gatherings…All The News for the week of November 17
Counting down to Thanksgiving -- and the various Black Friday Get-togethers... Attend or Host a Get-Together in your area!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

November
11/29: NoVA/DC #30: 5th Annual Leftovers Feasting
11/29: Connecticut #?: Black Friday/White Bear
TBD: October Trip to Taldeschi, Hawley & Handal

January
TBD: Buffalo/WNY #11: Icewine Festival

Summer
TBD: 2014 RPM History Tour Interest Thread

Pending
TBD: Atlanta #1
TBD: NYC Tasting #??: A Tribute (interest thread)
TBD: NorCal #?: Open invitation to the New Muscardini Tasting Room

No events in your area??? Start one! Create an interest thread in the GATHERINGS Community Tab.

So join or create a WW Gathering!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

swmbo wrote:I think this is the smallest state list I have ever seen on a Woot Cellar. . This will be the first one I am going to miss in three or four years.

Remember that it's not always Woot, but it could be that the Winery hasn't signed up for more states yet.

Wine.Woot uses the Winery's license to ship, and if they don't have a license, WW won't ship to that state.

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

tiger7610 wrote:Anyone want to split the offer? I'm in Upstate NY Also does the rule of thumb apply? Wait a year to drink this?

Not necessarily, D'ontspille Le Black was good right away.

Merlynxlii

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Merlynxlii

Has anyone tasted this and is willing to share notes? How are the tannins presenting themselves?

pseudogourmet98

quality posts: 15 Private Messages pseudogourmet98
Merlynxlii wrote:Has anyone tasted this and is willing to share notes?

I think some patience here may be rewarded.

pseudogourmet98

quality posts: 15 Private Messages pseudogourmet98

Specs say it pairs well with Vella Dry Jack Cheese. Any possibility the Vella will appear in a surprise Monday plus offer? Not holding my breath, but I think I'll wait until after 10:00 to pull the trigger on this.

confusedemmy

quality posts: 21 Private Messages confusedemmy
Winedavid39 wrote:I can't say where this came from, but the QPR is unmistakable.

So, David is saying he can't say where this comes from. The front label says RRV (and I do wish I could see the back). Cesare indicates this is from Tommy Town Vineyards - which has an AVA of Happy Canyon in Santa Barbara.

This is about as clear as mud.

i3udfrog16

quality posts: 0 Private Messages i3udfrog16

WD
is this the Christmas/holiday woot cellars release. Do u guys no longer do those Christmas themed ones ? Like humbug etc.
I'd appreciate any insight. Thanks

Jim

Humbugx24/Montinore Est/Poizin Triox18/Polyphemusx3/Kent Rasmussen/Elvis 4pk/Mosaic Sonoma /G Saké by SakéOne/Castle Quartet/Vina Robles Quartet/Monkey Prize/Vino Noceto Trio/Jepson Mix/JanKris Trio

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22

TASTING NOTE

A bottle of this arrived unheralded on Friday. We let it rest to open with leftover beef short ribs on Saturday as a likely better match.

Let me start by saying that I am usually not the biggest fan of Cabernet Franc on its own. This wine makes me think again.

This was a deep, dark red. The nose starts with green vegetal notes, mainly the green pepper that I associate with Cab Franc. But with fruit and floral notes as well. There were floral notes with dark fruit, mainly plum, on the palate. This had a real nice acidity, especially when paired with the beef short ribs that we were having for dinner. But it was not too acidic to sip on its own to finish off the bottle, which we did.

I looked up the characteristics of Cab Franc, though I can't find the website that I use for wine varietals, so this was looking at several sites. The floral notes are typically violet. Since it has been a while since I smelled a violet, and never tasting one, I can't assert that the floral notes were violet, but it does sound reasonable. And, of course, the green bell pepper.

This opened up nicely over the time we had it open. It hangs together very well. It has a little more age at release than many Woot Cellar wines, and that seems to help. This should have a good drinking window, but it does not need a year or more before you open. Just a decent decant.

Now to check shipping states ...

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

polarbear22

I don't think so. Not as young on release as some, and it drank very well with just an hour decant.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
My Cellar

polarbear22

redwinefan wrote:How much bell pepper is in this one? And does it lean to the vegetal side? I prefer ones that don't go too heavy that way.

I did not think this was too vegetal. Same thing I don't like in Cab Franc. There is some of course, but nicely balanced with fruit.

My Cellar

polarbear22

Wish I had thought to take a photo of the back label. And now I am at work. I assume I am not the only one to stumble on a bottle, so hopefully someone else will make it happen.

Another good job WD.

My Cellar

polarbear22

Does anyone know if this is 100% Cab Franc?

My Cellar

cortot20

quality posts: 130 Private Messages cortot20

In for a set. May or may not gift this depending on how much I like them.

CT

sdilullo

quality posts: 36 Private Messages sdilullo
i3udfrog16 wrote:WD
is this the Christmas/holiday woot cellars release. Do u guys no longer do those Christmas themed ones ? Like humbug etc.
I'd appreciate any insight. Thanks

Jim

+1

We need our annual gift wine! I'm gonna have to Wootleg this to family out of state...

my CT | bottles wooted to date: 249
my flying adventures | a mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway will take you anywhere.

lamcjunk

quality posts: 6 Private Messages lamcjunk

Closed my eyes and took the leap! In for 2.

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

Not going to lie, I have been looking at this wine name for years, and it just now finally clicked to me how it is pronounced, happy and sad day all at the same time.

Add me to the Ohio wish-list. After not being upset for several months after the lack of Ohio shipping, two-auto buys show up in the same week. Guess I should still be happy I have more money for X-Mas/PS4/TV.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

spammie

quality posts: 7 Private Messages spammie
North316 wrote:Not going to lie, I have been looking at this wine name for years, and it just now finally clicked to me how it is pronounced...

??? I haven't figured it out - please share!

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus

I drank a bottle of this with SWMBO, my father-in-law, and a tri-tip. I don't drink much CF as I'm not really fond of the green, vegetal, leather components that sometimes can dominate the variety so keep that in mind. We didn't aerate or decant. The wine is pretty and very red, not thick looking, not purple. So far, so good. The smell is definitely interesting. It clearly has that bell pepper/eucalyptus/chemical scent along with red fruits. On the palate, the wine is on the lighter side of medium body, not astringent or tannic, not bitingly acidic. Pretty nice. The front palate is a little lacking but the mid and back palates are very lively. This is a bright, nimble wine. Not heavy at all and it's really quite refreshing. There is unquestionably that bell pepper/eucalyptus/chemical but it's nicely balanced with red fruit. The last of my glass was probably the best as everything was there and some mild tannins appeared on the back end giving this some nice structure. I'd say decant for 45 minutes, wait a year if you want, but this is great right off the Viking ship popped and poured. Travel shock is fake!!! This is a more elegant wine than I normally drink (my cellar just doesn't have a lot of light, nimble wines) and it was really nice. Serious WBM, but I'll grab some if we see it next year.

As always, I'm around for specific questions. Also, a single glass is left in the bottle in the fridge. I'll report later on how it did after 24 hours.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

cortot20

quality posts: 130 Private Messages cortot20
kylemittskus wrote:I drank a bottle of this with SWMBO, my father-in-law, and a tri-tip. I don't drink much CF as I'm not really fond of the green, vegetal, leather components that sometimes can dominate the variety so keep that in mind. We didn't aerate or decant. The wine is pretty and very red, not thick looking, not purple. So far, so good. The smell is definitely interesting. It clearly has that bell pepper/eucalyptus/chemical scent along with red fruits. On the palate, the wine is on the lighter side of medium body, not astringent or tannic, not bitingly acidic. Pretty nice. The front palate is a little lacking but the mid and back palates are very lively. This is a bright, nimble wine. Not heavy at all and it's really quite refreshing. There is unquestionably that bell pepper/eucalyptus/chemical but it's nicely balanced with red fruit. The last of my glass was probably the best as everything was there and some mild tannins appeared on the back end giving this some nice structure. I'd say decant for 45 minutes, wait a year if you want, but this is great right off the Viking ship popped and poured. Travel shock is fake!!! This is a more elegant wine than I normally drink (my cellar just doesn't have a lot of light, nimble wines) and it was really nice. Serious WBM, but I'll grab some if we see it next year.

As always, I'm around for specific questions. Also, a single glass is left in the bottle in the fridge. I'll report later on how it did after 24 hours.

Thanks for the notes and I am now looking forward to the wine. Based on your description this seems like a nice food wine. Your thoughts?

CT