chukon99

quality posts: 4 Private Messages chukon99

Just wondering if anyone has pulled the cork on one of these. It's been about a year since my last bottle, but last I heard, they were going through a dumb phase. I've got a few in the cellar that keep tempting me, but I'm wondering if I'll be better off waiting another year or two.

chipgreen

quality posts: 185 Private Messages chipgreen
chukon99 wrote:Just wondering if anyone has pulled the cork on one of these. It's been about a year since my last bottle, but last I heard, they were going through a dumb phase. I've got a few in the cellar that keep tempting me, but I'm wondering if I'll be better off waiting another year or two.

I'm still sitting on mine but judging from the CT notes, it needs a lot of air to open up properly.

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
chipgreen wrote:I'm still sitting on mine but judging from the CT notes, it needs a lot of air to open up properly.

Wasn't it the 2005 that we had at the 2012 Wooster Dinner (April 2012)? If so, I thought it was drinking wonderfully then. I suppose it could have slipped into a dumb phase since then, but some would argue that dumb phases only apply to PS...

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

chipgreen

North316 wrote:Wasn't it the 2005 that we had at the 2012 Wooster Dinner (April 2012)? If so, I thought it was drinking wonderfully then. I suppose it could have slipped into a dumb phase since then, but some would argue that dumb phases only apply to PS...

I'm not sure which vintage. I remember thinking that it could have used a little more air because it was still kind of tight but it didn't seem like it was in a dumb phase. It wasn't muted at all.

On the rpm tour last year, Rob said that when Cabs go through a dumb phase it's usually within 5-10 years of vintage. It doesn't last for 5 years but falls within that window. That's partly why he recommends not drinking good Cabernet (Cathedral, Corison) until it's at least 10 years old.

Personally, I have no experience with drinking wine during a dumb phase, so I'll put it in the same category as bottle shock. I believe in it because people I trust have said that it's true!

chukon99

North316 wrote:I suppose it could have slipped into a dumb phase since then, but some would argue that dumb phases only apply to PS...

Maybe dumb phase was the wrong term and "shut down" is more appropriate. The first couple bottles I had showed really well after just a couple hours in the decanter. The last bottle, however, was really muted all night long. I opened it early in the day and it spent about 4 hours in the decanter without budging. I poured most of it back into the bottle and brought it to a friend's house. There, it took about another 4 hours of air before starting to emerge. It wasn't until the next day (left uncorked on the counter) that it really came together. That was about a year ago and in March I got a message from richardhod saying that his last bottle was a bit disappointing (or something to that effect). I want to open another one, but I'm a bit gun shy about having to do it a full day in advance.

edlada

quality posts: 4 Private Messages edlada

I had the '05 Jana Cathedral last May and I have to say I was quite disappointed. It was completely unremarkable. I waited a few hours after the initial taste thinking it might need some time but it never opened up. I thought that at 8 years, it would be pretty good, my experience with young Bordeaux type wines is they might be a bit rough and need some more time to smooth out but this was just meh, no complexity, not much flavor. At $50+ a bottle I was totally underwhelmed.

My dogs like me, that is important.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus

Sounds like it is in a dumb phase.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

losthighwayz

quality posts: 59 Private Messages losthighwayz

Agree. Openned a few weeks back at a steakhouse and was underwhelmed. Tight and lacking fruit. I was not a happy camper

"The older I get the better I was"

chukon99

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. This is one of my favorites, but I'll resist the temptation and let 'em sleep for another couple of years.

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
chukon99 wrote:Thanks for the feedback, everyone. This is one of my favorites, but I'll resist the temptation and let 'em sleep for another couple of years.

And I should probably wait about 20 more years before opening our 2007 3L.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
HitAnyKey42 wrote:And I should probably wait about 20 more years before opening our 2007 3L.

23 years for me. Saving mine for our 25th anniversary.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

chipgreen

North316 wrote:23 years for me. Saving mine for our 25th anniversary.

I'll open mine around the same time just to celebrate the fact that I'm not dead yet.

Unless I am.

rjquillin

quality posts: 171 Private Messages rjquillin
chipgreen wrote:I'll open mine around the same time just to celebrate the fact that I'm not dead yet.

Unless I am.

I'll drink to that!

CT

chukon99

So, I decided to just write to Scott and see what he had to say. Here's his reply:

This wine is produced in
the old Bordeaux style and the way Napa Valley Cabernet was produced back in
the 50's and 60's. The grapes where picked when they were ripe but not
over ripe producing a wine that still talks to you, saying I'm Cabernet, I'm
Napa Valley and I'm 2005. Thus the wine is below 14% alcohol and has a
higher acidity and lower pH of 3.48pH. Such a wine is not really drinkable
right after bottling. After one to two years in the bottle, it then opens
up as a young Cabernet for about 2 to 3 years. Then it goes back into a
funk as the tannin molecules start polymerizing into longer tannin molecule
chains. As this is happening the fruit is muted. It usually takes a year
or so and then the wine opens back up with a more velvety texture and bottle
bouquet. So, the normal progression for a wine like this is.
2005 Oct. Harvest date.
2007 Sept. bottled
2009 June, released
2009-2011 young drinking window
2011-2013 Polymerization of tannins
2013-2014 will open back up with a more velvety mouth feel and developed
bottle bouquet.

chipgreen

Nice, thanks for sharing.