pseudogourmet98

quality posts: 19 Private Messages pseudogourmet98
mommadeb1 wrote:want to hear neat? My friend and I were out exercising and we heard a noise.... you will never guess what it was..... Lions! We have a lot of circus people out in our area, and the lions were roaring. The wind was blowing in our direction...it was soo awesome!!

Lions in the neighborhood are OK, but not nearly as cool as kangaroos on your street

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
pseudogourmet98 wrote:Lions in the neighborhood are OK, but not nearly as cool as kangaroos on your street

I can top all of you! I have a link in my sink and a zamp in the lamp.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

mommadeb1

quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1
bhodilee wrote:I'll make sure to let the papers know this when I read the headlines. :-)

mommadeb1

quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1
pseudogourmet98 wrote:Lions in the neighborhood are OK, but not nearly as cool as kangaroos on your street

well, a few years after we moved here, we had an Emu running loose in the neighborhood, a 4foot long Iguana tried to climb my pool cage. I caught it and it lived in my porch for a few days until we located its owner.

edthebedhead

quality posts: 4 Private Messages edthebedhead

Hi...

Not found in a wootoff, but leak frogs are leak frogs!

http://www.woot.com/offers/leakfrog-water-leak-alarm-2-pack-21

I'll take them!

edthebedhead

quality posts: 4 Private Messages edthebedhead

Just finished the last Noceto Sangiovese - glad to see more now!

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

Looks like Ed killed the Pub this time!!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

vaaccess

quality posts: 17 Private Messages vaaccess

When I was growing up in Central Iowa, my dad was home painting the house one day when he saw a baboon walking down the gravel road we lived on. It ended up getting on top of our neighbors trailer home (they were building a new house on their property) and started jumping up and down, denting the roof, etc. They figured out that through one of the corn fields a guy had an exotic animal farm. They called him, he pulled up in his pickup, yelled at the baboon, and the baboon ran over to the truck and jumped in the bed and they drove off.

One year I shot one of his geese that came down the stream onto our property and we ate it for Thanksgiving. I didn't know it was his and didn't know that it was a pet. I did wonder why it didn't fly away (wings clipped) when I got close enough to shoot it with my .22 rifle. I was in middle school!

One More Field Goal...I sound SOOOO country right now!

Maybe I've over-shared...

Wine Cooler (Image) currently at 47% of Capacity

My Current Inventory on CellarTracker

rjquillin

quality posts: 182 Private Messages rjquillin
vaaccess wrote:I got close enough to shoot it with my .22 rifle. I was in middle school!

One More Field Goal...I sound SOOOO country right now!

Maybe I've over-shared...

But geese were in season and you did have a license.

Ever crack/eat a goose/duck egg?
Gotta be some of the hardest shells ever.

CT

otolith

quality posts: 24 Private Messages otolith

Going to try this in the smoker tomorrow. Along with some ribs and some sausage. Not sure I want or can smoke it at such a low temp, but we'll see what happens.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

InFrom

quality posts: 33 Private Messages InFrom
otolith wrote:Going to try this in the smoker tomorrow. Along with some ribs and some sausage. Not sure I want or can smoke it at such a low temp, but we'll see what happens.

Sounds yum, though after that last tale I expected it to be a smoked goose recipe. That's not something you see every day.

killed him a goose with a BB gun,
still in junior high, he was just a young 'un...
VA, vaaccess, king of the wild frontier!

FWIW, I had salmon tonight. And possibly some wine.

cortot20

quality posts: 158 Private Messages cortot20

The trader joes vintage ale is out for anyone who enjoys it.

CT

otolith

InFrom wrote:Sounds yum, though after that last tale I expected it to be a smoked goose recipe. That's not something you see every day.

killed him a goose with a BB gun,
still in junior high, he was just a young 'un...
VA, vaaccess, king of the wild frontier!

FWIW, I had salmon tonight. And possibly some wine.

Had a little sneak taste as we wait for tonight. Yum!

Now, just smoked some sausage, and will wait for some ribs to finish later on tonight. Thinking a Petit Sirah or else a Tannat or a sryah or a zin. Too many choices to choose.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

InFrom

quality posts: 33 Private Messages InFrom
otolith wrote:Had a little sneak taste as we wait for tonight. Yum!

Now, just smoked some sausage, and will wait for some ribs to finish later on tonight. Thinking a Petit Sirah or else a Tannat or a sryah or a zin. Too many choices to choose.

I feel your pain, poor guy!

It all sounds wonderful, enjoy.

otolith

InFrom wrote:I feel your pain, poor guy!

It all sounds wonderful, enjoy.

Thanks! I'm glad you understand!

Opened a 2006 Tablas Creek Tannat. It's a pretty neat story how it got planted.

--John Muir

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22

Gotta share my good fortune. I was able to score some rare Pappy Van Winkle this morning. E-mail late last night, went to the local store at 8 AM and was in luck. Don't know why this is so hard to find, but now I have some.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

rjquillin

polarbear22 wrote:Gotta share my good fortune. I was able to score some rare Pappy Van Winkle this morning. E-mail late last night, went to the local store at 8 AM and was in luck. Don't know why this is so hard to find, but now I have some.

Which one?

CT

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus
polarbear22 wrote:Gotta share my good fortune. I was able to score some rare Pappy Van Winkle this morning. E-mail late last night, went to the local store at 8 AM and was in luck. Don't know why this is so hard to find, but now I have some.

Jealous.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

klezman

quality posts: 129 Private Messages klezman
kylemittskus wrote:Jealous.

If you stay later next time at time2testit's he may share some of his. I don't recall if he has Pappy, but he's got some comparable stuff.

2014: 42 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2012 Iron Horse Estate Chardonnay
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

polarbear22

rjquillin wrote:Which one?

Got both the 23 and 20. Scored big.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
My Cellar

kylemittskus

klezman wrote:If you stay later next time at time2testit's he may share some of his. I don't recall if he has Pappy, but he's got some comparable stuff.

He does have some Pappy, but he was generous enough to allow me to taste some "real" Pappy before I left. YUM.

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
kylemittskus wrote:Jealous.

alternatives

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

kylemittskus

bhodilee wrote:alternatives

I just had this thanks to time2testit. It was delicious. And my friend in Boston had George T. Stagg, but I didn't try any. We drank only JW.

There's an excellent article in this month's The Atlantic about bourbon.

bahwm

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bahwm

Hey. ddeuddeg just pulled out some of the Four Roses. Damn, is that delicious stuff!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

MarkDaSpark

bahwm wrote:Hey. ddeuddeg just pulled out some of the Four Roses. Damn, is that delicious stuff!

Had it, not impressed. Neither was the family.

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

polarbear22

Thanks. I've had two of those -- Four Roses and Jefferson Presidential. Actually on the lookout for the Presidential, as not many places stock it.

Someone brought over a bottle of Four Roses Single Barrel Limited Edition 2013. Barrel strength. Very nice bourbon, but a little strong neat. I have never seen this bottling elsewhere.

My Cellar

polarbear22

MarkDaSpark wrote:Had it, not impressed. Neither was the family.

What bourbon do you like? Pretty sure our tastes differ, as you didn't like the Angel's Envy either. Have you tried Whistle Pig Rye?

My Cellar

MarkDaSpark

polarbear22 wrote:What bourbon do you like? Pretty sure our tastes differ, as you didn't like the Angel's Envy either. Have you tried Whistle Pig Rye?

Haven't had that one, but I've had Templeton Rye, which I've liked.

Wasn't excited by Four Roses Small Batch, but the Knob Creek (9) and Jack Daniel's Single Barrel have been nice. The family (BiL, son, & nephews) weren't enthused about the Four Roses either.

Have some Elijah Craig 20 (American Whisky of the year) and 21 year Single Barrel I got for our next game night. Looking forward to trying them.

My son and I seem to like Irish Whiskeys though. Especially Middleton.

Hi-Time out here has the Whistle Pig the Boss for $145 and WP 10 yr for $60, may pick one up.

polarbear22

MarkDaSpark wrote:Haven't had that one, but I've had Templeton Rye, which I've liked.

Wasn't excited by Four Roses Small Batch, but the Knob Creek (9) and Jack Daniel's Single Barrel have been nice. The family (BiL, son, & nephews) weren't enthused about the Four Roses either.

Have some Elijah Craig 20 (American Whisky of the year) and 21 year Single Barrel I got for our next game night. Looking forward to trying them.

My son and I seem to like Irish Whiskeys though. Especially Middleton.

Hi-Time out here has the Whistle Pig the Boss for $145 and WP 10 yr for $60, may pick one up.

Haven't had the Boss Hog yet, though I plan to buy one. The 10 yo is 100 proof and very tasty. Distiller used to work at Makers Mark I recall.

Also, not much of a fan of Jack Daniels, so I can see where we differ. I think of Irish and Scotch in a different place from bourbon and rye.

My Cellar

MarkDaSpark

polarbear22 wrote:Haven't had the Boss Hog yet, though I plan to buy one. The 10 yo is 100 proof and very tasty. Distiller used to work at Makers Mark I recall.

Also, not much of a fan of Jack Daniels, so I can see where we differ. I think of Irish and Scotch in a different place from bourbon and rye.

Didn't like Makers Mark when I tried it. Irish not so much different, but Scotch is definitely different.

kylemittskus

MarkDaSpark wrote:Didn't like Makers Mark when I tried it. Irish not so much different, but Scotch is definitely different.

Maker's is my "daily" bourbon.

MarkDaSpark

kylemittskus wrote:Maker's is my "daily" bourbon.

This explains so much.

polarbear22

MarkDaSpark wrote:Didn't like Makers Mark when I tried it. Irish not so much different, but Scotch is definitely different.

Whistle Pig is not like Makers. That is not one of my favorites. I highly recommend the WP 10 year. But at the price, probably better if you can taste before you commit.

My Cellar

polarbear22

kylemittskus wrote:Maker's is my "daily" bourbon.

Right now, my only bottle of Makers is a "collector" bottle. Dipped in red, white and blue and the label is half red/half blue with the donkey and the elephant. I think from the 2008 presidential election.

My Cellar

rjquillin

Hoping all in the mid-west and north-east fared well today.

CT

CAGrl

quality posts: 13 Private Messages CAGrl
polarbear22 wrote:Actually on the lookout for the Presidential, as not many places stock it.

There's a place nearby here that carries it for $130 or so. Hubby's best friend (getting married on Saturday) is a big bourbon drinker. So I bought him a bottle of Buffalo Trace Single Oak Project as a wedding present. Was that a mistake? Should I spend the extra money for the Presidential?

polarbear22

CAGrl wrote:There's a place nearby here that carries it for $130 or so. Hubby's best friend (getting married on Saturday) is a big bourbon drinker. So I bought him a bottle of Buffalo Trace Single Oak Project as a wedding present. Was that a mistake? Should I spend the extra money for the Presidential?

Don't know that one, but I doubt it was a mistake. They make great bourbon.

Darlenee may have me all set. She found it in NH for $100. Always a better price if you can find it in NH. So a friend of hers is going to try and get me a bottle from one of the other stores. Darlene got the only one in stock at the store she went past. Successful or not, I appreciate the thoughtfulness.

Opps - old pub.

My Cellar