MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 173 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

PoSt away Folks!!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

List of previous WW gatherings by area.
New list in the Gatherings tab and Old list in the Community tab. Great reading and great examples of how to set up a Get-Together Thread.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Upcoming Woot Wine Gatherings…All The News for the week of November 10
Attend or Host a Get-Together in your area!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

November
11/16: SoCal#30: Santa Barbara Winery Weekend
11/17: Seattle - Capitol Hill Nov 17 @ 2 pm
11/29: NoVA/DC #30: 5th Annual Leftovers Feasting
11/29: Connecticut #?: Black Friday/White Bear
TBD: October Trip to Taldeschi, Hawley & Handal

January
TBD: Buffalo/WNY #11: Icewine Festival

Pending
TBD: Atlanta #1
TBD: NYC Tasting #??: A Tribute (interest thread)
TBD: NorCal #?: Open invitation to the New Muscardini Tasting Room

No events in your area??? Start one! Create an interest thread in the GATHERINGS Community Tab.

So join or create a WW Gathering!

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

polarbear22 wrote:Which vintage? I have one bottle left from Woot. (2004)

I suspect the 2004, since I think those were the only ones offered here.

tommythecat78

quality posts: 18 Private Messages tommythecat78

HI!!

___________________________________________________________________________________________
My Cellar (has not been updated in forever)
Do the people want fire that can be applied nasally? -Golgafrinchan Marketing Consultant

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith
tommythecat78 wrote:HI!!

Hey! That's all you have to say for yourself?

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

rpm

quality posts: 167 Private Messages rpm

Question: is there any interest in 2014 tours? beginner? advanced (but not cabernet)?

Weve done four now (3 beginning, 1 advanced). The community and the entire feel of woot is not the same as it was when the first tour just sort of happened in 2008.

Every tour has gotten rave reviews, every one a little different (though 2008 and 2012 beginner were pretty similar). 2010 turned into a semi-advanced Pinot Noir and Chardonnay exercise. And, the 2012 advanced tour was an impossible to duplicate Cabernet seminar.

Is it time to open a Tour thread? The thread for the 2012 Tours started in the summer of 2011 and there was constant interest. I haven't gotten any pings so far this year.

Is it time to say 'enough'?

Should we wait until 2016 (since we've done them every other year)?

What saith the community?

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
rpm wrote:Question: is there any interest in 2014 tours? beginner? advanced (but not cabernet)?

Weve done four now (3 beginning, 1 advanced). The community and the entire feel of woot is not the same as it was when the first tour just sort of happened in 2008.

Every tour has gotten rave reviews, every one a little different (though 2008 and 2012 beginner were pretty similar). 2010 turned into a semi-advanced Pinot Noir and Chardonnay exercise. And, the 2012 advanced tour was an impossible to duplicate Cabernet seminar.

Is it time to open a Tour thread? The thread for the 2012 Tours started in the summer of 2011 and there was constant interest. I haven't gotten any pings so far this year.

RPM - Given all the discussion I have seen about meeting up on the 2014 tour, I am surprised that no one pinged you. Likely being polite and waiting for you.

I am interested and pretty sure there are several.

Agree that the sense and feel of community is different, but the tours change all that for the attendees.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

otolith

rpm wrote:Question: is there any interest in 2014 tours? beginner? advanced (but not cabernet)?

There's been talk here and there. My wife and I still rave about the great time we had.

Would be interested in a tour again, just depends on what it is. Would love to do a Cab tour like the "advanced" were able to do.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

bahwm

quality posts: 26 Private Messages bahwm
tommythecat78 wrote:HI!!

Hi, yourself! Good to hear a quick Hi from you. Hope all is well. Check out the info on the Icewine Festival Jan 24th-26th in the Gatherings tab.

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj

I just want to wish a happy Veterans Day (and many thanks) to any and all veterans out there in woot-land!

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
polarbear22 wrote:Which vintage? I have one bottle left from Woot. (2004)

Yar, 2004.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
coynedj wrote:I just want to wish a happy Veterans Day (and many thanks) to any and all veterans out there in woot-land!

+1

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

cheron98

While HAK and I would be immensely interested in another tour, 2014 is probably not the year for us to be able to go. We already have a week-long trip in April as well as another week-long trip in August. Squeezing in another week-long trip for the tour wouldn't be practical for us.

But don't let that stop you from doing a tour. Definitely have been seeing many comments from people regarding meeting up for a 2014 tour. I'm surprised no one has touched base with you about it yet.

vaaccess

quality posts: 17 Private Messages vaaccess
coynedj wrote:I just want to wish a happy Veterans Day (and many thanks) to any and all veterans out there in woot-land!

Agreed. +!

Wine Cooler (Image) currently at 47% of Capacity

My Current Inventory on CellarTracker

vaaccess

quality posts: 17 Private Messages vaaccess

I would love an opportunity to do this, but not looking like a 2014 Tour is in the cards for us right now. It saddens me as it's something I know we'd really enjoy. (Both the people and the wine.)

Wine Cooler (Image) currently at 47% of Capacity

My Current Inventory on CellarTracker

rjquillin

quality posts: 167 Private Messages rjquillin

I'll free up my time and send a deposit, may even be able to get SWMBO to attend as she's now enjoyed a couple events.

If we had a thread, at least we could keep the comments in one place.

2012 was amazing for a first timer, and had I not attended I'd not now know many here I now consider friends, and enablers.
Hope it's not 'enough'!

CT

bahwm

We're interested.

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

bahwm

I hate waiting for plumbers! It is now 11:30 AM. Plumber was supposed to be here between 8 & 9 AM! He got called in on a different job--I'm so happy I made the appointment a week ago! When I called at 9:20 they got all apologetic. I don't want apologies on my day off when I want to sleep in (Thank you, Veterans!) and had to get up at 7:15 for nothing. Other plumber "Got a flat tire and should be here in about an hour." That call was at 10:15! The thought of BS comes to mind! I sure hope he can get the job done today. There is no way that we are paying overtime--not after we've been held captive in our own home, waiting, waiting! They are known as "The Punctual Plumber"! Ha!

chemvictim

quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim

Definitely interested, no matter what the theme!

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

Definitely interested +1. I still consider myself a beginner, but would go with whatever was available. Depending on interest levels you could always go with two separate tours or an extended tour (4-5 days!) with two days of "beginner level" material and advancement from there.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

MarkDaSpark

Yes. I'll go ahead and create the 2014 RPM Tour thread asking about interest in the Gatherings thread.

klezman

quality posts: 119 Private Messages klezman
MarkDaSpark wrote:Yes. I'll go ahead and create the 2014 RPM Tour thread asking about interest in the Gatherings thread.

I saw that before this - but the recap is that molarchae and I would be interested, but there are a couple constraints.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

MarkDaSpark

North316 wrote:Definitely interested +1. I still consider myself a beginner, but would go with whatever was available. Depending on interest levels you could always go with two separate tours or an extended tour (4-5 days!) with two days of "beginner level" material and advancement from there.

It's not really beginner, but Newbie for those who haven't been on an RPM Tour previously. We're always learning, even us RPM Tour Vets.

MarkDaSpark

Happy Birthday to Jana Harvey!!

Happy Birthday to Jana Harvey!!!

☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆ ★ ☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆
╔╗╔╦══╦═╦═╦╗╔╗ ★ ★ ★
║╚╝║══║═║═║╚╝║ ☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆
║╔╗║╔╗║╔╣╔╩╗╔╝ ★ ☆ BIRTHDAY !!
╚╝╚╩╝╚╩╝╚╝═╚╝ ♥¥☆★☆★☆¥♥ ★☆

MarkDaSpark

Happy Veterans Day to all of our Veterans!!!

mommadeb1

quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1

I would be interested..... I am really bummed I missed last years! Now I don't know about if 2014 will be good or not....have a lot going on...

wkdpanda

quality posts: 10 Private Messages wkdpanda

Ok - question - anyone able to get the BBCode here to deal with things like subscripts? Tried a couple of times using the "sub" tag, but that didn't show in the preview.

Was making a PM asking about Sulfur Dioxide (so2) and couldn't make the 2 go small.

----------------
Andy the Wicked Panda

wkdpanda

quality posts: 10 Private Messages wkdpanda

Sign me and my +1 up for anything. We were just wondering about 2014, and if the batteries were recharged for another round of touring. Matter of fact, I may have queried Woop about it a few days ago...

Trying to get 2014 travel plans worked out. If it isn't CA, then we may have to fly to Hungary and spend some time in Tokaj and Budapest.

----------------
Andy the Wicked Panda

MarkDaSpark

wkdpanda wrote:Ok - question - anyone able to get the BBCode here to deal with things like subscripts? Tried a couple of times using the "sub" tag, but that didn't show in the preview.

Was making a PM asking about Sulfur Dioxide (so2) and couldn't make the 2 go small.

At the beginning, the Woot BBC Usage Guide used to show it, but they never worked. And they don't list it there now even.

So no. You might as well create a graphic, and use the img to insert it.

rjquillin

wkdpanda wrote:Ok - question - anyone able to get the BBCode here to deal with things like subscripts? Tried a couple of times using the "sub" tag, but that didn't show in the preview.

TT did a posting within the past month or so that had some juicy how-to tidbits; if I could find it.

CT

bahwm

First snow! Sticking on the trees and the grass and cars.

otolith

bahwm wrote:First snow! Sticking on the trees and the grass and cars.

We got it a week or so ago. Still see some on the ground in a couple shaded areas...It's going to be a long winter.

--John Muir

mommadeb1

quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1

SNOW?!!!!!!!! Are you serious?!! It was 85 today here!! Tomorrow it is going to be cold here...72 for the high!! I spent the entire day pressure washing my porch..

bahwm

mommadeb1 wrote:SNOW?!!!!!!!! Are you serious?!! It was 85 today here!! Tomorrow it is going to be cold here...72 for the high!! I spent the entire day pressure washing my porch..

We're not alone. Bowtie had it all the way east of us. Please come and pressure wash our basement. Plumber will have to come back. He cannot find the sewer line from the outside to roto root it! Urg! All that waiting!

rjquillin

Scheduled for 80's~90's later this week here.
And I have some incoming...

CT

karenhynes

quality posts: 10 Private Messages karenhynes

Snow here in Chicago, too. I am soooo not ready for winter.

Wine is bottled poetry - Robert Louis Stevenson

bahwm

karenhynes wrote:Snow here in Chicago, too. I am soooo not ready for winter.

Me neither. But it's a break from the rains!

karenhynes

quality posts: 10 Private Messages karenhynes
bahwm wrote:Me neither. But it's a break from the rains!

I sure was glad I had put some gloves in my coat pocket last week....and that I knew where my brush/scraper was hiding in my car!!

Wine is bottled poetry - Robert Louis Stevenson

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42

We're having our first snow too, though not fully sticking to anything yet. I hope it doesn't since I don't have my scraper in the car yet. But yeah, the drive into work today was somewhat crappy due to all the accidents. Luckily I get to drive the HOV lane....or it likely would have taken me over an hour and a half to get in, rather than just the 45 min it took.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

cheron98

HitAnyKey42 wrote:We're having our first snow too, though not fully sticking to anything yet. I hope it doesn't since I don't have my scraper in the car yet. But yeah, the drive into work today was somewhat crappy due to all the accidents. Luckily I get to drive the HOV lane....or it likely would have taken me over an hour and a half to get in, rather than just the 45 min it took.

It's sticking now. Also, it is fortuitous that I recently dug out your scraper from the closet - guess I should've put it in your car for you Michigan mindset - when Halloween comes, it's time to put the snow-stuff in the car.