Coordinates Rosé of Cabernet Sauvignon Half-Bottle 6-Pack
$37.99 $103.00 63% off List Price
2008 Rosé of Cabernet Sauvignon, Dry Creek Valley 375ml
CT link above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 604 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Ahem.
Thoughts?
Discuss?

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

cortot20

quality posts: 158 Private Messages cortot20
ThunderThighs wrote:

Ahem.
Thoughts?
Discuss?

Sure, 5 year old rose selling at the equivalent of $15 a bottle for a 750ml. I have no idea why I would buy this. Rose is typically best when it's young and being in a smaller format would age it even faster. This doesn't seem like an offer for me and I love rose.

CT

chipgreen

quality posts: 202 Private Messages chipgreen
cortot20 wrote:Sure, 5 year old rose selling at the equivalent of $15 a bottle for a 750ml. I have no idea why I would buy this. Rose is typically best when it's young and being in a smaller format would age it even faster. This doesn't seem like an offer for me and I love rose.

I didn't notice that they were half bottles. That does raise some concern that this wine may be at or near the end of its optimal drinking window. I enjoyed the 2007 McClean Ruby Syrah that was sold a few months back but that was in 750ml bottles. It'll be interesting to see what rj has to say about this wine... when he decides to make an appearance!

rosstx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rosstx

I didn't notice that they were half bottles.

Woots: 149
Deals.Woot Rep: 0/100

if woots are buys .. that's my history.

I've learned to read the comments 1st

This along with the cart & St. taxing is why i rarely buy now.

I might've bought here til i read the 1/2.

The wine pricings now with tax & shipping most can beat at local purveyors

zmanonice

quality posts: 21 Private Messages zmanonice

The monkey really likes to travel and was in DFW a week ago. He left behind a full-size bottle of this wine and must have known we were thirsty. This was the second wine we had at dinner. It was chilled and went well with the appetizers.

It was a peachy, pink color, clear as expected. It was a bit muted and I didn't really pick up any notes, maybe some berries but very faint. Very light tartness and not many tannins. Picked up some strawberry on the medium length finish. I'm not a white or rose drinker, but this wine would make a good summer wine. Age of the wine didn't seem to be a problem.

Z

knotworking

quality posts: 11 Private Messages knotworking

Well, this explains it...I received a shipment on Wednesday containing one of these. There was no golden ticket accompanying it, no instructions in the box or my inbox, but I must have been granted the honor of ̶l̶a̶b̶ ̶r̶a̶t̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶(̶d̶o̶ ̶w̶e̶ ̶s̶t̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶c̶a̶l̶l̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶l̶a̶b̶ ̶r̶a̶t̶t̶i̶n̶g̶?̶)̶ [MOD: tasting ] this wine.

I've just put it in the wine fridge, and I also just happen to have two other previous woot rosés in the fridge to compare it to. I'm off to breakfast, I'll report back in a few hours.

rjquillin

quality posts: 182 Private Messages rjquillin

2008 Coordinates Rose of Cabernet Sauvignon

I had the opportunity to taste this earlier this week, from the splits as offered here, but alas I sit in a room in Paso Robles and my notes are in San Diego so I'll have to rely on a failing memory.

Standard cork closure with fine tartrate crystals forming, the pour is clear bright pink, rather like I'd expect a CS to look if it just lacked pigment.

At frig temperature not much initial aroma, but allowed to warm a bit strawberry and light floral elements began to form.

Entry and mid palate carried through with the aroma without surprises. Dry, but the fruit gave hints of sweetness nicely balanced with acidity. Trying to recall what supper was I'm thinking some lightly spiced leftover pulled pork where neither was overwhelmed by the other. Nothing overly complex here, but a nicely executed Rose of Cab that finished surprisingly long for me.

Reading others concerns of age and the 375, lacking the opportunity to taste along side of the 750 others had I can't comment on differences, but this didn't seem old or tired to me. Perhaps there was more fruit and complexity when younger or served from a standard bottle, but this is currently drinking fine.

I'll freshen up my memory and these notes when I make it back home, hopefully before 22:00 local when this dies.

CT

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 604 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

rjquillin wrote:... but alas I sit in a room in Paso Robles and my notes are in San Diego so I'll have to rely on a failing memory.

Otherwise known as "pulling a Sparky." At least it's now known as that.

Glad to see the good comments. I was thinking this would be perfect for me as I love Rose and the small bottles are perfect for a single gal... with no life.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

chipgreen

ThunderThighs wrote:Otherwise known as "pulling a Sparky." At least it's now known as that.

Lol, he gave it the old college try and of course he has a history of comprehensive reviews, often recruiting others to taste with him so we should probably give him a break.

ThunderThighs wrote:
Glad to see the good comments. I was thinking this would be perfect for me as I love Rose and the small bottles are perfect for a single gal... with no life.

I always joke that they're perfect for sneaking into the movies but I have yet to do it.

cen1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cen1

So I'm new to wine.woot. and live in PA. I see this won't ship to where I live. I have read that it is up to the winery and what licenses they have to ship to PA. Is there a chance that some wine will ship here depending on the winery?? sorry if this has been asked already. this seems like a really good deal

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus
cen1 wrote:So I'm new to wine.woot. and live in PA. I see this won't ship to where I live. I have read that it is up to the winery and what licenses they have to ship to PA. Is there a chance that some wine will ship here depending on the winery?? sorry if this has been asked already. this seems like a really good deal

Welcome to the party. Lots has happened in the past couple months. This is where you should start:

http://wine.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5551637&pageindex=1&replycount=157
Some wineries have licenses to ship to a certain state but WW, because of the above, can't. In some of those cases, the winery will honor the woot deal. Sometime, you may be plain screwed.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

chipgreen

cen1 wrote:So I'm new to wine.woot. and live in PA. I see this won't ship to where I live. I have read that it is up to the winery and what licenses they have to ship to PA. Is there a chance that some wine will ship here depending on the winery?? sorry if this has been asked already. this seems like a really good deal

Unfortunately PA does not allow direct shipments of alcohol to residents from out of state, let alone from 3rd party vendors such as wine.woot. However, there are some bills "in play" right now to open up direct shipping for PA to some extent.

Check out the latest PA info from the ShipCompliant Blog. Also, check out Free the Grapes, where you can hover your cursor over PA for a brief overview and by clicking on it, you can send a letter to your state rep urging him or her to vote for the aforementioned legislation.

chipgreen

kylemittskus wrote:Welcome to the party. Lots has happened in the past couple months. This is where you should start:

http://wine.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5551637&pageindex=1&replycount=157
Some wineries have licenses to ship to a certain state but WW, because of the above, can't. In some of those cases, the winery will honor the woot deal. Sometime, you may be plain screwed.

That thread doesn't really apply for PA which is in the same boat as MA. Both states have laws prohibiting direct shipments of alcohol but both are currently considering new legislation. Even if the laws pass in both states it's unlikely that they will be open to 3rd party shipping anytime soon.

knotworking

quality posts: 11 Private Messages knotworking

Okay, here 'tis. The two other rosés I will be comparing the Coordinates rosé to are (previously wooted):
- 2009 Rouge Grenache (Duarte Georgetown)
- 2011 Tramonto Rosé

Before I get into the head-to-head tasting comparison, I'll address the Coordinates rosé characteristics. As reported, the tartaric crystals are apparent on the cork, not your Sugar in The Raw-sized granules, just a fine dusting of crystals. The cork has some slight moisture intrusion, showing it's seen more than 1-2 years in the bottle. The color is very dusky for a rosé, reminds me of a tawny port. The nose is not your average rosé, rather than crisp & slight, there's some roundness to it (sweet warmth, if that makes any sense). The Cabernet Sauvignon is strong in this one.

Now for the tasting. All tasting was done without the benefit of food or discretion....so much for the Sunday honey-to-do list! Science, FTW!! I laid out all three in separate glasses and sampled continuously as they came to room temperature. The Coordinates has a definite mouth-coating feel the others couldn't match, tart and sweet with quaffable heat. The Rouge Grenache, in comparison, is very crisp and acidic, much brighter/deeper red in color, and probably best consumed poolside (I'm in Florida, so the opened bottle won't go to waste waiting for warmer weather). The Tramonto is more rounded than the Rouge, it has a subtle warmth and mouth-coating feel, the color is pale orange/pink; overall, I would say the Tramonto is a nice pre-dinner rosé.

Summarizing my impressions of the Coordinates, if you've been looking for a rosé that can handle the cooler temperatures or pair with more than just salad or cheese, the Coordinates might be what you've been looking for. I went happily for it over the other two while watching the Bears & Lions fight it out on my Sunday afternoon. This wine coats your mouth and displays a warmth & rounded body that I haven't found in other rosés. I can imagine popping this one at dinner (or pre-dinner) with friends over the next 6 months, I'm sure it will surprise more than a few of them to learn it's a rosé. In for two!

justplainjulie

quality posts: 5 Private Messages justplainjulie

I also had a chance to taste this recently - albeit from a 750 and not a half bottle. As others have commented, I did not find age to be a problem with this wine.

It has a nice nose, full of berries. I found it had a nice balance for a rose - not too sweet, not too dry. Definitely toward the drier end of rose. Strawberries seemed to be the primary flavor on the palate.

When I tasted it, I lamented the fact that this was being offered in the fall instead of spring because it would be a good summer sipper. I'm also not sure I'm in on this for the price - I liked it, but there are other good roses for less that are readily available.

UBlink

quality posts: 19 Private Messages UBlink

Also tasted this at DFW dinner and agree with the previous comments. Nice balance between fruit and acid, strawberries being the primary fruit flavor. This seems like a good deal if you have the need for the half bottles. At $15 per full bottle equivalent it's not a compelling bargain unless you need the halves.

Following the eight word profile, political economy in eight words:
Ain't no free lunch - them what has gets.

rjquillin

quality posts: 182 Private Messages rjquillin
rjquillin wrote:2008 Coordinates Rose of Cabernet Sauvignon

I had the opportunity to taste this earlier this week, from the splits as offered here, but alas I sit in a room in Paso Robles and my notes are in San Diego so I'll have to rely on a failing memory.

Standard cork closure with fine tartrate crystals forming, the pour is clear bright pink, rather like I'd expect a CS to look if it just lacked pigment.

At frig temperature not much initial aroma, but allowed to warm a bit strawberry and light floral elements began to form.

Entry and mid palate carried through with the aroma without surprises. Dry, but the fruit gave hints of sweetness nicely balanced with acidity. Trying to recall what supper was I'm thinking some lightly spiced leftover pulled pork where neither was overwhelmed by the other. Nothing overly complex here, but a nicely executed Rose of Cab that finished surprisingly long for me.

Reading others concerns of age and the 375, lacking the opportunity to taste along side of the 750 others had I can't comment on differences, but this didn't seem old or tired to me. Perhaps there was more fruit and complexity when younger or served from a standard bottle, but this is currently drinking fine.

I'll freshen up my memory and these notes when I make it back home, hopefully before 22:00 local when this dies.

[edit]
Notes, the additional ones that were at home...

Noticed a bit of lychee on the nose and a bit of spice on the palate. Also what I perceived to be just a touch of tannin/oak on the finish.

CT