quality posts: 1593 Private Messages Cesare

Casey Flat Ranch Estate Red Wine 3-Pack
$59.99 $118.00 49% off List Price
2009 Casey Flat Ranch Estate Red Wine, Capay Valley

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan

Weird, the 2010 is up on WTSO right now as well for the same price. Anyone have notes on this?

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

andreaserben

quality posts: 21 Private Messages andreaserben

A good friend gifted me a bottle of this juice that I happen to be drinking right now.

First impression (p&p) without thinking too much:
Concentrated, dark fruit, maybe indeed a bit fleshy, spice (but not as in 'hot' spicy), not tart, a tiny hint of leather?
Long finish.
Didn't get the "plum" from the description, but maybe a bit on the finish?
IMHO better enjoyed alone or with dark (70%+/80%+) chocolate, but not with food.

I was kinda intrigued and I like it. Maybe also because I haven't had a blended ("composed") wine in months - and not a good/great blended wine even longer!

Ah - the composition - Syrah, Cabernet and Cabernet Franc... that explains it maybe. The Cab Franc gives it an interesting note.

Wait - do I hear this right in the voicemail? A 110% wine? 50% Syrah, 40% Cabernet Sauvignon, 20% Cabernet Franc?

Makes me want to get more and sip more.

And - it got mill's approval

aafflyer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages aafflyer
redwinefan wrote:Weird, the 2010 is up on WTSO right now as well for the same price. Anyone have notes on this?

That is pretty absolutely amazing. However, Woot is 2009, WTSO is 2010. Woot, have to pay for shipping, WTSO, free shipping with purchase of 4.

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan
andreaserben wrote:
Concentrated, dark fruit, maybe indeed a bit fleshy, spice (but not as in 'hot' spicy), not tart, a tiny hint of leather?
Long finish.

Sounds good. Also, this price is $5 cheaper/per bottle than another deal site ran this vintage at.

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

ego48

quality posts: 5 Private Messages ego48

just need to mention that the other site does ship the 2010 to Georgia.

Which is a definite plus as I haven't been able to order wine on woot for months now.

shahnm

quality posts: 26 Private Messages shahnm

Though I'm always skeptical of "top 10" listings of subjective things, this review (link below) does mention both the 2009 and 2010. Not sure how much stock to put in any of this, as they even have the blends wrong. Anyway, FWIW, here are the relevant excerpts:

"5. 2010 Casey Flat Ranch Estate Red – $35

This we encountered Friday night at Wine and Rosecliff. Brenda, the VP of Sales and Marketing for the vineyard, was pouring their 2010 red from small cabernet style decanters as well as their Estate White. The red is fabulous. The vineyards are within a 1600 acre ranch and were planted initially in 2004. Additional acreage was planted in 2008 and they now cultivate 24 acres of vines. This red is expressive but still quite elegant. It’s a blend of 44% Cabernet Sauvignon, 33% Syrah, 19% Cabernet Franc and 4% Mourvedre. It’s flat out delicious and a very good value in our book. We’re looking to pick up a mixed case of this and the 2009 vintage, which you will soon see checking in at #8."

"8. 2009 Casey Flat Ranch Estate Red – $35

Here we are again, only a year earlier. This red is also fantastic, but it is quite different. The 2009 does not have the elegance of the 2010, but brings a brawnier, fruit forward approach to the palate. It’s a bit more rustic, with a deeper flavor profile than it’s younger brother. This wine absolutely screams for a grilled steak. When we get our case we’ll definitely try that. I can’t wait to visit the ranch. A blend of 50% Cabernet Sauvignon and 50% Syrah, it’s another good value."

http://www.redwineplease.com/top-ten-red-wines-of-the-2013-newport-mansions-wine-and-food-festival/

drexelh1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages drexelh1

Amazingly, a wine store here in NJ (Wine Library) is offering the 2010 @ $19.99, free shipping on 4. Not tempted either way, my coolers are full, but a sweet coincidence.

foobarski

quality posts: 2 Private Messages foobarski

And the good news (for me) is that WTSO will sell it to me here in Ohio.

This comment from their writeup on the 2010 jumped out at me:
"This wine is far superior to the 2009 vintage which received quite strong ratings."

YMMV.

redwinefan wrote:Weird, the 2010 is up on WTSO right now as well for the same price. Anyone have notes on this?

"Is there anything a man don't stand to lose, when the devil wants to take it all away?
Cherish well your thoughts, and keep a tight grip on your booze.
Cause thinkin' and drinkin' are all I have today."
-- John Perry Barlow / Bob Weir ("Mexicali Blues")

kylecountryman

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kylecountryman
foobarski wrote:And the good news (for me) is that WTSO will sell it to me here in Ohio.

Me too. I still stop by here, with a tear in my eye, that all I can do is window shop.

duboisnj

quality posts: 0 Private Messages duboisnj

I think this is great. We write a wine blog and here are our notes on the CFR Estate Reds:

2010 Estate Red

This we encountered Friday night at Wine and Rosecliff. Brenda, the VP of Sales and Marketing for the vineyard, was pouring their 2010 red from small cabernet style decanters as well as their Estate White. The red is fabulous. The vineyards are within a 1600 acre ranch and were planted initially in 2004. Additional acreage was planted in 2008 and they now cultivate 24 acres of vines. This red is expressive but still quite elegant. It’s a blend of 44% Cabernet Sauvignon, 33% Syrah, 19% Cabernet Franc and 4% Mourvedre. It’s flat out delicious and a very good value in our book. We’re looking to pick up a mixed case of this and the 2009 vintage. (which we did!)

2009 Estate Red

Here we are again, only a year older. This red is also fantastic, but it is quite different. The 2009 does not have the elegance of the 2010, but brings a brawnier, fruit forward approach to the palate. It’s a bit more rustic, with a deeper flavor profile than it’s younger brother. This wine absolutely screams for a grilled steak. When we get our case we’ll definitely try that. I can’t wait to visit the ranch. A blend of 30% Cabernet Sauvignon, 20% Cabernet Franc and 50% Syrah, it’s another good value.

We bought this wine by the case.

duboisnj

quality posts: 0 Private Messages duboisnj

We did have the blend on the 09 wrong. Our notes from the festival were 50/50, but we've corrected to 50% Syrah, 30% Cab Sauv and 20% Cab Franc. Still delicious in our book at redwineplease.com

slm9951

quality posts: 14 Private Messages slm9951

What a coincidence! I recently received a bottle of Casey Flat Ranch 09 estate red blend for my birthday. On PNP, swirled and smelled tart cherry. Color is a beautiful deep plum. Not as deep a color as syrah. After sipping, I tasted tart cherry or berry, no spice and a smooth finish. It was not a hot finish. After aerating with the Soiree into a decanter and waiting an hour I tasted again. Swirled and smelled the cherry and a fresh meadow scent. Taste is still tart rich cherry but now some possible violets, which may be the meadow scent. Finish was still smooth but showing a little tannin now. Overall, enjoyable with some conplexities which would do well with grilled lamb chops and or beef.

caseyflatranch

quality posts: 2 Private Messages caseyflatranch

Hi Everyone its Brenda B from casey Flat Ranch!! I know you will love this wine!!
Let me know if I can help!
Cheers BB

caseyflatranch

andreaserben wrote:A good friend gifted me a bottle of this juice that I happen to be drinking right now.

Long finish.
IMHO better enjoyed alone or with dark (70%+/80%+) chocolate, but not with food.

I was kinda intrigued and I like it. Maybe also because I haven't had a blended ("composed") wine in months - and not a good/great blended wine even longer!

Ah - the composition - Syrah, Cabernet and Cabernet Franc... that explains it maybe. The Cab Franc gives it an interesting note.

Wait - do I hear this right in the voicemail? A 110% wine? 50% Syrah, 40% Cabernet Sauvignon, 20% Cabernet Franc?

Laura our winemaker must have been drinking the wine its 30 CS

tjhoulihan

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tjhoulihan
ego48 wrote:just need to mention that the other site does ship the 2010 to Georgia.

Which is a definite plus as I haven't been able to order wine on woot for months now.

+1. Many of the "other sites" are still shipping to GA...I'm petitioning those "other sites" to start offering some of the woot! favorites more often.

Winedavid39

quality posts: 200 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

kylecountryman wrote:Me too. I still stop by here, with a tear in my eye, that all I can do is window shop.

Good morning. looks like some unusual coincidences going on. go figure.

a couple of general comments. Be sure to read the small print on those sites out there. retailers are not suppose to ship to all but a few states. most disregard and put the exposure on the recipient. just sayin'.

For us do gooders over here, we'll have to maintain a stiff upper lip and stand our principled ground.

As for today's offer. we absolutely stand by it as a very good QPR wine worth buying directly from the winery to you.

thanks,

tjhoulihan

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tjhoulihan
caseyflatranch wrote:Hi Everyone its Brenda B from casey Flat Ranch!! I know you will love this wine!!
Let me know if I can help!
Cheers BB

Brenda B... can you offer this deal direct from the winery for those of us in states that WW can't ship to? (Namely GA).

vaaccess

quality posts: 17 Private Messages vaaccess
Winedavid39 wrote:Good morning. looks like some unusual coincidences going on. go figure.

a couple of general comments. Be sure to read the small print on those sites out there. retailers are not suppose to ship to all but a few states. most disregard and put the exposure on the recipient. just sayin'.

For us do gooders over here, we'll have to maintain a stiff upper lip and stand our principled ground.

As for today's offer. we absolutely stand by it as a very good QPR wine worth buying directly from the winery to you.

thanks,

Soooo....Those sites are relying on the purchaser to know whether they should or should not receive wine based on their relevant state laws?

I'm not a lawyer, and didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but I'm pretty sure that shouldn't hold up in court if they ever got challenged on their practice of knowingly breaking state laws.

I actually have a bottle of the 2009 CFR and will be popping it open soon and will post some notes.

Wine Cooler (Image) currently at 47% of Capacity

My Current Inventory on CellarTracker

caseyflatranch

tjhoulihan wrote:Brenda B... can you offer this deal direct from the winery for those of us in states that WW can't ship to? (Namely GA).

Hi Thank you for your interest..We can ship to Georgia ..Email me at Brenda@caseyflatranch.com and I will honor this wine woot price. This a great price and a tough one to match, but we love to please our new wine woot friends! You will love this wine!!

dlschier

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dlschier
vaaccess wrote:Soooo....Those sites are relying on the purchaser to know whether they should or should not receive wine based on their relevant state laws?)

WTSO policy is pretty slippery. Purchaser takes possession in NJ.WTSO provides shipping service, acting on behalf of the purchaser. By utilizing their service the purchaser represents that they are compliant with their local and state laws for shipping wine. How's that for passing the buck?

slm9951

caseyflatranch wrote:Hi Thank you for your interest..We can ship to Georgia ..Email me at Brenda@caseyflatranch.com and I will honor this wine woot price. This a great price and a tough one to match, but we love to please our new wine woot friends! You will love this wine!!

You are so kind!

vaaccess

So, I am fortunate to have a bottle of this wine and thought I'd share my experience with it so far. I'll try to post an update later today as the wine has more time to breathe.

Right off the bat, getting a nice nose of plum and a hint of earthy dust.

Pop and pour, this wine has some solid tannins that lead me to believe it'll age very well and that it also needs to continue to open.

*runs through Vinturi to accelerate aeration*

Plum nose is brighter now, with some dark berries coming through underneath. I'm also getting some black pepper on the nose.

Mouth feel is more broadened, now, in line with a full-bodied wine that is nicely balanced. The tannins are still firm, but under control. Getting some nice juicy blackberry flavors and cassis along the way. Finish is long and fills my mouth completely. I think this would pair really well with a nice beef stew.

Given how well this wine is drinking now, I'm going to mark it up a bit to a 91 since I think it will age very well and will be a great wine along the way.

(I cross-posted this on CellarTracker, btw...)

laurafromcaseyflatranch

quality posts: 1 Private Messages laurafromcaseyflatranch
andreaserben wrote:A good friend gifted me a bottle of this juice that I happen to be drinking right now.

Long finish.

I love how you just turned my mistake into a bonus!! Thank you! I'll blame it on the hours and hours of 2012 red wine blending/tasting... the mind becomes a sea of percentages.

laurafromcaseyflatranch

quality posts: 1 Private Messages laurafromcaseyflatranch
vaaccess wrote:So, I am fortunate to have a bottle of this wine and thought I'd share my experience with it so far. I'll try to post an update later today as the wine has more time to breathe.

Right off the bat, getting a nice nose of plum and a hint of earthy dust.

Pop and pour, this wine has some solid tannins that lead me to believe it'll age very well and that it also needs to continue to open.

*runs through Vinturi to accelerate aeration*

Plum nose is brighter now, with some dark berries coming through underneath. I'm also getting some black pepper on the nose.

Mouth feel is more broadened, now, in line with a full-bodied wine that is nicely balanced. The tannins are still firm, but under control. Getting some nice juicy blackberry flavors and cassis along the way. Finish is long and fills my mouth completely. I think this would pair really well with a nice beef stew.

Given how well this wine is drinking now, I'm going to mark it up a bit to a 91 since I think it will age very well and will be a great wine along the way.

(I cross-posted this on CellarTracker, btw...)

Thank you for the nice description and the beautiful photo!

slm9951

Later this evening,I poured a glass and I can not believe how beautifully this wine has opened. The tartness is gone and the palate is deep and plummy! It is delicious! The tannins are no longer very evident on the finish- the finish is smooth and lucious. What a wine! Needs some time to open for sure. Kudos CFR!

kaolis

quality posts: 27 Private Messages kaolis
Winedavid39 wrote:Good morning. looks like some unusual coincidences going on. go figure.

thanks,

WD, can you please explain exactly what you mean by buying wine directly from the winery? Do you not ever take possession of the wine? Does all of your wine ship exactly as it would if bought from the winery? How does your model differ from WTSO? Seems to be some defense on your point of view on what others are doing, but never any specifics. Can you please explain in black and white and in simple terms what you are alluding to?

vaaccess

slm9951 wrote:Later this evening,I poured a glass and I can not believe how beautifully this wine has opened. The tartness is gone and the palate is deep and plummy! It is delicious! The tannins are no longer very evident on the finish- the finish is smooth and lucious. What a wine! Needs some time to open for sure. Kudos CFR!

I was just getting back online to post the same. Wine is much better now, for sure. The Vinturi did help in the beginning, but letting this thing breathe for a few hours made a huge difference. I'm still getting a medium/strong amount of tannins, but they are silky now and would agree that they dissipate more quickly at the end, but the wine still has a super long finish. Great juice. Yummay.

mommadeb1

quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1

just getting around to checking woot....This definitely sounds yummy! unfortunately I have no room!!!