MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

PoSt away folks!!!


Quality Posts

  • (8:45 PM, 11/6/2013) MarkDaSpark cheers about Michigan.



Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark



cjsiege wrote:List of previous WW gatherings by area.
New list in the Gatherings tab and Old list in the Community tab. Great reading and great examples of how to set up a Get-Together Thread.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Upcoming Woot Wine Gatherings…All The News for the week of November 3
Attend or Host a Get-Together in your area!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
November
11/16: SoCal#30: Santa Barbara Winery Weekend
11/29: NoVA/DC #30: 5th Annual Leftovers Feasting
11/29: Connecticut #?: Black Friday/White Bear
TBD: October Trip to Taldeschi, Hawley & Handal

January
TBD: Buffalo/WNY #11: Icewine Festival

Pending
TBD: Atlanta #1
TBD: NYC Tasting #??: A Tribute (interest thread)
TBD: NorCal #?: Open invitation to the New Muscardini Tasting Room

No events in your area??? Start one! Create an interest thread in the GATHERINGS Community Tab.




So join or create a WW Gathering!


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

vaaccess


quality posts: 17 Private Messages vaaccess

Slow start to the pub this week!

So, I may have mentioned it before, but I made some Cab Sauv (must from California) and didn't degas it enough. And, the wine is bottled now.

I've tried shaking the bottle and letting it air repeatedly, but the CO2 isn't quick enough to go away. If I leave it sitting out for a LONG time without a cork or in a glass, it does get better.

Since I have 30 of these bottles, I'm tempted to do one of two things:
1) Dump it and use the bottles for another wine that I'll make.
2) Dump everything back into a Carboy and stir the living heck out of it to try and release the CO2, then rebottle.

Anyone gone through this before and have a suggestion?

Wine Cooler (Image) currently at 47% of Capacity

My Current Inventory on CellarTracker

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
vaaccess wrote:Slow start to the pub this week!

So, I may have mentioned it before, but I made some Cab Sauv (must from California) and didn't degas it enough. And, the wine is bottled now.

I've tried shaking the bottle and letting it air repeatedly, but the CO2 isn't quick enough to go away. If I leave it sitting out for a LONG time without a cork or in a glass, it does get better.

Since I have 30 of these bottles, I'm tempted to do one of two things:
1) Dump it and use the bottles for another wine that I'll make.
2) Dump everything back into a Carboy and stir the living heck out of it to try and release the CO2, then rebottle.

Anyone gone through this before and have a suggestion?



Everyone is still recovering from the extra hour!


If it's fine with a long decant, I wouldn't dump it. Just realize that you need to open the bottle however long before you want to drink!!


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

North316


quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
vaaccess wrote:Slow start to the pub this week!

So, I may have mentioned it before, but I made some Cab Sauv (must from California) and didn't degas it enough. And, the wine is bottled now.

I've tried shaking the bottle and letting it air repeatedly, but the CO2 isn't quick enough to go away. If I leave it sitting out for a LONG time without a cork or in a glass, it does get better.

Since I have 30 of these bottles, I'm tempted to do one of two things:
1) Dump it and use the bottles for another wine that I'll make.
2) Dump everything back into a Carboy and stir the living heck out of it to try and release the CO2, then rebottle.

Anyone gone through this before and have a suggestion?



Red wine vinegar

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 617 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff



FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

vaaccess


quality posts: 17 Private Messages vaaccess
North316 wrote:Red wine vinegar



Nah...I don't think it will turn into vinegar easily. I actually think that the excess CO2 will help preserve the wine for longer than normal...???!!!???

Wine Cooler (Image) currently at 47% of Capacity

My Current Inventory on CellarTracker

mommadeb1


quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1

Hope everyone had a good monday! Long day.... first day with new boss.. didn't really get a chance to talk to him... but he has a great reputation..we shall see how the rest of the week turns out...

bahwm


quality posts: 34 Private Messages bahwm

What a great way to use leftovers! We had some leftover crab meat from the crab timales on Sat. We took the leftover avocado soaked in the citrus dressing, the crabmeat and some pickled ginger slices and mixed them all with some field greens. What a yummy salad! This is definitely some thing to remember for the summer! Leftover Celestial Pork Roast with mashed potatoes and oven roasted beets.

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

bahwm


quality posts: 34 Private Messages bahwm
mommadeb1 wrote:Hope everyone had a good monday! Long day.... first day with new boss.. didn't really get a chance to talk to him... but he has a great reputation..we shall see how the rest of the week turns out...


Hope all goes well. We have a Staff Dev Day tomorrow. So much stuff going on and driving us nuts with the end of the quarter, SDP BoD Mtng, Benefit for one of our local Pork Farmers, need to have a plumber come in on the Veteran's Day holiday and maybe even a chimney sweep for the fireplace and grades due for ddeuddeg on Fri and me, next Wed, oh, and I forgot, a French Crêpe Extravaganza for my French kids the day before grades are due! Way to go on planning! Plug along, plug along!

And, I totally forgot to head back to school today to get my flu shot! Next doctor's appt in two weeks. I may just go to the local pharmacy!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

mommadeb1


quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1
bahwm wrote:Hope all goes well. We have a Staff Dev Day tomorrow. So much stuff going on and driving us nuts with the end of the quarter, SDP BoD Mtng, Benefit for one of our local Pork Farmers, need to have a plumber come in on the Veteran's Day holiday and maybe even a chimney sweep for the fireplace and grades due for ddeuddeg on Fri and me, next Wed, oh, and I forgot, a French Crêpe Extravaganza for my French kids the day before grades are due! Way to go on planning! Plug along, plug along!

And, I totally forgot to head back to school today to get my flu shot! Next doctor's appt in two weeks. I may just go to the local pharmacy!



I'm coming to your house for leftovers!!
right now with all the budget cuts, we shall see how long I get to work for.....keeping my fingers crossed that I can work the whole year!!

Flu shot? that is one that I pass on.... I know they say you can't get the flu from the shot... but I tried 2 years in a row and when I did... within a few days...bamo...I got the flu... the worse I have ever had....so now I don't get it...

bahwm


quality posts: 34 Private Messages bahwm
mommadeb1 wrote:I'm coming to your house for leftovers!!
right now with all the budget cuts, we shall see how long I get to work for.....keeping my fingers crossed that I can work the whole year!!

Flu shot? that is one that I pass on.... I know they say you can't get the flu from the shot... but I tried 2 years in a row and when I did... within a few days...bamo...I got the flu... the worse I have ever had....so now I don't get it...


I have been getting the flu shot for at least the past ten years, maybe more. With all of the crud that I am exposed to, I need as much help as I can get! I do believe that the flu shot and a nasty bout of the flu that I had about 20 years ago helped last year's bout to be not as severe for me. Yeah, I was wiped out for two weeks but that was really the worst of it for me. If that is the only type of flu I get, I'll take it!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

mommadeb1


quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1
bahwm wrote:I have been getting the flu shot for at least the past ten years, maybe more. With all of the crud that I am exposed to, I need as much help as I can get! I do believe that the flu shot and a nasty bout of the flu that I had about 20 years ago helped last year's bout to be not as severe for me. Yeah, I was wiped out for two weeks but that was really the worst of it for me. If that is the only type of flu I get, I'll take it!



I got it because I worked retail.. Both times I was sick for 2 weeks, as in I couldn't get out of bed sick!!

klezman


quality posts: 130 Private Messages klezman
vaaccess wrote:Nah...I don't think it will turn into vinegar easily. I actually think that the excess CO2 will help preserve the wine for longer than normal...???!!!???



Makes sense...it raises the acidity slightly and increases buffering capabilities.
Of just dump it all back in the carboy for a few days with a good airlock. The CO2 will quickly displace the oxygen and I doubt you'll experience any significant aging or oxidation of the wine in that time.

2014: 57 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2011 Wellington Cab & Merlot, Roessler 2009 Bluejay, 2010 Bell Cabernet
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

klezman


quality posts: 130 Private Messages klezman

Soooo..is anybody thinking of going to the Noceto 50% off sale the morning of Black Friday? All current vintages at 50% off means I want to stock up on a few things (because clearly I need more wine). If so, I'll give you a list and pay you off asap. Let me know!

2014: 57 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2011 Wellington Cab & Merlot, Roessler 2009 Bluejay, 2010 Bell Cabernet
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

trifecta


quality posts: 74 Private Messages trifecta
klezman wrote:Soooo..is anybody thinking of going to the Noceto 50% off sale the morning of Black Friday? All current vintages at 50% off means I want to stock up on a few things (because clearly I need more wine). If so, I'll give you a list and pay you off asap. Let me know!



No help on this. But our futures are in at Hawley. I still need to pick them up, but they are now available.

vaaccess


quality posts: 17 Private Messages vaaccess
klezman wrote:Makes sense...it raises the acidity slightly and increases buffering capabilities.
Of just dump it all back in the carboy for a few days with a good airlock. The CO2 will quickly displace the oxygen and I doubt you'll experience any significant aging or oxidation of the wine in that time.



*nods* I think it's worth a shot. Worst case...It goes from bad to worse. Maybe I'll do that today!

Wine Cooler (Image) currently at 47% of Capacity

My Current Inventory on CellarTracker

klezman


quality posts: 130 Private Messages klezman
trifecta wrote:No help on this. But our futures are in at Hawley. I still need to pick them up, but they are now available.



Nifty. No rush on my end, especially since I doubt I'll be drinking them for another 2+ years. Also let me know if I should expect those 06 Merlots from way back at some point. When you guys going to visit SoCal??

2014: 57 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2011 Wellington Cab & Merlot, Roessler 2009 Bluejay, 2010 Bell Cabernet
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

trifecta


quality posts: 74 Private Messages trifecta
klezman wrote:Nifty. No rush on my end, especially since I doubt I'll be drinking them for another 2+ years. Also let me know if I should expect those 06 Merlots from way back at some point. When you guys going to visit SoCal??



'06 Merlot.... all of my bottles went to WA. They have since put that vintage on "not for sale; library". I have been working on a few people at the winery/TR to let me snag some, but still don't know if the price went up. I will keep you posted.

I have a total of 7 bottles of the meritage (and 4 for you). I am tempted to open one soon because I only had one barrel sample about 3 months before your trip out there. Might need to check in and determine ageability once per year for a while . Their 2012 meritage went straight into the barrel together (cab, merlot, cab franc; all estate) and that is downright ridiculous based on the barrel samples we tried.

In terms of SoCal. We would like to make it down, and we are somewhat targeting February for a trip to Santa Barbara/San Diego, but that will depend on when DnD falls.

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
trifecta wrote:'06 Merlot.... all of my bottles went to WA. They have since put that vintage on "not for sale; library". I have been working on a few people at the winery/TR to let me snag some, but still don't know if the price went up. I will keep you posted.

I have a total of 7 bottles of the meritage (and 4 for you). I am tempted to open one soon because I only had one barrel sample about 3 months before your trip out there. Might need to check in and determine ageability once per year for a while . Their 2012 meritage went straight into the barrel together (cab, merlot, cab franc; all estate) and that is downright ridiculous based on the barrel samples we tried.

In terms of SoCal. We would like to make it down, and we are somewhat targeting February for a trip to Santa Barbara/San Diego, but that will depend on when DnD falls.




D&D falls on the 3rd Friday. 2/21.


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

trifecta


quality posts: 74 Private Messages trifecta
MarkDaSpark wrote:D&D falls on the 3rd Friday. 2/21.



Thanks. Hadn't looked at the website in a while, and for some reason I still am not getting the member emails... Pretty stoked that Anaba has been added.

We very well may travel down to San Diego the week prior to DnD, and return in time for the festivities. I will have to chat with the boss (SWMBO) about this over the next few weeks.

rjquillin


quality posts: 189 Private Messages rjquillin
trifecta wrote:We very well may travel down to San Diego the week prior to DnD, and return in time for the festivities. I will have to chat with the boss (SWMBO) about this over the next few weeks.

Check PM's.

CT

mommadeb1


quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1
MarkDaSpark wrote:D&D falls on the 3rd Friday. 2/21.



ohhhhh D&D

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
mommadeb1 wrote:ohhhhh D&D



You guys coming again?



Should probably start the thread in a bit. Cheron would already have started it.


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

rjquillin


quality posts: 189 Private Messages rjquillin
MarkDaSpark wrote:D&D falls on the 3rd Friday. 2/21.

Has it really been a year already?

mommadeb1 wrote:ohhhhh D&D

Another rendezvous in the hall?

And another RPM tour would be due later this year as well!!!
Never too early to think/plan for that, or at least hope...


CT

bahwm


quality posts: 34 Private Messages bahwm
MarkDaSpark wrote:You guys coming again?



Should probably start the thread in a bit. Cheron would already have started it.


Not an option for us. We'll be on the far Eastcoast. I'll then be back to school for three days and off to Québec for the rest of the week!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
bahwm wrote:Not an option for us. We'll be on the far Eastcoast. I'll then be back to school for three days and off to Québec for the rest of the week!



Hopefully, we'll see you in July on the RPM 2014 Tour!


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

bahwm


quality posts: 34 Private Messages bahwm
MarkDaSpark wrote:Hopefully, we'll see you in July on the RPM 2014 Tour!


Hopefully.

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

vaaccess


quality posts: 17 Private Messages vaaccess
vaaccess wrote:*nods* I think it's worth a shot. Worst case...It goes from bad to worse. Maybe I'll do that today!



Actually, based on a conversation I've been having with some other winemakers, I think I have Malolactic Fermentation (MLF). Will be trying a few things to see if I can "correct" the issue. One thing I'll be trying is heating it up to 140-degrees to kill it off and release the gas. Should be interesting!

Wine Cooler (Image) currently at 47% of Capacity

My Current Inventory on CellarTracker

trifecta


quality posts: 74 Private Messages trifecta
vaaccess wrote:Actually, based on a conversation I've been having with some other winemakers, I think I have Malolactic Fermentation (MLF). Will be trying a few things to see if I can "correct" the issue. One thing I'll be trying is heating it up to 140-degrees to kill it off and release the gas. Should be interesting!



Did you not inoculate for malo? It is typically a goal for almost all reds. Are you getting an ongoing malo conversion?

tenuki


quality posts: 7 Private Messages tenuki
MarkDaSpark wrote:You guys coming again?



Should probably start the thread in a bit. Cheron would already have started it.



Came here to comment on this :P Probably want two tickets again though by this point I should probably just join groupies.

Also Arthur was wondering if we're doing another Vegas wine

CT

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
tenuki wrote:Came here to comment on this :P Probably want two tickets again though by this point I should probably just join groupies.

Also Arthur was wondering if we're doing another Vegas wine



It's probably too late at this point for a Vegas wine. Will contact them to see about next year, and requirements. It was a lot of work for Sanity, since she and her hubby had to go once a week to "stir the pot" before it went into barrel. And since they're MIA, we may need to pay more to have someone do it for us.

On the plus side, their new facility means only one trip a year to crush grapes and then bottle the previous year's crush.


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

vaaccess


quality posts: 17 Private Messages vaaccess
trifecta wrote:Did you not inoculate for malo? It is typically a goal for almost all reds. Are you getting an ongoing malo conversion?



I did a 6-week kit. First step was to put in Bentonite and then yeast. I waited until the SG got down to 1.0 (took 9 days instead of the approximate 12 days from the instructions) and then racked it into a Carboy. I did not degas at this step. Waiting for the secondary to finish and the SG to get down to .998 took 43 days instead of the 20-25 that the directions expected. I used a drill attachment to degass and got it to the point where it wouldn't foam up anymore. Following the directions, I then added Kieselsol, Chitosan, and stabilizer. I remember not adding the sorbate and did not sweeten the wine. I then let it sit for about 30 days (directions said 10 days) before following the bottling directions. I remember the wine always having a hint of the flavor/smell that it has now, but do feel that it has gotten worse versus when I was testing it through the process.

It is probably continuing to convert at this point since I don't think anything will stop it. I am going to heat a bottle up to 140-degrees to kill it, then will let it cool and see if it made a difference. (An idea someone else provided.) If it does, I'll proceed to do that for the rest.

And...I soaked each bottle in 2-step for 24 hours, then used a hose attachment to wash them vigorously, then used potassium metabisulfite to sanitize before bottling...

Wine Cooler (Image) currently at 47% of Capacity

My Current Inventory on CellarTracker

polarbear22


quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
vaaccess wrote:*nods* I think it's worth a shot. Worst case...It goes from bad to worse. Maybe I'll do that today!


Failure to read ahead. Nothing to see here.

If RPM does not do an RPM tour, we should try to organize a WW tour. May be not as educational, but we can still get together.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

kylemittskus


quality posts: 233 Private Messages kylemittskus

There's some bot conspiracy theorist in today's thread. Weirdo.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

mommadeb1


quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1
MarkDaSpark wrote:You guys coming again?



Should probably start the thread in a bit. Cheron would already have started it.



I am trying to talk mr. mommadeb into both D&D and RPM!!

mommadeb1


quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1
rjquillin wrote:Another rendezvous in the hall?

And another RPM tour would be due later this year as well!!!
Never too early to think/plan for that, or at least hope...



would love to meet you in the hall again!!

bahwm


quality posts: 34 Private Messages bahwm
mommadeb1 wrote:I am trying to talk mr. mommadeb into both D&D and RPM!!


And the Icewine Festival?

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

mommadeb1


quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1
bahwm wrote:And the Icewine Festival?



yup!! somehow I don't see all 3 happening....for some strange reason...

vaaccess


quality posts: 17 Private Messages vaaccess
polarbear22 wrote:Failure to read ahead. Nothing to see here.

If RPM does not do an RPM tour, we should try to organize a WW tour. May be not as educational, but we can still get together.



Would love to do it at some point. Right now, though, job stuff is questionable so need to be smart with the money...

Wine Cooler (Image) currently at 47% of Capacity

My Current Inventory on CellarTracker