2009 Cabernet Sauvignon, Dry Creek Valley
2010 Syrah, Dry Creek Valley
2011 Inspiration Zinfandel, Dry Creek Valley
CT links above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

klezman

quality posts: 122 Private Messages klezman

A Zin at 13.4% and a Syrah clocking in around 15%?! The world has gone topsy turvy! I definitely want this...can't let the siwbm fall though.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

cjsiege wrote:List of previous WW gatherings by area.
New list in the Gatherings tab and Old list in the Community tab. Great reading and great examples of how to set up a Get-Together Thread.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Upcoming Woot Wine Gatherings…All The News for the week of November 3
Attend or Host a Get-Together in your area!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
November
11/16: SoCal#30: Santa Barbara Winery Weekend
11/29: NoVA/DC #30: 5th Annual Leftovers Feasting
11/29: Connecticut #?: Black Friday/White Bear
TBD: October Trip to Taldeschi, Hawley & Handal

January
TBD: Buffalo/WNY #11: Icewine Festival

Pending
TBD: Atlanta #1
TBD: NYC Tasting #??: A Tribute (interest thread)
TBD: NorCal #?: Open invitation to the New Muscardini Tasting Room

No events in your area??? Start one! Create an interest thread in the GATHERINGS Community Tab.

So join or create a WW Gathering!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

cortot20

quality posts: 138 Private Messages cortot20
klezman wrote:A Zin at 13.4% and a Syrah clocking in around 15%?! The world has gone topsy turvy! I definitely want this...can't let the siwbm fall though.

I too want these wines badly and I too can't buy anything probably for the rest of the year.

CT

chipgreen

quality posts: 187 Private Messages chipgreen
cortot20 wrote:I too want these wines badly and I too can't buy anything probably for the rest of the year.

EDIT

Jon makes some great juice - everyone eligible to purchase these should seriously consider doing so!

dianefreda

quality posts: 9 Private Messages dianefreda
cortot20 wrote:I too want these wines badly and I too can't buy anything probably for the rest of the year.

I do too but until we get shipping back to Virginia or at least Georgia I am out. I love these wines and the lables are great- I miss you wine woot.

trifecta

quality posts: 72 Private Messages trifecta

Jon is a fantastic winemaker. I have tasted through his cab, syrah, and Zinfandel; although they may have been different vintages. You should expect a restrained style that expresses the fruit and the soil of dry creek. You should also expect great balance in these as well. I don't remember the higher alc being noticeable on the syrah.

His dry creek zin is one the best I have tried. It is a bit less spice and bramble than the average dry creek zin, but the fruit is amzing.

bdlsmoran

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bdlsmoran

+1

pagano71

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pagano71

Would love to give Inspiration another try after the debacle of tasting thier 2008 Los Carneros Pinot Noir last year.

twstdvn

quality posts: 72 Private Messages twstdvn
dianefreda wrote:I do too but until we get shipping back to Virginia or at least Georgia I am out. I love these wines and the lables are great- I miss you wine woot.

Dianefreeda - you can always send me an email at jon@inspirationvineyards.com and I can see what I can do... ;)

twstdvn

pagano71 wrote:Would love to give Inspiration another try after the debacle of tasting thier 2008 Los Carneros Pinot Noir last year.

I appreciate your concern pagano71 & I'm sorry you felt it was a debacle.

1st - these are totally different wines - all unfiltered, however also racked multiple times to eliminate almost all of the sediment. They are selling at full price w/out any trouble in my tasting room and when I'm on the road showing them. I stand behind all of them - they are totally solid!

2nd - I stand behind the '08 Pinot and took care of EVERYONE who reached out to me who were disappointed after the woot.

I tried to clearly communicate that the '08 could have used filtration - the wine is totally different when allowed to settle.

I do hope I can earn your business again and I welcome more questions and dialog.

trifecta

quality posts: 72 Private Messages trifecta
twstdvn wrote:
2nd - I stand behind the '08 Pinot and took care of EVERYONE who reached out to me who were disappointed after the woot.

I tried to clearly communicate that the '08 could have used filtration - the wine is totally different when allowed to settle.

I do hope I can earn your business again and I welcome more questions and dialog.

That has to be one of my favorite california pinots. Very old world. Really fantastic. Kudos Jon.

twstdvn

trifecta wrote:Jon is a fantastic winemaker. I have tasted through his cab, syrah, and Zinfandel; although they may have been different vintages. You should expect a restrained style that expresses the fruit and the soil of dry creek. You should also expect great balance in these as well. I don't remember the higher alc being noticeable on the syrah.

His dry creek zin is one the best I have tried. It is a bit less spice and bramble than the average dry creek zin, but the fruit is amzing.

Thanks for the kind words Trifecta - Yes, the over 15 on the Syrah frightens some folks, but the wine hides the alcohol very well. That said - I wouldn't buy the Syrah to hold for another 10 years. It's drinking good now - will drink even better over the next two years. By 2016, I know it will still be holding up, but I would suggest that you consider consuming it by then. Reason being - alcohol does shorten age-ability.

The Zinfandel and Cabernet keep getting better and better each time I try them and will also start showing their very best in another 1 to 2 years - however I feel both wines can hold for a longer period of time than the Syrah because they are more balanced between alcohol, fruit and acidity.

One final note on the Syrah - I had some folks in at the winery yesterday (we just completed a huge event and saw probably 500 people over 2 days.) Who had spent the day looking for a good Syrah. They were completely wowed by the '10 which got their attention...

1st time at the winery - They wanted to know what I was offering as barrel futures in March, so I let them try some 2012 out of the barrel - they were ready to sign up for it right then... They then asked if I had an older Syrah with just another year of age because they wanted it for the holiday's - I let them try the '09 and they were hooked. They saved 15% on 12 - so today's WOOT is an awesome opportunity to try these three wines. As for my customers, they promised to be back in March for more Syrah - I have another fan of our Syrah program.

klezman

trifecta wrote:That has to be one of my favorite california pinots. Very old world. Really fantastic. Kudos Jon.

This coming from you...now I wish I'd tried that one!

2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

rjquillin

quality posts: 173 Private Messages rjquillin
klezman wrote:This coming from you...now I wish I'd tried that one!

Looks like NorCal went in heavy on that 08PN. Remind me next gathering and I'll bring one, unless you make it down here first.
Wait, this won't travel well, you'll have to come visit!

CT

cortot20

rjquillin wrote:Looks like NorCal went in heavy on that 08PN. Remind me next gathering and I'll bring one, unless you make it down here first.

Yeah, that bottle needs to be stood up for a few days and decanted. It's really nice when handled delicately. I does not travel well though.

CT

twstdvn

cortot20 wrote:Yeah, that bottle needs to be stood up for a few days and decanted. It's really nice when handled delicately. I does not travel well though.

I'd love to be invited to the party and I'll bring some of my older wines including the 08 Pinot...

In fact, I will try a few of these older vintages today and report back!

bsevern

quality posts: 109 Private Messages bsevern
pagano71 wrote:Would love to give Inspiration another try after the debacle of tasting thier 2008 Los Carneros Pinot Noir last year.

This Pinot is awesome if you follow proper protocol for a non-filtered wine.

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 35 Private Messages fredrinaldi

The Cab is outstanding, if it were 3 Cabs I'd be all in, even though I have no room.

twstdvn

fredrinaldi wrote:The Cab is outstanding, if it were 3 Cabs I'd be all in, even though I have no room.

Thanks Fredrinaldi! I appreciate your support!
Cheers...
Jon

cortot20

twstdvn wrote:Thanks Fredrinaldi! I appreciate your support!
Cheers...
Jon

Jon, are you going to be showing the wines at any non big bear lake SoCal locations in the next few months?

CT

twstdvn

cortot20 wrote:Jon, are you going to be showing the wines at any non big bear lake SoCal locations in the next few months?

Ouch - nothing planned Corto20 - however, I'm very overdue! My problem - the best wine shop I was in has closed...

However, I'm totally up for a private event! ;) If I had a venue - the wine could follow - and sales follow that... hint hint

I'm guessing San Diego is too far south too, eh? I have some friends who live in San Diego who I could go visit. I could also make this a total road trip and link it to my next Big Bear visit. They want me back - I'm thinking once there's snow up in them thar hills I'll be back - say January????

twstdvn

Speaking of road trips - I will post here and if I could be directed where else to post, I will...

If I were to visit SoCal in early December or sometime in January, is there interest in doing a private wine event in San Diego?

I'm also heading to Illinois next week by way of Minneapolis and Stevens Point WI. I'm doing a private event in Stevens Point - and then I'm chalked full of events in Chicago and surrounds. If you'd like to learn more, by mid week my website will be updated. Or you can email at jon@inspirationvineyards.com - I know that I'll be doing a dinner at the Bodega Grill in Libertyville that still has some room.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
twstdvn wrote:Speaking of road trips - I will post here and if I could be directed where else to post, I will...

If I were to visit SoCal in early December or sometime in January, is there interest in doing a private wine event in San Diego?

I'm also heading to Illinois next week by way of Minneapolis and Stevens Point WI. I'm doing a private event in Stevens Point - and then I'm chalked full of events in Chicago and surrounds. If you'd like to learn more, by mid week my website will be updated. Or you can email at jon@inspirationvineyards.com - I know that I'll be doing a dinner at the Bodega Grill in Libertyville that still has some room.

Absolutely. I would post it here: the gatherings tab.

One of us in So Cal is in SD and it's about a 2 hour drive for most of the rest of us. I'm sure you'd get a few of us down there.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

klezman

rjquillin wrote:Looks like NorCal went in heavy on that 08PN. Remind me next gathering and I'll bring one, unless you make it down here first.

So then invite us! Xmas time we may also take a trip down there to see the fam.

klezman

kylemittskus wrote:Absolutely. I would post it here: the gatherings tab.

One of us in So Cal is in SD and it's about a 2 hour drive for most of the rest of us. I'm sure you'd get a few of us down there.

All true. If you want a place to host and crash in LA, we can definitely host. I'm sure some of the other LA folk would say the same (and they have larger places).

twstdvn

klezman wrote:All true. If you want a place to host and crash in LA, we can definitely host. I'm sure some of the other LA folk would say the same (and they have larger places).

OK - can we arrange via email? I sent a note to my friends in SD. I'm happy to fly or drive down - I just know that:

a: it won't happen until AFTER Thanksgiving

b: I'd love to try and have some new wines to show off - translation - end of January.

However, I could be coexed to come down earlier...

We should continue offline - and set some events up!

rjquillin

quality posts: 173 Private Messages rjquillin
twstdvn wrote:Ouch - nothing planned Corto20 - however, I'm very overdue! My problem - the best wine shop I was in has closed...

However, I'm totally up for a private event! ;) If I had a venue - the wine could follow - and sales follow that... hint hint

I'm guessing San Diego is too far south too, eh? I have some friends who live in San Diego who I could go visit. I could also make this a total road trip and link it to my next Big Bear visit. They want me back - I'm thinking once there's snow up in them thar hills I'll be back - say January????

I'd sure be up for a San Diego visit!
Not a huge place here, but we could make room...

CT

cortot20

twstdvn wrote:Ouch - nothing planned Corto20 - however, I'm very overdue! My problem - the best wine shop I was in has closed...

BTW the California wine and cheese shop in Monrovia is still alive and kicking despite rumors of it's demise.

CT

twstdvn

cortot20 wrote:BTW the California wine and cheese shop in Monrovia is still alive and kicking despite rumors of it's demise.

That's great! I think he's winding down though - I love Tom & Janet! They are awesome folks.