WootBot


quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Stronghold Mandala White Blend (6)

Speed to First Woot:
11m 27.334s
First Sucker:
thechabs
Last Wooter to Woot:
knusper
Last Purchase:
9 months ago
Order Pace (rank):
Bottom 27% of Wine Woots
Top 43% of all Woots
Woots Sold (rank):
Bottom 37% of Wine Woots
Top 42% of all Woots

Purchaser Experience

  • 6% first woot
  • 4% second woot
  • 16% < 10 woots
  • 22% < 25 woots
  • 51% ≥ 25 woots

Purchaser Seniority

  • 4% joined today
  • 0% one week old
  • 2% one month old
  • 16% one year old
  • 78% > one year old

Quantity Breakdown

  • 88% bought 1
  • 12% bought 2
  • 0% bought 3

Percentage of Sales Per Hour

10%
4%
4%
0%
0%
2%
2%
4%
8%
8%
14%
12%
6%
4%
2%
4%
4%
2%
2%
0%
2%
0%
0%
4%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting



Quality Posts


Cesare


quality posts: 1566 Private Messages Cesare

Stronghold Mandala White Blend 6-Pack
$59.99 $137.00 56% off List Price
2011 Mandala II White Blend
CT link above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

slephoto


quality posts: 3 Private Messages slephoto

Horrid stuff. I'm a buyer for a wine shop, the distributor who has all of Maynard's wines for this state had their trade show a few weeks back & I got to try a number of them. While this wasn't as bad as the Merkin Chupacabra White, it was poorly made and pretty much no one at the show liked it. The red from this same line's much better, we bought it & used it in a successful tasting last week. The white's not worth the money.

cmaldoon


quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
slephoto wrote:Horrid stuff. I'm a buyer for a wine shop, the distributor who has all of Maynard's wines for this state had their trade show a few weeks back & I got to try a number of them. While this wasn't as bad as the Merkin Chupacabra White, it was poorly made and pretty much no one at the show liked it. The red from this same line's much better, we bought it & used it in a successful tasting last week. The white's not worth the money.


Even at only $10/bottle?

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

slephoto


quality posts: 3 Private Messages slephoto
cmaldoon wrote:Even at only $10/bottle?



Yup. List at the shop for these (it's line priced with the red) is only $12.99 so you're not saving much & the quality isn't there. Plenty of other better white blends have shown up here.

Kingu


quality posts: 41 Private Messages Kingu

Recent Groupon was 59.99 with free shipping. Guess Woot buyer decided to not get a better deal.

North316


quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

Stay tuned, I will posted some notes on this sometime shortly after lunch (EST).

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

funbunny


quality posts: 25 Private Messages funbunny

Damn raccoon stole my pumpkin off the porch again but this time left a bottle of wine in it's place. Tried it over the weekend with some friends - overall, this would be an easy drinking universal white. Upon first few sips I thought it was reminiscent of a Pinot Gris, it has light fruit characteristics like apricot and peach with a more acidic finish that grabbed the sides of your tongue like a tart apple. Others in the group felt it was closer to an off dry Riesling with a hit of sweetness. I do not think it is a bad wine as others have stated, but don't expect something lofty and sophisticated. At this price point, I do feel this wine would be well suited to serve at a party because again, it is a refreshing easy drinker and I think it will satisfy a lot of unknown palates. It may not be Malt-O-Meal, but I think I can safely say - Good Stuff Maynard.

"Wine is sunshine held together by water" - Galileo Galilei

arizonawineguy


quality posts: 1 Private Messages arizonawineguy
slephoto wrote:Horrid stuff. I'm a buyer for a wine shop, the distributor who has all of Maynard's wines for this state had their trade show a few weeks back & I got to try a number of them. While this wasn't as bad as the Merkin Chupacabra White, it was poorly made and pretty much no one at the show liked it. The red from this same line's much better, we bought it & used it in a successful tasting last week. The white's not worth the money.



I'm guessing you got what we call a one off. I personally tasted this yesterday and it is tasting just fine. And it is defiinitely worth the $10. Thanks.

carlinwatts


quality posts: 0 Private Messages carlinwatts

As a huge Tool fan, it pains me to say this is the WORST white wine I've ever had. I got a three bottles of it with three of the red (also not great) and the last bottle I wouldn't even cook with. Seriously horrible horrible stuff.

arizonawineguy


quality posts: 1 Private Messages arizonawineguy
funbunny wrote:Damn raccoon stole my pumpkin off the porch again but this time left a bottle of wine in it's place. Tried it over the weekend with some friends - overall, this would be an easy drinking universal white. Upon first few sips I thought it was reminiscent of a Pinot Gris, it has light fruit characteristics like apricot and peach with a more acidic finish that grabbed the sides of your tongue like a tart apple. Others in the group felt it was closer to an off dry Riesling with a hit of sweetness. I do not think it is a bad wine as others have stated, but don't expect something lofty and sophisticated. At this price point, I do feel this wine would be well suited to serve at a party because again, it is a refreshing easy drinker and I think it will satisfy a lot of unknown palates. It may not be Malt-O-Meal, but I think I can safely say - Good Stuff Maynard.



Yeah,good party wine.

dlschier


quality posts: 0 Private Messages dlschier

It seems strange to me that several people who very rarely post have come out to trounce this wine.

arizonawineguy


quality posts: 1 Private Messages arizonawineguy

Yup. I don't get it either. The wine is a solid wine and delicious. Great companion to seafood!

neilfindswine


quality posts: 168 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

Chiming in here... I'd say FunBunny pretty much nailed it.

I had my bottle open at my house 2 Sundays ago when my daughters friends had a playdate (the parents were drinking wine, not the kids), and the bottle was emptied quickly, no complaints. I thought it tasted just fine. Not overly complex; an easy drinking, quaffable white wine. And today, $10 bucks a bottle...

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

arizonawineguy


quality posts: 1 Private Messages arizonawineguy
neilfindswine wrote:Chiming in here... I'd say FunBunny pretty much nailed it.

I had my bottle open at my house 2 Sundays ago when my daughters friends had a playdate (the parents were drinking wine, not the kids), and the bottle was emptied quickly, no complaints. I thought it tasted just fine. Not overly complex; an easy drinking, quaffable white wine. And today, $10 bucks a bottle...



Sounds like a good party to me! Thanks for sharing with a group. Best way to enjoy wines!

North316


quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

Nose: Citrus, lemon, touch of apples.

Color: Light straw

Palate: The nose very much carries through to the palate. Citrus, lemon, grapefruit, apples. Similar to the Roussanne's I have tried before. The Viognier is not overly present in the nose or the palate, however, it comes through in the mouthfeel adding a nice roundness.

There is some nice acid to the wine and just a touch of sweetness from the viognier. It's nearly in balance, but does miss the mark a bit there.

All in all, this is definitely a decent everyday sipper, can't ask too much more from a $10 bottle. I think I prefer this slightly on the colder end. As it warms there is a hint of bitterness that comes through, that could be off-putting to some who are more sensitive it.

Not complex and won't blow you away, but certainly not plonk as the random strangers here have noted.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

arizonawineguy


quality posts: 1 Private Messages arizonawineguy

Hey North316! Thanks for tasting and posting your positive comments on here along with your thoughts. Glad you enjoyed!

arizonawineguy


quality posts: 1 Private Messages arizonawineguy

Hey all you Wine Wooters! Just thought I'd jump out let you know that I'm the GM here at Arizona Stronghold Vineyards, so if you have any questions, fire away! I've been in the wine industry for 35 years now- working from scrubbing floors and washing tanks all the way to building wineries and running them along with just about every job there is to do in this cool business along the way. Let me know if you have any questions whatsoever.
Mark

funbunny


quality posts: 25 Private Messages funbunny
arizonawineguy wrote:Yeah,good party wine.



One of the descriptions thrown around by my friends was "crowd pleaser". Soft enough for those with undeveloped palates, but still has a some umph for those with more experience. And I definitely think it is a wine to lure the beginners away from the Barefoot and Flip Flop style wines.

"Wine is sunshine held together by water" - Galileo Galilei

arizonawineguy


quality posts: 1 Private Messages arizonawineguy
funbunny wrote:One of the descriptions thrown around by my friends was "crowd pleaser". Soft enough for those with undeveloped palates, but still has a some umph for those with more experience. And I definitely think it is a wine to lure the beginners away from the Barefoot and Flip Flop style wines.



Yup. That's one of the main reasons why we did this blend- a palatable pleasing wine that isn't all pretentious and slapped full of oak. All our wines are that way. We want to express the varietal characters without overpowering the wines with ML or oak and yet be able to enjoy them with foods. Easily said, difficult to do.

slephoto


quality posts: 3 Private Messages slephoto
arizonawineguy wrote:I'm guessing you got what we call a one off. I personally tasted this yesterday and it is tasting just fine. And it is defiinitely worth the $10. Thanks.



Possibly. Just so no one thinks I'm talking baseless smack, here's a shot of Tom from Siema Wines (the distributor in Md and VA for these wines) pouring the Stronghold red at my shop last Monday:

The red was GREAT, I had customers in tonight asking for more. But at the trade show Siema did a few weeks ago where they were showing the Mandala white and the Merkin Chupacabra (photo!)

(you can see the whites in the second row, the Merkin and Stronghold labels are discernible)
the whites were just drinking poorly. Maybe the sample bottles the rep had were heat damaged or something, it happens. I've heard good things about these wines before, it just seemed unlikely that BOTH bottles would be bad.

arizonawineguy


quality posts: 1 Private Messages arizonawineguy
slephoto wrote:Possibly. Just so no one thinks I'm talking baseless smack, here's a shot of Tom from Siema Wines (the distributor in Md and VA for these wines) pouring the Stronghold red at my shop last Monday:

The red was GREAT, I had customers in tonight asking for more. But at the trade show Siema did a few weeks ago where they were showing the Mandala white and the Merkin Chupacabra (photo!)

(you can see the whites in the second row, the Merkin and Stronghold labels are discernible)
the whites were just drinking poorly. Maybe the sample bottles the rep had were heat damaged or something, it happens. I've heard good things about these wines before, it just seemed unlikely that BOTH bottles would be bad.



Tom was just out here at the winery not three weeks ago. He's a big fan of our wines and we thank him for his support over these years. In fact, he just placed an order for more Stronghold wines! Thanks Tom!

slephoto


quality posts: 3 Private Messages slephoto
arizonawineguy wrote:Tom was just out here at the winery not three weeks ago. He's a big fan of our wines and we thank him for his support over these years. In fact, he just placed an order for more Stronghold wines! Thanks Tom!



Tom's great. I'll talk to him about retasting the whites, we need more red in the store since it's doing so well. Maybe the last bottles were just off.