$69.99 $110.00 36% off List Price
2005 Phoenix Ranch Napa Syrah
2003 Phoenix Ranch Napa Syrah
CT links above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

jimjacks66

quality posts: 32 Private Messages jimjacks66

Cathy Corison makes fantastic wines. Had to take a flyer on this aged Syrah.

edit: But now after reading some of the CT notes, I am concerned plus the price on Woot seems much higher than when sold originally. But I know wine pricing has recovered since the "good old days"...

cortot20

quality posts: 152 Private Messages cortot20

Excited about these but they are way out of my current price range.

How involved is Cathy with the vineyard that this fruit comes from.?

CT

webdev511

quality posts: 38 Private Messages webdev511

Gotta wonder if these are related to her Helios Syrahs.

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58

I happened to have a bottle of the 2003 Phoenix Ranch, popped last Saturday and the damn thing is badly corked very very disappointed

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

karenhynes

quality posts: 11 Private Messages karenhynes
cortot20 wrote:Excited about these but they are way out of my current price range.

How involved is Cathy with the vineyard that this fruit comes from.?

I purchased 6 bottles of the 2006 from another site about a year ago, for $16.99/bottle plus ~$10 shipping (so, significantly less than this offering). The 2006 vintage was attribute to Cathy as well. My communications with Richard Phoenix at that time indicated that Cathy was deeply involved with making their Syrah until 2007 (made by Cathy and Jillian Phoenix). Jillian took over the winemaking after 2007.

Though I've not had either of the vintages offered today, I can say tat the 2006 was quite lovely with dark fruits and spice, and a bit of a floral nose. The 2006 vintage was cofermented with 5% Viognier. Richard said he would expect the 2006 to age beautifully for at least another 4-5 years, and with Cathy as winemaker, I would expect similar aging capability from the vintages offered today. Hopefully Phoenix Ranch will chime in later with additional information on today's offerings.

Cheers!

Wine is bottled poetry - Robert Louis Stevenson

randysanders

quality posts: 5 Private Messages randysanders

I see New York on the map. What's happening?

OK, I read the blog. Thank you WD. You've made my day!

woopdedoo

quality posts: 36 Private Messages woopdedoo
randysanders wrote:I see New York on the map. What's happening?

OK, I read the blog. Thank you WD. You've made my day!

And yet the hinterlands out here in Michigan remain wine.woot-less.

phoenixranchrichard

quality posts: 2 Private Messages phoenixranchrichard
tytiger58 wrote:I happened to have a bottle of the 2003 Phoenix Ranch, popped last Saturday and the damn thing is badly corked very very disappointed

Good morning, Unfortunately it happens from time to time. It is extremely disappointing. You can always contact us through our website and we will replace cork bottles. Cheers

RP

phoenixranchrichard

Good morning Wooters. A chilly brisk morning here in Napa. I want to thank all for your comments. We planted the vineyard in 98 and when we decided to make wine from the vineyard I approached Cathy as I have always been a huge fan. She agreed and yes part of the arrangement was she bottled a small amount under the Helios label. Phoenix Ranch is in a cool part of Southern Napa. Cathy and I both love the wines of the Northern Rhone and our wines are quite similar. Dark spice, with notes of violets, rose, lavender. But with the warm days we get those lush black currant blueberry fruits on the palate. Old world thinking new world sunshine is how I describe our wines.

mwfielder

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mwfielder

What would you consider to be the drinking window on these?

zero, count 'em, zero quality posts...

lassow

quality posts: 133 Private Messages lassow
jimjacks66 wrote:
edit: But now after reading some of the CT notes, I am concerned plus the price on Woot seems much higher than when sold originally. But I know wine pricing has recovered since the "good old days"...

The 2005 also made rounds on the other discount sites for much less. Why the significantly higher price here on w.w?

I like to talk about wine, but I'd rather drink it.

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
woopdedoo wrote:And yet the hinterlands out here in Michigan remain wine.woot-less.

But your friends in Buffalo remain ready to wootleg.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

phoenixranchrichard

mwfielder wrote:What would you consider to be the drinking window on these?

The 2003 feel will drink well for another year or two. The 2005 I actually had last night and feel has another 4 to 5 years of aging. Great fruit and balance

phoenixranchrichard

lassow wrote:The 2005 also made rounds on the other discount sites for much less. Why the significantly higher price here on w.w?

Its from our library stash! Its been quite a few years when we sold the 2005 at its opening price.

bobrush12866

quality posts: 8 Private Messages bobrush12866
phoenixranchrichard wrote:Good morning Wooters. A chilly brisk morning here in Napa. I want to thank all for your comments. We planted the vineyard in 98 and when we decided to make wine from the vineyard I approached Cathy as I have always been a huge fan. She agreed and yes part of the arrangement was she bottled a small amount under the Helios label. Phoenix Ranch is in a cool part of Southern Napa. Cathy and I both love the wines of the Northern Rhone and our wines are quite similar. Dark spice, with notes of violets, rose, lavender. But with the warm days we get those lush black currant blueberry fruits on the palate. Old world thinking new world sunshine is how I describe our wines.

If it's the same juice, this deal is priced too high since Cathy is selling her 2005 Helios Syrah for $38 a bottle.... Can buy either for essentially the same price....PASS at this price!

Edit: At $49.99, I'm in!

micahfishes

quality posts: 6 Private Messages micahfishes

I have not found wine.woot very compelling lately. Like, as in the last year in general. I just wanted to let someone at woot know that. Oh, to feel that thrill of buying up a good offer right before it sells out again...

lassow

quality posts: 133 Private Messages lassow
bobrush12866 wrote:
Edit: At $49.99, I'm in!

Out-the-door @ $49.99 I would also consider.

I like to talk about wine, but I'd rather drink it.

chipgreen

quality posts: 195 Private Messages chipgreen
phoenixranchrichard wrote:The 2003 feel will drink well for another year or two. The 2005 I actually had last night and feel has another 4 to 5 years of aging. Great fruit and balance

For me, the attraction of a library wine is its reliable provenance and extended drinking window. Selling wine near the end of its drinking window as a premium priced "library" selection seems a little untowards, even when bundled with a more age-worthy vintage.

I realize that dropping the "Cathy Corison" name invokes a Pavlovian-like response among wooters but I fail to see the value in this offer.

ryancorlew

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ryancorlew
tytiger58 wrote:I happened to have a bottle of the 2003 Phoenix Ranch, popped last Saturday and the damn thing is badly corked very very disappointed

Man, I hate to spend $75 + to get some wine that has been badly corked...

When I bought 5 bottles of Astrale e Terra 1999 Arcturus, 2 of them were great, and 3 of them had gone bad. tasted terrible. The problem with buying online, is, if something is wrong with the wine, you are SOL. However, if I go to my local wine shop, the owner has no issues with a customer bringing back a wine that was bad and replacing it on the spot for you...

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 35 Private Messages fredrinaldi
ryancorlew wrote:Man, I hate to spend $75 + to get some wine that has been badly corked...

When I bought 5 bottles of Astrale e Terra 1999 Arcturus, 2 of them were great, and 3 of them had gone bad. tasted terrible. The problem with buying online, is, if something is wrong with the wine, you are SOL. However, if I go to my local wine shop, the owner has no issues with a customer bringing back a wine that was bad and replacing it on the spot for you...

Woot is GREAT at replacing bad wine or any product, used them a few times

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
ryancorlew wrote:Man, I hate to spend $75 + to get some wine that has been badly corked...

Wine.Woot has always taken care of people that have gotten bad/corked bottles. Either by replacing it, or refunding the price. Most of the winemakers that participate will even replace it on their own. I've already had a couple that have done that for a bottle that I bought through woot which turned out to be corked. Unlike some of the other online deals sites, woot takes care of you if you get a bad bottle.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

bobrush12866

quality posts: 8 Private Messages bobrush12866
HitAnyKey42 wrote:Wine.Woot has always taken care of people that have gotten bad/corked bottles. Either by replacing it, or refunding the price. Most of the winemakers that participate will even replace it on their own. I've already had a couple that have done that for a bottle that I bought through woot which turned out to be corked. Unlike some of the other online deals sites, woot takes care of you if you get a bad bottle.

Absolutely the case. They have always come through on bad bottles.

Winedavid39

quality posts: 204 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

woopdedoo wrote:And yet the hinterlands out here in Michigan remain wine.woot-less.

working on it.

brainchasm

quality posts: 6 Private Messages brainchasm
micahfishes wrote:I have not found wine.woot very compelling lately. Like, as in the last year in general. I just wanted to let someone at woot know that. Oh, to feel that thrill of buying up a good offer right before it sells out again...

I'm right there with you micahfishes. I love Cathy and her cabs, but I have to pass on this.
And agreed, at 40-50, this would have been MUCH more compelling!

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus
chipgreen wrote:For me, the attraction of a library wine is its reliable provenance and extended drinking window. Selling wine near the end of its drinking window as a premium priced "library" selection seems a little untowards, even when bundled with a more age-worthy vintage.

I realize that dropping the "Cathy Corison" name invokes a Pavlovian-like response among wooters but I fail to see the value in this offer.

I love Cathy and I love Syrah, but I agree with Chip. Even still, thanks to the winery for joining us and taking our punches.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

neilfindswine

quality posts: 170 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

Greetings y'all. I was compelled to open a bottle of '03 that's been on my desk to taste it this AM- the '05 was tasted (consumed) a few weeks ago at dinner and was well-enjoyed.

It's been in a decanter for about 45 minutes and am now tasting before I have my lunch (tuna salad, likely not a good pairing). Some sediment in this one which I kept out of the decanter for the most part.

Nice magenta color- edges still look good (no brick tones).

The wine has a nice nose of raspberries and maybe a cherry liqueur (kirsch?)-maybe a note of apricot as well...

On the palate- Juicy cherries- I wouldn't go as far as saying tart-but juicy- followed by a nice chocolate layer, and lastly a little white pepper. Good finish. I'd call this medium-bodied.. It's not a big brute like some of the Paso Syrah's that come across my desk; there's more restraint here- and the wine is more subtle. I recall the '05 being a bit bolder, although still no Paso bruiser, and wasn't complaining about that.

I'm not the best person to comment on age-ability, but this is a tasty syrah that's drinking nicely right now. I'm going to bottle the rest up and open it with dinner and will try to report back early eve.

Bottom line- these two library wines are solid Napa Syrahs, made in very small amounts (175 cases were made of the '03 and there are very few left) and only available at the winery, or today on Woot. Tasty, black-tie wines.

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus
neilfindswine wrote:maybe a note of apricot as well...

I have never come across it myself, but I read on another board that peach/apricot is a common note in Syrah, but people don't realize it since they don't expect to experience a typically white wine note in a red.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

neilfindswine

quality posts: 170 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

kylemittskus wrote:I have never come across it myself, but I read on another board that peach/apricot is a common note in Syrah, but people don't realize it since they don't expect to experience a typically white wine note in a red.

good to know I haven't lost my mind (at least in regards to this particular tasting note)

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan
kylemittskus wrote:I have never come across it myself, but I read on another board that peach/apricot is a common note in Syrah, but people don't realize it since they don't expect to experience a typically white wine note in a red.

Makes even more sense if this is cofermented with some Viognier (not sure if that was only 2006 or all of them).

I just happened to discover a bottle of the 2005 at lunch. I'll see if I can open it here in a bit.

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

karenhynes

quality posts: 11 Private Messages karenhynes
redwinefan wrote:Makes even more sense if this is cofermented with some Viognier (not sure if that was only 2006 or all of them).

I just happened to discover a bottle of the 2005 at lunch. I'll see if I can open it here in a bit.

The info I received last year indicated that the 2006 was the only vintage that was co-fermented with Viognier. Hope that helps!

Wine is bottled poetry - Robert Louis Stevenson

maitredgreg2

quality posts: 1 Private Messages maitredgreg2

Two Words. I Pass!

phoenixranchrichard

karenhynes wrote:The info I received last year indicated that the 2006 was the only vintage that was co-fermented with Viognier. Hope that helps!

The 2006 was the only vintage we co-fermented with Viognier.

phoenixranchrichard

neilfindswine wrote:Greetings y'all. I was compelled to open a bottle of '03 that's been on my desk to taste it this AM- the '05 was tasted (consumed) a few weeks ago at dinner and was well-enjoyed.

It's been in a decanter for about 45 minutes and am now tasting before I have my lunch (tuna salad, likely not a good pairing). Some sediment in this one which I kept out of the decanter for the most part.

Nice magenta color- edges still look good (no brick tones).

The wine has a nice nose of raspberries and maybe a cherry liqueur (kirsch?)-maybe a note of apricot as well...

On the palate- Juicy cherries- I wouldn't go as far as saying tart-but juicy- followed by a nice chocolate layer, and lastly a little white pepper. Good finish. I'd call this medium-bodied.. It's not a big brute like some of the Paso Syrah's that come across my desk; there's more restraint here- and the wine is more subtle. I recall the '05 being a bit bolder, although still no Paso bruiser, and wasn't complaining about that.

I'm not the best person to comment on age-ability, but this is a tasty syrah that's drinking nicely right now. I'm going to bottle the rest up and open it with dinner and will try to report back early eve.

Bottom line- these two library wines are solid Napa Syrahs, made in very small amounts (175 cases were made of the '03 and there are very few left) and only available at the winery, or today on Woot. Tasty, black-tie wines.

Neil, thanks for chiming in on the 2003. I too decided to open a bottle this afternoon. Distinctive notes of cherries and all spice. Hues of the oranges and floral notes. It does need a little time to express its flesh and than bright cherries and raspberry notes. Great with grilled lamb or as we approach Thanksgiving and all its trimmings are perfect holiday match.

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan

Got held up with work, but I finally had a chance to open the 2005 Phoenix Ranch Syrah.

First off, this is not a typical California Syrah.

On the nose, I get violets, cedar, and tea leaves with a little maraschino cherry.

This is medium body, but fairly low-alc for a California Syrah. It definitely seems like they are aiming more for elegance with this wine than fruit-bombiness or tar-bombiness.

Taste is sourish wild cherries, with some black tea, and nice acid. Initially, the sour hit was a little bit too much for me, but it has been calming down the longer it's open and my palate is adjusting allowing me to get more out of this.

I feel like this is more of a food wine than an "on its own" wine, and will work better as a nice complement to something meaty.

There was a lot of sediment on the cork and in the neck of the bottle, but this wine doesn't feel old to me. It seems like it has a number of years left in it.

I've never had the Helios to compare, unfortunately.

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

phoenixranchrichard

redwinefan wrote:Got held up with work, but I finally had a chance to open the 2005 Phoenix Ranch Syrah.

First off, this is not a typical California Syrah.

On the nose, I get violets, cedar, and tea leaves with a little maraschino cherry.

This is medium body, but fairly low-alc for a California Syrah. It definitely seems like they are aiming more for elegance with this wine than fruit-bombiness or tar-bombiness.

Taste is sourish wild cherries, with some black tea, and nice acid. Initially, the sour hit was a little bit too much for me, but it has been calming down the longer it's open and my palate is adjusting allowing me to get more out of this.

I feel like this is more of a food wine than an "on its own" wine, and will work better as a nice complement to something meaty.

There was a lot of sediment on the cork and in the neck of the bottle, but this wine doesn't feel old to me. It seems like it has a number of years left in it.

I've never had the Helios to compare, unfortunately.

We bottled both wines unfiltered. Hence the wine when stored with cork down the sediment settles. A good decant and turning bottle up a day before helps. Cheers