$69.99 $123.00 43% off List Price
2009 Denier-Handal Vineyard, Alexander Valley Zinfandel
CT link above

Previous offer:
8/26/12

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

rpm

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rpm

I bought one of these when it was on in August 2012. SWMBO and I have both enjoyed this wine very much, even though the alcohol and pH are on the high side. We won't see too many more 2009s, and it's going to a a while before the 2012 and 2013 vintages are out and ready to drink, so I'm in for two (2) of these and avoiding the 2010s and 2011s of most everything red.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

pseudogourmet98

quality posts: 17 Private Messages pseudogourmet98

Was Peter Wellington the winemaker?

sphervey

quality posts: 39 Private Messages sphervey
pseudogourmet98 wrote:Was Peter Wellington the winemaker?

Denier-Handal Vineyards

Owners:
Alyce Denier and Dracula Handal
Founded:
Vineyard was founded in 1996, the Winery operation in 2009
Winemaker:
Peter Wellington

I'm pretty sure he is based on what I've read.

webdev511

quality posts: 37 Private Messages webdev511

I love this stuff! In for Three!

bobrush12866

quality posts: 8 Private Messages bobrush12866

What is the remaining cellar time on these?

CT says drink now...

chipgreen

quality posts: 186 Private Messages chipgreen
bobrush12866 wrote:What is the remaining cellar time on these?

CT says drink now...

I would take the CT drinking window with a grain of salt. Only 2 users contributed to the recommended "drink by 2013". You can tell how many people contributed to the drinking window for a specific wine on CT by clicking on "Edit", where you can also add your own input.

bobrush12866

quality posts: 8 Private Messages bobrush12866
chipgreen wrote:I would take the CT drinking window with a grain of salt. Only 2 users contributed to the recommended "drink by 2013". You can tell how many people contributed to the drinking window for a specific wine on CT by clicking on "Edit", where you can also add your own input.

While I do understand what you are saying, I am still curious as to what the "winery" or "Peter" has to say on remaining cellar time...I would guess this wine still has quite a few years left

cortot20

quality posts: 137 Private Messages cortot20

Always wanted to try the D-H wines but at over $20 a bottle shipped this is a pass for me on 4 bottles. Maybe a sampler will get me one day.

CT

rjquillin

quality posts: 171 Private Messages rjquillin
cortot20 wrote:Always wanted to try the D-H wines but at over $20 a bottle shipped this is a pass for me on 4 bottles. Maybe a sampler will get me one day.

Despite having some already, I might be coursed into some form of a split.

CT

Cyradia

quality posts: 29 Private Messages Cyradia
rpm wrote:I bought one of these when it was on in August 2012. SWMBO and I have both enjoyed this wine very much, even though the alcohol and pH are on the high side. We won't see too many more 2009s, and it's going to a a while before the 2012 and 2013 vintages are out and ready to drink, so I'm in for two (2) of these and avoiding the 2010s and 2011s of most everything red.

This was interesting...I haven't been keeping up with it, but is it turning into a pretty good general rule of thumb to skip the 2010 and 2011 reds? CA only or all the west coast (i.e., did Washington and Oregon also have bad years)?

merbill

quality posts: 29 Private Messages merbill
rjquillin wrote:Despite having some already, I might be coursed into some form of a split.

PM for ya

3X Wine Wooters FFL Champion, Commissioner, and Monkey Prize recipient
RPM Tours #2 & #4 Tourista
Wine Century Club Member #919

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
Cyradia wrote:This was interesting...I haven't been keeping up with it, but is it turning into a pretty good general rule of thumb to skip the 2010 and 2011 reds? CA only or all the west coast (i.e., did Washington and Oregon also have bad years)?

In Northern CA, 2010 and 2011 are less than stellar. Good news is 2012 should be great and 2013 look excellent. I'm not sure about WA and OR as I don't purchase enough from either to pay much attention.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

rhandal

quality posts: 6 Private Messages rhandal
bobrush12866 wrote:While I do understand what you are saying, I am still curious as to what the "winery" or "Peter" has to say on remaining cellar time...I would guess this wine still has quite a few years left

Hi folks. This wine is good for a few years. It' was well made with little exposure to air with low VA (volatile acid) and wonderful tannins. But, it's tasting wonderfully now, so why enjoy it now during the coming holidays.

rhandal

quality posts: 6 Private Messages rhandal

By the way Wooters, while 2010 and 2011 were difficult farming vintages, the smaller volumes of grapes that were vinified are turning out very nicely. You'll be impressed by the Sonoma County Cabernet Sauvignon wines when they're released.

zmanonice

quality posts: 21 Private Messages zmanonice

Bought this offer the last time around. Here are my notes:

Purple all the way to the edge, opaque. Berry nose, hint of menthol. Average tartness, medium to strong tannins, lingering finish. Didn't pick up much fruit on the palate. Subtle flavors, restrained wine. Nice wine at this price."

This offer is about $1 less per bottle than the last time around. In for one more to boost my Zin inventory.

Z

rjquillin

quality posts: 171 Private Messages rjquillin
merbill wrote:PM for ya

+1

CT

klezman

quality posts: 122 Private Messages klezman

If somebody needs help I could take a bottle or two, I suppose. Although I really don't need anything else at the moment

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT