Coordinates Dry Creek Valley Cabernet Sauvignon 2-Pack
$34.99 $80.00 56% off List Price
2007 Cabernet Sauvignon, Dry Creek Valley
CT link above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

cjsiege wrote:List of previous WW gatherings by area.
New list in the Gatherings tab and Old list in the Community tab. Great reading and great examples of how to set up a Get-Together Thread.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Upcoming Woot Wine Gatherings…All The News for the week of October 20
Attend or Host a Get-Together in your area!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
October
Late Oct: October Trip to Taldeschi, Hawley & Handal

November
11/2: DFW: Dinner at Eden Please RSVP by Oct 26.
11/2: SoCal #29: Wine for the Vegetables (a.k.a. Secret Kosher Food Tax)
11/16: SoCal#30: Santa Barbara Winery Weekend
11/29: NoVA/DC #30: 5th Annual Leftovers Feasting

January
TBD: Buffalo/WNY #11: Icewine Festival

Pending
TBD: Atlanta #1
TBD: NYC Tasting #??: A Tribute (interest thread)
TBD: NorCal #?: Open invitation to the New Muscardini Tasting Room

No events in your area??? Start one! Create an interest thread in the GATHERINGS Community Tab.

So join or create a WW Gathering!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

miataman92

quality posts: 2 Private Messages miataman92

Any comments on the drinking window on the offering?

I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

kaolis

quality posts: 28 Private Messages kaolis

Never had the wine, but this was released September 2009 and the winery says age 3-5 years. And given the somewhat lower acidity and high alcohol, my guess is it is not an ager.

oncman

quality posts: 2 Private Messages oncman

I'm getting very tired of checking in only to continue to see Ohio not on the shipping list. I understand the problems and hope it eventually gets worked up. In the meantime, I will no longer be keeping tabs on the offers. I hope someone will wake up all of us outcasts when things get back to normal.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 233 Private Messages kylemittskus

I happened to have a bottle of this 2007 Coordinates CS. Don’t ask me where it came from. I don’t remember.

Short version: oaky, new world, red fruit CS. At $20/bottle (not sure what the actual cost is going to be), you could do a lot worse.

I know nothing about the wine at all. I haven’t looked at the alc. % on the label and I have done no research on it. I know it’s a CS and I know it’s from the Dry Creek Valley.

I opened the wine, put a bit in a Riedel O Series red glass, put half of the bottle in the decanter, and the remaining half went into the fridge, corked but in the same bottle.

On the PnP: absolutely huge, new world, nose. Really lovely. It has a bit of heat, but I almost always detect alc. in bouquets. A lot of rich red fruit and a lot of oak. The nose smells dense, if that makes sense. Not heavy, but just packed with fruit. On the palate, this wine is really silky, but the alc. spikes quite a bit in the back end(I’m not usually sensitive to alcohol on the palate). I’m guessing there’s new oak used as there is definitely oak, but I quite like a big fruit/oak wine every now and then. First impressions: this is a big, new world CS, and it’s pretty delicious except for the alc. spike at the end.

After being opened for 1.5 hours, SWMBO poured a glass and I poured another couple ounces. SWMBO said raspberries and vanilla. Still lots of oak. Lots of fruit. Nice finish. Nice structure.

Day 2: not much change. The wine may be a bit lighter, but not by much at all. Still tons of oak, tons of red fruits.

I think this easily competes with other $20-$25 new world, “grocery store” type cabs out there. It doesn’t taste overly spoofed. The fruit is there and it tastes like real fruit, but there is a lot of oak. If that’s your thing, this is probably a pretty good buy for you.

I see a question about aging. I wouldn't age this for more than a year or two. I don't think it's going anywhere in that time, but I can't see it getting better with time in the bottle.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

flatlander814

quality posts: 0 Private Messages flatlander814

I know I'm just jumping on a "band wagon" here but....if I can 't get it shipped to my State, then why am I looking everyday at Woot. They used to ship to Kansas but not anymore??

kylemittskus

flatlander814 wrote:I know I'm just jumping on a "band wagon" here but....if I can 't get it shipped to my State, then why am I looking everyday at Woot. They used to ship to Kansas but not anymore??

See here.

If someone asks this again in this thread, lots and lots of fairies will lose their wings.

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 42 Private Messages fredrinaldi
kylemittskus wrote:See here.

If someone asks this again in this thread, lots and lots of fairies will lose their wings.

lol

Cesare

quality posts: 1698 Private Messages Cesare
kylemittskus wrote:I happened to have a bottle of this 2007 Coordinates CS. Don’t ask me where it came from. I don’t remember.

Weird. I don't remember where mine came from either.
I pretty much agree with your notes except I didn't get quite as much oak. Definitely no tannins. Very fruity, high alcohol, but not over the top. All that and the low acid I detect makes me think this is less of a food wine and more of a sipper.
Overall this is pretty good for the price. Not too complex but not basic at all and it is well made. Absolutely better than anything you can find locally for $20 or less.
To compare to wines from the same area wooters might know:
Not on the level of a Wellington or Ty Caton but more like a Block 13. Maybe not as interesting as that was. From what I remember that was darker and had some earthy notes and this is brighter and hotter.
This is a good buy for something a little better than a daily drinker like a Woot Cellars or Pedroncelli but when you don't want to open a Wellington Victory or Jana Cathedral.

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

Cesare

quality posts: 1698 Private Messages Cesare
fredrinaldi wrote:

Fred, this wine is for you. Try it!

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple

kylemittskus

Cesare wrote:Fred, this wine is for you. Try it!

I remember the Block 13 the same. And I had this with food and it wasn't so great. Still, $20/btl is a very fair price for this wine.

UBlink

quality posts: 19 Private Messages UBlink
kylemittskus wrote:I remember the Block 13 the same. And I had this with food and it wasn't so great. Still, $20/btl is a very fair price for this wine.

If it was in the same class as Block 13 I'd be all over it, but I had a Block 13 a couple of weeks ago and this wine doesn't sound anything like it. WD and Neil need to find us some more Block 13's.

Following the eight word profile, political economy in eight words:
Ain't no free lunch - them what has gets.