Alcanta "Barrique" Spanish Syrah 4-Pack
$54.99 $95.00 42% off List Price
2010 Alcanta Barrique Syrah, Alicante Spain
CT link above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

rjquillin

quality posts: 184 Private Messages rjquillin

ChipGreen, you still up?

CT

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 605 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

rjquillin wrote:ChipGreen, you still up?

Try all caps and see if that wakes him.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

rjquillin

ThunderThighs wrote:Try all caps and see if that wakes him.

he's LATE reporting for DUTY.

CT

trismic

quality posts: 5 Private Messages trismic

OK, not to be picky, but that picture looks like four copies of the same bottle spliced side by side. Not four different bottles in one picture.
...Well, maybe a little picky. But has anybody tried this, or any wines from this winery?

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 605 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

trismic wrote:OK, not to be picky, but that picture looks like four copies of the same bottle spliced side by side. Not four different bottles in one picture.
...Well, maybe a little picky. But has anybody tried this, or any wines from this winery?

We can't be too greedy asking for photo samples.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

chipgreen

quality posts: 202 Private Messages chipgreen
rjquillin wrote:ChipGreen, you still up?

Sorry for the delay... thought it was going to be a relaxing evening at home with a bottle of Alcanta Barrique Syrah but SWMBO informed me last minute that we were meeting friends at a local winery. Oh, the irony!

Deep crimson color in the glass with widely spaced legs. Pleasant nose of cherry and vanilla. On PnP I found the wine to be somewhat acetic. This improved with air time but did not completely resolve.

Dark fruits on the palate - black cherry, plum, maybe even some blueberry. Very lightly spiced compared to Cali Syrahs. Medium body, although light compared to most Syrahs I've tasted. Tannins are also pretty light. This drinks almost like a Pinot without the funk/earthiness. On the finish, a mild herbaceous note that I cannot quite put my finger on, along with some toasty oak.

Overall, a smooth easy-drinker, save for the acetic component. Don't think I've ever had an unblended Spanish Syrah before, so I don't know if this flavor profile is typical but it is definitely interesting.

Despite the oak aging and recent vintage, I would consider this more of a "drink now" wine than something to cellar for a number of years. I'm not sure about the value relative to the offer price but if I were eligible to buy, I would probably be looking to split an order.

EDIT: FWIW, I filed this wine under this CT listing which is different from the one posted by Cesare and also different from a pre-existing listing for a 2008 vintage.

rjquillin

chipgreen wrote:Sorry for the delay... thought it was going to be a relaxing evening at home with a bottle of Alcanta Barrique Syrah but SWMBO informed me last minute that we were meeting friends at a local winery. Oh, the irony!

EDIT: FWIW, I filed this wine under this CT listing which is different from the one posted by Cesare and also different from a pre-existing listing for a 2008 vintage.

UPC happen to match that of the pre-existing listing?

CT

chipgreen

quality posts: 202 Private Messages chipgreen
rjquillin wrote:UPC happen to match that of the pre-existing listing?

Yes. I think what happened is I tried to just "add vintage" to that listing but in the process, also attempted to change the way the name appeared and it created a new listing instead.

jmdavidson

quality posts: 58 Private Messages jmdavidson

I just happened to open a bottle of this last night. Since +1 and I were already going to a wine tasting, there was not enough time to pair this with anything.

The cork pulled out easily and was moist. Considering how far this wine traveled, i.e. Spain to Cali to Illinois, this was a good sign. No particular smell emanated from the cork, so another good sign. The color, when viewed over a piece of white paper, revealed a soft burgundy. After a few swirls in the glass, it seemed like the wine clung to the top and the legs were not readily evident. Initial flavors were a little strawberry, a little cherry, some licorice and something smokey, maybe oak. Next stop, get the venturi. This really smoothed out the flavors. Now I could taste a little plum and Earl Grey tea. I let it rest for an hour and revisited. Most of the flavors were the same, plus a little dark chocolate. The finish was dry and not tart.

In all, this is a pleasant drinking syrah. Nothing harsh or peppery. No bitter finish. It's not an overly fruity wine. After seeing the price today (<$14), it seems like it is appropriately priced. For the money, it is a good value, but not an outstanding QPR. It will appeal to a wide range of wine drinkers. You would be ok drinking this as an everyday wine or serving it to your friends.