WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Syrah Rah Rah

Okay, okay, we know the first impulse when seeing Syrah for sale is to start cheering, but if you're too busy cheering, then that's time you're missing out on drinking. So, is the cheering worth it? Instead of throwing your hands in the air, throw your hands to your wallet, and spend spend spend!

Quality Posts

Cesare

quality posts: 1650 Private Messages Cesare

Syrah Rah Rah

Canihan Family Cellars Sonoma Syrah 2-Pack
$59.99 $108.00 44% off List Price

Clary Ranch Sonoma Coast Syrah 4-Pack
$59.99 $103.00 42% off List Price

Arcadian Winery Vineyard Designate Syrah 2-Pack
$59.99 $103.00 42% off List Price

Michael Gill "Big Rock" Paso Robles Syrah (The '17.5'er') 2-Pack
$54.99 $94.00 42% off List Price

Buena Vista Winery Carneros Syrah 4-Pack
$69.99 $107.00 35% off List Price
2007 Buena Vista Syrah, Carneros

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

NedDawg

quality posts: 34 Private Messages NedDawg

The Michael Gill Big Rock looks like it could be 2010 Zeppelin Colossus but without the 22% "secret Syrah" of the latter. Stillman?

Edit: This wine was discussed when offered on September 20th, with input from Stillman. http://wine.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5560418

cortot20

quality posts: 152 Private Messages cortot20

I love Syrah, how about someone buys one if these for me for my birthday. PM me for my shipping address.

CT

rjquillin

quality posts: 179 Private Messages rjquillin
cortot20 wrote:I love Syrah, how about someone buys one if these for me for my birthday. PM me for my shipping address.

or the Irvine lockers?

CT

techcheese

quality posts: 0 Private Messages techcheese

Clary Ranch, sorry it's no good, just opened the first bottle of my regrettable 12 bottle purchase from a recent woot-off. nearly a quarter ounce of sediment, very acidic. help me please!

sbould I run it through a strainer, collander, chinois, food mill, cheese cloth, or a coffee filter? how about a furnace filter?

help me please! this wine is crap

cortot20

techcheese wrote:Clary Ranch, sorry it's no good, just opened the first bottle of my regrettable 12 bottle purchase from a recent woot-off. nearly a quarter ounce of sediment, very acidic. help me please!

sbould I run it through a strainer, collander, chinois, food mill, cheese cloth, or a coffee filter? how about a furnace filter?

Let it settle with the bottle upright for a couple of days before opening. If it was shipped in the last week maybe let the bottles rest for 2-3 weeks. Your basically treating this like a 20+ year old wine. When you pour it, pour very slowly into a decanter with a light source behind the neck of the bottle and when you get near the bottom wait for the clarity to change in what you see through the neck and then stop. The sediment should be all collected in the neck of the bottle. Good luck.

CT

chipgreen

quality posts: 197 Private Messages chipgreen
techcheese wrote:Clary Ranch, sorry it's no good, just opened the first bottle of my regrettable 12 bottle purchase from a recent woot-off. nearly a quarter ounce of sediment, very acidic. help me please!

I use one of these.

techcheese

quality posts: 0 Private Messages techcheese

thank you to Cortot and Chip. both good suggestions for getting rid of sediment, but the flavor of the wine is still very acidic and not at all pleasing. does anyone have tasting notes on this particular wine; Clary Ranch 2007 ?

mrsjhaye

quality posts: 16 Private Messages mrsjhaye

Dang! I want the Michael Gill offering but WV is not on the shipping list. I'm afraid if I have it sent to either son in NV or NY by the time I would be there to pick it up it would be gone

cortot20

techcheese wrote:thank you to Cortot and Chip. both good suggestions for getting rid of sediment, but the flavor of the wine is still very acidic and not at all pleasing. does anyone have tasting notes on this particular wine; Clary Ranch 2007 ?

Letting sediment settle may change your impression of the wine quite a bit. We had a inspiration vineyards carneros Pinot up here last year that was unfiltered and was undrinkable 2-3 weeks after shipping but give it a full month and use the advice I gave above made it a still tart and fairly acidic wine. But more importantly it made much more enjoyable. Take a look at notes in the CT link below.

Xhttps://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=812200&searchId=3F844E19%23selected%253DW812200_31_K6115984e61e74d93a376b2ca338ba85d

Or for lots more examples here is WW comment thread for this offer. Check pages 3-4 for people who did it right and wrong.

http://wine.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=4899132&pageindex=1&replycount=151

CT

claryranch

quality posts: 6 Private Messages claryranch
techcheese wrote:thank you to Cortot and Chip. both good suggestions for getting rid of sediment, but the flavor of the wine is still very acidic and not at all pleasing. does anyone have tasting notes on this particular wine; Clary Ranch 2007 ?

Hi techcheese

Here are my tasting notes:
"Deep crystalline magenta. Light floral aromas with subtle pepper overtones that carry over to the palate along with crisp, refreshing flavors of cool cherries and black raspberries. Delicate, lingering finish. Reminiscent of a Northern Rhone, rather than a warm-climate fruit bomb. Serve slightly cool (55-60 degrees). Superb choice for a summer barbecue or with holiday turkey."

This Syrah was grown in a very cool year, and resulted in a light, crisp style of wine. I like it served on the cool side, with barbecue. There is enough acidity to cut through heavy fare and I find it to be a refreshing change from more common ponderous, round wines of the Aussie style, which are too flat for my palate.

Sediment, which may have collected in the neck, can be minimized by giving the bottle a swish and storing it on its side for awhile, then decanting. I hope this helps...

-Paul