Cesare

quality posts: 1597 Private Messages Cesare

Ty Caton Red Blend 3-Pack
$59.99 $127.00 53% off List Price
2010 Ty's Red, Sonoma Valley, Caton Vineyard

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg

Does anyone know how this compares to the 2005 Ty Caton Field Blend Red?

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

vaaccess

quality posts: 17 Private Messages vaaccess
ddeuddeg wrote:Does anyone know how this compares to the 2005 Ty Caton Field Blend Red?

Was wondering myself if this is the new incarnation of that blend. Ty? WineGirl? Care to enlighten us?

Wine Cooler (Image) currently at 47% of Capacity

My Current Inventory on CellarTracker

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
vaaccess wrote:Was wondering myself if this is the new incarnation of that blend. Ty? WineGirl? Care to enlighten us?

IIRC, from previous offerings, it is a completely different wine, production wise and varietal composition wise. I could be wrong, but I think this was discussed at some point in the last two years.

I stopped following Ty's wines here when the prices kept climbing and better deals were available on other sites.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

Cyradia

quality posts: 29 Private Messages Cyradia
North316 wrote:IIRC, from previous offerings, it is a completely different wine, production wise and varietal composition wise. I could be wrong, but I think this was discussed at some point in the last two years.

I stopped following Ty's wines here when the prices kept climbing and better deals were available on other sites.

Cosign...both on the recollection that they're different blends and on the decision to spend my wine $$ elsewhere (but good for Ty that he's able to sell at such high prices?)

Turxey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Turxey

Wow. SF Chronicle Gold Medal Winner.
Have to give it a shot at half price...although last night I was enjoying an $8 a bottle Cab from TJ's 2010 Vintjs line...hope I have the pallet to detect the 3x improvement in this...
8)

pseudogourmet98

quality posts: 17 Private Messages pseudogourmet98

Some questions answered in a previous offer

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 34 Private Messages fredrinaldi
Turxey wrote:Wow. SF Chronicle Gold Medal Winner.
Have to give it a shot at half price...although last night I was enjoying an $8 a bottle Cab from TJ's 2010 Vintjs line...hope I have the pallet to detect the 3x improvement in this...
8)

Trader Joe's I assume? their own label? at $8 bucks I'd try

mstern20878

quality posts: 9 Private Messages mstern20878

Ty's an auto-buy. Love it, and it's the same price as the last time it was offered. Just saying...

nfurlong

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nfurlong
Cyradia wrote:Cosign...both on the recollection that they're different blends and on the decision to spend my wine $$ elsewhere (but good for Ty that he's able to sell at such high prices?)

Ditto North, Cyradia and Fred. I have about a case of Tys from when they were affordable, so I should be good. Woot has really priced itself out of the deal-a-day market -- too much good juice around at better prices, including from local competition like TJs. BTW, it helps to consult the buyer at your local store. I haven't gotten a bum steer there yet.

Turxey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Turxey
fredrinaldi wrote:Trader Joe's I assume? their own label? at $8 bucks I'd try

Yeah. The "Napa Valley" Cab is outstanding. The Zin & Pinot not so much, and they cost a little more, like $11 I think.
(sorry for the thread hijack)

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
mstern20878 wrote:Ty's an auto-buy. Love it, and it's the same price as the last time it was offered. Just saying...

Which was $10 more than the already high previous offering, just saying....

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

mfelske

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mfelske

Would love to, but no Wisconsin. Seems like most of the states that were removed are back, but still no Wisconsin.

rjquillin

quality posts: 171 Private Messages rjquillin

I'd take one if anyone is buying.

CT

cortot20

quality posts: 137 Private Messages cortot20

I purchased this last year for $17.50 a bottle shipped. I thought that was a good price for it. But at nearly $24 a bottle shipped it's an easy pass.

CT

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
ddeuddeg wrote:Does anyone know how this compares to the 2005 Ty Caton Field Blend Red?

It's not even close to as good, IMO. I really wish it were, though.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

rjquillin

quality posts: 171 Private Messages rjquillin
cortot20 wrote:I purchased this last year for $17.50 a bottle shipped. I thought that was a good price for it. But at nearly $24 a bottle shipped it's an easy pass.

Good point. I was (still) just looking at the net, forgetting tx and ship, especially when it's amortized over only three.

CT