2011 Albariño - Querida, Edna Valley
CT link above

Winery website

Previous offer:
4/24/12 (2010)

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

rjquillin

quality posts: 189 Private Messages rjquillin

Can anyone compare this to the 2010 woot from April 0f '12 for the '10?

CT

cortot20

quality posts: 163 Private Messages cortot20
rjquillin wrote:Can anyone compare this to the 2010 woot from April 0f '12 for the '10?

I cannot but here my notes for the 2011.

Received this bottle from a friend and upon opening the color is a light yellow with a slightly golden hue. We opened it after getting home from a friends house at fridge temp. so it didn't get enjoyed with food. The nose was very muted when first opened but with a bit of air and warming it came alive with peaches and pear flavors. Also a nice tart green apple flavor runs as an undercurrent. As the wine warms further a little bit some Carmel notes come out giving the wine an almost Carmel apple nose.

The palate is light/medium bodied. What I mean by this is that it starts medium bodied feeling slightly heavy but finshes noticeably lighter. The finish is very tart though and does have a pucker factor, it also leaves the mouth watering. There is noticeable acidity to the wine and the tart finish seems to really bring it out. The finish does also have a slight creaminess and the Carmel notes lead me to believe there was a very moderate use of oak on this wine.

Day 2 the wine seemed nearly the same except that much of the expressive flavors are gone, leaving mostly the tart green apple. Definitely more enjoyable on day 1. My wife noted that with food the tartness calmed down quite a bit. And I agree that's it's better with food.

CT

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 188 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

cjsiege wrote:List of previous WW gatherings by area.
New list in the Gatherings tab and Old list in the Community tab. Great reading and great examples of how to set up a Get-Together Thread.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Upcoming Woot Wine Gatherings…All The News for the week of October 13
Fall foliage is starting. Time to transition from summery whites to toasty reds. Attend or Host a Get-Together in your area!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
October
Late Oct: October Trip to Taldeschi, Hawley & Handal

November
11/2: DFW: Dinner at Eden Please RSVP by Oct 26.
11/2: SoCal #29: Wine for the Vegetables (a.k.a. Secret Kosher Food Tax)
11/16: SoCal#30: Santa Barbara Winery Weekend
11/29: NoVA/DC #30: Annual Leftovers Feasting

January
TBD: Buffalo/WNY #11: Icewine Festival

Pending
TBD: Atlanta #1
TBD: NYC Tasting #??: A Tribute (interest thread)
TBD: NorCal #?: Open invitation to the New Muscardini Tasting Room

No events in your area??? Start one! Create an interest thread in the GATHERINGS Community Tab.

So join or create a WW Gathering!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

chipgreen

quality posts: 207 Private Messages chipgreen
rjquillin wrote:Can anyone compare this to the 2010 woot from April 0f '12 for the '10?

Yes. I was the lucky recipient of a 2011 Bodegas M Albariño and have also recently had the 2010 vintage.

First my notes on the 2011;
Light golden color in the glass, nose of peaches and lemon cream, with medium body and slightly viscous mouthfeel.

Peaches, pears, melon and citrus zest on the palate with an apple pie a la mode finish. Decent acidity but less than other Albariños I have tried. Guessing by the creaminess of the wine that there was at least partial MLF.

I would say that the 2011 is somewhat more fruit-forward than the 2010. Otherwise very similar.

A little heavier than most Albariños but definitely enjoyable and a reasonably good value at the wine.woot price.

pseudogourmet98

quality posts: 19 Private Messages pseudogourmet98

A monkey driving a FedEx truck came whizzing through my neighborhood recently. I live in a subdivision with some very uptight people on our homeowner’s association board and I was concerned that they might take offense to his presence and his erratic driving. I tried to warn him to slow down; he would not listen to me, but before driving away, he yelled something in Spanish “Coger el dia!” and threw a box in my yard. My rusty high-school Spanish was able to make out “Seize the day!” so I opened the box with gusto and was pleased to find a single bottle of Albarino. I have become very fond of Spanish whites and was happy to receive it. But wait! This is not from Spain, but from the Edna Valley in California. A 2011 Bodegas M Querida Albarino. I chilled the bottle for later consumption.

We are not well-schooled in tasting notes but are happy to share our experience with fellow wooters.

The wine is light yellow to gold in color. Upon opening, my fellow tasters and I noticed that there was not much to the nose at refrigerator temperature; just a hint of citrus. The first taste was crisp/acidic with pronounced green apple. As it warmed a bit we got a bit of citrus (grapefruit & lemon) and more green apple and something a bit sweeter (pear??), but still a good bit of acid . One taster suggested perhaps some pineapple, but I did not get that. The green apple holds through to a nice finish. Another thing we noticed was a viscous mouth feel that I am not used to in an Albarino; sort of a velvety coating of the tongue which we very much enjoyed (some oak perhaps?) and seemed more pronounced as the wine warmed. This bottle was a very easy drinker and was empty much too soon.

For comparison, we also opened a 2011 Almirante Rias Baixas Pionero Maccerato Colleita. By comparison the Spanish Albarino was lighter and more one-dimensional. It was crisp with plenty of acid, some lemon and floral notes. While I enjoy the Spanish wine, side-by-side I preferred the Bodegas M Albarino.

I would guess a woot price around $14 -16 and in this price range will purchase. YMMV.

LandRoverNut

quality posts: 1 Private Messages LandRoverNut

Another no Tennessee shipping! What is the deal with the new no TN shipping??

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 617 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

LandRoverNut wrote:Another no Tennessee shipping! What is the deal with the new no TN shipping??

Wine.Woot is currently not able to offer wine deals in certain states, but will be opening up additional states as laws and regulations regarding selling wine online continue to evolve.

You're welcome to also check out this thread to discuss and talk about current Wine Shipping Laws

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

noslensj

quality posts: 47 Private Messages noslensj
pseudogourmet98 wrote:I tried to warn him to slow down; he would not listen to me, but before driving away, he yelled something in Spanish “Coger el dia!” and threw a box in my yard.

Not a Central American monkey, I presume???

Winedavid39

quality posts: 214 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

pseudogourmet98 wrote:A monkey driving a FedEx truck came whizzing through my neighborhood recently. I live in a subdivision with some very uptight people on our homeowner’s association board and I was concerned that they might take offense to his presence and his erratic driving. I tried to warn him to slow down; he would not listen to me, but before driving away, he yelled something in Spanish “Coger el dia!” and threw a box in my yard. My rusty high-school Spanish was able to make out “Seize the day!” so I opened the box with gusto and was pleased to find a single bottle of Albarino. I have become very fond of Spanish whites and was happy to receive it. But wait! This is not from Spain, but from the Edna Valley in California. A 2011 Bodegas M Querida Albarino. I chilled the bottle for later consumption.

We are not well-schooled in tasting notes but are happy to share our experience with fellow wooters.

The wine is light yellow to gold in color. Upon opening, my fellow tasters and I noticed that there was not much to the nose at refrigerator temperature; just a hint of citrus. The first taste was crisp/acidic with pronounced green apple. As it warmed a bit we got a bit of citrus (grapefruit & lemon) and more green apple and something a bit sweeter (pear??), but still a good bit of acid . One taster suggested perhaps some pineapple, but I did not get that. The green apple holds through to a nice finish. Another thing we noticed was a viscous mouth feel that I am not used to in an Albarino; sort of a velvety coating of the tongue which we very much enjoyed (some oak perhaps?) and seemed more pronounced as the wine warmed. This bottle was a very easy drinker and was empty much too soon.

For comparison, we also opened a 2011 Almirante Rias Baixas Pionero Maccerato Colleita. By comparison the Spanish Albarino was lighter and more one-dimensional. It was crisp with plenty of acid, some lemon and floral notes. While I enjoy the Spanish wine, side-by-side I preferred the Bodegas M Albarino.

I would guess a woot price around $14 -16 and in this price range will purchase. YMMV.

Nicely done. i'm rarely disappointed with Edna Valley. Solid QPR here.

blaze1984

quality posts: 5 Private Messages blaze1984

Why does nobody ship to Michigan anymore? This is turning into a huge issue.

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
blaze1984 wrote:Why does nobody ship to Michigan anymore? This is turning into a huge issue.

Why can't anyone read what is already posted anymore? This is turning into a huge issue.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

kylemittskus

quality posts: 234 Private Messages kylemittskus
North316 wrote:Why can't anyone read what is already posted anymore? This is turning into a huge issue.

I agree with North.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

bodegasm1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bodegasm1

Hello Wooters and Bodegas M devotees!
Michael here. I'm one of the M's in Bodegas M. Alan Kinne, our wine maker will try to chime in, but is up to his elbows in Tempranillo at present. The 2013 crop is beautiful as was the 2012, so look forward to our best two vintages upcoming. Specific to this offering, let me circle around some of the comments here about our 2011 Albarino Querida.
Yes, what we like to consider some subtle wood aging, 6 months in seasoned French oak. This creamy underpinning really differentiates Bodegas M Albarino from many others, American and Spanish Albarino wines alike. The full mouth feel and added structure make this wine particularly nice as an accompaniment at table, as one wooter cited.As always though, it is the fruit that speaks loudest. Great acidity, a long acid arc in the mouth, and classic Albarino typicity are hallmarks of fruit from the esteemed Paragon Vineyard in Edna Valley, from where this fruit derives. Thanks for enjoying these wines, and please tell a friend! We only produced 275 cases of this beauty, with 50 on hand. Salud!

neilfindswine

quality posts: 173 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

...Bodegas M is a Garagiste wiñery. I've come to rely oñ them for solid Tempranillo and Albariño.

I agree with the earlier commeñt that this is a bit heavier thañ most Albariños, which I thiñk makes it a good autumñ white and a good white for the Thañksgiving table.

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

bodegasm1

neilfindswine wrote:...Bodegas M is a Garagiste wiñery. I've come to rely oñ them for solid Tempranillo and Albariño.

I agree with the earlier commeñt that this is a bit heavier thañ most Albariños, which I thiñk makes it a good autumñ white and a good white for the Thañksgiving table.

Thanks Neilfindswine....also, this is a great foil to a holiday seafood dinner! Dungeness crab is in season, and Albarino is a good fit here!

mommadeb1

quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1
neilfindswine wrote:...Bodegas M is a Garagiste wiñery. I've come to rely oñ them for solid Tempranillo and Albariño.

mmmm Tempranillo.......hint hint

chipgreen

quality posts: 207 Private Messages chipgreen
mommadeb1 wrote:mmmm Tempranillo.......hint hint

+1

I really enjoyed both the 2007 and 2008 vintages of Bodegas M Tempranillo.
But please wait until OH is back on the ship-to list, mmkay?

bodegasm1

chipgreen wrote:Yes. I was the lucky recipient of a 2011 Bodegas M Albariño and have also recently had the 2010 vintage.

First my notes on the 2011;
Light golden color in the glass, nose of peaches and lemon cream, with medium body and slightly viscous mouthfeel.

Peaches, pears, melon and citrus zest on the palate with an apple pie a la mode finish. Decent acidity but less than other Albariños I have tried. Guessing by the creaminess of the wine that there was at least partial MLF.

I would say that the 2011 is somewhat more fruit-forward than the 2010. Otherwise very similar.

A little heavier than most Albariños but definitely enjoyable and a reasonably good value at the wine.woot price.

Thanks my friend for your comments. The creaminess is a product of the wood aging. Alan does no ML on this wine, FYI. Not that you couldn't with such a high acid variety, but that would add some heft that I think most of us would consider unworthy of an ABC wine...you know, Anything But Chardonnay!

bodegasm1

Hi, Michael from Bodegas M again. Alan just texted me and is nearly done with a 35 ton custom crush of Zin....go my child, and Zin no more! This is about Albarino!So let me give him some kudos while he isn't looking.
The bud wood for the Paragon Vineyard Albarino in Edna Valley was hand carried to the US by Alan in 1998. This kind of makes him the God Father of Albarino in California! Not that Michael Havens hadn't already done it in No. Cal, he had, and hats off to him, a true pioneer of the Spanish varieties in California. Alan is same, having populated the Edna Valley wine field with Albarino as well as having brought top quality genetic bud wood from Tempranillo vines in Ribera Del Duero 2 years prior, that now grow in Paso Robles, and from the esteemed properties of Pesquera and Hermanos Perez Pascuas at that! Alan 's and our commitment to quality and authenticity resides in this pioneering endeavor, and I hope you find it in bottle as well.
Gracias!

noslensj

quality posts: 47 Private Messages noslensj
bodegasm1 wrote:Hello Wooters and Bodegas M devotees!
Michael here. I'm one of the M's in Bodegas M. Alan Kinne, our wine maker will try to chime in, but is up to his elbows in Tempranillo at present. The 2013 crop is beautiful as was the 2012, so look forward to our best two vintages upcoming. Specific to this offering, let me circle around some of the comments here about our 2011 Albarino Querida.
Yes, what we like to consider some subtle wood aging, 6 months in seasoned French oak. This creamy underpinning really differentiates Bodegas M Albarino from many others, American and Spanish Albarino wines alike. The full mouth feel and added structure make this wine particularly nice as an accompaniment at table, as one wooter cited.As always though, it is the fruit that speaks loudest. Great acidity, a long acid arc in the mouth, and classic Albarino typicity are hallmarks of fruit from the esteemed Paragon Vineyard in Edna Valley, from where this fruit derives. Thanks for enjoying these wines, and please tell a friend! We only produced 275 cases of this beauty, with 50 on hand. Salud!

bodegasm1 wrote:Thanks my friend for your comments. The creaminess is a product of the wood aging. Alan does no ML on this wine, FYI. Not that you couldn't with such a high acid variety, but that would add some heft that I think most of us would consider unworthy of an ABC wine...you know, Anything But Chardonnay!

You know I was ready to pass on this - SIWBM and all. But your comments here are giving me pause.

May need to see if I can split.

joseph1951

quality posts: 1 Private Messages joseph1951

We shipping to New York????

kylemittskus

quality posts: 234 Private Messages kylemittskus
joseph1951 wrote:We shipping to New York????

Yeah, for a few days now.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen