bahwm

quality posts: 30 Private Messages bahwm

Hi Guys & Gals! Time to start talking about Icewine Festival 2014. This year's Festival is running from Fri. Jan 10 - Sun. Jan 26th. The Discovery Pass costs $40 and allows for an Icewine sample and food pairing at 8 different wineries. Here's the linkie Icewine Festival 2014 website

The Discovery Passes are $40 this year, but they allow entry to 8 wineries! Here's the link: Niagara Ice Wine Festival The passes are available at the wineries in NOTL.

DETAILS
DATE: Fri - Sun. Jan. 24-26, 2013
TIME: TBD
THEME:
Ice Wines--Oh, Yeah!
HOSTS: bahwm & ddeuddeg - Buffalo & Niagara-on-the-Lake, Canada
NEEDED: Passport or enhanced driver's license AND warm clothing!

Fri dinner at 7:30 PM at Anchor Bar PLUS, White Chocolate Ginger Cheesecake Chez ddeuddeg & bahwm:
1. bahwm
2. ddeuddeg
3. vwsmaltz
4. vwsmaltz's +1 (Monica)
5. wkdpanda
6. ajrod27 (arrival around 10 AM) (DoubleTree Hilton in Amherst)
7. velocity22 (arrival around 10 AM)
8. velocity22's +1
9. North316 (arrival around 6 PM) Best Western in Lackawanna
10. North316's +1
11. wkdpanda's +1

Sat dinner at 7 PM at Seabar:
Per person charge will be $32.00 per guest plus tax and gratuity + at least $5.00 per person to cover the $50.00 room charge (based on current number of 9).
No corkage. Bring a bottle of bubbly to share.

1. bahwm
2. ddeuddeg
3. wkdpanda
4. ajrod27
5. velocity22
6. velocity22's +1
7. North316
8. North316's +1
9. Paula (friend of bahwm & ddeuddeg)
10. wkdpanda's +1

Regrets:
justinrsanderson
cjsiege
klezman
molarchae
cheron98
HAK

The polarbears stayed at what is now the Best Western Plus Galleria Inn & Suites at 601 Dingens Street Cheektowaga, NY 14206.

Search for Hampton Inn Buffalo South/I-90 ajrod stayed here and liked it.

Search for Country Inn & Suites West Seneca Hotel This is a brand new hotel. It is right next to Search for Staybridge Suites West Seneca . cjsiege stayed at the Staybridge & was very happy with it. This place is quite new, also.

updated: 1.20.14 4:52 PM

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

tiger7610

quality posts: 17 Private Messages tiger7610

I'm a maybe, i think i would prefer the weekend toward later in Jan, but schedule is still up in the air.

mommadeb1

quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1

looks like fun.... but ....why does everyone in the pictures have such heavy coats on? ha ha ha ha

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

The final weekend has historically worked very well, and I think it gives people enough time after the holidays to be able to make it. Let's call us a maybe for now and we'll see what we can do. SeaBar on the agenda?

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

cjsiege

quality posts: 14 Private Messages cjsiege

I'm a solid maybe. It's going to depend on the final date we pick and the work situation at the time.

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
cheron98 wrote:SeaBar on the agenda?

It might be a bit unrealistic to hope Mike could be as generous as last time, but we're always amenable to having dinner there.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

Still in the back of my mind, but this is about the worst time of year (as far as work goes) for me, so some planets need to align and all that jazz. Definitely will be a last minute decision if I can somehow swing it.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

mommadeb1

quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1

I like icewine... hmmm.. can I convince hubby we need to go?!!!

chipgreen

quality posts: 197 Private Messages chipgreen

I'm hoping to make it +1, but am a "maybe" for now.

eljefetwisted

quality posts: 45 Private Messages eljefetwisted

I've got commitments that last weekend but we'll see what happens...

Jeff Stai, Owner, Twisted Oak Winery
http://www.twistedoak.com/
http://www.facebook.com/twistedoak

CAGrl

quality posts: 13 Private Messages CAGrl

Sounds fun. Will keep an eye on the developments.

klezman

quality posts: 127 Private Messages klezman

Also of course we'd love to join in, but unsure whether we can muster the trip from CA. That'll be right after the end of a busy stretch for us.

2014: 42 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2012 Iron Horse Estate Chardonnay
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

ajrod27

quality posts: 41 Private Messages ajrod27
bahwm wrote:
Let's see what kind of interest we have this year and I'll update this post as needed.

I am running low on ice wine; might have to make the trip to restock! Plus, my passport is getting dusty

Is the guest bed available? I'd love to stay in your beautiful home!

bahwm

ajrod27 wrote:I am running low on ice wine; might have to make the trip to restock! Plus, my passport is getting dusty

Is the guest bed available? I'd love to stay in your beautiful home!

Probably.

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

bahwm

Just had a 2008 Tawse Barrel Aged Quarry Road Vineyard Chardonnay Icewine VQA Vinemount Ridge 11.5% alc. It was hand-harvested at -8 degrees Celsius and immediately pressed & aged in new French oak barrels. 5,500 bottles were produced. I do not feel that I am chewing oak at all. It is a beautifully balanced icewine. I don't think I have ever had a chard icewine before. I want more.

BTW, we had an '06 Iron Horse Chard with dinner. ddeuddeg thought that the chard icewine would be a nice follow up with carrot cake for dessert on Sweetest Day. Someone on CT thought that the '06 was past its prime--not the bottle that we had. Pure Iron Horse yumminess!

bahwm

We should work at firming up the date so that those who are flying in can make their air reservations.

bahwm

And, just a little bump. Are you all good with the last weekend in January?

chipgreen

bahwm wrote:And, just a little bump. Are you all good with the last weekend in January?

AFA I know right now, that is as good as any other weekend for us.

Question: Nancy doesn't really care for ice wine - would she be able to do alternative tastings instead?

wkdpanda

quality posts: 11 Private Messages wkdpanda

Darn it. Still have a bit of wine from the last trip. People have been feeding me too much port lately, so the ice wines have languished.

However, could probably put me down as a probable with my +1 this year.

----------------
Andy the Wicked Panda

bahwm

chipgreen wrote:AFA I know right now, that is as good as any other weekend for us.

Question: Nancy doesn't really care for ice wine - would she be able to do alternative tastings instead?

The wineries always have other wines available for tasting, but they are not part of the "Passport for the food & wine pairing". I guess their normal tasting fees would apply,

bahwm

wkdpanda wrote:Darn it. Still have a bit of wine from the last trip. People have been feeding me too much port lately, so the ice wines have languished.

However, could probably put me down as a probable with my +1 this year.

Yippee! But not JUST your +1, your WIFE!

chipgreen

bahwm wrote:The wineries always have other wines available for tasting, but they are not part of the "Passport for the food & wine pairing". I guess their normal tasting fees would apply,

ok, thanks

bahwm

First post updated. Please let's firm up the date. If we want to do a Bubbly and Sushi at Seabar Sat. night, I need to contact Mike & Sherry to reserve the back room.

ajrod27

The 24th-26th will work for me. A quick search of flights shows I can be there as early as 9am, Friday the 24th; which happens to be the cheapest flight. Are there any early events anticipated for Friday?

bahwm

ajrod27 wrote:The 24th-26th will work for me. A quick search of flights shows I can be there as early as 9am, Friday the 24th; which happens to be the cheapest flight. Are there any early events anticipated for Friday?

Excellent! However, um, no really early events scheduled--yet--I'll be at work! I won't be free until about 3 PM. ddeuddeg may be able to flex his schedule--it's a mid-term exam day. He may be able to work it so that he can get free that day or only have to go in for part of it. There are plenty of things to do in our lovely small city! You could even check out some of the "local" wineries like Leonard Oakes and Arrowhead--about an hour away.

ajrod27

bahwm wrote:Excellent! However, um, no really early events scheduled--yet--I'll be at work! I won't be free until about 3 PM. ddeuddeg may be able to flex his schedule--it's a mid-term exam day. He may be able to work it so that he can get free that day or only have to go in for part of it. There are plenty of things to do in our lovely small city! You could even check out some of the "local" wineries like Leonard Oakes and Arrowhead--about an hour away.

Well, I'm perfectly capable of fending for myself. I don't want to inconvenience ddeuddeg; unless, of course, ddeuddeg would rather not be at work that day. Mid-term exam or wine tasting...that's a tough decision!

I'm trying to convince a couple friends to join. If they decide to go, we'll rent a car and do some exploring on Friday morning/afternoon and then meet up with the group when they become available.

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

We're almost definite on attending, just gotta figure out logistics. Looks like we've been beaten to the request to stay at Chez Bahwm so we'll have to figure out alternative arrangements. But I have my passport now

There's always a group on for Niagara escapes so maybe we can arrange something through that.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

bahwm

cheron98 wrote:We're almost definite on attending, just gotta figure out logistics. Looks like we've been beaten to the request to stay at Chez Bahwm so we'll have to figure out alternative arrangements. But I have my passport now

There's always a group on for Niagara escapes so maybe we can arrange something through that.

Great news that you have your passport! Yeah, you're about third or fourth on the list for Chez Bahwm!

Be careful about the idea of a groupon for Niagara escapes: do you REALLY want to have to drive 35 - 45 minutes or so after any of our events on the Icewine weekend? My guess is: probably not. The hotels near the airport are not that far away, maybe about 15 minutes. Downtown is 10 - 15 minutes.

vwsmaltz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vwsmaltz

Monica and I will be there!!!

ajrod27

I just booked my flight! I'll be arriving at Buffalo Niagara International Airport(BUF) on Friday at 10:03AM and departing on Sunday at 4:21PM.

My +1 and +2 are probable on joining but they have not yet booked.

justinrsanderson

quality posts: 1 Private Messages justinrsanderson

I'm in. My +1 will be in for some activities, but not all. Depends on her work schedule. Looking forward to seeing the plans develop.

"If it smells done, it's done. If it smells burnt, it's burnt. If it don't smell, it ain't done yet."

bahwm

cheron98 wrote:We're almost definite on attending, just gotta figure out logistics. Looks like we've been beaten to the request to stay at Chez Bahwm so we'll have to figure out alternative arrangements. But I have my passport now

So, is this a definite on you guys coming?

bahwm

Great that AJ & Justin are in. Updates made.

North316

So what's the general time-line for this thing? What happens each day? What time/day would/should I expect to arrive/depart (and from where) if I were able to attend?

My CT

bahwm

North316 wrote:So what's the general time-line for this thing? What happens each day? What time/day would/should I expect to arrive/depart (and from where) if I were able to attend?

Usually people from out of town start to arrive on Friday. We'll plan on some Buffalo-style food for dinner on Friday evening--chicken wings, beef on weck. Probably come back to our place for some cheesecake and some port or jump start the icewine theme.

Saturday morning often works to get breakfast at D ick & Jenny's on Grand Island (about 20 minutes from South Buffalo) followed by a full day of tasting and food pairing in Niagara-on-the-Lake Region. No decisions have been made as to which wineries we will go to yet. If Mike will have us, a major sushi and bubbly blow out dinner at Seabar in downtown Buffalo.

Sunday, ddeuddeg and I have to sing at 10 AM Mass at Blessed Trinity RC Church, the purest form of 12th century Lombard Romanesque architecture in the country and then, probably brunch at Shango. Then, off to taste some brewskis at the Blue Monk.

I know that you're in Ohio, but I forget exactly where. So, I don't know if you would be driving or flying. Our main airport is the Buffalo NIagara International Airport (BUF). There is a smaller airport in NIagara Falls, NY too and that would be about a half hour drive or so to our house in South Buffalo. Buffalo is quite a handy city. Most things are about 20 minutes away. The NOTL region in Canada is about 40 minutes away or so, depending on bridge traffic into Canada.

I hope this info helps. Sorry for no links--I don't have time to do that today. Will pop the links up on the first post later in the week. Gotta get more work done on grades now.

North316

bahwm wrote:Usually people from out of town start to arrive on Friday. We'll plan on some Buffalo-style food for dinner on Friday evening--chicken wings, beef on weck. Probably come back to our place for some cheesecake and some port or jump start the icewine theme.

Saturday morning often works to get breakfast at D ick & Jenny's on Grand Island (about 20 minutes from South Buffalo) followed by a full day of tasting and food pairing in Niagara-on-the-Lake Region. No decisions have been made as to which wineries we will go to yet. If Mike will have us, a major sushi and bubbly blow out dinner at Seabar in downtown Buffalo.

Sunday, ddeuddeg and I have to sing at 10 AM Mass at Blessed Trinity RC Church, the purest form of 12th century Lombard Romanesque architecture in the country and then, probably brunch at Shango. Then, off to taste some brewskis at the Blue Monk.

I know that you're in Ohio, but I forget exactly where. So, I don't know if you would be driving or flying. Our main airport is the Buffalo NIagara International Airport (BUF). There is a smaller airport in NIagara Falls, NY too and that would be about a half hour drive or so to our house in South Buffalo. Buffalo is quite a handy city. Most things are about 20 minutes away. The NOTL region in Canada is about 40 minutes away or so, depending on bridge traffic into Canada.

I hope this info helps. Sorry for no links--I don't have time to do that today. Will pop the links up on the first post later in the week. Gotta get more work done on grades now.

That definitely helps.

I'm in Toledo, so just under 5 hours to Buffalo, would drive, not fly.

Just trying to gauge the feasibility. This is during one of my busiest times of the year, smack-dab in the middle of my biggest audit. Sounds like Saturday is the big, long, day with Friday and Sunday for travel and extraneous activities.

I will still give this a lot of thought and check with the wife on her thoughts. I can probably afford to not work the weekend, but Friday would be the tricky part. Half-day of work would get me to Buffalo in time for those festivities, full-day of work gets me there in time to sleep for the long day on Saturday. Sunday brunch then hit the road gets us back at a reasonable time...hmm.

Since I have never been to the falls, Sunday could also be spent checking other things out instead...

My CT

bahwm

North316 wrote:That definitely helps.

I'm in Toledo, so just under 5 hours to Buffalo, would drive, not fly.

Just trying to gauge the feasibility. This is during one of my busiest times of the year, smack-dab in the middle of my biggest audit. Sounds like Saturday is the big, long, day with Friday and Sunday for travel and extraneous activities.

I will still give this a lot of thought and check with the wife on her thoughts. I can probably afford to not work the weekend, but Friday would be the tricky part. Half-day of work would get me to Buffalo in time for those festivities, full-day of work gets me there in time to sleep for the long day on Saturday. Sunday brunch then hit the road gets us back at a reasonable time...hmm.

Since I have never been to the falls, Sunday could also be spent checking other things out instead...

Sorry. I forgot: we usually stop at the Falls while we are in Canada--a much better view from there! If ajrod's friends are coming, I don't think they have been there and I'm not sure about wkdpanda's wife. Of course, there are many more things to do--just not a lot of time!

klezman

quality posts: 127 Private Messages klezman

Oy, molarchae and I *so* want to join in! Finances and vacation time may prevent us from doing so, however. If we don't come, maybe we try to host an icewine themed event down here at the same time.

2014: 42 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2012 Iron Horse Estate Chardonnay
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

wkdpanda

quality posts: 11 Private Messages wkdpanda
ddeuddeg wrote:It might be a bit unrealistic to hope Mike could be as generous as last time, but we're always amenable to having dinner there.

I told my +1 about the amazing "Beef on 'weck" roll that he does. Stone Road was also really good. Either way, how can we not have good food? Maybe even a cheesecake? /hint/ :-)

----------------
Andy the Wicked Panda

ajrod27

bahwm wrote:Sorry. I forgot: we usually stop at the Falls while we are in Canada--a much better view from there! If ajrod's friends are coming, I don't think they have been there and I'm not sure about wkdpanda's wife. Of course, there are many more things to do--just not a lot of time!

I'm pretty sure niether of my friends have seen Niagara falls; we'll definitely make that a priority stop. I saw it at night last time, which was pretty impressive! The route to the ice wine festival goes right by The Falls, correct?