WootBot


quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Ty Caton Cabernet Collection (2)

Speed to First Woot:
2m 8.228s
First Sucker:
MarkDaSpark
Last Wooter to Woot:
gibbo10000
Last Purchase:
10 months ago
Order Pace (rank):
Bottom 38% of Wine Woots
Top 36% of all Woots
Woots Sold (rank):
Top 43% of Wine Woots
Top 29% of all Woots

Purchaser Experience

  • 5% first woot
  • 5% second woot
  • 10% < 10 woots
  • 12% < 25 woots
  • 69% ≥ 25 woots

Purchaser Seniority

  • 5% joined today
  • 0% one week old
  • 1% one month old
  • 6% one year old
  • 88% > one year old

Quantity Breakdown

  • 60% bought 1
  • 31% bought 2
  • 8% bought 3

Percentage of Sales Per Hour

11%
1%
2%
1%
2%
0%
6%
8%
10%
13%
6%
4%
7%
1%
4%
1%
2%
1%
4%
2%
2%
2%
2%
5%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting



Quality Posts


Cesare


quality posts: 1560 Private Messages Cesare

Ty Caton Cabernet Collection 2-Pack
$59.99 $̶1̶0̶8̶.̶0̶0̶ 44% off List Price
2010 Terraces Cabernet Sauvignon, Sonoma Valley
2010 Little Hill Cabernet Sauvignon, Sonoma Valley
CT links above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 174 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

Haven't met a wine from Ty I didn't like. As long as you let them breathe, that is!



Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

cortot20


quality posts: 130 Private Messages cortot20

I most likely had these at Ty's futures barrel tasting in 2011 but I have no idea which ones I had, there were only 10 barrels pulled out all different vineyards. So yes this was a pointless self important post and you are all welcome.

CT

klezman


quality posts: 119 Private Messages klezman

Since Ty will be wanting to move on to his 2011s soon enough, this is a nice opportune deal. I've still got 3 of the 4 individual 2008 Cab Collection bottles here (drank the first a couple weeks ago). As always, delicious. Thankfully my siwbm decided what I'm going to do about today's offer.

Ty, what's the preferred drinking order on the Arroyo, Upper Bench, and Big Hill? I think we drank the Barracks first. Hope it was the right choice!

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

PhilSandifer


quality posts: 17 Private Messages PhilSandifer

I'm always hesitant about trying Ty Caton, because wines that require long aging are just a pain for me. But hope springs eternal - how long do these guys occupy rack space before they're good?

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 174 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
PhilSandifer wrote:I'm always hesitant about trying Ty Caton, because wines that require long aging are just a pain for me. But hope springs eternal - how long do these guys occupy rack space before they're good?



CT has the Little Hill now thru 2017, and the other as a Drink By 2017.

They're 2010, so probably drinkable now, but you will need to decant (allow them to breathe for an hour or more) them. Maybe less.

You could also use a Vinturi aerator for each glass instead of waiting an hour.


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

noslensj


quality posts: 41 Private Messages noslensj
MarkDaSpark wrote:CT has the Little Hill now thru 2017, and the other as a Drink By 2017.

They're 2010, so probably drinkable now, but you will need to decant (allow them to breathe for an hour or more) them. Maybe less.

You could also use a Vinturi aerator for each glass instead of waiting an hour.


Or better yet, Vinturi into the decanter, then give it about 15 minutes to settle down. With wines that need time to open, that's my preferred method.

Once the air gets into the wine, there's still a certain amount of time required for air to interact with the wine. Chemical kinetics, and all of that.


bsevern


quality posts: 109 Private Messages bsevern
noslensj wrote:Or better yet, Vinturi into the decanter, then give it about 15 minutes to settle down. With wines that need time to open, that's my preferred method.

Once the air gets into the wine, there's still a certain amount of time required for air to interact with the wine. Chemical kinetics, and all of that.



Wine shower anyone?

http://wine.woot.com/blog/post/houdini-decanter-with-wine-shower-1-1

greyday


quality posts: 51 Private Messages greyday

With young cabs, I tend to vinturi into a wine shower into a decanter, let sit 30, then drink slowly throughout several hours. You get close to the experience of cellaring several bottles and opening them each at different times.

Or you don't. But it's fun.

On the fence, bought too much wine the past few weeks, but I do like Ty's stuff. If it's still around in the morning, I may have to bite...

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 543 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

If your state isn't on the "Ship to" list, go here for more info.



Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

gastrognome


quality posts: 3 Private Messages gastrognome

I love Ty's wines so much I joined his wine club. A not inexpensive proposition. I've not had this particular offering, but if my cellar were not already full of Ty's other goodies, this would be an auto buy.

mdctreeguy


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mdctreeguy
gastrognome wrote:I love Ty's wines so much I joined his wine club. A not inexpensive proposition. I've not had this particular offering, but if my cellar were not already full of Ty's other goodies, this would be an auto buy.



A little off subject, but I just joined a wine club after enjoying a particular wine I purchased on WW. Can anybody out there speak to the advantages/disadvantages of joining a wine club? Beside the obvious case discounts, I was a little disappointed to receive pre-selected bottles at what I thought was a high price. Thanks for any comments.

Cyradia


quality posts: 29 Private Messages Cyradia
mdctreeguy wrote:A little off subject, but I just joined a wine club after enjoying a particular wine I purchased on WW. Can anybody out there speak to the advantages/disadvantages of joining a wine club? Beside the obvious case discounts, I was a little disappointed to receive pre-selected bottles at what I thought was a high price. Thanks for any comments.



I think the advantage is usually in the winery's favor. If you're looking for value as a top priority, then I think wine clubs are always going to disappoint (unless, perhaps, you live within driving distance of the winery). They're all structured differently, but the advantages as I see them have been:

1) I don't forget about the winery. Once or twice a year a wine maker that I have historically really liked sends me stuff he or she is currently working on. By joining the club there's some structure in place so it "crosses my desk" at regular intervals.

2) Hypothetically speaking you should be getting wine to taste before most people get their hands on it. If there's an excellent release of a particular type...you are more or less first in line to buy it up before it sells out. However, I sometimes feel like they also use wine clubs as a clearing house and stick less-than-great wines in there.

3) I've never been impressed by the discounts, because the shipping tends to "counter balance" the price. That said, if you live within driving distance I think they become reasonably good deals.

4) Most wine clubs come with tasting privileges of some kind at the winery (assuming they have a tasting room). Again, if you lived close this could make the membership much more valuable and fun.

I think in most cases you join because you really enjoy their wines, you want to taste a wide variety of what they produce, and you like dealing with the winery. I buy most of my Wellington here, because the prices are better. I really like the Wellington wines though and I find the staff member (Toby) a pleasure to deal with. If I were just focused on the QPR though, I wouldn't do the club.

Oh, and depending on how the club works, most will let you "pass" on an order. So if you're really full on wine or you've already bought a lot of what is already in the club shipment, just shoot them an email and ask if you can sit this round out. I wouldn't stay with a club that didn't allow that type of flexibility.

exlaxer


quality posts: 0 Private Messages exlaxer
Cyradia wrote:I think the advantage is usually in the winery's favor. If you're looking for value as a top priority, then I think wine clubs are always going to disappoint (unless, perhaps, you live within driving distance of the winery). They're all structured differently, but the advantages as I see them have been:

1) I don't forget about the winery. Once or twice a year a wine maker that I have historically really liked sends me stuff he or she is currently working on. By joining the club there's some structure in place so it "crosses my desk" at regular intervals.

2) Hypothetically speaking you should be getting wine to taste before most people get their hands on it. If there's an excellent release of a particular type...you are more or less first in line to buy it up before it sells out. However, I sometimes feel like they also use wine clubs as a clearing house and stick less-than-great wines in there.

3) I've never been impressed by the discounts, because the shipping tends to "counter balance" the price. That said, if you live within driving distance I think they become reasonably good deals.

4) Most wine clubs come with tasting privileges of some kind at the winery (assuming they have a tasting room). Again, if you lived close this could make the membership much more valuable and fun.

I think in most cases you join because you really enjoy their wines, you want to taste a wide variety of what they produce, and you like dealing with the winery. I buy most of my Wellington here, because the prices are better. I really like the Wellington wines though and I find the staff member (Toby) a pleasure to deal with. If I were just focused on the QPR though, I wouldn't do the club.

Oh, and depending on how the club works, most will let you "pass" on an order. So if you're really full on wine or you've already bought a lot of what is already in the club shipment, just shoot them an email and ask if you can sit this round out. I wouldn't stay with a club that didn't allow that type of flexibility.



+1. Thanks for your observations!

I hope you can sleep at night knowing that you just made me buy 3.

kaolis


quality posts: 27 Private Messages kaolis

I have never joined a wine club, will never join a wine club. I buy a fair amount of wine, but I prefer to buy what I want to drink, not what someone else wants me to drink.

gilda345


quality posts: 0 Private Messages gilda345
mdctreeguy wrote:A little off subject, but I just joined a wine club after enjoying a particular wine I purchased on WW. Can anybody out there speak to the advantages/disadvantages of joining a wine club? Beside the obvious case discounts, I was a little disappointed to receive pre-selected bottles at what I thought was a high price. Thanks for any comments.



I've joined a few clubs after visiting wineries in California because their wine isn't distributed in my state. I agree the shipments aren't usually a great deal, but they're wines that I like and don't mind paying to have it delivered to my door since the only other way to acquire it is a trip to the West Coast.

I joined Ty's club after visiting the tasting room in May. One big perk was having access to a 50% off sale earlier this summer. I received a mixed case at a great price. A few of my other clubs have offered sales like that to members and it's a great opportunity to stock up.

SmilingBoognish


quality posts: 46 Private Messages SmilingBoognish

I'm not sure I'd be bold enough to try this with such an expensive cab, but for young Pedroncelli's I pour about half a glass, put the cork back in, and shake the daylights out of it for about 30 seconds. Then I'll pour another glass. The difference between the two is profound.

Cyradia wrote:

4) Most wine clubs come with tasting privileges of some kind at the winery (assuming they have a tasting room). Again, if you lived close this could make the membership much more valuable and fun.



One of our wine club memberships hosts poolside parties every quarter where members can come pick up their wines. The food is always good, too.

TyCaton


quality posts: 48 Private Messages TyCaton
klezman wrote:Since Ty will be wanting to move on to his 2011s soon enough, this is a nice opportune deal. I've still got 3 of the 4 individual 2008 Cab Collection bottles here (drank the first a couple weeks ago). As always, delicious. Thankfully my siwbm decided what I'm going to do about today's offer.

Ty, what's the preferred drinking order on the Arroyo, Upper Bench, and Big Hill? I think we drank the Barracks first. Hope it was the right choice!



I haven't tried the 2008 wines in some time. If I had to make an educated guess, for that vintage, I would drink the Arroyo, Big Hill, Upper Bench with the Barracks last

/tycaton/

TyCaton


quality posts: 48 Private Messages TyCaton
MarkDaSpark wrote:Haven't met a wine from Ty I didn't like. As long as you let them breathe, that is!



I agree with that one!

/tycaton/

zmanonice


quality posts: 21 Private Messages zmanonice

I have had both of these wines. As a Charter member of Ty's Cabernet club, we received a 30% discount. That means I paid $43.26 per bottle with taxes and shipping. This offer is $34.53 per bottle with taxes and shipping to Texas, so you are getting a better deal.

My typical process is I pop the cork and then place the bottle in my wine chiller. In this case, I set it to 63 degrees for a Cab. It takes about 45 minutes to get to the desired temperature. I don't take any notes on the first glass, so the wine has had a chance to open up.

8/14/13 - 2010 Little Hill Cab

Medium purple color, violet at the edge, opaque as expected. Did not pick up the typical Cab nose of cassis. The nose was what I would call stale, a little hot, and no berries or fruit showed up. The wine had medium tartness, an average amount of tannins, and an average length finish. A little dark fruit came across on the tasting, but it seemed a bit weak. My notes said "not much to talk about". I was a bit disappointed based on the price, and wondered if I had opened it too early.

10/17/12 - 2010 Terraces Cab

Medium purple color to the edge, opaque as expected. Faint, dark berries on the nose, not much else of note, seemed a little stale or dry. The wine had medium tartness, an above average amount of tannins, and an average length finish. It had an interesting flavor and I picked up some fruit as well. Didn't have any negative comments compared to the bottle above.

The shipments come with two bottles each of these wines, so the second bottle is laying down for a few years to see if there is any improvement.

I dropped out of the club earlier this year as I didn't think the QPR was there to justify continued purchases. Of course, YMMV.

Z

klezman


quality posts: 119 Private Messages klezman
TyCaton wrote:I haven't tried the 2008 wines in some time. If I had to make an educated guess, for that vintage, I would drink the Arroyo, Big Hill, Upper Bench with the Barracks last



Oops!
Thanks for the suggestions...will go in that order for the remainder.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

Storm33


quality posts: 2 Private Messages Storm33

Why in the heck aren't they shipping to Michigan?? I've bought several bottles of Ty Caton in the past, both on W.W and direct from their site, without incident - even as recently as this summer. What changed? I really want this offering; I rarely miss a Caton / Woot deal. .

I'm done whining now, so I'll go enjoy my 2010 Caton cab with some roast pork and roasted fall veggies.

I've stopped counting after:
2 shirt woots
25 woots
85 wine.woots (including the FIRST Woot Cellars box set)

klezman


quality posts: 119 Private Messages klezman

See above - there's a link to a post with the collected wisdom of your fellow wooters.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

Storm33


quality posts: 2 Private Messages Storm33

That's quite vague, but thanks for trying. I just visited the Caton website and can still order wine / have it shipped to Michigan - so it makes no sense that Woot isn't allowing me to buy it here.

I've stopped counting after:
2 shirt woots
25 woots
85 wine.woots (including the FIRST Woot Cellars box set)

noslensj


quality posts: 41 Private Messages noslensj
Storm33 wrote:That's quite vague, but thanks for trying. I just visited the Caton website and can still order wine / have it shipped to Michigan - so it makes no sense that Woot isn't allowing me to buy it here.


In brief. Caton is direct selling to you. They own the wine. They sell it and ship it to you. Woot does not own the wine, They are a representative of the winery.

That might not seem like a big distinction to you, but in the world of alcoholic beverages it makes a huge difference in the rules of the game.

The warehousers and distributors have grudgingly allowed for direct sales, because they've been sort of compelled to. But they're doing everything they can to hang on to as much of their monopoly as they can, which means trying to make it as difficult as possible for out-of-state third parties to ship wine into the state.

joseph1951


quality posts: 1 Private Messages joseph1951

interesting that my post 8 hours ago asking about shipping to New York was deleted.....bought from this site over 20 times....thought woot was more tolerent of questions.....

fredrinaldi


quality posts: 33 Private Messages fredrinaldi
zmanonice wrote:I have had both of these wines. As a Charter member of Ty's Cabernet club, we received a 30% discount. That means I paid $43.26 per bottle with taxes and shipping. This offer is $34.53 per bottle with taxes and shipping to Texas, so you are getting a better deal.

My typical process is I pop the cork and then place the bottle in my wine chiller. In this case, I set it to 63 degrees for a Cab. It takes about 45 minutes to get to the desired temperature. I don't take any notes on the first glass, so the wine has had a chance to open up.

8/14/13 - 2010 Little Hill Cab

Medium purple color, violet at the edge, opaque as expected. Did not pick up the typical Cab nose of cassis. The nose was what I would call stale, a little hot, and no berries or fruit showed up. The wine had medium tartness, an average amount of tannins, and an average length finish. A little dark fruit came across on the tasting, but it seemed a bit weak. My notes said "not much to talk about". I was a bit disappointed based on the price, and wondered if I had opened it too early.

10/17/12 - 2010 Terraces Cab

Medium purple color to the edge, opaque as expected. Faint, dark berries on the nose, not much else of note, seemed a little stale or dry. The wine had medium tartness, an above average amount of tannins, and an average length finish. It had an interesting flavor and I picked up some fruit as well. Didn't have any negative comments compared to the bottle above.

The shipments come with two bottles each of these wines, so the second bottle is laying down for a few years to see if there is any improvement.

I dropped out of the club earlier this year as I didn't think the QPR was there to justify continued purchases. Of course, YMMV.

Z



this post knocked me off the fence.....pass.

kylemittskus


quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
joseph1951 wrote:interesting that my post 8 hours ago asking about shipping to New York was deleted.....bought from this site over 20 times....thought woot was more tolerent of questions.....



Not sure why that happened, but see here.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

blaculadave


quality posts: 17 Private Messages blaculadave

Staff

joseph1951 wrote:interesting that my post 8 hours ago asking about shipping to New York was deleted.....bought from this site over 20 times....thought woot was more tolerent of questions.....



GREAT NEWS EVERYONE! We've had a fantastic late-breaking update. NY shipping is back on!

otolith


quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith
blaculadave wrote:GREAT NEWS EVERYONE! We've had a fantastic late-breaking update. NY shipping is back on!



Hmmm, maybe I'll be the token MN peep to ask, daily, why we're not on the list...

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

nmachen


quality posts: 35 Private Messages nmachen
otolith wrote:Hmmm, maybe I'll be the token MN peep to ask, daily, why we're not on the list...



I asked too, but the post was deleted...

"Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending."
- Maria Robinson

gregorylane


quality posts: 15 Private Messages gregorylane

Famed 2010 vintage?
Even I am in for this.
See you in 2020

There is really no point in trying to explain liberty to people who don't understand what it means.
rpm-2012

sombraala


quality posts: 4 Private Messages sombraala

Boooo, I make sure that I don't forget to hop on this at the last second only to find out that Missouri is apparently no longer cool or something.

Sadness...