MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

PoSt away folks!

And really? No one wanted to start the Pub?

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

cjsiege wrote:List of previous WW gatherings by area.
New list in the Gatherings tab and Old list in the Community tab. Great reading and great examples of how to set up a Get-Together Thread.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Upcoming Woot Wine Gatherings…All The News for the week of October 6
Fall foliage is starting. Time to transition from summery whites to toasty reds. Attend or Host a Get-Together in your area!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
October
Late Oct: October Trip to Taldeschi, Hawley & Handal

November
11/2: DFW: Dinner at Eden Please RSVP by Oct 26.
11/29: NoVA/DC #30: Annual Leftovers Feasting

Pending
TBD: Atlanta #1
TBD: NYC Tasting #??: A Tribute (interest thread)
TBD: NorCal #?: Open invitation to the New Muscardini Tasting Room

No events in your area??? Start one! Create an interest thread in the GATHERINGS Community Tab.

So join or create a WW Gathering!

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 617 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

WAKE UP!

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

MarkDaSpark

bahwm

quality posts: 34 Private Messages bahwm

Absolutely CRAZY day at school. I think the wind & all the rain messed with their brains!

Quick nap & off to a Shakespeare meeting! Don't know if I can get through a two plus hour meeting today.

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

bahwm

ThunderThighs wrote:WAKE UP!

TT, thanks for the laugh!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

mommadeb1

quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1
bahwm wrote:Absolutely CRAZY day at school. I think the wind & all the rain messed with their brains!

Quick nap & off to a Shakespeare meeting! Don't know if I can get through a two plus hour meeting today.

u too? must be something in the air...did a killer workout, came home to good news, my box from Twisted came in... but turns out, our air went out....so it's 85 and humid in my house...grrrr

bahwm

mommadeb1 wrote:u too? must be something in the air...did a killer workout, came home to good news, my box from Twisted came in... but turns out, our air went out....so it's 85 and humid in my house...grrrr

Glad that your shipment from Twisted arrived. I think that mine arrived at the UPS depot today. ddeuddeg has four packages to pick up for us there tomorrow. Not sure what they all are. Should be like Christmas--a few months early!

Sorry that your AC went out. Have you checked the filter? Hopefully, it's that simple. We now have 54 and damp! Urg! It sure feels cold! We had 84 yesterday!

mommadeb1

bahwm wrote:Glad that your shipment from Twisted arrived. I think that mine arrived at the UPS depot today. ddeuddeg has four packages to pick up for us there tomorrow. Not sure what they all are. Should be like Christmas--a few months early!

Sorry that your AC went out. Have you checked the filter? Hopefully, it's that simple. We now have 54 and damp! Urg! It sure feels cold! We had 84 yesterday!

we have AC again, it's nice to have our AC guy be our neighbor who lives behind us! it was the....something compiler? oh well at least it's back on... our highs are still in the upper 80's and we had rain most of the day.. so our humidity was way up today ....

MarkDaSpark

New SoCal Gathering interest thread is up. Temecula, Santa Barbara, or somewhere else?

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
mommadeb1 wrote:u too? must be something in the air...did a killer workout, came home to good news, my box from Twisted came in... but turns out, our air went out....so it's 85 and humid in my house...grrrr

Our TO boxes came last night too. Though I had known they were coming...the MyUPS.com account prevents surprises. You get an email when a shipment is coming to your address, and when you look at the tracking number details it'll tell you who it's from.
We also gave a bottle of Blitzen to the UPS guy. I'd been meaning to do so for awhile, especailly from my early years of buying wine when Woot used them. But ever since the switch to FedEx I hadn't been getting much wine delivered by UPS anymore. But with this batch of boxes, and the gazillion other things we've been ordering post-wedding....well, he certainly deserved a bottle last night.

We've also been having A/C issues again, and finally decided to start looking into getting a new system. Have someone coming out on Thurday to get a quote for a new & more energy efficient system. My condo uses a combo unit (CAC & Heat...utilizing Gas) and the current Skymark model that's in there only has a 9.7 SEER rating. So if we can buy a new unit with a much higher SEER rating, and get a rebate (called one of the rebate qualified contractors listed by LIPA), and with the lowered electric bill....it should be worth it. Plus, when we're ready to sell the condo we'll be able to put down that it has a brand new energy efficient system.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

Anyone have any good, easy salmon recipes? I have a good size fillet of salmon left from Sunday and just figured I would check if anyone else has some good, fairly easy recipes to try.

I've been just doing S&P, touch of garlic powder, ginger and cayenne. Cover liberally with brown sugar and let it sit for a good half hour or so. Bake/grill/whatever and in the last 2-3 minute drizzle just a touch of honey over top. Delicious. Nice sweetness which I love with salmon and the little sprinkle of cayenne comes through with a nice heat. This also keeps the salmon real moist and is still great the next day either by itself or over salad.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 617 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

North316 wrote:Anyone have any good, easy salmon recipes? I have a good size fillet of salmon left from Sunday and just figured I would check if anyone else has some good, fairly easy recipes to try.

I've been just doing S&P, touch of garlic powder, ginger and cayenne. Cover liberally with brown sugar and let it sit for a good half hour or so. Bake/grill/whatever and in the last 2-3 minute drizzle just a touch of honey over top. Delicious. Nice sweetness which I love with salmon and the little sprinkle of cayenne comes through with a nice heat. This also keeps the salmon real moist and is still great the next day either by itself or over salad.

Grill it. Easy and no seasonings needed. Salmon doesn't need it, IMO.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

rjquillin

quality posts: 189 Private Messages rjquillin
ThunderThighs wrote:Grill it. Easy and no seasonings needed. Salmon doesn't need it, IMO.

From my Japanese SWMBO; +1
..but that did sound rather interesting and tasty as well, if not overdone.

CT

InFrom

quality posts: 34 Private Messages InFrom
North316 wrote:Anyone have any good, easy salmon recipes? I have a good size fillet of salmon left from Sunday and just figured I would check if anyone else has some good, fairly easy recipes to try.

I've been making this hoisin-based glaze for years now -- it's a major favorite with us. Yes, I saw it on "Martha Stewart's Everyday Food". Don't judge me! The only change I make, and it's a minor one, is that I sub lemon or lime juice for the oj.

klezman

quality posts: 130 Private Messages klezman

Here's something different, assuming the fish is of high freshness and quality:
-slice about 1/4-1/2 inch thick pieces
-heat sesame oil in a pan until it's smoking
-pour oil over salmon
-salmon cooks a bit, but not all the way through and you get sesame oil deliciousness
-you can season a bit with garlic/salt/pepper/whatever if you like
-make sure to pat the salmon somewhat dry first to minimize splattering

2014: 57 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2011 Wellington Cab & Merlot, Roessler 2009 Bluejay, 2010 Bell Cabernet
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

InFrom

klezman wrote:Here's something different, assuming the fish is of high freshness and quality:
-pour oil over salmon
-salmon cooks a bit, but not all the way through and you get sesame oil deliciousness

I've done that sesame oil pour-over with salmon that's already been steamed (with ginger and scallions), but never tried it w/o cooking it first. Then again, except for when I visited BC, I've never had salmon whose freshness I trusted to that extent.

North316

ThunderThighs wrote:Grill it. Easy and no seasonings needed. Salmon doesn't need it, IMO.

I agree that salmon doesn't need it, but try my version and you will realize that salmon WANTS it.

My CT

North316

klezman wrote:Here's something different, assuming the fish is of high freshness and quality:
-pour oil over salmon

I would try that on some nice fresh, wild salmon. While this salmon was incredibly fresh when I bought it at Costco (like, really surprisingly fresh) it's two or three days older now and its farm-raised. Wouldn't trust it rare.

My CT

North316

InFrom wrote:I've been making this hoisin-based glaze for years now -- it's a major favorite with us. Yes, I saw it on "Martha Stewart's Everyday Food". Don't judge me! The only change I make, and it's a minor one, is that I sub lemon or lime juice for the oj.

Have you tried it just in the oven, as opposed to using the broiler? Might try this tonight, half my way, half this way. I think I am our of hoisin so that is all I need to pick up.

My CT

InFrom

North316 wrote:Have you tried it just in the oven, as opposed to using the broiler? Might try this tonight, half my way, half this way. I think I am our of hoisin so that is all I need to pick up.

I sometimes finish the last few mins of the cooking time in the hot oven, as things get kinda smoky sometimes under the broiler. But it's nice with the glaze all caramelized, so I don't think I would forgo the broiler treatment entirely, even if it were just to finish it for a minute or two.

pseudogourmet98

quality posts: 19 Private Messages pseudogourmet98
North316 wrote:I would try that on some nice fresh, wild salmon. While this salmon was incredibly fresh when I bought it at Costco (like, really surprisingly fresh) it's two or three days older now and its farm-raised. Wouldn't trust it rare.

Living in Florida, I am also careful with salmon. When it is labeled "fresh wild-caught Alaskan", I have trouble reconciling the like a gazillion miles it has to travel and still be fresh. Don't get me wrong, I still buy it, but do more to it than I would to fish I know is fresh/local.

We found Ina Garten's Asian Grilled Salmon to be incredibly easy and delicious. I really don't think it tastes "Asian" but it is really good.

MarkDaSpark

Stop it!! Now I have to go find some salmon.

otolith

quality posts: 24 Private Messages otolith
MarkDaSpark wrote:Stop it!! Now I have to go find some salmon.

I love all this salmon talk!

I'll usually put it on a cedar plank on the grill. Usually cover with salt/pepper, olive oil or butter, with brown sugar all over, then sprinkled with lemon. I might have to add some cayenne pepper next time, as that just sounds awesome.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

mommadeb1

HitAnyKey42 wrote:Our TO boxes came last night too. Though I had known they were coming...the MyUPS.com account prevents surprises. You get an email when a shipment is coming to your address, and when you look at the tracking number details it'll tell you who it's from.
We also gave a bottle of Blitzen to the UPS guy. I'd been meaning to do so for awhile, especailly from my early years of buying wine when Woot used them. But ever since the switch to FedEx I hadn't been getting much wine delivered by UPS anymore. But with this batch of boxes, and the gazillion other things we've been ordering post-wedding....well, he certainly deserved a bottle last night.

We've also been having A/C issues again, and finally decided to start looking into getting a new system. Have someone coming out on Thurday to get a quote for a new & more energy efficient system. My condo uses a combo unit (CAC & Heat...utilizing Gas) and the current Skymark model that's in there only has a 9.7 SEER rating. So if we can buy a new unit with a much higher SEER rating, and get a rebate (called one of the rebate qualified contractors listed by LIPA), and with the lowered electric bill....it should be worth it. Plus, when we're ready to sell the condo we'll be able to put down that it has a brand new energy efficient system.

I also knew my TO was on its way.... was surprised as it is still in the upper 80's here... but all looked ok to me....

we got a new ac unit a few years back.. but u know me and electronics....

North316

Forgot to grab the hoisin while I was at the store, so tried and true it is. Paired with nice fresh crusty Vienna bread and some some Stillman Grenache Blanc.

Oh yeah, and there is banana cream pie left over for dessert.

My CT

klezman

Not overtly political, and good food for thought. Apologies if y'all think this is only suited for the Poli-Ticks thread. http://nyti.ms/18MNZ56

2014: 57 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2011 Wellington Cab & Merlot, Roessler 2009 Bluejay, 2010 Bell Cabernet
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

MarkDaSpark

klezman wrote:Not overtly political, and good food for thought. Apologies if y'all think this is only suited for the Poli-Ticks thread. http://nyti.ms/18MNZ56

Pretty much anything from the NY Times, like Fox News, belongs only in the Poli-Ticks thread.

chemvictim

quality posts: 4 Private Messages chemvictim
klezman wrote:Not overtly political, and good food for thought. Apologies if y'all think this is only suited for the Poli-Ticks thread. http://nyti.ms/18MNZ56

Good points. Wouldn't it be nice if people behaved themselves?

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

So HAK and I are starting to think about a gathering. The place is acceptable enough for company now Not sure when, may not be til January. But start thinking about coming!

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

rjquillin

quality posts: 189 Private Messages rjquillin

OpEd = Poli"Ticks", especially NY OpEd.
[edit]No, all OpEd.

CT

bahwm

cheron98 wrote:So HAK and I are starting to think about a gathering. The place is acceptable enough for company now Not sure when, may not be til January. But start thinking about coming!

Of course, there is also the ever popular Ice Wine Festival in January. I think it's the last three weekends in January. Some of us have off on Monday, January 20th. I'll start a thread soon for further discussion.

bahwm

Gotta go to a NYS language teachers' conference this weekend here in Buffalo. I just remembered that Monday is a holiday! Yeah!

chemvictim

quality posts: 4 Private Messages chemvictim
bahwm wrote:Gotta go to a NYS language teachers' conference this weekend here in Buffalo. I just remembered that Monday is a holiday! Yeah!

IT IS???? Awesome.

MarkDaSpark

chemvictim wrote:IT IS???? Awesome.

Columbus Day ... which is supposed to be insensitive to Native Americans, both North, Central, & South. Which I can understand, since Europeans pretty much caused much pain and anguish (diseases, enslavement, etc.) in their conquest of the New World.

Although if they were honest, the Aztecs did pretty much the same to everyone they encountered. And probably all the other tribes as well.

klezman

MarkDaSpark wrote:Columbus Day ... which is supposed to be insensitive to Native Americans, both North, Central, & South. Which I can understand, since Europeans pretty much caused much pain and anguish (diseases, enslavement, etc.) in their conquest of the New World.

Although if they were honest, the Aztecs did pretty much the same to everyone they encountered. And probably all the other tribes as well.

Monday is Thanksgiving. In Canada. We're having turkey this weekend. You should come. Not to Canada, but in West LA.

klezman

chemvictim wrote:Good points. Wouldn't it be nice if people behaved themselves?

Yes, this is exactly the point. One should be able to get their message across without failing the Hitler rule (or equivalent).

MarkDaSpark

klezman wrote:Monday is Thanksgiving. In Canada. We're having turkey this weekend. You should come. Not to Canada, but in West LA.

Have to see. May be visiting family in AZ this weekend. But if not, I will be there!

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
klezman wrote:Monday is Thanksgiving. In Canada. We're having turkey this weekend. You should come. Not to Canada, but in West LA.

Yes, the three day Canadian summer has passed. We all know sparky is really an alien from the show V and can't handle when the weather is below 70!

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

InFrom

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/09/dining/reviews/the-12-best-restaurants-in-new-york-for-wine.html?emc=eta1&_r=0

Made me want to leave work and go out for a fabulous meal somewhere in NYC....

From the first place named on his list:

Worthy Splurge: Cathy Corison Napa Valley Kronos cabernet sauvignon 1998, $190. A bad vintage? Try this well-aged specimen and see if you don’t think some beautiful Napa cabernets were made that year.