Fable Charbono, Napa Valley 3-Pack
$59.99 $̶9̶7̶.̶0̶0̶ 38% off List Price
2010 Fable Charbono, Napa Valley
CT link above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

lassow

quality posts: 132 Private Messages lassow

If you've never had a Charbono, give this a shot. You might enjoy this varietal with similar food as you would with a Cab S.

I like to talk about wine, but I'd rather drink it.

lassow

quality posts: 132 Private Messages lassow

...and your LLS will probably not have Charbono, so another reason to snatch this one.

I like to talk about wine, but I'd rather drink it.

klezman

quality posts: 119 Private Messages klezman

I returned from lunch one day to find a monkey-labeled box at my desk. I opened it, and lo and behold there was a Fable Charbono in it! Having enjoyed a small taste of a Tofanelli Charbono once upon a time I relished the opportunity to try this one. It did not disappoint!

My tasting notes are on CT, but I cannot currently access them due to the site being down. What I remember right now, though, is the fresh and bright flavours, excellent acidity, and molarchae and I repeatedly saying to each other: "this is delicious!" If I wasn't overly full right now it'd be an autobuy at $21.66+tax/bottle. As it is I'll need to sleep on it.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

kiddidoc

quality posts: 2 Private Messages kiddidoc
lassow wrote:If you've never had a Charbono, give this a shot. You might enjoy this varietal with similar food as you would with a Cab S.

klwines.com has it for $23/bottle. Does not seem like an enticing bargain to try a new wine.

teebodo

quality posts: 4 Private Messages teebodo

I'm wondering if TexiCaliAli will be by to answer questions, such a s drinking window? Max hold time?

rjquillin

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rjquillin

and with CT down, the link came from...?

CT

rjquillin

klezman wrote:I returned from lunch one day to find a monkey-labeled box at my desk. I opened it, and lo and behold there was a Fable Charbono in it! Having enjoyed a small taste of a Tofanelli Charbono once upon a time I relished the opportunity to try this one. It did not disappoint!

My tasting notes are on CT, but I cannot currently access them due to the site being down. What I remember right now, though, is the fresh and bright flavours, excellent acidity, and molarchae and I repeatedly saying to each other: "this is delicious!" If I wasn't overly full right now it'd be an autobuy at $21.66+tax/bottle. As it is I'll need to sleep on it.

Well, add one to the ledger for me when you wake up.

CT

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 174 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

cjsiege wrote:List of previous WW gatherings by area.
New list in the Gatherings tab and Old list in the Community tab. Great reading and great examples of how to set up a Get-Together Thread.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Upcoming Woot Wine Gatherings…All The News for the week of October 6
Fall foliage is starting. Time to transition from summery whites to toasty reds. Attend or Host a Get-Together in your area!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
October
Late Oct: October Trip to Taldeschi, Hawley & Handal

November
11/2: DFW: Dinner at Eden Please RSVP by Oct 26.
11/29: NoVA/DC #30: Annual Leftovers Feasting

Pending
TBD: Atlanta #1
TBD: NYC Tasting #??: A Tribute (interest thread)
TBD: NorCal #?: Open invitation to the New Muscardini Tasting Room

No events in your area??? Start one! Create an interest thread in the GATHERINGS Community Tab.

So join or create a WW Gathering!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

kiddidoc wrote:klwines.com has it for $23/bottle. Does not seem like an enticing bargain to try a new wine.

True for those in Cali ... surprising that someone is that close in price. WD?

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

texacaliali

quality posts: 136 Private Messages texacaliali

Guest Blogger

teebodo wrote:I'm wondering if TexiCaliAli will be by to answer questions, such a s drinking window? Max hold time?

Great question! Charbono ages incredibly well. I've been told to look for Charbono from the 70's and 80's...it's been wine of the night in "oldest bottle in the cellar" tastings too. I had a 1972 Inglenook Charbono about 10 years ago, the fruit was still alive and very drinkable for the first 20 minutes open...then began to fade.

The 2010 Fable Charbono was our very first Charbono bottling at Brack. I've shown this bottle many times over the past few months and won over many a critic.

Excited to spread the news about Fable on Wine.Woot!, a varietal that we hope to bring some life into some new Charbono drinkers.

WineDavid was my Boss!

texacaliali

Guest Blogger

MarkDaSpark wrote:True for those in Cali ... surprising that someone is that close in price. WD?

oh you can blame me, this special pricing for Wine.Woot! is the best in the nation no doubt.

WineDavid was my Boss!

greyday

quality posts: 51 Private Messages greyday

Hmm... A varietal I've never tried from a producer who has not disappointed in the past? Worth a shot, in for one (hoping I don't regret just getting one).

jmackinac

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jmackinac

Can somebody give me one or two sentences about this wine. All of the mumbo jumbo writing is fluff compared to information I really need to know. Why can't the writer go so far as to explain what a Charbono is. I just wanted to know if it's a red wine, assuming that Charbono is possibly the name of a grape or the person who originally grew the grape. CAn we have more useful information.

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon

Hey look, notes!

2010 Fable Napa Valley Charbono

popped, poured half into a split that was returned to the wine fridge, other half was tasted over the following hour.

Color: Dark reddish purple. Perfect clarity but VERY Dark.

Nose:
His: sassafras, cherry, redwood forest floor.
Hers: Ripe red plum, yellow cake, a hint of cinnamon, fresh sage (with a note of alcohol - surprising for a 12.7% wine)
His reply: I'll agree with the red plum as opposed to the cherry but i still like my sassafras on the front and the earthiness of the forest floor on the end. I didn't get the alcohol but I am not particularly sensitive to it.
Her reply: I understand the sassafras, but I'm getting that more as a split flavor: the sweetness folded into the yellow cake, and the herbal as the cinnamon and sage. I do see the earthiness of the forest floor, which I didn't initially describe, but don't feel that fully encompasses the brighter green + alcohol note that I'm getting on the end.

Palate:
His: Mid level nondescript acid on entry, followed by more of the same on the middle resolving to a bit of greenness and then cherry. The finish fades without oak influence to a slightly greenish mineral note

Hers: I see this wine as having two layers: the top, brighter note is a flavorless void while the bottom has a full plum note accented by baking spices and a bit of black pepper. This ends with a lot of dry tannins without any other flavors lingering to back them up.

His reply: ok, she was absolutely right about the two levels and I get the forest floor from the nose as well as the plum and perhaps espresso on the bottom while the top is still very meh. The tannins are reminiscent of a young Petite Sirah.

Overall:
His: The color is exciting, the nose follows on that promise and furthers it by having flavors that aren't as common but the palate falls short of the build up. The wine is not flawed, the mouthfeel is full, it isn't bitter or horribly tannic, there just seems to be a significant flavor missing to fill out the palate.
Hers: The interesting nose is the high point. Overall, a decent mindless wine - the flavors it has are enjoyable, and the flavors it lacks can be overlooked if you are simply enjoying the wine with a meal rather than dissecting it. Try it for the novelty of an unusual and palatable varietal, but don't expect it to stand in for an old favorite.

After being open for over 2 hours, the notes stand with the exception of the finish being a bit longer/ more complete and the tannins fading slightly.

I will open the split and post A second set of notes before this closes this evening. I hope that the wine will have developed a bit more. I am sad give one of Ali's wines a less than stellar review.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

losthighwayz

quality posts: 58 Private Messages losthighwayz

2010 fable Charbono

PNP on a hot so cal sunday evening

Color: skinny legs, violet hue, clear as opposed to opaque found in many violet-colored petite sirahs

Nose: alcohol, earthiness,

Taste: different for sure, cant pick out specifics. No oak influence which is a good thing. Low alcohol? Smooth and silky and comes across as well balanced....reminds a bit of a blending grape like Petit Verdot. i would say a food wine though enjoyable on its own...tasty though seems one dimensional...

I think it needs to open up a bit but liking it. Will let it sit for an hour and try with burgers from sprouts...went perfect with meal...blueberries are very noticeable now....a very pleasant and smooth wine....

Msrp guess:$25
Would buy at $18 delivered

"The older I get the better I was"

Cyradia

quality posts: 29 Private Messages Cyradia

Fable Charbono ~ Napa Valley 2010

(Sorry about any rough formatting...posting my review from iPad)

Wine magic luck struck again! I happened upon one of these bottles and here are my tasting notes. Thanks wine acquisition magic – you’re the best!!

My rule is I never look up the wine for reviews/price until after I have written these notes up. However, unfamiliar with charbono I was excited enough to research the grape. Of everything I read, I really think Wikipedia gives a pretty nice summary: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douce_noir After reading that, I realized I had tasted this grape before as “bonarda” at an Argentina wine tasting. I did not remember much about it at all, other than the DNA testing story.

Out of my red wine cooler at about 60 degrees. Pop and pour…

Color is dark and purple…really inky. The hold it up to a light bulb and it is still opaque kind of dark. Reminds me of a really deep syrah in color. I dripped a spot on our counter and the paper towel came up a beautiful deep magenta.

Smell is predominantly dark cherries and blackberry. Very pleasant and easy to stick your nose in the glass for many deep sniffs. Maybe something a little oaky/caramel-ish on the back end.

First Impressions (no food)

Me: First sip…oh my god this needs to breath. It is so tight I feel like I might have missed it all together. What I did get is fruit without any hint of sweetness. It is there in a tart fruit burst and then just poof, gone.

SO: Really tart! Not a long finish, which is really surprising given the aroma and color.

Venturied a glass several times through and left it out on the counter for about 1.5 hours

Me: I am new to charbono, but I admit the flavor profile is a surprise given the smell and look of this wine. It is easy to drink, but part of that is because it has such a short finish. The burst of intense tart fruit is so short it is almost hard to decide what it tastes like before it is gone. Cranberries actually come to mind.

SO: That [letting it breath] helps it, but I still get mostly tart.

With the Dinner – Stuffed acorn squash with cranberries, bleu cheese, mushrooms, and wild rice

Me: This continues to get better as the food seems to encourage it to stay on the taste buds a little longer. I still get the red/black berries as the strongest flavor, but cranberries still come to mind because of the tart.

SO: The food cuts the tartness some and this now reminds me more of a sparse French table wine. With this acorn squash dish I start to get hints of caramel after the fruit.

Two days later (the 1/2 bottle left in the bottle and kept in the fridge with the top sealed)
Served with crackers and bleu cheese

Me: The aroma is still very pleasant. I am surprised by how much the age has improved this. Tart flavor is still there, but it is not distracting. I am much more impressed this time around. I do not think cranberries any more. I think silky, smooth blackberries. Still a short finish, but not as stark as before.

SO: Tart has mellowed. This wine is almost disappears behind the food. I’m starting to get some leather/tobacco on the back end, but it is still a very astringent and dry wine (which is not a bad thing).

Summary: At each stage we make our tasting notes separately and then discuss. The thing that we kept coming back to is the mismatch behind our (totally uninformed) expectations and the actual taste of this wine. Holding a bottle of inky black wine with wonderful jammy smells that says Napa on it…and tasting something that was very thin with a short finish was a bit of a head spinner. Charbono is described on Wikipedia as a “cult wine”, and I can see why…it is enjoyable and very unique.

The tasting notes can be summed up as: Decant!! Or just open a day or two early and reseal. Tart red/black berry flavors. Very short finish. Better with food (but not too strongly flavored food).

All in all, if you are like me and really enjoy trying new wines and learning, I would buy a bottle (I do not yet know what the offer logistics will be). I thoroughly enjoyed the experience and am glad I now know something about Charbono, but I do not think we are ready to join the cult yet.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus

I happen to have a bottle of this. I'll post notes when my daughter naps sometime between 9am and noon PST.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

texacaliali

Guest Blogger

I enjoy this bottle best with food for sure, anything Italian with some great cheese of course has been a fantastic pairing.

Alcohol: 12.7%, this is driven by the grapes on the vine, always the last varietal to come in during harvest, takes forever to ripen. This particular vineyard in Napa is planted on big chunks of volcanic soil, so the minerality adds a deep layer at mid-sip. This wine is leans more towards a European palate, very refined oak treatment as well.

Decant - oh yeah, I love to decant this wine, it loves some fresh air. Typically when I have this out on a regular business day, it's opened around 7am and is just singing by mid-afternoon.

WineDavid was my Boss!

texacaliali

Guest Blogger

jmackinac wrote:Can somebody give me one or two sentences about this wine. All of the mumbo jumbo writing is fluff compared to information I really need to know. Why can't the writer go so far as to explain what a Charbono is. I just wanted to know if it's a red wine, assuming that Charbono is possibly the name of a grape or the person who originally grew the grape. CAn we have more useful information.

Hi - Charbono was planted over 70 years ago in this particular spot in the Napa Valley - the Meyer Family Vineyard to be specific. The vineyard was planted from Inglenook cuttings.

UC Davis final discovery after DNA testing is that Charbono originated from the Savoie wine region in France - the far east near Switzerland and above the Rhone Valley. Oh and yes, it's a red wine.

WineDavid was my Boss!

kylemittskus

As promised, but not as expected, here's my report:

Daughter went down for a really early nap, I did some dusting (SWMBO's orders), took my bottle out of the cellar, cut the capsule, and NOOOOO!!!!!

My bottle has suffered heat damage in transit. There is major seepage all the way up the sides of the cork and the top of the cork is stained. I poured a small sample and sniffed. Smells like heat damage. I tasted to see if anything is discernible. Tastes like heat damage. It has a very bitter streak running right through it that I'm still tasting 3-5 minutes later.

Sorry everyone.

I'm letting the bottle sit open for a few hours to see if I can get anything and will post back. In the mean time, I'm now going to read all the other notes and the rest of the thread as I was intentionally keeping myself in the dark.

texacaliali

Guest Blogger

kylemittskus wrote:As promised, but not as expected, here's my report:

Daughter went down for a really early nap, I did some dusting (SWMBO's orders), took my bottle out of the cellar, cut the capsule, and NOOOOO!!!!!

My bottle has suffered heat damage in transit. There is major seepage all the way up the sides of the cork and the top of the cork is stained. I poured a small sample and sniffed. Smells like heat damage. I tasted to see if anything is discernible. Tastes like heat damage. It has a very bitter streak running right through it that I'm still tasting 3-5 minutes later.

Sorry everyone.

I'm letting the bottle sit open for a few hours to see if I can get anything and will post back. In the mean time, I'm now going to read all the other notes and the rest of the thread as I was intentionally keeping myself in the dark.

oh so bummed for you!

WineDavid was my Boss!

SmilingBoognish

quality posts: 46 Private Messages SmilingBoognish
texacaliali wrote:I enjoy this bottle best with food for sure, anything Italian with some great cheese of course has been a fantastic pairing.

Can you compare to Robert Foley or Summers, the only two California Charono's I've tried? Here's my recollection of those two:

I've only had the Robert Foley once in a restaurant and don't remember the vintage. It was enjoyable with our tomato based Italian meal, but wasn't all that memorable. I got the sense that it really needed to breathe as it started evolving towards the end of our 45 minute meal. I first had the Summer's Charbono on the recommendation of a server at a little restaurant in Calistoga. It was an amazing pairing to a Margherita pizza. Usually the term "pizza wine" denotes a less than complex Tuesday night type of wine, but I was so impressed with this wine that the next day I took the short drive out to Summers and bought two cases. I drank it up over 5 years, but it was showing no signs of deteriorating when I opened the last bottle. It pairs well with red meats and does particularly well with tomato based dishes.

Both Charbono's had a long finish, as you would expect with a big wine like cab, but neither had nearly as much tannin, with the Foley having noticably more than the Summers. Lots of layered red fruits in both. If it finished quickly, I would be tempted to say it was candy like and meh, but the initial bright fruit was tempered by an earthier finish that makes it tough to not finish the bottle.

rpm

quality posts: 167 Private Messages rpm

I don't know this wine, but I know something of Charbono. There was sometimes a bit of it in the great Inglenook Cabs of the Daniels/Deuer era. And, of course, for many years (going back to somewhere in the '40s, IIRC), Inglenook made a very little varietal Charbono, with a little of this and that in it.

I've probably had 25-30 odd vintages of the Inglenook Charbono from the '50s through the 80's and have always liked them. It was sometimes a good wine in a bad year: 1969 and 1972 were really not very good (read, esp. with '72, damned lousy) years, but in both years the Charbono was very good. Not at the level of '55 or '59 or '66 or '68 or (the probably now peaking) '70, but very good.

Charbono tends to live almost forever - at least in the Inglenook incarnation, even from the post-Daniels/Deuer years when most of Inglenook's wines drifted into mediocrity.

It's not really a wine to be drunk young - the fruit isn't where the interest lies, it's in the complexity it develops with long bottle age. I think of it as, at its best, a near-great wine: sublime, but not quite at the level of great Cabernet (Napa or Bordeaux) or great Burgundy (Pinot rarely reaches true greatness outside of Burgundy...).

QPR was always spectacular - it was very cheap compared to Inglenook Cask or even regular Cabernet, and it was great sport to put down a case for around $12 in the late '60s. When I was in high school it was one of the few good wines my weekly allowance would cover the price of a case.

I don't know how this was made, so I can't make a cellar/drinking life suggestion for this wine, but for Charbono generally, I'd cellar at least 15 years. Longer than the minimum for Cabernet.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

jmackinac

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jmackinac
texacaliali wrote:Hi - Charbono was planted over 70 years ago in this particular spot in the Napa Valley - the Meyer Family Vineyard to be specific. The vineyard was planted from Inglenook cuttings.

UC Davis final discovery after DNA testing is that Charbono originated from the Savoie wine region in France - the far east near Switzerland and above the Rhone Valley. Oh and yes, it's a red wine.

Thank you. I could have googled that, but I wanted to get my point across that the writers of this junk never give the simplest information.

klezman

Found my tasting note now that CT is up again! (Thankfully I only lost a single note!)

"Quite tasty! Initial PnP was very fruity with nicely ripe cherry and blackberry. Flavours were similar with some spicy nuances as well with great balancing acidity. Slightly oaky finish, medium length.

With a little time, the flavours got a bit brighter, and the fruit character turned a bit toward the red end of the spectrum. I bet this wine will be quite nice for the next 5 years or so, and it's lovely now. It's got a lovely combination of floral characteristics with a meatiness that makes me want to keep going back for another sip."

So yeah, I liked it. With rpm's comments I'm intrigued at the idea of letting a bottle or two age 10+ years, but don't have the space for it! What to do, what to do...

2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

rjquillin

klezman wrote:If I wasn't overly full right now it'd be an autobuy at $21.66+tax/bottle. As it is I'll need to sleep on it.

Actually $23.40; want one?

CT

threekingsmo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages threekingsmo

What's up with the shipping lately? Even with places that have been able to ship to MO and now cannot?

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon

After 2 days with the tiny bit of air left in the split and then an hour more here once poured I can say that this wine has fleshed out significantly.

The bright acidity throughout is still there and there is a very nice earthy dark fruit note below it. The tannins are gone. If I had this blind I'd likely guess this to be a Spanish Tempranillo.

This is certainly a wine made for food with its acidity and I can easily see what RPM says about this wine being good aged.

I'll give this wine a "B" grade... With potential. I'm not going in on it though. Not my style, too much bright not enough of everything else.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

klezman

rjquillin wrote:Actually $23.40; want one?

Sure...what's one more bottle...
If you get 2 sets I'll take 2 if you want.

kylemittskus

threekingsmo wrote:What's up with the shipping lately? Even with places that have been able to ship to MO and now cannot?

There's a thread on the WoW thread.

rjquillin

klezman wrote:Sure...what's one more bottle...
If you get 2 sets I'll take 2 if you want.

could do. Do we then have another taker for 1/3?

CT

MarkDaSpark

rjquillin wrote:could do. Do we then have another taker for 1/3?

Oh fine, count me in. Darn enablers.

rjquillin

MarkDaSpark wrote:Oh fine, count me in. Darn enablers.

So, I order and we save 0.0075% on tax, or you order and it goes to the locker?
Or,
I could order and it could go to the locker.
I like that...
What address?

CT

socwallace

quality posts: 0 Private Messages socwallace

Not sure why I even check wine.woot anymore. delivery has shriveled. Shame.

klezman

rjquillin wrote:So, I order and we save 0.0075% on tax, or you order and it goes to the locker?
Or,
I could order and it could go to the locker.
I like that...
What address?

Nifty...so two bottles each! Delicious wine...enablers. OK, real SIWBM in effect!

rjquillin

klezman wrote:Nifty...so two bottles each! Delicious wine...enablers. OK, real SIWBM in effect!

on the way to Sparky's.

CT

skidd420

quality posts: 0 Private Messages skidd420

Seriously what is going on with the minimal shipping states? This was going to be a buy for me in AZ.

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 152 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

skidd420 wrote:Seriously what is going on with the minimal shipping states? This was going to be a buy for me in AZ.

Wine.Woot is not able to offer Wine deals in those states currently, but will be opening up additional states as laws and regulations regarding selling wine online continue to evolve.

The regulatory landscape is changing all of the time. We are diligently working through the issues.