CT link above

Winery website

Previous offer:
7/22/2013

[MOD EDIT: Updated most recent offer]

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

rjquillin

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rjquillin
Cesare wrote:Previous offer:
11/24/12

Most recent previous offer 7/22/2013
Last time I went to unofficially rat this from a bottle in the cellar, I dropped it and it was all for naught, but the aroma alone was nearly worth it. My storage room was instantly transformed into a barrel room.
Of course I reordered to replace the broken bottle, but don't expect any reports other than it smelled scrumptious.

CT

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 561 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

rjquillin wrote:Most recent previous offer 7/22/2013
Last time I went to unofficially rat this from a bottle in the cellar, I dropped it and it was all for naught, but the aroma alone was nearly worth it. My storage room was instantly transformed into a barrel room.
Of course I reordered to replace the broken bottle, but don't expect any reports other than it smelled scrumptious.

No, no, no, no. I EXPECT a report!

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• YOU MUST CONTACT CS. Do not post in the forum for help.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy[/b] ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

rjquillin

ThunderThighs wrote:No, no, no, no. I EXPECT a report!

TT, PM
But, but, but... The replacement order is residing in off-site storage. Lemme see if I can locate another, but it will take hours to decant.
Standby..

And what are you doing up on a Saturday morning?

Prior, non-notes:

Cracking this open provided one of the most intense and saturated bouquet and aromas of rich fruit I've experienced only two, or perhaps three times in my life. It so permeated the room, it instantly reminded me of some of the barrel rooms we visited.
And in keeping with my usual pics, both front and back are below.

..I was compelled to replace this shattered bottle, and did so from the previous offering , but it's bouquet will linger on...

CT

michilli40

quality posts: 0 Private Messages michilli40
rjquillin wrote:..I was compelled to replace this shattered bottle, and did so from the previous offering , but it's bouquet will linger on...

One does not cry over spilled milk but this....a tear just left my eye :_(

klinemic

quality posts: 3 Private Messages klinemic

Quality reviews: http://thewinespies.com/directory/wine/751

90 Points – Robert Parker – ...aromas of cassis, blueberry, and black cherry that jump from the glass. On the palate it is medium to full-bodied, layered, savory, and dense. It has enough structure to evolve for 1-2 years and the finish is long and pure. RP

88 Points – Wine Enthusiast – A different style of Mendoza Malbec (with 30% Merlot), and for the most part it’s intriguing and satisfying. For starters, the bouquet is a true bouquet: there’s funky spice, cinnamon stick and floral fruit aromas. The palate has some snap and acidic sharpness, but also good blackberry essence. Finishes smoother than up front, with woodspice and pepper coming on strong. Drink now through 2010. – M.S. (11/1/2008)

88 Points – Wine & Spirits

klinemic

quality posts: 3 Private Messages klinemic
klinemic wrote:Quality reviews: http://thewinespies.com/directory/wine/751

90 Points – Robert Parker – ...aromas of cassis, blueberry, and black cherry that jump from the glass. On the palate it is medium to full-bodied, layered, savory, and dense. It has enough structure to evolve for 1-2 years and the finish is long and pure. RP

88 Points – Wine Enthusiast – A different style of Mendoza Malbec (with 30% Merlot), and for the most part it’s intriguing and satisfying. For starters, the bouquet is a true bouquet: there’s funky spice, cinnamon stick and floral fruit aromas. The palate has some snap and acidic sharpness, but also good blackberry essence. Finishes smoother than up front, with woodspice and pepper coming on strong. Drink now through 2010. – M.S. (11/1/2008)

90 pts Wine Advocate Issue #180 Dec 2008
The 2005 Primera Reserva is composed of 70% Malbec and 30% Merlot. It received the same elevage as its younger sibling. It is a large-scaled, purple-colored wine with aromas of cassis, blueberry, and black cherry that jump from the glass. On the palate it is medium to full-bodied, layered, savory, and dense. It has enough structure to evolve for 1-2 years and the finish is long and pure.

loveladyelectric

quality posts: 23 Private Messages loveladyelectric
klinemic wrote:90 pts Wine Advocate Issue #180 Dec 2008
The 2005 Primera Reserva is composed of 70% Malbec and 30% Merlot. It received the same elevage as its younger sibling. It is a large-scaled, purple-colored wine with aromas of cassis, blueberry, and black cherry that jump from the glass. On the palate it is medium to full-bodied, layered, savory, and dense. It has enough structure to evolve for 1-2 years and the finish is long and pure.

The Robert Parker and Wine Advocate reviews are the same. The Wine Advocate was RP's newsletter until recently. Now I don't know what's going on there.

UBlink

quality posts: 18 Private Messages UBlink

One of the 2008 reviews says to drink by 2010. Last time I checked it's 2013. We know the nose is good thanks to rj, but any thoughts on whether it could be over the hill?

Following the eight word profile, political economy in eight words:
Ain't no free lunch - them what has gets.

rjquillin

UBlink wrote:One of the 2008 reviews says to drink by 2010. Last time I checked it's 2013. We know the nose is good thanks to rj, but any thoughts on whether it could be over the hill?

Cork to be pulled in a bit, will update.
Cork pulled, now in decanter...

CT

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 561 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

rjquillin wrote:...And what are you doing up on a Saturday morning? ...

As I do most mornings, I grab my iPad when I wake up and make sure the sites haven't imploded overnight. Then I either get up or roll back over to go back to sleep. This morning it was a little of both. Rolled over, couldn't sleep so I got up.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• YOU MUST CONTACT CS. Do not post in the forum for help.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy[/b] ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

rjquillin

Cork to be pulled in a bit, will update.
Cork pulled, now in decanter...
+1 hour
Dark, this is almost like a pet, pretty close to the WW banner background color, no brown or bricking.
Gobs of dark fruit on the nose just like I remember in my 'barrel room' a couple of months ago, less so on entry and through the middle palate.
Tannins seem to be resolving from earlier CT comments of a tannic beast, but are still present, as is a goodly amount of acid and a bit of alcohol. RS is not present, this is totally dry. Medium long finish with a bit of citrus that could just be the acid peaking through, and a touch of bitter.
This is at a warmer room temp, didn't notice those at PnP when it was cooler.

More to come...
and what to plan for supper with this?

CT

rjquillin

UBlink wrote:One of the 2008 reviews says to drink by 2010. Last time I checked it's 2013. We know the nose is good thanks to rj, but any thoughts on whether it could be over the hill?

Not having had this earlier in it's life, can't comment on it's evolution, but it is certainly drinkable now and seems to have tamed down from earlier comments.

CT

rjquillin

+7 hours
This has evolved a bit, but remains basically the same.
Alcohol has as expected totally blown off. Fruit largely unchanged, still dark berry and stone. Not quite as spicy as earlier and the tannins and acid well balanced. The slight bitterness on the finish has also receded.

Still happy to have bottles in the cellar.

CT

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
klinemic wrote:Quality reviews: http://thewinespies.com/directory/wine/751

I stopped reading at Robert Parker.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013