Vina Robles Vermentino 4-Pack
$59.99 $87.00 31% off List Price
2012 Vina Robles Vermentino, Huerhuero
CT link above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

cortot20

quality posts: 139 Private Messages cortot20

This is tempting but the creamy descriptor worries me. My wife likes light crisp whites like Pinot grigio, Albariño and others. I don't recall ever having a vermentino. Can someone describe the typical profile, mouthfeel and acidity? It would be very useful to me.

CT

shealady45

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shealady45

Tasting Notes
Color: Light straw
Aroma: Ripe pear, melon and citrus
Taste: Rich and creamy; intense notes of tangerine unfold into a persistent bouquet

inod3

quality posts: 6 Private Messages inod3

Sounds interesting. $18 a bottle though after tax and shipping. Anyone tried this before?

blipper67

quality posts: 7 Private Messages blipper67

I grow this grape in Central Texas (as do many others) and sourced my stock from Tablas Creek, Paso Robles via Novavine. This should be a great buy but it's certainly not "rich" by style, although they got the brix and alcohol rather high. Most harvest Vermentino around 22 brix. Acid is good. It's a crisp and dry wine, citrus flavor, much like a Pinot Grigio or Albarino.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
shealady45 wrote:Tasting Notes
Color: Light straw
Aroma: Ripe pear, melon and citrus
Taste: Rich and creamy; intense notes of tangerine unfold into a persistent bouquet

Did you happen to find a bottle or have you had this at the winery?

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
kylemittskus wrote:Did you happen to find a bottle or have you had this at the winery?

Those are the notes from the specs....

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

chuck718

quality posts: 4 Private Messages chuck718
cortot20 wrote:This is tempting but the creamy descriptor worries me. My wife likes light crisp whites like Pinot grigio, Albariño and others. I don't recall ever having a vermentino. Can someone describe the typical profile, mouthfeel and acidity? It would be very useful to me.

The Italian ones I've tasted (from Sardinia for sure, and I think also from more northerly regions) have been crisp and refreshing, good fish/seafood whites. But that's a world away from Paso Robles, land of 16% bruisers (whether that's a consequence of the climate or winemaking decisions)... I wouldn't necessarily expect the varietal character to show the same here as there.

trifecta

quality posts: 72 Private Messages trifecta

The benchmark for Paso Vermentino IMO is Tablas Creek. Consistently delicious and great balance. Good chance these vines came from Tablas. A bit curious about the numbers, because the Tablas V came in at 12.5% abv in 2012 vs. this wine at 14.9%.

Tablas has a short writeup regarding their Vermentino.

Winedavid39

quality posts: 200 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

Vina Robles was an early adopter of wine.woot. i'm a big fan of them and their wines. Consistently solid QPR.

a great intro to Vermentino IMO.

cortot20

I think that a couple a bucks less a bottle shipped I might given it a try but $17.71 is about three times the price of the white wine my wife has been drinking recently. (and really enjoying) So I think its a pass today.

CT

pseudogourmet98

quality posts: 17 Private Messages pseudogourmet98
cortot20 wrote:I think that a couple a bucks less a bottle shipped I might given it a try but $17.71 is about three times the price of the white wine my wife has been drinking recently. (and really enjoying) So I think its a pass today.

Wow. Are you seriously getting tasty $6 interesting whites? Where?

Edit: I've enjoyed the Renwood Viognier at about $6, but I would not compare it to this offering. (Seems apples to oranges).

cortot20

pseudogourmet98 wrote:Wow. Are you seriously getting tasty $6 interesting whites? Where?

Edit: I've enjoyed the Renwood Viognier at about $6, but I would not compare it to this offering. (Seems apples to oranges).

I'm not going high jack this offering with tales of good cheap wine found elsewhere. But the point was that at a couple of bucks less per bottle might have put this firmly in the buy category for me simply so my wife could try it. She really enjoyed a Vina Robles SB we picked up for around $9 a bottle a couple years back.

She likes what she likes and if it's ultra cheap I can only encourage it.

CT

UBlink

quality posts: 18 Private Messages UBlink
cortot20 wrote:

She likes what she likes and if it's ultra cheap I can only encourage it.

Wine Woot needs a like button.

Following the eight word profile, political economy in eight words:
Ain't no free lunch - them what has gets.

rjquillin

quality posts: 173 Private Messages rjquillin
cortot20 wrote:She likes what she likes and if it's ultra cheap I can only encourage it.

Moscato or Eis Wein for SWMBO here; yin-yang. Something in the middle would be nice, but not sure I'd trade her in tho'.

CT